Hot!Pittsburgh fish sandwiches

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10224
2007/01/15 11:27:50 (permalink)

Pittsburgh fish sandwiches

One of the things I think restaurants in Pittsburgh do particularly well is fish sandwiches. Which is good, because we eat a ton of them. I once had someone tell me that one of the main reasons they are so popular here is because Pittsburgh has a large Catholic population. But I know plenty of non-Catholics who eat a fish sandwich every Friday, too.

So who makes the best ones? Two of the best known ones, Wholey's and Benkovitz are located in The Strip District and are reviewed on this site. Anybody else have some good suggestions?

130 Replies Related Threads

bighank66
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/17 10:49:37 (permalink)
    mmmm
    Making me miss home
    Almost any church and VFD in The Burgh sells good Fish Sandwiches..
    My faves:
    Holy Angels Church in Hays
    Original Oyster House in Market Square
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/17 12:02:53 (permalink)
    bighank66-
    I have had the fish sandwich from the Original Oyster House several times and it is a really good one. And what great atmosphere, too. Please tell me more about the Holy Angels Church fish sandwich. Do they only make it on Friday during Lent?

I notice you are in Raleigh. This isn't really Bill Cowher is it?
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/17 21:55:42 (permalink)
    Tell me more about these sandwiches, since I have never had them. Are they all fried fish? Is the a kind of fish? Dressing (tartar sauce/ketchup/chili sauce?) Bread type? Sides?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18381
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/17 23:03:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

Tell me more about these sandwiches, since I have never had them. Are they all fried fish? Is the a kind of fish? Dressing (tartar sauce/ketchup/chili sauce?) Bread type? Sides?

I was curious, too. http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/1998/02/23/story5.html
    bighank66
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/18 07:51:43 (permalink)
    Sorry--not Bill Cowher---but I wish I had that house of his down here!

Holy Angels is just a good fish sandwich--I love the deep fried goodness, very crisp, not flimsy. Sadly only during Lent, like most churches and fire halls. Makes it more special though.
    Good Stuff
    And yes the Oyster House atmosphere is tops---esp. during St Pattys Day!

NYNM: The Fish is usually just a whitefish, breaded--some places use a batter style, some use a breadcrumb style--then fried, put on a bun of some sort. I have seen a few firehalls that bake them, but I prefer the fried (go with the fried, trust me)
    Almost always it wayyyy too big for the bun (if you have a good one) In fact, you almost need 2 buns for all the fish.
    Most places come plain, but you can put whatever you like on it---Me, I'm a hot sauce person.
    yummy!!
    EVERY Friday during Lent you can find a good fish sandwich anywhere in the burgh
    The oyster house serves `em all year

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7768
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/18 08:19:31 (permalink)
    While living in Pittburgh, Wholey's was definetely my favorite.
    My coworkers and I would go to the Oasis in Heidelburg during Lent and get their Fried Fish with Mac n Cheese- Delish!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/19 15:18:09 (permalink)
    wanderingjew-
    Bad news! My girlfriend informs me that The Oasis is no longer there.

Michael Hoffman-
    Thanks for the the link to that great article. I really enjoyed reading that.

I hope between the article and bighank66's excellent response, NYNM received the answers he was looking for. One thing I want to reiterate that bighank said.....a good Pittsburgh fish sandwich will always have way too much fish for the bun. Since I am not much of a bread eater myself, I sometimes order a "fish on a dish", which is just the fish part with no bun.

Anyone else have a recommendation?
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/19 19:41:18 (permalink)
    Dorido's in South Park was always the place to go when I lived there. Last I heard it was still there and still serving great fish sandwiches. If you Google it as "Dorido's" you'll get a lot of good hits with good reviews, address, hours, ph #, etc.

Tom
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/21 14:52:12 (permalink)
    Mosca-
    Thank you for the suggestion about Dorido's. I have never heard of the place before (I live in the north suburbs), but found this review in the Pittsburgh newspaper:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06075/670852-242.stm

