Chicken Stew

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 2:25 PM
Once I started pulling chicken out of that freezer, there was just more and more. Way more than I needed for my gumbo. So, I'm thinking about chicken stew. Maybe something Southwestern with corn and zucchini? But I'm open for anything that sounds good. I hope you all aren't tired of my cooking binge yet

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 2:41 PM
What about caccatore(sp?)easy, light, but yet filling, over some egg noodles, maybe a slice or two of garlic bread. Hmmm, sounds like what I'll have for my Sunday dinner!

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3557
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 2:44 PM
No.......we're just waiting for your SoCal cooking party!

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 2:45 PM
Elise, why not go snooty and make coq au vin? The classic chicken stew! The worst part, though, will be peeling all the pearl onions. Some green beans on the side, nice crusty buttered French bread....

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 3:01 PM
I vote for chicken and dumplings!

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 3:13 PM
Here is one of our favorites, especially in the winter (if we get one!) yum!

CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound chicken, cubed
1/2 cup diced onion
1 clove garlic, pressed
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup masa harina
3 cups water
1 cup enchilada sauce ( I like to use Old Elpaso, medium)
16 ounces Velveeta (can use longhorn or other cheddar)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin

Garnish
shredded cheddar cheese
crumbled corn tortilla chips
pico de gallo (from recipe for Chili's Nacho Burger)

1. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side. Set chicken aside.
2. Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent. Add chicken broth.
3. Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended. Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.
4. Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.
5. Shred the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the pot. Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.
6. Serve soup in cups or bowls, and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips, and pico de gallo. Makes approx. 12 servings.

elcoraidercheer
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 3:33 PM
Chicken Pot-pie!!! Just cut some chicken and put it in a frying pan with a little bit of water and some saffron. When cooked thru just throw the chicken, some carrots, quartered potatoes, and celery in a pot with some chicken broth and minced parsley. Cook on med. heat. While that's cooking make the noodles: 2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs(mix together until stiff dough forms, add water as needed). Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 2 inch squares. When potatoes start to soften add dough and cook for 10-12 more min (until noodles are done).
I really enjoy this stuff, it's great!! Try it sometime!

EliseT
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 3:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

No.......we're just waiting for your SoCal cooking party!

Wait til the weather cools down a bit, and a Roadfood potluck might not be a bad idea! It's too darn hot for me to be in this house, much less have company. I can't wait for that first big tax refund to install central air!

I wonder if I made a variation on the enchilada soup, like a stew, and made cornmeal dumplings...

EliseT
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 3:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

Elise, why not go snooty and make coq au vin? The classic chicken stew! The worst part, though, will be peeling all the pearl onions. Some green beans on the side, nice crusty buttered French bread....

Do you really have to flambe coq a vin with brandy or is that just pretentiousness?

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3557
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 4:10 PM
I have to say-----I made a few chicken pot pies a week ago and they were delicious. It's another thing that you just can't find right ihn a restaurant around here. The enchilada soup as a stew does sound delicious and the cornmeal dumplings too although I just don't know if they'd have the tenderness of regular dumplings. Interesting idea though! Maybe if they were made like the dough from tamales......

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 4:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
Do you really have to flambe coq a vin with brandy or is that just pretentiousness?

Oh my goodness! I don't know! HAHAHAHAHA!! I've certainly never flambed mine! Too scary! I can just see me trying (unsuccessfully) to do this!! NO EYEBROWS!

I went to a demonstration cooking class, which is where I got my recipe from. The teacher didn't flambe it either (and he was tres French). But he DID pull it off the bone before serving. Unlike some restaurants I've had it in. I think it is nicer that way.

Meowzart

EliseT
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 4:56 PM
I saw something on the Food channel...something-or-other 911 and he was teaching a woman how to flambe coq a vin without burning her house down, which she had apparantly done in the past.

Linda Gebhardt
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 5:14 PM
Elise, how about chicken salad? Either that or cook half for the chicken salad and have the other half as cold chicken as an easy supper some evening.Too hot to really cook in the Summer.

EliseT
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 6:13 PM
You know, I never think to make chicken salad. I have a whole chicken that I wasn't looking forward to hacking up. I can boil that and stew the individual pieces I have. How do you make yours?

