The best buffalo wings in NYC

Junior Burger
2003/07/25 11:08:51
I think the best buffalo wings in NYC are at the back page
restaurant.
If you ask around you will find out that the locals know where to eat. And its really not at Nobu. The people who eat there are the ones who buy into the paid promotions or the ones who need their picture in the paper because their acting or singing career needs a jolt.
NYC foodies know places like 14 Wall Street for the best french food and amazing views, The Central Bar for the best Irish Bar and pub food, Pisces for the best mussles, EAT for the best tuna, Docks for the best lobster, Isola for the Italian most like Tuscany and of course the back page for the best buffalo wings.

- LeeAnne
http://backpagebar.com
http://14wallstreetrestaurant.com
http://centralbar.8m.com
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/08/02 13:56:48
Sounds great - We'll have to try the Back Page next time we're in Manhattan. My teenagers love wings & my husband does too! Thanks for the tip.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/08/02 14:57:09
All this sounds fancy schmancy. It's wings. Try Wing Wagon on Flatbush in Park Slope. That's where the real locals go.
whesung
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/08/08 11:28:51
I think Down the Hatch is pretty good for wings as well. Very non-fancypants.

http://www.nycbestbars.com/downthehatch/
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/08/08 12:20:30
Ironically, I ate lunch at the Back Page YESTERDAY. Small world indeed.

This is an ideal subject for me: I've lived in NYC for almost 20 years, but I grew up near Buffalo.

I think the Back Page has very good wings for NYC. I also like Down the Hatch, as whesung mentioned. Finally, Blondie's on the Upper West Side has always been very good. Each of these places have at one time or another been affiliated with Atomic Wings, begun by an NYC guy who went to college in Buffalo and learned secrets from the Anchor Bar and Duff's, two of Buffalo's better-known wings establishments.

By the way, goldsborscht, Back Page is anything by fancy schmancy. It's a sports bar. Kind of a frat boy, "happy people in a beer commercial" sports bar, but a sports bar nonetheless.

One place I've never been to, also on the Upper West, is McAleer's. But, friends tell me the wigns are good.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/08/08 15:32:39
quote:
Originally posted by AndyNYC1

Believe it or not, the sterile looking "Pluck U." has really terrific wings. It's on 3rd Ave around 10th street.

There's also a PluckU on 35th and 2nd.
dcerto
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/08/26 15:30:25
I'm hard to please but ate Pluck U. three times a week during a summer at the U.N. Great stuff.
metsfan6986
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/09/01 14:54:46
I usually go to the Pluck U on Nassau St near City Hall
NancyPeter
Cheeseburger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/09/03 23:25:09
There was a Pluck U in central NJ years ago - excellent wings! Don't know if it's still there... Clever name--how do people come up with this stuff
HungryStoner
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/04 02:03:11
Hate to break it to everyone but the best wings are in the Bronx at Piper's Kilt on 231st. can't go wrong on mondat night when they ar 15 cents each.
LeeAnne
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/16 11:18:08
so sorry but I really think its The Back Page (.... http://backpagebar.com ) for unbelievably good wings AND the "stadium" comes out to be 5 cents each wing PLUS you get a big salad and tons of carrots and cellery AND they deliver it all over Manhattan.
yes 300 wings and a salad is a lot for 1 person but when i get it and everyone in the office kicks in $5, i end up making $ and i didn't have to go out in the cold to the Bronx to get it.
LeeAnne
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/16 11:25:39

Ironically, I ate lunch at the Back Page YESTERDAY. Small world indeed.

This is an ideal subject for me: I've lived in NYC for almost 20 years, but I grew up near Buffalo.

I think the Back Page has very good wings for NYC. I also like Down the Hatch, as whesung mentioned. Finally, Blondie's on the Upper West Side has always been very good. Each of these places have at one time or another been affiliated with Atomic Wings, begun by an NYC guy who went to college in Buffalo and learned secrets from the Anchor Bar and Duff's, two of Buffalo's better-known wings establishments.

