In-A-Tub Tacos

Author Message
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 01/4/07 5:38 PM
0
Is there anyone out there that has had In-A-Tub tacos besides me? I remember getting them in Kansas City during my younger/crazier days. Greasy as hell, but in a good way.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 01/4/07 7:14 PM
0
What were they like Dog? Maybe we can make our own?
Joe

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 01/5/07 2:18 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

What were they like Dog? Maybe we can make our own?
Joe


I found a review on the place, and it seems to still be there. Reading the reviews now I know why they were so greasy. They actually put the meat (and powdered cheese?) into the shell, then deep fried them. May not sound too appealling, but my tastebuds remember that they were very good!

Here's the link to the review/comments:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2828840-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AtijNihfvjNAG3Wt8joSHbWGFmoL

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 01/5/07 2:28 PM
0
http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=502
What time did you spend in KC, DD?
In a Tub is still on N. Oak Trafficway, I believe. Zaatar?

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 01/5/07 3:13 PM
0
I read the reviews Dog. sounds like most folks love those tuby's. A mention was made about the great sauce, any input?

Bill, good info at the other thread, thanks. The ones kinda like tub's from Austin sould awsome. Not a bad sounding recipe for fried tacos on that thread.

It sounds like JNB maybe got their idea from the In-A-Tub place, maybe? Or, maybe it was an old style taco that almost went extinct.
Joe

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 01/5/07 3:30 PM
0
Joe, it seems to be a plains state thing, including adding peas in several locales.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 01/5/07 4:53 PM
0
Bill, it sounds like the "old fshioned tacos" from Nuevo Leon in Austin, that Bushie mentioned on the other thread, were kinda like the Tub's. Sounds like this type of taco is more popular in the plains states though. But, Jack In The Box must have gotten their idea from somewhere years ago, and now they are popular almost everywhere. Maybe not as good but real popular. I always wish JnB's had more, and beefier, stuff in them.

I'm going to try making them fried in olive or canola oil. Then they will be healthy food, well maybe healthy er.
Joe

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 01/5/07 11:48 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=502
What time did you spend in KC, DD?
In a Tub is still on N. Oak Trafficway, I believe. Zaatar?



Hey, Bill. I lived in Mission during the mid-80's. My brother lived up in Liberty at that time and he used to go to In-A Tub quite often, that's how I remember the place. Haven't had them since. Every time I'm back in KC, it's usually Haywards, Stroud's and Bo-Ling's on the top of my list.

Next time I'm back I'll e sure to make a trip up to the Tub, camera in hand, of course.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 01/6/07 10:16 AM
0
Pretty funny DD. One of the incarnations of my used Record Store was in Mission as I'm a Roeland Park and Shawnee Mission North guy.
My lifelong friend and fellow Missionite Ricky is a damn good Photographer
who's lived down your way since the 80's.
http://rickodellphoto.com/
Arizona Highways: Gateway to an Inspiring Land
...The tradition of those photographers continues today with the superb photographic work of people like Jack Dykinga, Nick Berezenko, George Stocking, Tom Danielsen, Willard Clay, Larry Ulrich, Rick Danley, Kerrick James, Gary Ladd, Edward McCain, Robert McDonald, Chuck Lawsen, Randy Prentice, Laurence Parent, Bernadette Heath, Peter Nobles, Larry Lindhal, Rick Odell, Tom Till, Don Stevenson, George H. H. Huey, Jerry Sieve, David Elms, David Smith and dozens more
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As far as the Ozarks, my sister and Brother in Law own about 1/2 of Billings, not far from Nixa. His whole family have farmed that area for a 100 years.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/5/2004
  • Location: kansas city, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 01/6/07 11:50 AM
0
In-A-Tub is still on North Oak, and there may be another one still in Riverside. My sister lives 3 minutes from the one on North Oak. Too close, my sister says! They taste pretty much the same as when I was in Junior High. A good friend of mine's mother worked there for 25 years, back when they were on the other side of the street.

Pocket Burgers are still a popular item. When I didn't eat meat I always got cheese tacos. They would put what tasted like a mild cheddar, probably processed, with all the other stuff, and deep fry them. They weren't as oily as it sounds.

I must admit, I haven't had anything other than a diet soda from them for years. My sister and I, when driving by, avert our eyes at the proper moment.