I am planning on eating there this week and trying one of their fish sandwiches.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7768
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/21 15:52:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

wanderingjew-
    Bad news! My girlfriend informs me that The Oasis is no longer there.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/25 13:14:07 (permalink)
    Mosca-
    Really good recommendation on Dorido's. I went on Tuesday night and they have a terrific fish sandwich. I had the large (16 oz.) fish sandwich and they give you two pieces that were almost a foot long! My buddy thought that it was every bit as good as Wholey's. While I liked it very much, I thought it was just a notch below. But, it was plenty good enough for me to go back. I also really liked their pepperoni cheeseballs, too. Thanks again!
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/29 23:01:41 (permalink)
    My vote goes to the Oyster House, both for the sandwich itself and the atmosphere. Wholey's (in the Strip)isn't far behind, though, especially as they now have a decent place to go if you wanna eat in.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/01/30 16:45:14 (permalink)
    quote:

Mosca-
    Really good recommendation on Dorido's. I went on Tuesday night and they have a terrific fish sandwich. I had the large (16 oz.) fish sandwich and they give you two pieces that were almost a foot long! My buddy thought that it was every bit as good as Wholey's. While I liked it very much, I thought it was just a notch below. But, it was plenty good enough for me to go back. I also really liked their pepperoni cheeseballs, too. Thanks again!

You are quite welcome, and thank you for taking my recommendation! I'm glad to know that they are as good as they've always been.

Tom
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/02/09 08:17:24 (permalink)
    I am a big fan of The Original Oyster House, but the fish sandwich I had on Tuesday night was overdone. That is the first time that has happened. The fries and the chowder were just as good as ever.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/03/09 15:00:12 (permalink)
    This recent article in one the local newspapers talks about the popularity of the fish sandwich in Pittsburgh, especially during lent.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_494572.html

Tonight, my girlfriend and I are going to a Catholic church we heard has really great fish sandwiches. I'm not Catholic myself, but I will never turn down a good fish sandwich!
    iqdiva
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/03/09 15:35:31 (permalink)
    I love catfish,shrimp,and oyster po-boy sandwiches...I bet that I would love the Pittsburgh fish sandwich too!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/03/22 08:56:37 (permalink)
    I was driving through the Bloomfield section of Pittsburgh last night and I saw a sign for a bar that said "Armand's Famous Fish Sandwich". I have also been given a tip on how good the fish sandwiches are at Nied's Hotel in the Lawrenceville section of town.

Is anyone familiar with these places? Both of them are new to me.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/03/22 12:41:08 (permalink)
    South Point Country Club in Upper St Clair has a great fried fish sandwich It is white atlantic cod. I love the Oyster House too.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/03/23 15:16:25 (permalink)
    blue heaven-
    Is the South Point Country Club in USC open to the general public for dining or is it members only? I would really like to go try one of their fish sandwiches.
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/03 12:15:58 (permalink)
    I greatly prefer Wholey's on Penn Ave in the Strip District over Benkovitz a block or two over from Penn. Benkovitz isn't bad, but Wholey's always seems fresher and bigger to me, and I guess I'm too lazy to walk 'all' the way over to Benkovitz.

Other places I think have great fish sandwiches are Armstrong's in Castle Shannon, Luciano's in White Oak, and The Carousel, near Kennywood, though I've not been to Carousel for a few years. Perhaps my all time favorite is the one from Big Jim's "down in the run". NEVER had a bad meal at Big Jim's.

Thanks,

Kevin

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/04 10:11:46 (permalink)
    KOK-
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I just had take-out from the Armstrong's in Bridgeville last night and ate some of the best chicken parm I have ever had. I had no idea they had good fish sandwiches. But, I shouldn't be surprised, since everything I have ever had from there is good.

I'm not familiar with Luciano's and The Carousel and although I've heard of Big Jim's, I have never been there. I will be changing that soon!

Are you originally from Pittsburgh?
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/04 11:48:15 (permalink)
    My sister moved there about 12 years ago, I've never lived there.

I didn't know there was an Armstrong's in Bridgeville, but the one in Castle Shannon is always top notch. More family friendly than Big Jim's, which is more of a bar with a smaller dining room.

Luciano's is sort of famous for their pizza, but overall everything is good (esp the stuffed banana peppers that I've never seen in Maryland). Good pizza though I prefer Vincent's (totally different styles) and I've never been a big fan of Mineo's.

Thanks,

Kevin
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/04 15:26:16 (permalink)
    KOK-
    For a non-yinzer, you seem to know the city well. And I very much appreciate the suggestions. Once I try them, I'll let you know what I thought of the fish sandwiches.

