Tasty Fries

Cheeseburger
2007/02/01 09:14:09
Tasty Fries, Inc. has developed a French fries vending machine (the machine) designed to produce freshly made French fries, utilizing a method that automatically converts a dehydrated potato product into rehydrated potato mix, delivers this mix into a forming-and-cooking cycle and finally, into freshly made French fries.

I think this is an awesome idea. Unfortunately, the company has basically gone down the tubes. Everyone loves fries. It could vend fries in less than 90 seconds. Their website had a video of a working prototype. I just don't get why they haven't taken off.

Anyone else hear of this company?
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Tasty Fries 2007/02/01 09:27:19
Okay, deep-fried potato buds. I'll settle for Pringles, maybe once every 5 years.

Actually, there have been other attempt at french fry machines. One I know of was a product backed by a business partner of my Dad's in the 60s. Idea was a fresh fry vending machine at high traffic retail stores, typically discount houses like Zayre (if you don't remember them, think KMart). The prototype of this machine did work pretty well. You could put your money in and watch it make fresh fries.

But the problems were numerous. Everything was fresh if the thing got traffic, but if not, there were problems holding peeled potatos, so they had to add a peeling process. Of course it required venting which most retail stores didn't have. And in most places it fell under food prep laws which created a regulatory hurdle most retailers didn't want to face. (This was in the days when many discounters did not have snack bars, and if they did have one, why would they need a french fry vending machine?)

I spent a lot of time as a kid playing with the half-built shells of automatic french fry machines.
MBFDFyre
Cheeseburger
RE: Tasty Fries 2007/02/01 09:46:32
Well, I think they've improved on that concept. Dehydrated potatoes can stay in a machine much longer than real ones. This machine would clean itself after so many vends or 4 hours of inactivity so it was constantly being kept clean. I don't see how this machine is different than say a coffee vending machine. They both mix water and a dried product together.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Tasty Fries 2007/02/01 10:42:40
Somehow and someway I do not see this working. I do not see the product being very appetizing.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Pigiron
RE: Tasty Fries 2007/02/01 13:22:22
You really think this is an awesome idea? "rehydrated and formed" and "dehydrated potato product" are not terms that come to mind when I think "freshly made french fries".
MBFDFyre
Cheeseburger
RE: Tasty Fries 2007/02/01 16:02:55
Well, first off, I make really good instant mash potatoes. Secondly, I've seen the video of it working and they do look pretty good after they are fried. Thirdly, its a vending machine, nothing is freshly made from a vending machine.
Greyghost
RE: Tasty Fries 2007/02/01 16:25:57
Maybe the idea didn't take off because "instant fries" have been around for years. You cant drive two blocks without being able to access these fries. They go by various names; McDonalds, Wendy's, BK and so forth.
You don't even have to get out of your car for these instant delights
GCD1962
Hamburger
RE: Tasty Fries 2007/02/05 22:37:43
Pre WWII, my dad invented and installed a Hot Dog vending machine. It was placed in subways in NYC. Everything worked great until board of health got on him. No problem with the dog or buns. It was the mustard! It was in a jar by the side of the machine. No portion packaging was around back then