By the way, goldsborscht, Back Page is anything by fancy schmancy. It's a sports bar. Kind of a frat boy, "happy people in a beer commercial" sports bar, but a sports bar nonetheless.
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.
One place I've never been to, also on the Upper West, is McAleer's. But, friends tell me the wigns are good.

Where is McAleer's and do they have a website? I live on the upper west side which I guess is not a hotbed for great wings.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/16 11:27:38
I, too, am sorry, but pretty much any corner bar in the Buffalo area has wings that are as good as the best in NYC! Kind of like Philly and cheesesteaks.

Sorry, couldn't resist jumping in.

I must admit that I'm not a big fan of Pluck U, the name aside. To me, they kind of taste like the best wings in a town that doesn't really have good wings. Then again, people used to rave about the wings at a former NYC bar called Entourage, and they bore no resemblance whatsoever to a legitimate Buffalo wing. They tasted fine, but they weren't what they said they were.
MurrayHill99
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/16 15:56:41
I'm not a big fan of Pluck U either. nothing like the wings I used to love in upstate NY. that said, I think each of the Atomic Wings outlets are pretty good, as are the wings at Back Page (which used to be Entourage). I wish Back Page would deliver some quantity less than 300...
LeeAnne
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/16 16:04:57
Amen! very frustrating!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/16 16:11:00
quote:

I, too, am sorry, but pretty much any corner bar in the Buffalo area has wings that are as good as the best in NYC! Kind of like Philly and cheesesteaks.

Phil, I'm surprised at you. Didn't you know that everything in NY is superior to the original. I remember back in NY everyone believed it was impossible that the Mexican Food in Albuquerque was better tban the Mexican food in the Best Mexican Restaurants in NYC!
LeeAnne
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/18 20:51:38
O.K. I just had Blondies and they were good!
I was prepared not to like them due to my loyalties to the wings I love on the East side but they were good. they took the "edge off" I have been craving all day but manic with holidays and work. I am so relieved to know I can get them over here on the west side.
I have to say that they are lacking in "something"... I can't put my finger on just what... and THAT blue cheese is NOT blue cheese! But I don't have the craving anymore.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2003/12/18 22:55:23
quote:
Originally posted by LeeAnne

O.K. I just had Blondies and they were good!
I was prepared not to like them due to my loyalties to the wings I love on the East side but they were good. they took the "edge off" I have been craving all day but manic with holidays and work. I am so relieved to know I can get them over here on the west side.
I have to say that they are lacking in "something"... I can't put my finger on just what... and THAT blue cheese is NOT blue cheese! But I don't have the craving anymore.

It's rough getting good blue cheese in NYC. I'm partial to a brand called Rooties, but there are lots of good ones.
LeeAnne
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2004/05/07 02:30:14
Amen

mikeyjake
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2004/05/19 13:06:56
My band is from Buffalo. We're done all the prime spots up there.

Their favorite in NYC is definitely Pluck You. I think they're cooked really well, but I do find the taste a little off... its not "standard" flavor.

Down the Hatch is actually serving Atomic Wings, another chain. They have two freestanding locations, plus other counters at DtH, Bar Coastal, and Ruby's Tap House.

The wings are some of the biggest and meatiest out there, but quality control on cooking is eh... often aren't cooked well enough. Flavoring is great, even the sacrosanct honey mustard wings.
mikeyjake
Junior Burger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2004/05/19 13:09:27
quote:

You'd think, but no. Plenty of horrible, horrible wings in Buffalo (I've probably had 20-30 different places up there). Linova Wings are positively attrocious. Every pizza place sells (bad) wings. Hell, the Chinese places sell 'em...

Duffs and Anchor Bar are good, but I've had better batches at Central Park grill and some NY spots.

But Buffalo is filled with plenty of horrible wings, as everyone with a fryer thinks they cam make them.
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
RE: The best buffalo wings in NYC 2008/12/15 03:11:58
I heard Bonnie's Grill has the best in Brooklyn, but haven't tried them yet.

__
www.thehotpepper.com