Garmin and other GPS Support

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
  • Total Posts : 2096
  • Reward points : 0
Garmin and other GPS Support - Mon, 01/15/07 7:07 PM
We are in the process of looking for testers for our upcoming POI (Point of Interest) support on popular GPS receivers. Please let me know if you are interested by replying to this message along with your GPS brand (Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, etc.).

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Mon, 01/15/07 8:12 PM
Mosca,

Garmin 330.

Tom

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Mon, 01/15/07 9:18 PM
Garmin StreetPilot c340

fdaniels
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Mon, 01/15/07 10:12 PM
Garman eMap

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 01/16/07 7:43 PM
All the Garmin users can download a test file here: http://www.roadfood.com/insider/maps/roadfood.csv

Please let me know how it works. Thanks!

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4895
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 01/16/07 7:49 PM
I for one will be very happy to see the test results before purchasing one of these GPS "toys".

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 01/16/07 8:04 PM
Yes
Magellan 300
Mio 310x How will this work? Are we just adding POI's to our existing units?

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 01/16/07 8:32 PM
If the Garmin file doesn't work for some people you can try http://www.roadfood.com/insider/maps/roadfood-gpx.zip , which is the "open source" standard for GPS files. Please unzip the file before you try to import.

Most of the major GPS companies support this format or have converters that will make it compatible.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 01/16/07 8:39 PM
Not that my cheap Sprint phone is equipped. But will the GPS Tracking work with the various cell phones out there that support this format? (Or is the data even able to be loaded into them?)

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 01/16/07 8:45 PM
That link won't work for me.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 01/16/07 8:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

Not that my cheap Sprint phone is equipped. But will the GPS Tracking work with the various cell phones out there that support this format? (Or is the data even able to be loaded into them?)

I can't answer with 100% certainty, however, if you give information me a file format (or file type) I can probably create something that will work.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 01/16/07 8:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

That link won't work for me.
Try it again. It didn't work for me at first and I fixed it.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Fri, 01/19/07 6:56 AM

This is exactly what I have been trying to accomplish for some time. It seems like this is the right path.

I have a Garmin c330 and love it. I think that there could be a sub-category of Roadfood dining experiences based on the results of the GPS devices. All you have to do is push the desired meal you are searching for. For instance, in Connecticut, you can get many BBQ restaurants within a 20+ mile radius. I did not know these places existed and they are not listed in -this- site. With pizza, there are so many restaurants that it will stop listing after 10 miles.

Okay, I have downloaded this file and it is saved in my documents. What do I do next? I am among the computer=confused types where the simpler the explanation, the better. Can I hook up my GPS to the USB port so that this file can download into it?

mark

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Fri, 01/19/07 7:12 AM
magellan 300 TI (?)

pwolly2
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 02/6/07 9:17 PM
Hi, I'd love to download Roadfood info into my TOMTOM GO 300...but I can't seem to figure it out. I don't think TOMTOM GO 300 accepts GPX files. If it does, how do I install? Thanks.
HELP!
-Peter

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 02/6/07 10:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pwolly2

Hi, I'd love to download Roadfood info into my TOMTOM GO 300...but I can't seem to figure it out. I don't think TOMTOM GO 300 accepts GPX files. If it does, how do I install? Thanks.
HELP!
-Peter
You can also use http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html to convert the GPX file into a format the TomTom can accept. You might also want to search online for other converters - most will accept a GPX input.

pwolly2
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 02/6/07 10:49 PM
Thanks so much! www.roadfood.com/insider/maps/roadfood-gpx.zip isn't working--- is there another GPX link? Then I'll use http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html to convert into TOMTOM adaptable for download.

Thanks.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Wed, 02/7/07 8:07 AM
If you are not a Roadfood Insider Subscriber then you can download a sample Roadfood GPX file here: http://www.roadfood.com/xml/DownloadGPX.aspx

rhdafoe
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Fri, 03/16/07 6:50 PM
Stephen, the Garmin POI link points to the .csv file rather than a .gdb file (unless I'm doing something wrong. I tried the .gpx file but my Garmin Mapsource program can't read it. Am now headed for the GPSBabel download.

Ralph

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Fri, 03/16/07 8:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rhdafoe

Stephen, the Garmin POI link points to the .csv file rather than a .gdb file (unless I'm doing something wrong. I tried the .gpx file but my Garmin Mapsource program can't read it. Am now headed for the GPSBabel download.

Ralph
Ralph - Most of the Garmin models I saw use a .csv file. You might want to give it a try.

