An awful chili

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
  • Reward points : 0
An awful chili - Mon, 01/29/07 12:16 AM
I made a batch of my usual chili that I love Saturday. Put it in the frig to rest overnight and had it for dinner Sunday night. Or should I say it had me for dinner.

I had tried to mix it up a little bit and had added a can of fire roasted green chilies. Oh God, what a mistake.

I guess I'm going to have to throw the rest away, it's that bad.

MikeS.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: An awful chili - Mon, 01/29/07 12:27 AM
There is no law against throwing stuff away.

If there was, my old lady would be in for life.

biker jim
  • Total Posts : 403
RE: An awful chili - Thu, 02/1/07 10:24 AM
Whoa dude,
I add those green chilis to my chili all the time. Usually comes out great. I make some pretty damn fine chili, but once in a while for some reason unbeknownst to me...it sucks. I sweat the chilis with the onions before I brown the beef (or ostrich) and yada yada yada, good chili.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2935
RE: An awful chili - Fri, 02/2/07 9:41 AM
MikeS,

I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago; I found some canned poblano peppers, and I tossed them in the next pot of chili I made. Yech! They tasted of salt and bitter, they were really bad. It threw the whole pot off, I ordered pizza.

Tom

MikeS.
RE: An awful chili - Sat, 02/3/07 2:16 AM
My problem MIGHT have been that I used Wal-mart's brand of green chilies. Whatever it was, it sucked.

pamelakrest
  • Total Posts : 362
RE: An awful chili - Sat, 02/3/07 8:12 AM
From my own experience,try it before you add the item lolzzz
It wasn't canned green chilies but black olives...they were bad & didn't know it .....ruined the whole pot....had to pitch...I had tasted the chili before adding so I know the chili was ok...Thought I would add a can of black olives ....just a small can....and blech...it made the whole pot taste off.

eggsactley
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: An awful chili - Sun, 02/4/07 10:29 AM
I wish there was some sort of uniform code on canned goods to let us consumers know how old a product is. Some products have readable "use by" dates and I try to buy only canned goods that do.

marzsit
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: An awful chili - Sat, 02/10/07 2:43 PM
the only canned chiles i've ever had consistent results with have been the diced ortega ones.. mild, non-roasted. boring, but i've yet to find a nasty-tasting can. we have a local latino market that has frozen roasted peppers, many different kinds and all are excellent.

infosanpedro
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: An awful chili - Tue, 02/20/07 5:47 PM
For home made hot sauce use garlic combined with chillis add a little cilantro for taste.

Winston.

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: An awful chili - Tue, 02/20/07 5:50 PM
if you have no other choice than to use canned chiles,
rinse thoroughly and drain before using.
i love living in new mexico!!!!!

dickestep
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: An awful chili - Wed, 03/14/07 10:20 AM
Mike, I have a confession to make. I have long considered myself a fair to middling cook. My having been blessed with a cast iron stomach may be a factor in this, but shockingly several other folks have seemed to like my cooking, too. Now for my confession, but first you have to promise to never divulge a word of this to anyone else!
Okay, I trust you, Pard. My wretched secret is this. About Cough! twenty-five Cough! years ago I set out one day to make a batch of my wondermous chili. I had made it umpteen times before and not only could do it in my sleep, I had each procedure patented and copyrighted. I could make my chili out of the contents of my pack in a remote fish camp in Alaska, and had a number of times.
Well, everything went as usual, except the chili seemed a little watery. I should have simmered it a bit longer, but on an impulse I added a tablespoon of flour mixed in cold water. I stirred, tasted, and dumped out the pot!

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: An awful chili - Wed, 03/14/07 1:43 PM
How does it go? Confession is good for the soul?
I've competed in a few chili cookoffs, several years ago. Even come in second place in a beer drinking contest at one of them. If I'd read the rules earlier, could have taken home the Gold. Not how much you could drink, but how fast one could down a 12 ouncer.
The worst Chili I ever put together was the time(once) I used ground Turkey. You know, the scraps picked up from the floor, ground and packaged at the end of the day. I can't to this day decide if it tasted more like burnt feathers or a sweaty armpit.
Dumped the whole kit and kaboodle!

MikeS.
RE: An awful chili - Wed, 03/14/07 3:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dickestep

Mike, I have a confession to make. I have long considered myself a fair to middling cook. My having been blessed with a cast iron stomach may be a factor in this, but shockingly several other folks have seemed to like my cooking, too. Now for my confession, but first you have to promise to never divulge a word of this to anyone else!
Okay, I trust you, Pard. My wretched secret is this. About Cough! twenty-five Cough! years ago I set out one day to make a batch of my wondermous chili. I had made it umpteen times before and not only could do it in my sleep, I had each procedure patented and copyrighted. I could make my chili out of the contents of my pack in a remote fish camp in Alaska, and had a number of times.
Well, everything went as usual, except the chili seemed a little watery. I should have simmered it a bit longer, but on an impulse I added a tablespoon of flour mixed in cold water. I stirred, tasted, and dumped out the pot!

OK, I promise to never tell another soul!

Hey ya'all wanna hear something funny......

You should have used some masa. But hey, you already knew that.

dickestep
RE: An awful chili - Wed, 03/14/07 4:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.
You should have used some masa. But hey, you already knew that.

Yep, I already knew that all up. Old Wick Fowler even included a little packet of masa in his 2-Alarm Chili Mix. I haven't used it in years but it made some passable Chili.

rouxdog
RE: An awful chili - Wed, 03/14/07 4:43 PM
PSST>>>>>>>> Don't tell anybody, but you can go to Penderys.com and have many options to order the dry fixins for outstanding Chili!! Comes with instructions and everything! Now don't go telling folks about my secret recipe!

dickestep
RE: An awful chili - Wed, 03/14/07 5:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rouxdog

PSST>>>>>>>> Don't tell anybody, but you can go to Penderys.com and have many options to order the dry fixins for outstanding Chili!! Comes with instructions and everything! Now don't go telling folks about my secret recipe!

Oh, shoot, Rouxdog. You know you can trust Mike and me to not tell a soul. We're good at keeping secrets in our family.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9566
RE: An awful chili - Thu, 03/15/07 1:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rouxdog

D you mean Pendrys spices or Penzey's Spices

rouxdog
RE: An awful chili - Thu, 03/15/07 9:33 AM
Penderys, located in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2935
RE: An awful chili - Thu, 03/15/07 10:11 AM
Thanks for the link, rouxdog; I'm downloading the catalog right now!

Tom

rouxdog
RE: An awful chili - Thu, 03/15/07 6:20 PM
Mosca, Pendery's will send you a catalog in the mail if you ask. I order most spices from them. Quality has proven to be good and they're honorable and timely.