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 01/6/07 3:16 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Pretty funny DD. One of the incarnations of my used Record Store was in Mission as I'm a Roeland Park and Shawnee Mission North guy.
My lifelong friend and fellow Missionite Ricky is a damn good Photographer
who's lived down your way since the 80's.
http://rickodellphoto.com/
Arizona Highways: Gateway to an Inspiring Land
...The tradition of those photographers continues today with the superb photographic work of people like Jack Dykinga, Nick Berezenko, George Stocking, Tom Danielsen, Willard Clay, Larry Ulrich, Rick Danley, Kerrick James, Gary Ladd, Edward McCain, Robert McDonald, Chuck Lawsen, Randy Prentice, Laurence Parent, Bernadette Heath, Peter Nobles, Larry Lindhal, Rick Odell, Tom Till, Don Stevenson, George H. H. Huey, Jerry Sieve, David Elms, David Smith and dozens more
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As far as the Ozarks, my sister and Brother in Law own about 1/2 of Billings, not far from Nixa. His whole family have farmed that area for a 100 years.


Looks like I keep following you around Bill. Wonder if this means I'll end up in Oregon one day!

Something also a bit funny, my Great Grandmother and her parents came over to the states from Voss, Norway back in the 1890's. I have all the info on where their farm is/was, plan on getting over there sometime. Suppposed to be a beautiful area.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sun, 01/7/07 12:21 AM
0
Voss is the Ashland of Norway.

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sun, 01/7/07 2:05 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Voss is the Ashland of Norway.


Then it'll definitely be worth the trip! Ashland sounds like a nice place....not that I'm planning on moving there or anything.

Bill, what do you know about this wine? We had it tonight with dinner, really liked it. Are you familiar with the producer?


desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sun, 01/7/07 9:59 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by zataar

In-A-Tub is still on North Oak, and there may be another one still in Riverside. My sister lives 3 minutes from the one on North Oak. Too close, my sister says! They taste pretty much the same as when I was in Junior High. A good friend of mine's mother worked there for 25 years, back when they were on the other side of the street.

Pocket Burgers are still a popular item. When I didn't eat meat I always got cheese tacos. They would put what tasted like a mild cheddar, probably processed, with all the other stuff, and deep fry them. They weren't as oily as it sounds.

I must admit, I haven't had anything other than a diet soda from them for years. My sister and I, when driving by, avert our eyes at the proper moment.



Hey Zataar, Why don't you do a little "recon" for us? Maybe nab a pic or two...

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sun, 01/7/07 11:08 AM
0
And, whats a pocket burger? Kinda like a slider?
Joe

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/5/2004
  • Location: kansas city, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sun, 01/7/07 12:06 PM
0
A pocket burger is more loosemeat than slider. It's texture is similar to Nu-ways but the flavor is different. I'll see what I can do about getting some photos of tacos posted soon.

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sun, 01/7/07 12:11 PM
0
Cool. Thanks, Zataar!

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Wed, 01/17/07 8:23 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Bill, it sounds like the "old fshioned tacos" from Nuevo Leon in Austin, that Bushie mentioned on the other thread, were kinda like the Tub's. Sounds like this type of taco is more popular in the plains states though. But, Jack In The Box must have gotten their idea from somewhere years ago, and now they are popular almost everywhere. Maybe not as good but real popular. I always wish JnB's had more, and beefier, stuff in them.

I'm going to try making them fried in olive or canola oil. Then they will be healthy food, well maybe healthy er.
Joe



Ever get around to making these, Joe?



PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Wed, 01/17/07 11:32 AM
0
Not yet Dog but they are on my list. I think I will make mine as full of meat as I can get them, and put lettuce and tomatoes maybe on top, not inside. Oh, hot sauce maybe on top, jalappenos, and salsa on the side. Hmm, maybe some cheese inside? I'm confused now. What do the Tub's have inside?

Those pocket burgers sound good also! Thanks Zataar!
Joe

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Wed, 01/17/07 3:03 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Not yet Dog but they are on my list. I think I will make mine as full of meat as I can get them, and put lettuce and tomatoes maybe on top, not inside. Oh, hot sauce maybe on top, jalappenos, and salsa on the side. Hmm, maybe some cheese inside? I'm confused now. What do the Tub's have inside?

