blackening myth?

Texicana
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
blackening myth? - Mon, 07/28/03 3:14 PM
Alright I have an online friend I just love to prove wrong. He stated that the blackening trend started when cooks kept burning fish that was eventually just sent out and termed blackened. I dunno you guys, he may be right, but that just sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about to me. All comments are welcome!

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: blackening myth? - Mon, 07/28/03 3:52 PM
Hey Texicana,

Check out the definition of "blackened" from "The Food Lover's Companion." Their etymology is definitely different than your friend's explanation!
http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/food/index.ssf?TERM=blackened

Enjoy proving him wrong!

Meowzart

Texicana
RE: blackening myth? - Mon, 07/28/03 3:53 PM
Woohoo! I love it when I can be right about something, it happens so rarely Many thanks Meowzart!

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: blackening myth? - Tue, 07/29/03 12:16 AM
One key to making blackening work is a generous helping of fat. Good blackened redfish is no accident.

Eric

Texicana
RE: blackening myth? - Tue, 07/29/03 7:52 AM
Thanks Eric, I now have my ammunition in the battle of the smart@sses I was pretty sure the whole blackening thing was credited to Prudhomme, but I wanted to run it by the pros here first Actually I've never had a good blackened dish.

Rosie aka Texie

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: blackening myth? - Tue, 07/29/03 8:06 AM
Blackened redfish is great, in fact any blackened fish is great !! I have even had blackened prime rib !! That's pretty good too !

speaking of Prudhomme, is he still an active chef ?? I heard somewhere he had retired, but I am not sure where I heard it !

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: blackening myth? - Tue, 07/29/03 8:45 AM
Blackening was just a method to make a "trash fish" edible.

Texicana
RE: blackening myth? - Tue, 07/29/03 8:58 AM
Hillbilly, you have a point. And wasn't it sad that redfish became endangered because of that trend? Croakers are just as good, if you ask me.

Scbuzz I do remember Prudhomme's wife and business partner K passed away some years ago, and Chef Paul lost a huge amount of weight soon after. He looks great, but I don't know if he still works as a chef.