What to fry your fries in...

Cheeseburger
2007/02/19 18:44:45
I always wondered if this was true. According to a friend of mine, the best thing to fry fries in is rendered beef fat. It has to be 100% rendered (unlike what McD's used to use) not a mixture.

He says that you will get extremely crispy fries, with very little fat because the fat molecule is then too large to be absorbed by the potato.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/19 19:08:10
NO! Duck fat is the way to go. Chow Jim
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/20 13:47:48
Where would I get this rendered beef fat to fry with? My mama used to use lard when I was growing up and it sure tasted good on homemade fries. I do see lard in the grocery store but haven't had the nerve to buy it or use it.
dreamzpainter
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/20 15:53:57
Beef tallow is definately number one, but not heart healthy. I usually "fry" in a small amount of olive or peanut oil on a sheet pan in the oven but for the occasional deep fry I use peanut oil
genewj
Cheeseburger
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/21 12:49:19
Well the Blacks in my area use Lard and they do not seem to be worried about dying eaerly from fat..!!LOL
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/22 12:14:40
I have always used peanut oil.

It can stand the higher temps and does not break down as easily as some of the other oils.
bcory
Hamburger
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/22 20:19:23
Canola oil here
PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/23 01:51:47
Well ya can't boil em in beer.... so i'll fry em in peanut oil....
marzsit
Cheeseburger
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/25 05:23:44
in most of the uk, beef tallow (they call it beef dripping) is still used at almost every chip shop in every town, not just for fries but for everything deep-fried, including spam..

when i was a kid, i noticed at the local fairs that the grills they cooked the burgers on drained directly into the fryers for the fries. those were the days....:)

to answer your question though, yes, it does make very crispy and tasty fries but, they are plenty greasy.. much greasier than fries cooked in peanut oil.
fabulousoyster
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/25 09:23:54
I sometimes fry them in extra virgin olive oil! Put about an inch of oil in a frying pan add about 4 or 5 potatoes cut into french fries, fry till soft I like Idaho.

Remove fries, oil, leave about 2 tbs oil in pan. Add back potatoes, add 6 eggs, fry all together till done. Delicious with salt and pepper.
iqdiva
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/25 09:26:51
Peanut oil is absolutely the very best oil in which to fry anything !
marzsit
Cheeseburger
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/25 18:05:55
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

I sometimes fry them in extra virgin olive oil! Put about an inch of oil in a frying pan add about 4 or 5 potatoes cut into french fries, fry till soft I like Idaho.

Remove fries, oil, leave about 2 tbs oil in pan. Add back potatoes, add 6 eggs, fry all together till done. Delicious with salt and pepper.

those don't sound like french fries to me... home fries maybe, but a waste of extra virgin olive oil imho since it doesn't handle frying temps very well without scorching.

fwiw, if you insist on frying in olive oil, use extra light instead. tastes the same, probably better since it won't burn so easily...
caver
Cheeseburger
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/28 03:54:53
Not exactly what I was referring to, lard is rendered pork fat while tallow is rendered beef fat.

The whole point was to use <<only>> rendered beef fat for fries to end up with a (well drained) very crispy non-greasy batch.

According to him your fries would actually contain much less fat when you were done than if you used vegeteble oil because the fat molecules in the tallow could not be absorbed by the potato.

I was wondering if anyone had some empirical evidence to back that up.
fabulousoyster
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/28 09:08:12
Marzit, you should try it, its wonderful. I've never scorched them and it isn't a waste at all. It just delicious....but yes, everyone has different tastes.
marzsit
Cheeseburger
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/02/28 19:51:10
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

Marzit, you should try it, its wonderful. I've never scorched them and it isn't a waste at all. It just delicious....but yes, everyone has different tastes.

i never said it wasn't wonderful, however, the question asked in this thread was regarding what to fry french fries in. it never asked the best way to prepare potato and egg saute'...

have your tried heating extra virgin olive oil to 360 degrees?? i have... :(

it wasn't pretty.
fabulousoyster
RE: What to fry your fries in... 2007/03/01 08:53:58
I've also fried sweet potatoes in extra virgin olive oil.
You could use the same process, cut up about 4 or 5 potatoes and pan fry in 2 inches of EVOO.
Delicious, add a bit of salt and pepper.