Those pocket burgers sound good also! Thanks Zataar!
Joe


As I recall they were just meat...powdered Cheese ends up on them in the end, and they are piable enough to open and stash other things although I think I only added Taco Sauce.

Wish I had a trip to KC planned in the near future...love the food up there!

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/5/2004
  • Location: kansas city, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Wed, 01/17/07 3:39 PM
0
Hey guys, I'm still trying to get to In-A-Tub for a photo shoot. We had a big ice storm here this weekend, and I've been working alot this week. But it will be soon!
In the '60s and '70s the deep - fried tacos were fried, then topped with shredded lettuce and powdered cheese. We'll see if they still do that. I'll post pocket burger pictures on the burger thread with a detailed description. Hopefully it will be this weekend.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Wed, 01/17/07 4:35 PM
0
Great Zataar! I was gona say we might need a thread about those burgers. They sound kinda messy to put in your pocket though.

Lettuce but no tamatoes, probably because of that sauce they have I bet. I will probably use real cheese for my tacos. I hate to rob a box of mack n cheese for that powdered stuff.
Joe

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Wed, 01/17/07 5:27 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by zataar

Hey guys, I'm still trying to get to In-A-Tub for a photo shoot. We had a big ice storm here this weekend, and I've been working alot this week. But it will be soon!
In the '60s and '70s the deep - fried tacos were fried, then topped with shredded lettuce and powdered cheese. We'll see if they still do that. I'll post pocket burger pictures on the burger thread with a detailed description. Hopefully it will be this weekend.



MMMM, can't wait to see them!


Joe, will you be keeping a photographic journal of your experiment?

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Tue, 01/23/07 10:32 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by desertdog

quote:
Originally posted by zataar

Hey guys, I'm still trying to get to In-A-Tub for a photo shoot. We had a big ice storm here this weekend, and I've been working alot this week. But it will be soon!
In the '60s and '70s the deep - fried tacos were fried, then topped with shredded lettuce and powdered cheese. We'll see if they still do that. I'll post pocket burger pictures on the burger thread with a detailed description. Hopefully it will be this weekend.



MMMM, can't wait to see them!


Joe, will you be keeping a photographic journal of your experiment?



PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!!!!!



zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/5/2004
  • Location: kansas city, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 01/27/07 6:12 PM
0
Here are some photos from IN-A-TUB
[img][/img]

Notice the crimped edges on the shell. The tacos were surprisingly ungreasy. I forgot that ordering hot is not hot, we should have gotten extra hot.
[img][/img]

A close up of the very yellow cheese powder.
[img][/img]

A look at the interior.
[img][/img]

It had been years since I'd eaten here. It was the first time for my husband. We have another convert to deep fried tacos! He really liked it. The place was totally spotless and staffed by a group of young people who actually seemed to be enjoying themselves.
The tacos cost about $1.09 each. We got 2 tacos, 1 large pocket burger, 1 order of very good fries and 2 drinks. Total, $8.64.

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 01/27/07 6:33 PM
0
Sweet!

Those look great! I gotta get back to KC soon! In the meantime I may have to make some of my own...next time Wifey is out of town, of course.

Is the powdered cheese like from the packs in the cheapo Mac and Cheese? Pricewise they have gone up, but hell that was, yeah, quite a few years ago....I think we were getting them 3 for a buck. Oh well, that won't stop me from making the pilgramage north!

Thanks, you guys for getting by and taking pics...glad to hear there is a convert in your midst! Now go treat yourselves to some Stroud's!

Dean

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/20/2003
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 01/27/07 8:32 PM
0
What is the purpose of the cheese dust? Have I missed something here?

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/5/2004
  • Location: kansas city, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 01/27/07 8:59 PM
0
It's a regional thing, you can't understand...

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 01/27/07 9:44 PM
0
If only they had peas in em. Sigh.......
Z, what do you think they clamp them with?

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/5/2004
  • Location: kansas city, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sun, 01/28/07 11:52 AM
0
I couldn't really see into the kitchen well. I have no idea how they do it. The tacos are fried to order, then opened for the lettuce, cheese powder and sauce. The ordering system is similar to Gate's BBQ. When you order, the cashier shouts each item to the kitchen as you order it.

eb
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/16/2005
  • Location: Smithville, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Wed, 01/31/07 1:52 AM
0
I went to the Smithville In-A-Tub tonight and they have a 69cent taco special Monday thru Friday from 5 till 9. Yum!

