Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht?

Junior Burger
2007/02/13 22:39:04
My Dad has been making a variety of Polish borscht since I was a kid. He makes it twice a year... for Easter and XMas Eve. It takes days involving oatmeal, rye bread, straining the liquid from the mush, and who knows what other steps. It was always a bit bitter and I don't think I'd like it if it weren't for the mashed potatoes and melted butter that help mellow it out. In the last 10 years or so my dad started to add caramelized onions to the butter. It seemed perfect.

The thought of borscht with nothing in it never occurred to me until I tried some at a local restaurant www.collegiancourt.com in Chicopee MA. It was OK. But one day there was a borscht that was on the sweet side and I loved it... so much so that I had another cup for desert. That day the borscht was made by Dorothy, the matriarch of the family who owns the restaurant. They don't have it every Polish buffet day... sometimes using a concentrate from Chicopee Provision. I've repeatedly suggested Dorothy market it on the side.

Sorry Dad!
essemjay58
Cheeseburger
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/14 00:18:54
We like the sweet-sour cabbage borscht at the Brothers Deli in Minneapolis, and now we make a similar one at home from a recipe from Cecil's Deli in St. Paul, MN. Neither one has beets in it, it is just a sweet-sour tomatoey cabbage stew.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/14 11:17:30
It has been a while since I have been there but as I recall, Jakes Deli in Milwaukee had a very interesting Borscht soup. Also great corned beef.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
rockfest
Junior Burger
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/14 12:48:01
quote:
Originally posted by essemjay58

We like the sweet-sour cabbage borscht at the Brothers Deli in Minneapolis, and now we make a similar one at home from a recipe from Cecil's Deli in St. Paul, MN. Neither one has beets in it, it is just a sweet-sour tomatoey cabbage stew.

So borscht can be made from oatmeal/rye bread, beets, OR cabbage? It's making me wonder just what borscht is if it has little to do with its ingredients.

According to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht

What my dad makes and what's sold locally is Polish white borscht.

rockfest
Junior Burger
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/14 15:06:01
quote:
Originally posted by rockfest

My Dad has been making a variety of Polish borscht since I was a kid. He makes it twice a year... for Easter and XMas Eve. It takes days involving oatmeal, rye bread, straining the liquid from the mush, and who knows what other steps. It was always a bit bitter and I don't think I'd like it if it weren't for the mashed potatoes and melted butter that help mellow it out.

A few years ago my cousin asked my dad for his recipe and two XMas's in a row it proved to be a disaster. The first time the fermenting oatmeal and bread just stunk up the house. It got tossed out. The second time no one wanted to eat it. The next time my dad just gave him some frozen concentrate that he made. Curiously the borscht made at the local restaurant is whipped up in a day.
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/14 17:03:03
...Kiev Restaurant on 2nd ave and 7th st (i think) in NYC had my favorite cold borscht - they also did a killer pickle and potato soup...
...as much as i love to make soup, i find roasting beets a little too messy and time-consuming...my guilty pleasure is Gold's borscht from the supermarket - i doctor it up with fresh dill, sliced dill pickles, and hardboiled eggs...
fabulousoyster
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/14 20:39:12
I use jarred borscht from the supermarket too and doctor it up, I like it as a cold soup.
Trishkaidekaphobia
Cheeseburger
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/24 11:20:03
quote:
Originally posted by rockfest

quote:
Originally posted by essemjay58

So borscht can be made from oatmeal/rye bread, beets, OR cabbage? It's making me wonder just what borscht is if it has little to do with its ingredients.

According to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht

What my dad makes and what's sold locally is Polish white borscht.

What you folks are calling White Borscht is usually called Zur or Zurek in Poland. Some may call it Bialy Barszcz, but I think it's a regional thing - the name, not the soup.

True barszcz is made with a beet base - whether you put other vegetables in it, leave it clear, whiten it with sour cream, eat it hot or cold is up to you. But true barszcz will always contain beets.

By the way, soup made with beet greens (in the spring) is called Botwinka. Yum!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/25 22:26:02
Dearfolk,
My favorite borscht will be made by the mind-blowingly talented Alicia at Mama's Boy here in Amazing Athens, Georgia... as soon as I get her off her can-of-malaise to get on it!
Stay tuned. This station will not fade out at the next county line.
Manning My Own Humming Transmitter (A 1949 Western Electric), Ort. Carlton in Monaural Athens, Georgia.
pmrkr2
Cheeseburger
RE: Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht? 2007/02/25 23:10:29
cold borscht i'd go with murray's sturgeon on broadway with a strong runner up to barney greengrass (both in nyc). murray's also has schav in the summer for all you old timers.