SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about??

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Filet Mignon
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2007/02/22 18:22:58
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

When I went through basic at San Antonio with the Air National Guard in 1964, SOS was a regular at breakfast with chipped beef. I liked it then and I like it now.

They also had cheese toast which I always enjoyed.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Me too, in 1959.

John
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2007/02/22 18:59:56
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

When I went through basic at San Antonio with the Air National Guard in 1964, SOS was a regular at breakfast with chipped beef. I liked it then and I like it now.

They also had cheese toast which I always enjoyed.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

It was chipped beef at Lackland AFB in 1959.

John
Barbarainnc
Hamburger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2007/02/22 20:35:44
Hey I had it for supper last night, the Marine version. sure was good!!!!!!
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2007/02/22 21:51:21
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleBYep, used to eat this all the time as a kid. BTW, it's pretty good over egg noodles too.
I thought that was stroganoff. Shows what I knows.
boyardee65
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2007/02/27 12:47:14
My dad was in the ARMY and we ate SOS a lot as it was inexpensive and easy to make. We used hamburger only!!! I've had it in many chow halls all over the world and almost always it was made with hamburger.
By the way I also love sausage gravy on biscuits. Made with the same recipe excepting the meat.

David O.
nicvic2
Junior Burger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2008/02/23 23:55:25
S***on a shingle during WWII was creamed chipped beef. There was no ground beef in any Island chow hall or fighting base. They obviously used the dried meat sent from the states. It was served altot and received the moniker Sos 'cause it got served often and sometimes had a look of,.........well you know.
Most of us use ground beef today. Is todays chipped beef the stuff in a jar? Oh man does Sos taste great when you slice in half a croissant, lightly toast, some scrambled eggs on top and pour some freshly made sos all over! Just one more way to get a frog p.....d off!
doggydaddy
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2008/03/02 07:11:04

Here is my version with sausage on two biscuits with a poached egg. Shredded hash browns are on the side.

Went shopping and found this hidden on the shelves. I'll use this in the future. On the back is a recipe for BBQ beef, which is this stuff mixed with sauce. That has to be pretty bad.

mark
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2008/03/03 17:27:52
quote:
Originally posted by doggydaddy

Here is my version with sausage on two biscuits with a poached egg. Shredded hash browns are on the side.

Went shopping and found this hidden on the shelves. I'll use this in the future. On the back is a recipe for BBQ beef, which is this stuff mixed with sauce. That has to be pretty bad.

mark

Very nice Mark, wish I had that for dinner tonight.
ChicagoIrish
Hamburger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2008/03/11 12:21:39
To keep the cost of SOS down, and if you can find it, try using the Carl Buddig beef. It isn't dried so no need to rinse salt out and has the same taste as the Hormel dried stuff in the little jar. It's also pretty inexpensive...so you can have SOS more often!
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2008/03/15 06:04:40
Interesting topic. I always thought S.O.S. was chipped beef and the other was hamburger gravy. But here is a little ditty that telegraphers will know:

three dot, four dot, two dot, dash,
they serve it in the army and they call it hash.
rosco
Junior Burger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/04/26 09:55:32
I've been reading topics on this board for a while now but decided to sign-up so I could make a little comment about this great food item..SOS..!! I love SOS and started eating it in the military 35 years ago and eat it til this day. I was stationed in Guam in the early 70's and we had what they called Midnight Chow so guys working mids could get something to eat. It was basically breakfast. When you went through the chow line the SOS was always the first item you would see. I always skiped it and returned after getting an omelette/hash browns/bacon/2 biscuits and have the cook pour SOS over everything on my plate..GUYS THOUGHT I WAS NUTS!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/04/26 10:20:47
rosco

When you went through the chow line the SOS was always the first item you would see. I always skiped it and returned after getting an omelette/hash browns/bacon/2 biscuits and have the cook pour SOS over everything on my plate..GUYS THOUGHT I WAS NUTS!

They never had breakfast at Tee Jay's Country place in Columbus, Ohio: 

THE BARNYARD BUSTER®
Two biscuits, two eggs, country fries, all on one plate covered with country sausage gravy.
$4.75 
THE HAYSTACKTwo biscuits with country ham, one egg, cheese sauce, covered with country gravy
$4.60

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/04/26 12:10:20
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/04/26 11:22:31
easydoesit

Interesting topic. I always thought S.O.S. was chipped beef and the other was hamburger gravy. But here is a little ditty that telegraphers will know:

three dot, four dot, two dot, dash,
they serve it in the army and they call it hash.