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 07/18/03 10:32 PM
I made a chicken salad back at Christmas time that was a big hit. I only used boneless thighs, which gave me a nice moist meat. I made this a pasta salad, using a small shell. I added dried cranberries & some chopped walnuts and a little celery. As a binder I used mayo mixed with a walnut sage pesto that is made by Bella Cucina Artful Food (I get it at a local organic store). I took it to a party of picky ladies & didn't have any to bring back.

kangolpimp
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: Chicken Stew - Sat, 07/19/03 2:06 AM
I make chicken salad from the chicken I've just cooked in chicken soup. I will often use the entire chicken for salad, and leave the soup without any chicken chunks. If I am adding noodles or matzoballs, it doesn't need solid chicken, it's so redolent of heady chicken broth already. Soup chicken is so falling off the bone tender that it works very well in chicken salad, provided you don't want toothsome cubes of chicken in your salad, which some people prefer. Myself, I like my chicken salad to be in a mashed state, rather like tuna salad. It's easier to eat in sandwiches like this and I think it tastes better, too. Simply pick off all meat from the carcass using just a fork, or a knife if you'd rather. Place in large bowl. Add chopped scallions, chopped fresh dill, lots of mayo, black pepper, and a little bit of salt. It's probably salty enough from the soup. A few dashes of hot sauce finishes the dish. For a great variation, double the amount of veggies in your chicken soup, such as carrots, celery, parsnips - whatever you'd normally use in your soup. And take these extra veggies, all tender from the soup, and mix them into your chicken salad. They will all but fall apart when you toss it with mayo, but that's ok, you want taste, not texture in this variant. It's really good this way.

But Elise, good as this chicken salad is, my first instinct was to suggest that you make a huge pot of white chili, which uses chicken in place of red meat. White chili calls for lots of chicken, and can be consumed in summer as easily as winter - and besides, you do pea soup in July anyway!

EliseT
RE: Chicken Stew - Sat, 07/19/03 5:28 AM
I once dropped a huge bowl of white chili all over the carpet. It took me forever to get the melted Jack cheese out. I have been angry with white chili ever since. I ended up making a stew with chicken, zucchini, onion, red bell pepper, corn on the cob (cut into 1" pieces, but not removed from the cob), hominy, tomato, green chiles, and a bunch of different ground chili powders and spices. It came out so good I'm hesitant to try making dumplings and risk messing it up.

kangolpimp
RE: Chicken Stew - Sat, 07/19/03 9:00 AM
Don't hesitate - simply cook the dumplings separately, either in water or chicken stock, and if they don't combine well with the dish, they will go with lots of other dishes, or just eat them on the side.

Mayhaw Man
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Chicken Stew - Sat, 07/19/03 9:35 AM
If you are too lazy or in too big of a hurry to make dumplings, a pretty good substitute is flour tortillas cut into squares. They puff up suprisingly well and taste great.

EliseT
RE: Chicken Stew - Sat, 07/19/03 4:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kangolpimp

Don't hesitate - simply cook the dumplings separately, either in water or chicken stock, and if they don't combine well with the dish, they will go with lots of other dishes, or just eat them on the side.

You are a genius! OK, what about dumplings made with heavy cream vs. butter? I found recipes for both.

kangolpimp
RE: Chicken Stew - Sun, 07/20/03 11:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
OK, what about dumplings made with heavy cream vs. butter? I found recipes for both.

Sorry for not getting back sooner on this, I just noticed your question. The good news is, you don't have to choose, butter and heavy cream will work together to make a sinfully rich dumpling. My favorite dumplings (of the chicken & dumplings variety) use vegetable shortening in place of the butter, and buttermilk in place of the heavy cream. I will have to ask my Mom for her exact recipe, but you can make buttermilk biscuit dough, it is virtually identical to this. Simply pinch off small pieces, (maybe half an inch high and 1.5 inches wide) and drop into boiling water or chicken stock for 10 to 12 minutes instead of baking as a biscuit. This will produce thick, chewy dumplings, which I prefer. If you want the thin kind that resemble flat noodles, you will have to roll out the dough and cut to your specified shape.

