Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out"

Tommy B
  • Total Posts : 144
  • Reward points : 0
Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 7:19 AM
With summer fruits overflowing in the aisles, Reddi Wip is nearby for that special treat on top of berries or cold, juicy nectarines.

But come on, who of us can resist the old "can to mouth" routine?
Isn't that what Reddi Wip is all about ?

http://www.reddi-wip.com/

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 1:03 PM
Feh. Reddi-Wip. The only reason to keep it on hand is for the nitrous charge. ;0)

OTOH, there's the Heavy Cream from http://www.schooladz.com/normanbrookfarm/ , which is the freshest-tasting, heaviest cream you can imagine. It's practically sliceable, and I store some in the fridge with the vanilla, sugar and a splash of cognac already in it, ready to pour over fruit or whip by hand (it takes about a minute it's such rich cream).

Eric, Who Think Reddi-Wip Belongs In The Bedroom, Not The Kitchen

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 1:46 PM
If you wouldn't eat it off a pound cake, why would you want to eat it off of anything at all? I'm for real whipped cream and other delights.

Of course, Reddi Whip is great for food fights and kids love it.

- Elise, who, owing to a misspent youth, knows soda fountain backrooms are a much better source for nitrous

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 2:21 PM
I am still pondering the chocolate flavored Redi-whip I saw at the store over the weekend.

Homemade is best, but you are right, you can't beat the fun in the can.

Remember Dreamwhip? My mother used it back in the 60's. It was, um, interesting.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 2:54 PM
We use to blow up balloons with the stuff, add helium, attach strings and wait for some person to pop it with a pin. Someone would do it almost every time.

It was always interesting to watch the guilty party. Unfortunately some bystanders would get plastered with the stuff. We stopped it when some folks got real mad. I guess I don't blame them now.

We did that kind of stuff last summer when I was young.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 3:13 PM
Last summer? Paul, you are so bad. I hope my kids never learn about that. Surprised they have not thought of it.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 3:21 PM
Redi-Whip
Reminds me of the time my Dad was gonna put a little Redi-Whip on his slice of pie. A New can plus an Inexperienced Dad equals an entire can of whipped cream up the kitchen wall! Dad was never again allowed to touch a redi-Whip can.

ConeyIslandLou
  • Total Posts : 737
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 4:32 PM
Anyone here ever buy a can of Redi-Whip where the 'propellant' had mysteriously 'disappeared'??

Lou-who had a misspent youth finding out REAL good sources of nitrous...those people at Service Merchandise THOUGHT I was a real serious dessert chef!

blake76
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 4:47 PM
Reddi-Wip is one of the many saving graces of the Atkins diet, for me,(sorry for crossing threads, here)...... I think it's got a pretty low carb count, even when you mound it on a plate.

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 9:33 PM
The Redi Whip founder recently passed away. After burial mourners topped of his grave with Whip Cream and a Cherry........Conan Obrian from his TV show.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Wed, 07/23/03 9:39 PM
The key topping on "make your own sundae nights" at my house was and is always Reddi-Whip. The only thing wrong with it is that red cap does not stay on after you break the little tab.

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Thu, 07/24/03 3:55 PM
Costco's "Business Center" locations sell nitrous carts very cheap...or so I hear.

As for not eating it off other things, well, suffice to say, we travel a lot, and you can pick up Reddi-Wip at almost any grocery store, and it will keep nicely in a hotel ice bucket....and you don't have to get the TSA people all curious about why you're travelling with a balloon whisk.

As for Dream-Whip.....I'm astonished they still make the stuff. It's always had an "off" flavor to me that I can't quite put words to; it's not vanillin, it's something else.

Eric

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Thu, 07/24/03 4:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

Costco's "Business Center" locations sell nitrous carts very cheap...or so I hear.

As for not eating it off other things, well, suffice to say, we travel a lot, and you can pick up Reddi-Wip at almost any grocery store, and it will keep nicely in a hotel ice bucket....and you don't have to get the TSA people all curious about why you're travelling with a balloon whisk.

As for Dream-Whip.....I'm astonished they still make the stuff. It's always had an "off" flavor to me that I can't quite put words to; it's not vanillin, it's something else.

Eric

It tastes like some kind of medicine I used to get as a kid -milk of magnolia or something. Ecch! Also the redi whip water balloon bombs made folks mad too, a summertime type of snowball.

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Thu, 07/24/03 7:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Lou-who had a misspent youth finding out REAL good sources of nitrous...those people at Service Merchandise THOUGHT I was a real serious dessert chef!

Really? I'm a race car driver!

Julia I
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Sun, 07/27/03 1:46 AM
Oops, family picnic in 12 hours - got to get some supplies! (The nieces and nephews won't know what hit them. Now if I can only stay away from my siblings!)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

We use to blow up balloons with the stuff, add helium, attach strings and wait for some person to pop it with a pin. Someone would do it almost every time.

It was always interesting to watch the guilty party. Unfortunately some bystanders would get plastered with the stuff. We stopped it when some folks got real mad. I guess I don't blame them now.

We did that kind of stuff last summer when I was young.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Fri, 09/12/03 3:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

Anyone here ever buy a can of Redi-Whip where the 'propellant' had mysteriously 'disappeared'??

I had a good laugh having lunch one day in place that serves as college town bar at night. Someone had apparently ordered a dessert, and the waitress went to the cooler to get more whipped cream, only to find can after can had no nitrous. I think she went through six cans before she found one that would squirt.

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Fri, 09/12/03 4:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

At one restaurant I worked at, we had such a problem with missing nitrous that I had to keep them all under lock and key, and only the kitchen manager of the day was allowed to be the bearer of the whipping cream.

LOL Those employees must have known some of the bunch I worked with at a factory many years ago who were also into "Wesson Oil Parties". I don't think they were attending stir-fry classes at the nearby gourmet shop.

Mayhaw Man
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Sat, 09/13/03 8:39 AM
I worked (very briefly) as a grocery store stocker while I was in high school. One of the main nightime activities for the regulars was a little dose of "whippets", as the process of huffing nitrous was known in the early seventies.

It is a miracle any of the matrons in Monroe, LA ever got a can that worked. They would go through entire cases of the stuff.

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Reddi Wip..."Let the Fun Out" - Sat, 09/13/03 9:16 AM
I just think it tastes better than Cool-Whip. It to me has that ice cream parlour taste that you expect with a nice hot fudge sundae.