Fried Pickles

PepperPhil
  • Total Posts : 335
  • Reward points : 0
Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 6:38 PM
Just wondering what your thought is on This Southern favorite... Our local sonic used to have them on the menu a few years back.

Crispy and fried, they tasted just great.

porkchopexpress
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 6:48 PM
They are great but hard to find

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2654
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 6:53 PM
We have a new place in west suburban Chicago that recently opened. A mom & pop called the Onion Grill. Been there a few times in the last few weeks sampling the various menu items. They have fried pickles on the menu with some type of dipping sauce. It's on the try list for the next visit. Their onion rings were fantastic so I'm hopeful. Never had them so I'm not sure what to expect...and do they usually come with a dipping sauce?

jvsmom
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 7:21 PM
The Porthole Pub in Lynn, MA sells them. Oh, boy, are they good. Worth a trip from the south shore for those alone. We first discovered them years ago when we lived near there. Weren't sure what to expect, but once we tried them, we were hooked. I have told several people about them over the years, and they usually look at me like I have three heads. Then they proceed to tell me how disgusting they must be. Then they go try them, and they're addicted.

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 7:31 PM
are they made with dill pickles
or bread and butter ones?

improviser
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 8:19 PM
Fried pickles sure are bad for you. And they sure are good.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 8:48 PM
A new BBQ place opened near by and has the best Fried Pickles I have had since I lived down south. They make them at this place, and others where I have samples them, with dill pickles, but not sure if that is universal.

BhamBabe
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 9:07 PM
Xannie, usually with dill. Some will use a flour based batter, but the best is cornmeal beer batter...OMGoodness! Delish. Or, cause my mamaw didn't truck with spirits she used cornmeal and ginger ale batter.

Served with many different sauces. Mustard, sour cream, ranch or even a bleu cheese. My family prefers cajun spiced with ranch dressing.

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 9:13 PM
BhamBabe,
thanks for the information.
i have to try the corn meal and ginger ale batter;
it sounds terrific!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15069
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 9:16 PM
Genny's Diner in Louisville has a large Burger and uses "Frickles" for side garnish. Frickles are battered dill pickle slices deep fried. The are delicious!

Here is part of a review by a local food writer about Genny's Pickles...
*** Genny's Diner
2223 Frankfort Ave.
(502) 893-0923

What's the difference between Genny's Diner and a saloon?
You can take the kids to Genny's.
Well, that, and better still, you can actually count on getting a pretty darn good meal at Genny's, provided that you set your expectations for hearty, filling and well-prepared diner food without gourmet touches or culinary frippery.

We're talking about serious meat-and-potatoes food here, heavy on the frying: Remember, this is the place that invented the frickled pickle chip, a crunchy dill-pickle slice lightly coated with egg-batter and deep-fried in oil. (We couldn't help but notice, off to the north side of Genny's little white building in Clifton, an oblong black vessel the size of a Volkswagen, devoted to the disposal of used cooking oil. It appeared to be in regular use.)

Enter Genny's dark, cozy interior and the first thing you'll see is a large bar, where the gentleman presiding will greet you with a friendly wave and direct you to one of the many sturdy tables draped in green. The menu is straightforward, featuring mostly burgers, breakfast fare and sandwiches. Take special note of the Sweet Daddy Platter ($9.50 with fries, $9 for the burger alone), a trademark entree that features a stunning 1 1/4 pound of ground beef formed into a triple-deck hamburger that easily qualifies as the largest in town....

jvsmom
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 9:51 PM
The Porthole uses dill pickles, the thick ripple-cut kind. I don't know if this is the reason, but they hold their shape better than thinner ones would, I would think.

Anyway, whatever they do, and for whatever reason, they are AWESOME.

porkchopexpress
  • Total Posts : 798
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 10:11 PM
The Depot in Springfield Tn serves them. The Depot is an excellent restaurant in an old train depot which is themed up great

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 10:23 PM
Love the fried pickles!

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 01/31/07 10:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PepperPhil
Our local sonic used to have them on the menu a few years back.
Ditto, up in Tennessee. We still find them on menus in the deeper South a lot, but too often they're the whole spears. Spears are okay, but they often dominate the flavor too much, so that the delicate balance of pickle, batter, salt, and pepper is lost.

Gee, can one be a pickle snob?