.-../---/.-..

post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/04/26 11:23:33
sizz
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/04/26 13:58:41

di-di-di-dah-dah-dah-di-di-dit   ............yum

di-da-di-da-dit  di-di-di-da-di-dah
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/04/27 05:30:58
Well, there's a couple of navy guys......using International Morse, of course.  What my telegrapher dad taught me at the kitchen table was American, which is the only way I can think it.  After I was working on the railroad, a ex Navy signalman hired on, and none of us could read him, he just seemed too ham-handed.  His accent was too "thick," so to speak.'
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/06/18 20:47:57
My wife makes the chipped beef version,while my mom made the hamburger version.They are both good to me,in fact just about anything with gravy tastes good to me.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/06/19 09:42:50
Nice to read you squids codes...letter by letter. As a very old code-grabber in the Army Security Agency,  we would send the same message, but it would sound like  " dididididididididi DAHHHHH"  at 40 gpm! Then use a Cyrillic typewriter to spell it out !  (WTF had not been invented at that time !!).

We don't do the SOS much anymore, as we like the Southern Biscuits and Sausage Gravy "version" more than the chipped beef. But in the military, especially (as mentioned by others) it was a well-liked staple on the Mid-Rats menu.  My preference was over potatoes...mashed or home-fries!

A related item that I get, now and then, (and it drives my wife nuts) is a large Mashed Potato and Gravy order as a 'side' at Popeyes Chicken. One piece of the Spicy Chicken is a good snack for me, but I would rather make a thick soupy mess out of those instant potatoes and a bunch of their peppery gravy, while she enjoys the chi9cken !!
post edited by mayor al - 2009/06/19 09:49:49
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/07/01 16:23:20
I know that whatever diner you go into and order creamed chip beef on toast, the waitperson will write SOS.

But that's not the real deal.  We know what the first S stands for, but neither creamed chipped beef, nor sausage gravy look like that.
When I was served SOS at the New London Submarine base in the sixties it was hamburger in a thick BROWN gravy/sauce that does look the part.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/07/01 16:36:09
I had it in the Army in Ft Jackson, Ft Hood and Long Binh Vietnam.

It was OK but I see no need for it in my life since 1968.
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/03 06:27:21
We have seen a lot of comment about what SOS was or is.  BUT outside of armed forces dining halls how many of you know of an eatery that  that has SOS as a matter of routine for breakfast?  I've lived around Atlanta for a long time and remember one  that offered the choice of SOS or sausage gravy.  I'm not sure they are still in business, but I will check.

How about you?
MellowRoast
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/03 08:25:08
Strange.  My army and navy friends have all used chipped beef, but ground beef does sound good.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2009/08/03 08:26:16
blinky193
Hamburger
RE: SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/03 08:35:51
We had that when we went to school, and it was called hamburger crumble.  I just made a batch yesterday.  I cook the ground meat with onion, drain, add a can of cream of mushrrom soup, 1/2 - 3/4 can of water, can of mushrooms, and finish it with gravy master.  Sometimes I'll add a little instant powdered beef gravy to thicken it up a bit.  We always service it over mashed potatoes.
hatteras04
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/03 09:11:09
Born in OKC

We have seen a lot of comment about what SOS was or is.  BUT outside of armed forces dining halls how many of you know of an eatery that  that has SOS as a matter of routine for breakfast?  I've lived around Atlanta for a long time and remember one  that offered the choice of SOS or sausage gravy.  I'm not sure they are still in business, but I will check.

How about you?

The place Michael Hoffman mentioned above, Tee Jays, has it on the regular menu.  I have not had it from there.

http://www.teejayes.com/breakfast.htm
russ2304
Cheeseburger
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/04 12:03:37
Don't know if anyone posted this yet but just about anywhere in country I have ever been if you go to frozen section in most supermarkets and check out Stouffers product line you will find Creamed Chipped Beef and in MHO it is quite good and brings back fond memories of both military school and prep school where it turned up quite often breakfast menus as in both places a lot of the cooks where former military cooks.

Russ
MellowRoast
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/04 12:25:19
russ2304

Don't know if anyone posted this yet but just about anywhere in country I have ever been if you go to frozen section in most supermarkets and check out Stouffers product line you will find Creamed Chipped Beef and in MHO it is quite good and brings back fond memories of both military school and prep school where it turned up quite often breakfast menus as in both places a lot of the cooks where former military cooks.

Russ

I agree.  In fact, it's as good as (or better than) homemade, in my not-so-humble opinion.  And if Stouffer's made a sausage gravy from the same base recipe, I'd eat it everyday. 

kman160
Cheeseburger
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/04 13:54:42
used to get it from Freezer Queen. 2 for$1
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/04 14:48:29
I've been eating creamed chipped beef since a little boy, and like it a lot.   I'm glad to have Stouffer's available, it's a tasty and easy preparation.  I think, though, it is a little heavy on the sauce and light on the meat, so sometimes I will fill it in with a little shaved ham if I have it. 

But, you know, sometimes up here in the upper midwest, old things prevail, and I was pleasantly surprised to find it as an everyday deli item at the local supermarket chain.

Along with other old fashioned items.  One day Matio Batali was reminiscing about his childhood in Gourmet or Bon Appetit or some similiar magazine.  He said was one of the things he missed the most was the Mock Chicken Legs made by his mother, which were made with ground pork, shaped into a flat outline of a chicken leg, then breaded and sauteed.  I remember them too, from the mid 50's, we had them at home a lot.  Well,  the same store has them, not far from the chipped beef.  I guess people still want 'em.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/04 14:51:52
I'm not familiar with Freezer Queen, but Banquet used to have tiny, single serving items available in boil-in-a-bag, for about the same price.    Seems like I remember 58 cents, don't know why.  WAY before microwaves.