NuggetOfNerdlyness
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/30/2007
  • Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 03/30/07 5:23 PM
0
I see that you are all curious on how In A Tub Tacos are made. Well seeing as I work there I will share some insight. What they do is take a corn tortilla spoon a little meat in there, for Regs. Clip them closed. Drop them in the fryer until they are done. When they are done the use a knife to cut them open after they have removed the clips. Then from there they proceed to stuff them with lettuce, what ever degree of hot sauce you would like, and then top it off with a sprinkle of powdered cheese.

The same goes for Meat, Bean and Cheese tacos except they add beans and a slice of american cheese in with the meat before the fry it and same thing with the Meat and Cheese tacos...they just put a slice of american cheese minus the beans.

That is how it is done. Anymore questions just ask.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/5/2004
  • Location: kansas city, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 03/30/07 6:05 PM
0
What ever it is you guys are doing, just keep doing it. I used to eat at In-A-Tub years and years ago when it was on the other side of North Oak. They were alot greasier then. I really was impressed at how NOT greasy there are now.

Welcome to Roadfood!

NuggetOfNerdlyness
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/30/2007
  • Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 03/31/07 1:01 AM
0
Thanks. :) We kinda let them sit a little before we cut them open now so they aren't AS greasy. We started serving ice cream again like they used to when it was on the other side of n. oak.

TCarro
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/26/2007
  • Location: Pleasant Hill, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 04/26/07 9:23 AM
0
I cant believe I ran into this thread about these tacos! I grew up in Liberty and spent alot of time running around in the Antioch/N Oak area so knew In A Tub well.
They actually even built an In a Tub IN Liberty for awhile but for some reason the tacos just werent as good there. We moved waay South of the river several years ago so trips to In a Tub are few and far between these days. Would LOVE to be able to make these at home.

Anyway...questions for you Nugget...

What was the meat seasoned with?
What kind of beans were in the meat/bean/cheese tacos?
What did you use to clamp them shut to fry them?
Do you have any idea how the sauce was made? The sauce really seemed to pull it all together.
Thanks in advance from one happy newbie to this site!

LegalLady
  • Total Posts : 404
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/3/2004
  • Location: Oshkosh, NE
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 04/26/07 9:40 AM
0
We have deep fried tacos out here too, but that powdered chees looks gross. At Taco Town they are large flour tortillas, no beans, lots of meat, fried then lettuce, tomato, & cheddar cheese are added. Served with homemade hot sauce. YUM YUM!

The Judge

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 04/26/07 11:58 AM
0
Ms. Judge,
I'd call those Chimichangas.

NuggetOfNerdlyness
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/30/2007
  • Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 04/28/07 5:29 PM
0
What was the meat seasoned with?

Well, I would tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you. :D Actually I don't even know if I'm allowed to say.

What kind of beans were in the meat/bean/cheese tacos?

As for the beans well, they are your everyday ranch style bean.

What did you use to clamp them shut to fry them?

The clips are actually metal clips used in hair salons and what not. You could probably go to a beauty supply store and pick some up.

Do you have any idea how the sauce was made? The sauce really seemed to pull it all together.

Well the sauce is pre-made in jugs. I can't remember the brand off the top of my head cause its spelled funny. However, the x-hot sauce is actually just the hot sauce with an added bonus of crushed jalapeno peppers. So, you have the choice of mild, hot or x-hot sauce.


On another note. I have to say that what "The Judge" posted would be chimichangas. We don't even have tomatoes so its not even the same.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 04/28/07 6:14 PM
0
By " everyday ranch style bean" do you mean in the style of the Ranch Style beans brand or pintos?

NuggetOfNerdlyness
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/30/2007
  • Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Mon, 04/30/07 2:34 PM
0
Probably just the pinto beans. I'd have to actually look at the can that is used to tell you for sure. I don't spend much time in the back where everything is stored.

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/18/2006
  • Location: Schertz, TX
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Tue, 05/1/07 3:12 PM
0
Rick Walsh in his book Tex_Mex has about deep fried tacos.That the tortillas were originally stuffed with meat and then fried.After which they were pried open to add the cheese lettuce and tomatoes,etc.Very few places make tacos this way anymore.Many,not just Taco Bell use the pre-formed taco shells instead of doing it this way.

NuggetOfNerdlyness
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/30/2007
  • Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 05/3/07 11:30 PM
0
Its not a widely practiced form of doing tacos anymore.

