Jianbing in Pacific NW?

Junior Burger
2007/01/01 18:09:00
Anyone know of any place in the Pacific NW (particularly Seattle) where one can get jianbing? It is a sandwich of sorts made with a thin sesame seed pancake on which two eggs are fried. It is seasoned with, I think, some sort of green onion and spicy brown sauce. It is then folded over an airy crispy wheatish wafer, and eaten.

I was in Beijing recently, and fell in love with them. They were served everywhere on the streets by small merchants.
marzsit
Cheeseburger
RE: Jianbing in Pacific NW? 2007/01/01 20:38:02
i would spend an afternoon wandering through the international district, east of safeco field/qwest field in seattle and you will find that dish being made somewhere.. some of the best asian food in the country comes out of that tiny community. i would try house of hong, imperial garden and tai tung, all great restaurants imho, and all do dim sum as well as full table service. have fun :)
yumbo
Cheeseburger
RE: Jianbing in Pacific NW? 2007/01/04 19:48:23
I seriously doubt you would find Jian Bing in the I-District. Jian Bing is street food, and all of the restaurants in the ID serve sit-down food.

Here is the link to an earlier Road Food discussion (with video courtesy of YouTube): http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16537

Also, you might consider posting your question on Chow Hound. The audience there is a little different. I found a thread on it here: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/304640

Good luck with your search, and please let us know if you find any place state-side!

- Yumbo
marzsit
Cheeseburger
RE: Jianbing in Pacific NW? 2007/01/05 03:31:02
i'll ask around. i work 2 miles south of the id and have lots of asian co-workers. but i thought i saw something like that being served as dim sum somewhere..
Kenneth1000
Junior Burger
RE: Jianbing in Pacific NW? 2007/01/09 12:05:15
Much thanks for the replies. Marzsit, if you come up with something let me know. I'd be much obliged.

I spent one week in Beijing. I don't know what happens to Chinese food when it crosses the Atlantic, but everything was stunningly better than all the Chinese I had ever had. My hosts were fantastic -- almost too good. They kept feeding me and feeding me; and the different entrees were so good I couldn't stop eating even though I was absolutely stuffed.

Jianbing was surely part of the problem. I ate two of those sandwiches for breakfast every day. I just could not stop eating them. Such a simple thing: a sesame crepe with eggs and some seasoning. But the greatest breakfast sandwich in the history of humanity. They must have had 750 calories each.

I am pretty sure I broke a record for most weight gained in a week. I gained 12 pounds in 1 week. You could see it everywhere including my face.

My wife was not at all pleased upon my return. But I have managed to lose a couple of it.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Jianbing in Pacific NW? 2007/01/09 15:24:21
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth1000

I don't know what happens to Chinese food when it crosses the Atlantic, but everything was stunningly better than all the Chinese I had ever had.

Might have been the big pond not the little one, if it's street food you'll have to make it yourself.