They also had single servings of meatloaf, beef in gravy, and others.  I would buy them, but I had to eat a lot of them to get filled up.
Rick F.
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/04 15:07:30
I'm half of a 2-person household, and my wife & I will have Stouffer's as often as our arteries will let us! We serve it on toasted and buttered English muffins--1 bag & 1 muffin per person, and then we lick the plates. That's the only kind of SOS I've ever eaten, but I'd be [barely] willing to try other kinds. And even though I'm a Southerner, I'm with Mellow Roast where Stouffer's and sausage gravy are concerned. At least, I'd certainly try it. (Sorry, Gam!)
(edited for spelling)
post edited by Rick F. - 2009/08/04 15:10:05
Big Ugly Mich
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/05 12:02:01
MellowRoast Strange.  My army and navy friends have all used chipped beef, but ground beef does sound good.
As long as you remember to drain all the fat off, you're golden. It's one of those things that are as good made with cheap beef than expensive beef
WarToad
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/10 14:37:14
OK, guess what I found at a rummage sale over the weekend?

Dept of The Army/Dept of The Air Force
TM 10-412/AFM 146-3
"Recipes"

The official US Army, US Air Force cookbook manual dated November 1950.

Under "Section XII MEAT" there are three recipes all basically different versions of "SOS".  All meat in gravy, all served on toast.  So, for your viewing pleasure, a trip back in time, and authentic US military recipe's from 1950, I give you this.
(Note: Being a military cookbook, all recipe's are "Yeild: 100 servings".  Reduce accordingly.)

NO. K-75 CREAMED MEAT
(beef, lamb, veal, or ham)

Meat, carcass...  25 pounds
or
Meat, ground... 17 pounds
Onions, chopped (optional) 1 pound (1 quart)
or
Onions, dehydrated... 1 1/2 ounces (12 tablespoons)
Bacon or meat fat...  1 pound (1 pint)
Four, sifted... 1 1.2 pounds (1 1/2 quarts)
Milk, evaporated... 16x 14 1/2 ounce cans
Beef stock or water (for  milk) 2 gallons (8 quarts)
Salt... to taste
Pepper... 1/4 ounce (1 tablespoon)
Bread, toasted...  100 slices

1.  Cut meat into 1-inch pieces, grind.
2.  Cook meat in its own fat until brown, stirring frequently.
3.  Cook onions in bacon fat; add flour and mix thoroughly.
4.  Mix milk and beef stock or water; heat.
5.  Add hot milk to fat and flour mixture gradually. Heat to boiling point; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper.
6.  Pour sauce over meat; simmer until meat is well done but not overcooked.
7. Serve on toast.

NO K-76.  DICED MEAT IN GRAVY

Onions, chopped...  1 pound (1 quart)
or
Onions, dehydrated...  1 1/2 ounces (12 tablespoons)
Meat of bacon fat...  2 pounds (1 quart)
Flour, sifted... 2 pounds (2 quarts)
Meat stock, hot...  2 gallons (8 quarts)
Milk, evaporated...  8x 14 1/2 ounce cans
Water (for milk)... 1 gallon (4 quarts)
Salt... 2 ounces (4 tablespoons)
Pepper...  1/4 ounce (1 tablespoon)
Meat, cooked, diced... 23 pounds
Bread, toasted...  200 slices

1.  Cook onions slowly in fat until tender.  Add flour and mix well.
2. Add meat stock gradually.  Heat to boiling point, stirring constantly.
3. Mix milk and water.  Add milk, salt, and pepper to hot onion mixture, heat to boiling point; boil about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.
4. Add cooked meat; reheat to serving temperature.
5. Serve over 2 slices toast.

NO. K-78  CREAMED DRIED BEEF

Beef, dried, chipped... 7 pounds
Fat, melted (butter or oleomargarine... 1 pound
Four, sifted...  1 1/4 pounds (1 1/4 quarts)
Milk, evaporated... 12x 14 1/2 ounce cans
Water (for milk)...  1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts)
Pepper...  1/4 ounce (1/2 tablespoon)

1.  Seperate beef into small pieces.
2.  Mix melted fat and flour; stir until smooth.
3.  Mix milk and water; heat.  Add gradually to flour mixture, stirring occasionally.
4. Add chipped beef and pepper.  heat to boiling point; reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
Note. Serve hot over toast.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:SOS, Do you know what I'm talking about?? 2009/08/10 15:15:14
NO. K-75 CREAMED MEAT

That's what they served us in the '50s in the Air Force.Of course, there were eggs, also, and what we called hand grenades, which were odd-shaped, but mostly round, deep fried balls of some sort of corn meal that we'd pour syrup over.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2