BhamBabe
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: Fried Pickles - Thu, 02/1/07 9:19 AM
I'm not sure who invented them but I can tell you that my grandmother has been serving them at every Dinner on the Grounds in Backwater, Alabama for nigh on 70 years. She said her mother use to fry them with her own homemade garlic pickles when she was little. They ate them on bread like a sandwich during the depression. Seems Mamaw Smith had laid by a ton of pickles. She wasn't the only one either.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Fried Pickles - Thu, 02/1/07 4:04 PM
I remember the ones from Sonic. I wonder why they stopped serving them, as I thought they were good. For a short while last summer, Capt. D's had them on their menu. Sonic also stopped sering reg. size hotdogs and now only serve footlongs.

Rick F.
RE: Fried Pickles - Thu, 02/1/07 5:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SassyGritsAL

I remember the ones from Sonic. I wonder why they stopped serving them, as I thought they were good. For a short while last summer, Capt. D's had them on their menu. Sonic also stopped sering reg. size hotdogs and now only serve footlongs.
I just checked their web site and it's a national thing: no pickles, no regular-size hot dogs. I'm gonna file a protest, by golly!

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Sat, 02/3/07 7:58 PM
It's a shame about them dropping them from the menu....

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Sat, 02/3/07 8:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

Never had them so I'm not sure what to expect...and do they usually come with a dipping sauce?

ChiTownDiner........ One of my favorite dipping sauce for them are Pepper Ranch Dressing.... in the past I have been served Sour Cream (Good), and Thousand Island ( Aquires Taste ) . Stick with the Ranch if it is offered.

Oh by the way, What Western Suburb ?.... Will be heading up that way next month to visit my Sister

ChiTownDiner
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/4/07 12:27 PM
PepperPhil...the suburb is Westmont and I'll make a point of geting in this week to scout things out on the pickle front. The menu didn't mention what kind of sauce as it's a typical dog/burger/gyro type menu board with the plastic letters and little description. Let me know if you'll be in the western suburb area, I can give you a few ideas or hook up for sampling. There's some local hot dog action on the 10th of this month featuring 6 great spots. I'll be on the Nashville trip also...

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/4/07 4:06 PM
Thanks ChiTownDiner.....

Have to visit my Cousin in Downers Grove then.....I'll be in the Chicago area on the 1st thru maybe the 7th

Try and get back with you before then.

ChiTownDiner
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/4/07 4:11 PM
quote:

Thanks ChiTownDiner.....

Have to visit my Cousin in Downers Grove then.....I'll be in the Chicago area on the 1st thru maybe the 7th

I'm right next door...

BakersBoy
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/4/07 4:23 PM
To all,

The first time I had deep fried pickles was fifteen years ago in Anniston,Alabama. The place was named "The Top of the River". Anniston had a few very intersting Roadfood worthy places but we always seemed to gravitate to The Top of the River. I had never had deep fried pickles up to that point and I was amazed at how wonderful they are. They were dill chips. Last time I visited my home town in Western New York I went to a diner in Sheriden, NY and there on the menu were deep fried pickles. These however were spears. Not as good as the ones in Alabama but good nonetheless. So I guess they have moved out of the South. Now if would could get hushpuppies and good sweeet tea I would be a happy boy. I would die, not literally, for good huspuppies in Maryland.

BB

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/4/07 4:29 PM
There are restaurants in Columbus who offer fried dill pickles, which are a delight and delicious. Old Bag of Nails and Brazenhead come to mind. I like either the spears or the slices......either of which are scrumptuous.

Donna

improviser
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/4/07 4:31 PM
Al, does Genny's have a big neon sign that says "Frickles" outside? Maybe it's not neon but I could swear that I've driven by a place in Louisville that advertises Frickles with a big sign. I've never stopped in. My family is very much a Golden Corral/Bahama Breeze family and there's so much roadfood in Louisville that I've missed out on, despite visting there at least 3 times a year!

Llacey
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 02/5/07 4:19 PM
Just had some very good ones at Spanky's in Battle Creek. They were the spears. Also, great jalapeno poppers(with cream cheese).

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15069
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 02/5/07 11:45 PM
Improvisor,
Thats the place! It's kind of beat-up and not the most modern and spotless place you can find, but the Burgers are great (pound and a quarter is BIG) and the Frickles are outstanding!

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 02/7/07 1:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

quote:

Thanks ChiTownDiner.....

I'm right next door...

Well then your not that far off my old stomping grounds then ( Lisle)

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 02/7/07 1:44 PM
Our local little diner started serving fried jalopeno slices.... very comparable.. but with a bite !

scrubnurseshelbie
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 02/7/07 7:28 PM
There is a Chicken Wing place close to my home that has fried dill pickles. The batter has a bit of a kick to it and they serve it with ranch and honey mustard. The first I ever had fried dill pickles was at a summer fair in Ohio.