Hiram Callahan
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Chicken Stew - Mon, 07/28/03 12:23 PM
While this thread may be played out, I do have two thoughts to add:

1) Hopkins County Chicken Stew:

I saw this on that mildly annoying food-festival show on Food Network and was intrigued. Basically it's a stew of chicken, onions, corn, potatoes and tomatoes. I made it when chicken legs were on sale (that's $.39/lb here in New York).

First, I browned the chicken. I then put the chicken in a dutch oven with water, barbecue sauce, the trimmings of some onions, some garlic, some celery leaves, a carrot, a couple of slices of turkey bacon that were in the fridge, cumin, paprika, salt, peppercorns, and the water from the canned tomatoes and corn that were to go in later. I cooked this for an hour or so till the chicken was cooked, then removed the chicken. I let the chicken cool, then removed the meat from the bones. I returned the bones and skin to the pot and let the stock cook for another hour or so. I scooped the stuff out of the stock and let it cool.

With the stock cool, I removed the fat from the top, and poured the stock into a bowl. I then melted some of the fat in the pot and sauteed the onions--diced--with some garlic, salt, cumin and paprika. To this I added the cut-up chicken, the stock, a 28-oz. can of diced tomatoes, a 14-oz can of kernel corn and about 2 1/2 lbs. of diced potatoes. I cooked it some more, added more cumin, paprika and barbecue sauce and had a cheap, yummy meal.

I grew up in New Jersey and so have no idea whether this is even remotely authentic (my Brooklyn-born girlfriend wasn't much help), but it sure tasted good.

2) This is from Mitchell Davis's "The Mensch Chef." Basically, you flour and lightly fry a cut-up chicken. Then you saute some onions, garlic and mushrooms, add 1 TBSP tomato paste, 1 c. white wine, paprika, salt and pepper, and a couple of cut-up potatoes and stew. Mmmm. I like to serve it with additional sauteed mushrooms and boiled egg noodles. Since this is mine culturally, I feel pretty confident saying it's right on.

Hiram Callahan
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Chicken Stew - Mon, 07/28/03 12:25 PM
CRUCIAL MISSING INGREDIENT TO MENSCH CHEF CHICKEN STEW RECIPE ABOVE:

WATER--the recipe calls for seven cups!

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

EliseT
RE: Chicken Stew - Tue, 07/29/03 6:18 PM
It's never too late for a good recipe!

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
RE: Chicken Stew - Tue, 07/29/03 7:17 PM
What about Chicken Pilau?

Ingredients

1-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 pound boiled ham, diced
1-1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 cups long-grain white rice
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions (green and white parts)
1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup frozen peas
3-1/2 cups Chicken Stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a large oven-proof saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook for 2 minutes. Add the onions, celery, salt, pepper, and bay leaves and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat. Add the green onions, tomatoes, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Stir in the peas and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let stand, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
Before serving, fluff the rice with a fork.
Pilau and pilaf are first cousins! This dish, which can be rice or bulghur-based, originated in the Near East. You begin by first browning the rice in butter or oil before adding water or stock. The dish can be variously seasoned and usually contains cooked chopped vegetables, meats, seafood, or poultry. It's easily prepared and can accompany a variety of foods. You'll really be surprised at how versatile it is. Be creative and add whatever chopped vegetables - like yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, green beans - you've got on hand, or whatever suits your fancy. The important thing is the proportion of liquid to rice.

Source: From Prime Time Emeril by Emeril's Food of Love Productions LLC. 2001 HarperCollins Publishers. Used by permission.
Author: Emeril Lagasse

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6220
RE: Chicken Stew - Fri, 08/1/03 3:21 AM
Why don't you try a Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Stew? I used to make it in my restaurant (sometimes substituting beef for chicken) and everyone loved it. I don't have a recipe, I just used to throw the ingredients in: onion, garlic, chicken, beans, chicken stock, jalapenos, tomatoes, after it all cooked, I added diced 5-color peppers and sweet corn cut off the cob. Serve it up in bowls with really good aged shredded cheddar, a dollop of fresh guacamole and another dollop of sour cream. Oh yeah, don't forget the cumin, coriander while cooking and the fresh cilantro at the end.