LibertyLady
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/15/2007
  • Location: Liberty, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Tue, 05/15/07 10:14 AM
0
I worked at In-A-Tub when I was 15 years old. I still eat at In-A-Tub and the only thing different is the price. When I worked there they sold them 2 for a quarter. I know, unbelievable! Actually when the owner, Marianne C, first owned the store the hot item was their 37 flavors of ice cream. We cooked the meat 25 pounds at a time and used the retro hair clips to hold the shell together while deep frying them. At that time the sauce they used was Spanish Gardens. Fun reading.

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/24/2006
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Tue, 05/15/07 10:57 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by LibertyLady

I worked at In-A-Tub when I was 15 years old. I still eat at In-A-Tub and the only thing different is the price. When I worked there they sold them 2 for a quarter. I know, unbelievable! Actually when the owner, Marianne C, first owned the store the hot item was their 37 flavors of ice cream. We cooked the meat 25 pounds at a time and used the retro hair clips to hold the shell together while deep frying them. At that time the sauce they used was Spanish Gardens. Fun reading.



Welcome to Roadfood, Libertylady! Love to hear stories of KC. My "fondest memory of Liberty is being there back in 84-85 in the winter, standing on the grounds of the courthouse? in the snow, with the bank temperature showing -16 at 2:14 in the afternoon! (still have the pic somewhere!

My brother lived in Liberty for many years...



NuggetOfNerdlyness
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/30/2007
  • Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Sat, 05/19/07 2:29 AM
0
In A Tub still uses the retro hair clips. :D The sauce we use now is Silas hot sauce and mild sauce. The ice cream is slowly being brought back, maybe eventually the 37 flavors will return who knows.

keetrock
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/31/2007
  • Location: Luke AFB, AZ
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Tue, 07/31/07 10:26 PM
0
If I remember correctly, and this is what the elderly lady that used to own/run the place back in the early 90's told me, I think they use masa flour in the meat. I am in the Air Force and was home on leave, and was talking to her while eating my 6 meat and cheese w/ hot sauce. I told her how much I missed them and she told me how they did it. I can't remember the measurement though...for some reason 1 cup of masa flour per pound of meat comes to mind...but I may be wrong. Hope this helps.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 08/2/07 12:55 PM
0
Ahhh, masa in tha meat! And Silas hot sauce! Now to find those hair clips. Thanks yall!

Hmm, I bet Ranch Style brand beans smushed up and refried would be good in a taco???
Joe

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 08/2/07 1:03 PM
0
pj8, you've been missed. Spanish Gardens was good too. Made for years right across from the steel plant in Argentine. We always had their taco seasoning around.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/13/2006
  • Location: Dallas... DFW area
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 08/2/07 1:32 PM
0
Thanks Bill! Good to be back.

I have tried to make these type of tacos since this thread started. I had trouble geting the tortillas right. I'm going to try again if I can just find those hair clips. The temp of the greese is important I think.
Joe

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 08/2/07 1:45 PM
0
It's a quick dip in very hot oil. Maybe someone can chip in with the time.
They ARE hard to make at home; maybe that's why they're such a great treat at a drive in.

LibertyLady
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/15/2007
  • Location: Liberty, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Thu, 08/2/07 7:05 PM
0
Hey everyone, I found some of those retro hair clips on eBay. Not very expensive either and shipping was practically nothing since they are so light. Now all we need is the recipe for the spices. Good Eating everyone!

NuggetOfNerdlyness
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/30/2007
  • Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: In-A-Tub Tacos - Fri, 08/17/07 7:07 PM
0
We put Cumin, Black Pepper, flour(probably mesa flour which has been said already), soy, beef stock, and Worcestershire's sauce I believe don't hold me to it. As for how much per pound...i have no idea. The tacos sit in about 350 degrees of heated grease or so, I'm not entirely sure on that fact. It doesn't day but a couple of minutes or so for a taco to cook. Four at the most. There is a knack to actually making these tacos. You place the corn tortilla in your hand flat, place your slice of cheese first, then a teaspoon of meat, and then a teaspoon of beans, fold in half then slide the clips on the sides of the tacos, but be sure to make sure you leave the top open to cut them open. Repeat the process for Meat and Cheese, along with Meat(regular) tacos. Just minus a few steps.