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Thu, 02/8/07 1:51 PM
Thier getting catchy aren't they ?

Trishkaidekaphobia
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/11/07 6:58 AM
I will probably be the lone voice of dissent but my reaction to trying a fried dill pickle was, "Why would anyone want to do that to a perfectly good dill pickle. Ugh!"

On the other hand, dill pickle flavoured potato chips are wonderful.

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/11/07 5:01 PM
Can't complain about the dill pickle chips either....

let's just say if you like fried veggies like zucchini.. you will love fried pickles.....

Rick F.
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 02/11/07 11:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trishkaidekaphobia

I will probably be the lone voice of dissent but my reaction to trying a fried dill pickle was, "Why would anyone want to do that to a perfectly good dill pickle. Ugh!"
You're just skeert because there are usually 13 dill spears in a bottle of Vlasic's dills.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 02/12/07 1:05 AM
quote:
"Why would anyone want to do that to a perfectly good dill pickle. Ugh!"

Trish,
I'd still rather have fried dill pickles than chocolate-coated ones! But dill pickles on a cheesesteak omelette aren't half bad.
Dilliciously, Ort. Carlton in Oft-Pickled Athens, Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 02/12/07 1:08 AM
Dearfolk,
Y'all probably already know the story of the supposed Genesis of fried dill pickles... it was a busy night at The Hollywood Cafe in Holywood, Mississippi... so busy, in fact, that food was running out. In desperation, a chef battered and fried up some dill chips and made history. This lends credence to the proliferation of them on menus throughout the Mississippi Delta area.
More than one place here serves them. The one that immediately comes to mind is The Blind Pig Tavern... theirs are outstanding!
I'll mention this to the folks at Mama's Boy tomorrow. There's no telling what they'll concoct if I wind them up adequately....
Unpickledly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 02/12/07 1:14 AM
In Dallas, a Cajun restaurant named, Nate's Seafood has been serving them for years. We love them and have them every time we go.
They fry breaded dill pickle chips.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 02/12/07 7:34 AM
In the mid 90s,when I was running a deli complete with hot foods,we had deep fried pickle spears.So it surprises me that people are now just discovering them.Must be a rebirth of sorts...

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 02/12/07 5:50 PM
Here is a little something to share..........

FRIED DILL PICKLES

1 egg, beaten
1 c. milk
1 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
6 drops hot sauce
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. fresh dill
3 1/2 c. flour
1 qt. sliced dill pickles
Wesson oil for deep frying

Combine first 5 ingredients, stirring well. Set aside. Combine 3 1/2 cups flour, salt, pepper, and dill stirring well. Dip pickles in milk mixture and dredge in flour mixture, repeat process. Deep fry in hot oil, 350 degrees until pickles float to surface and are golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 03/12/07 2:32 PM
I happen to be a huge fan of deep fried pickles!! Used to make them for my wife when she was pregnant. Looks like I'll have to make up a fresh batch soon as we are expecting our second child in October.

David O.

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 03/12/07 5:17 PM
Thought you were going to slip that in under the radar? Congratulations. Boy or girl? Does it matter?

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
RE: Fried Pickles - Tue, 03/13/07 4:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Thought you were going to slip that in under the radar? Congratulations. Boy or girl? Does it matter?

We don't know the sex yet but we are hoping for a boy. We already have a five year old girl so a boy would be a nice change of pace for both of us. In all fairness it doesn't really matter as long as it is healthy!!!
Thanks for the congrats.

David O.

Space
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 03/14/07 12:38 AM
I had my first taste of fried pickles at Huey's 24/7 in New Orleans, and they were tremendous. They came with some BBQ dipping sauce that made them perfect. I was more than happy when the Applebees a few blocks from my place started serving them, but then they abruptly stopped after a few months.

Coincidentally, the night I had the pickles at Huey's was the last night they were open before Hurricane Katrina struck that area. To say that I was lucky to get out of there in time is an understatement.

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 03/18/07 6:18 AM
Do you think eating the pickles saved you ?

Trishkaidekaphobia
  • Total Posts : 133
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 03/18/07 12:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

You're just skeert because there are usually 13 dill spears in a bottle of Vlasic's dills.

LMAO! That's good!

