University Hill Area - Seattle

repartee
  • Total Posts : 111
  • Reward points : 0
University Hill Area - Seattle - Thu, 07/17/03 5:51 AM
Thanks for all the info on Seattle as a whole. I think it'll be a toss up for 13 coins and Ivars, maybe Ettas for dinner but I'll be in the University Hill Area for lunch. Any recommendations around there and by the way, what does everybody think of Wholefoods and Frans Chocolates. I've been told to go there.

vinelady
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: University Hill Area - Seattle - Thu, 07/17/03 12:52 PM
Cedars is a wonderful place. Great Indian and Middle Eastern food, yummy.

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: University Hill Area - Seattle - Fri, 07/18/03 3:29 PM
The University District? Cedars is okay, but Agua Verde would be my choice. Down by the water, very tasty.

Fran's is a serious weakness of mine. Salted caramels and what is absolutely the definitive lemon ice cream; if it's not in the case, ask, because they usually have it in the back. It is beyond "good", it is beyond "great" - I utterly lack a word to describe their ice creams, and their lemon is the best of all.

Whole Foods is where I used to grocery shop. The produce is the best in Seattle (other than Sunday small-producer day at the Pike Place Market). The fish department is excellent as well. The salad bar is Pretty Good, and the deli takeaway options are tasty.

Eric

repartee
  • Total Posts : 111
RE: University Hill Area - Seattle - Sun, 07/20/03 6:15 AM
Okay, thanks for that Eric and vinelady.

I saw Fran's salt caramels in Gourmet and that's partly why I'm going. Anything caramel is heaven to me and with the added Fleur de Sel, well...........

Are they wonderful? I will get the lemon ice cream, thanks and as I make a lot of middle eastern food, may check out Agua Verde.

I've heard wholefoods had some amazing cheeses. As an ex deli manager, I'm rather a cheese freak. Any ones I should know about?

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: University Hill Area - Seattle - Mon, 07/21/03 11:56 AM
They *do* have a stunning cheese section - a lot of artisanal small producers, that they rot in store to the perfect degree of ...rottenness. They've got a beautiful mini-cave sorta case that seems to work quite well - it makes the adjacent wine section smell like decay and death. ;0)

(Can you tell I eschew cheese?)

Yes, the caramels are divine. Almost everything at Fran's is good, except the bottom of the boxes, which taste like cardboard when you attempt to lick out the last of the crumbs.

Eric