As far as I know, there are three Armstong's. I think the one in Castle Shannon is the original, there is one in Moon Township near the airport and the Bridgeville location is take-out only. I am keeping my fingers crossed they put one near me in the northern suburbs.
    blue heaven
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/04 16:13:51 (permalink)
    Hi Buffetbuster....sorry I just saw your post. I beleive you can go have lunch at SouthPointe in USC. I went with my sister for my niece's ist communion last May. My nephew Liam adores fish sandwiches and this one was awesome. Let me know what you think. Did I mention that I am originally from Washington Pa?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/16 14:31:23 (permalink)
    A few weeks ago I went to Butya's, a bar on Steubenville Pike (Rte.60) that has long regarded to have one of the best fish sandwiches in the Pittsburgh area. I used to go regularly when I attended college nearby, but only once since then. When I pulled up, they had "Voted Best Fish Sandwich in Pittsburgh" on their outside sign.

The good news is the fish was still excellent! There were two long pieces, way too big for the bun and they were done perfectly. They deserve to be on the short list of best local fish. The bad news is that the fries were just okay and the side order of pierogies my girlfriend ordered were straight out of the freezer. In a city like Pittsburgh, that just shouldn't happen.

So still go to Butya's for the fish, but nothing else. By the way, Butya's is no more than a two minute drive off of I-79.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/17 07:43:20 (permalink)
    By the way, the review for Benkovitz has understandably been archived since they are now under new ownership. As far as I know, I haven't been there since the new regime took over. If anyone does make it there, please report back and let us know what you think!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/20 18:47:48 (permalink)
    KOK-
    I went to Big Jim's for the first time today. With its location underneath the bridge, it reminded me of Stone's in Marshalltown, Iowa.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Photo.aspx?RefID=128&PhotoID=9286

The place was quite busy, but they only had one waitress working. She really hustled though and kept everything moving. When my fish came, I admit to not being very impressed. It just didn't look very good. Even though the one piece of fish was bigger than the bun, it still wasn't as big as others in the city. And the bun was really hard in spots. But the fish (cod) itself was exceptional. The waitress made the unusual remark to me that they had just breaded it that morning. Despite the problems, this is one of the very best fish sandwiches in Pittsburgh. The creamy cole slaw that came with it was quite good also.

I also got an order of the chicken parm to go and will be having that for dinner later on tonight.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/21 00:59:09 (permalink)
    quote:

A few weeks ago I went to Butya's, a bar on Steubenville Pike (Rte.60) that has long regarded to have one of the best fish sandwiches in the Pittsburgh area. I used to go regularly when I attended college nearby, but only once since then. When I pulled up, they had "Voted Best Fish Sandwich in Pittsburgh" on their outside sign.

The good news is the fish was still excellent! There were two long pieces, way too big for the bun and they were done perfectly. They deserve to be on the short list of best local fish. The bad news is that the fries were just okay and the side order of pierogies my girlfriend ordered were straight out of the freezer. In a city like Pittsburgh, that just shouldn't happen.

So still go to Butya's for the fish, but nothing else. By the way, Butya's is no more than a two minute drive off of I-79.

I was going to mention Butyas since I work on Campbells Run Road and have eaten a bunch of their fish sandwiches. They truly are humongous. I always buy an extra bun or two and theres still fish left over.
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches 2007/05/21 09:50:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    KOK-
    I went to Big Jim's for the first time today. With its location underneath the bridge, it reminded me of Stone's in Marshalltown, Iowa.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Photo.aspx?RefID=128&PhotoID=9286

The place was quite busy, but they only had one waitress working. She really hustled though and kept everything moving. When my fish came, I admit to not being very impressed. It just didn't look very good. Even though the one piece of fish was bigger than the bun, it still wasn't as big as others in the city. And the bun was really hard in spots. But the fish (cod) itself was exceptional. The waitress made the unusual remark to me that they had just breaded it that morning. Despite the problems, this is one of the very best fish sandwiches in Pittsburgh. The creamy cloe slaw that came with it was quite good also.

I also got an order of the chicken parm to go and will be having that for dinner later on tonight.
    Sorry to read the bun wasn't good. Was it just a generic roll or was it the Mancini products they always used to have? The great rolls were just another thing I always liked about Big Jim's.

I forgot about the coleslaw. It usually arrives well before any other food and is gone very quickly.

I'm glad the fish turned out to be good, I recall they used to give two pieces but maybe they used to have a large and small sandwich. I hope to be back mid June (I'll post about 5/19 at the Pickle Barrel soon) and will try to get back to Big Jim's.

Thanks,

Kevin

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1