Many things strike fear in my heart; nay, terrify me: stock market dives, drunk drivers, Ann Coulter, etc. but not food. I will give anything and everything a fair try - deep fried locusts, sea urchin, the stinkiest of stinky cheeses. I guess I just didn't "get" deep fried dill pickles!

Space
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Fried Pickles - Sun, 03/18/07 11:34 PM
quote:

Do you think eating the pickles saved you ?

I'd like to think so, but I'll have to go with the one of only a few cab companies that were still running people to the airport the morning before the storm hit. The pickles helped.

PepperPhil
RE: Fried Pickles - Mon, 03/26/07 5:24 AM
LOL........ I still think it was the pickles.

myway
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: Fried Pickles - Tue, 07/3/07 9:46 PM
I gotta try this! Thanks.

LuncheoNette
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 07/4/07 5:29 PM
I wish I had some dills to make this. I have got to try this. I love the unusual and serving something new all the time.

Foxyfishy14
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Fried Pickles - Fri, 07/6/07 3:50 PM
The best fried pickles I've ever had were at Amherst Brewing Company in Amherst, MA. I was a lover a dill pickles ever since I was a kid and even I was a bit skeptical at first...but I'm so glad I tried them...although I have found that they are better served whole rather than sliced..they tend to be much harder to eat and bit less flavorful if served sliced.

I saw the person that mentioned that they enjoyed dill pickle flavored potato chips...I've had them before but I can't seem to find them anymore..does anyone have an suggestions? I live in CT...help!

Rick F.
RE: Fried Pickles - Fri, 07/6/07 7:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Foxyfishy14I saw the person that mentioned that they enjoyed dill pickle flavored potato chips...I've had them before but I can't seem to find them anymore..does anyone have an suggestions? I live in CT...help!
Try [url='http://www.zappsstore.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/sitepages/new.html?L+scstore+zhgl1152+1188905537']Zapp's[/url]. All of their chips that I've tried are good; my favorite is the Cracked Pepper and Sea Salt. Zapp's is New Orleans-based, but they chip nation-wide.

Charles Chips used to sell them, but the no longer appear on the web site.

Foxyfishy14
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Fried Pickles - Sat, 07/7/07 12:27 AM
Thanks Rick! I'll have to check that out!

noahjames
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Fried Pickles - Fri, 12/17/10 10:27 PM
Who doesn't love fried pickles, but your right they are hard to find.  I actually not long ago found some in my local grocery store in the frozen section.  They were called Mikes Fried Pickles.  I googled them and found a site you can order some from.  I got a 10lb bag for really cheap and its lasted for a while.  So GOOD!!!!!!

Try this:
google.com/site/ mikesfriedpickles/ 
<message edited by noahjames on Fri, 12/17/10 10:35 PM>

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1935
RE: Fried Pickles - Fri, 12/17/10 11:11 PM
I first encountered fried pickles at Cock Of The Walk in Nashville and loved them.  They have a terrific Cajun dipping sauce, too, that really goes well with the pickles.  What a great restaurant.

Parrot Cage
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Fried Pickles - Wed, 05/25/11 2:01 PM
As a southerner, it really surprises me that they have fried dill pickles up here in northern Maine, but up here they fry up spears instead of chips.

missvuster
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Fried Pickles - Thu, 06/9/11 4:53 PM
Fried pickles at buffalo wild wings! ..and at the county fair!

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4467
RE: Fried Pickles - Thu, 06/9/11 4:55 PM
missvuster

I guess one more post and you will be able to post the link to your website?

missvuster
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Fried Pickles - Sat, 06/11/11 3:28 PM
joerogo

missvuster

I guess one more post and you will be able to post the link to your website?

grilled cheesus you are really annoying. instead of wasting your time bashing on new comers why dont you use your posts for something useful?

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Fried Pickles - Sat, 06/25/11 9:27 AM
I just had some really good fried pickles at Fat Fish Blue in downtown Cleveland, OH.  They serve Cajun food which is pretty darn good considering it's Cleveland, and some good fried pickles.

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3706
RE: Fried Pickles - Sat, 06/25/11 11:15 AM
Until we moved to Texas six years ago I had never heard of deep-fried pickles.  They are indeed tasty, but like fried green tomatos, chicken-fried steak, and all the deep-fried everything at the Great State Fair of TEXAS - a little goes a long way.

I'd like to find a "sampler-platter" somewhere with four pickle slices, one slice fried green tomato, 3" x 3" chunk of CFS, etc.  All that washed down by sweet tea would be wonderful!

BTW: why can't I find decent fried shrimp in Dallas?  It hasn't been for lack of looking.