Clay Bell
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Mon, 06/18/07 11:07 PM
I've downloaded the poi filesand can't get my Garmin c330 to receive them, I have the Garmin poi loader but still no luck. Is tyhis a Garmin problem or a dummy problem anyone out there that could shed some light? Thanks ahead
Clay Bell

hubanks
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Mon, 06/25/07 9:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Clay Bell

I've downloaded the poi filesand can't get my Garmin c330 to receive them, I have the Garmin poi loader but still no luck. Is tyhis a Garmin problem or a dummy problem anyone out there that could shed some light? Thanks ahead
Clay Bell

I had a similar problem/error message. I noticed that I had the owner's manual/PDF file open off of my Garmin unit. Once I closed the file, the POI loaded right away. I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but hope it helps.

David

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 06/26/07 6:45 AM
Can anyone summarize this?

I am in the market to buy a GPS and if anyone has one, likes it and is getting the RF data to work, I'd follow in their footsteps.

djmsalem
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 06/26/07 7:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I am in the market to buy a GPS and if anyone has one, likes it and is getting the RF data to work, I'd follow in their footsteps.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 (which I like a lot) and find the RF data, which I downloaded recently, works pretty well. On my unit, the name of the restaurant is truncated but there's enough of it so that I can get the idea. And the coordinates are close enough.

All I get for information is the name of the restaurant. It would be helpful to have some data as to the specialty or must-eats, since otherwise you need to carry around the offline guide (which, to be fair, isn't that big a deal).

All in all, a very great service!

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Tue, 06/26/07 7:28 AM

My Garmin C330 had me befuddled initially. I was in Clay's shoes, trying to figure it out and not able to proceed farther. Recently, my computer pooped out and I had to take it to a service tech. This allowed me to tell of my problem, and when it was fixed we managed to get it loaded. I realized the information was correct as it listed two Roadfood approved places that are not around any more...!! My only concerns are that in the future I will have similar problems when new places become available for download.

That said, with all the driving that you do, a GPS would be a great addition. It is completely possible to get in your car and see two dozen places listed on the screen. Well, at least if you live in central Connecticut. I can't vouch for Nebraska....

This upcoming holiday week, I plan on taking a drive to parts unknown based solely on my GPS. I think that there can be a whole bunch of stories that can be shared here based on following what was suggested by the GPS.

mark

hankston
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Wed, 06/27/07 11:00 AM
this is a fantastic free site for converting files via gpsbabel:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/convert

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Wed, 06/27/07 11:41 AM
Stephen, I have a Garmin NĂ¼vi 660 and am trying to use the RF file, but without much luck. Doubtless both user ignorance and error, but advice would be appreciated!

Likewise,djmsalem, I'd love an explanation from you explaining how you made it work.
quote:
Originally posted by djmsalem

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 (which I like a lot) and find the RF data, which I downloaded recently, works pretty well. On my unit, the name of the restaurant is truncated but there's enough of it so that I can get the idea. And the coordinates are close enough.

All I get for information is the name of the restaurant. It would be helpful to have some data as to the specialty or must-eats, since otherwise you need to carry around the offline guide (which, to be fair, isn't that big a deal).

All in all, a very great service!

RibRater
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Wed, 06/27/07 8:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I've got a garmin c580...my second garmin. it provides weather, gas prices, local movie times, and traffic outlook/problems (in most major markets). the roadfood data was very easy to upload and use. I just got back from a 2 day roadfood run about an hour ago and used the garmin the entire way to find 5 reviewed restaurants.

Goerniego
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Sat, 08/11/07 5:42 PM
Sorry for this stupid question but I have a Garmin C550 and I'll be darned if i can figure out how to download the File onto it. Can someone please help me with this. Thanks

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Sat, 08/11/07 11:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Goerniego

Sorry for this stupid question but I have a Garmin C550 and I'll be darned if i can figure out how to download the File onto it. Can someone please help me with this. Thanks
Which file?

Having said that, I've found that Garmin's telephone support is very good--easy to reach, eager to help.

kozel
  • Total Posts : 810
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Mon, 08/27/07 8:14 AM
I just became an Insider member because I acquired a Garmin 660. The csv file loaded fine, I just wish it was formatted a little differently. 3rd column should be a name and 4th column could be address, phone, maybe a little description. My unit will take carriage returns embedded in the 4th column, make the formatting easier to read. If you have not seen this already, there's a lot of good POI info over at http://www.poi-factory.com

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
RE: Garmin and other GPS Support - Sat, 09/1/07 4:40 PM
I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 200 today at Target taking advantage of my lifetime Target retiree 10% discount plus a bonus 10% discount earned on the Target Visa card. It would have been nicer if I could have waited for them to be featured on sale as they were last spring but I doubt that will happen anytime soon with the driving vacation season ending. Now I have to learn how to use it. And then maybe I will finally have to become a Road Food Insider. I noticed there were a lot of restaurants already listed in the default Garmin software.