Gene & Georgetti tonight

danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
  • Reward points : 0
Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 10:28 AM
I'm heading there tonight - haven't been in 10 years. Any suggestions on which steak to order? Sides? Desserts?

Thanks.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9785
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 10:41 AM
I have only been there once and had the Chicken Vesuvio, which was excellent. Sorry I can't help more, I'm just not a big steak guy.

saps
  • Total Posts : 1551
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 10:57 AM
Danimal-

I think this link might give you some ideas:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=743&highlight=gene+georgetti

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 11:07 AM
My personal favorite is the sirloin; and you must have cottage fries on the side. And the garbage salad is a joy, but huge and filling. Can't go wrong at G&G!

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2631
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 11:10 AM
I'll second Michael's choices and if you've got a group, order several different items and do the split thing to tatse them all. We never get the dessert as we usually go before something - concert, game, etc. and are usually running late by dessert time. Cottage fries are the must item...get the wallet ready! Great people watching!

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 11:35 AM
Cottage fries are definitely on my agenda. However, I'm concerned because the menu on their web site doesn't show cottage fries.

Also, I'm thinking of ordering a medium rare, charred NY Strip. Does that sound like the right order?

ChiTownDiner
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 11:59 AM
Only been there 3 times but all three, the steaks were cooked perfect. I order mine med-rare also.

ChiTownDiner
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 12:01 PM
BTW - if you're going with a "regular", service really goes up a notch or two! For the out-of-towners, quite a few "movers and shakers" in the crowd with some folks occupying specific tables and seats for years.

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 2:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

BTW - if you're going with a "regular", service really goes up a notch or two! For the out-of-towners, quite a few "movers and shakers" in the crowd with some folks occupying specific tables and seats for years.

I've heard that too, but unfortunately, my dining partner and I aren't regulars. I guess we'll be relegated to the second floor.

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 2:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by saps

Danimal-

I think this link might give you some ideas:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=743&highlight=gene+georgetti

Thanks. Very helpful

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 5:28 PM
The Chicken Vesuvio looks good to me. What's in it? Thanks.

ChiTownDiner
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 5:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by danimal15

quote:

I've heard that too, but unfortunately, my dining partner and I aren't regulars. I guess we'll be relegated to the second floor.

To be continued...let us know tomorrow...

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 6:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by signman

The Chicken Vesuvio looks good to me. What's in it? Thanks.

Ah - you must not be a Chicagoan.

Chicken Vesuvio is a favorite local dish around the city. Done properly, it's the most flavorful chicken you'll ever have. The chicken (bone-in) is browned in lots of olive oil, covered with garlic, has cheap white wine poured all over it, and, along with long wedges of potato, is baked until golden. Some places also cover the chicken with peas, but that's not necessary. It generally comes out of the oven with a crunchy skin and redolent of garlic. The potatoes get drenched in all the nice juices from the chicken. The smell from my kitchen while this is baking is heavenly.

The best place for chicken Vesuvio in the Chicago area, IMHO, was a restaurant in Glenview called Seven Hills, which unfortunately closed about six years ago. Another place that did the dish properly was Stephani's, on Fullerton Avenue in Lincoln Park, which also, alas, has closed. I haven't had the version at Harry Caray's in about 10 years, so I can't comment on it, but some say that's now the best. Also, the Chicken Vesuvio at Italian Village in the Loop is quite good. The Gene & Georgetti version gets a so-so review from local reviewer Pat Bruno, who says they went skimpy on the portions.

Some restaurants do the same basic thing with salmon and call it salmon Vesuvio.

I hope you get a chance to visit Chicago someday and try Chicken Vesuvio.

Ciaoman
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Wed, 02/21/07 7:06 PM
The Chicken Vesuvio sounds delicious. In fact, it kinda sounds like another great chicken dish...Chicken Scarpariello (Chicken Shoemaker-style). Chunks of chicken on the bone, sauteed in lots of olive oil and garlic, white wine added, fresh parsley and combined with pieces of Italian sausage and vinegar peppers. I think any chicken dish is improved when the chicken is left on the bone.

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Thu, 02/22/07 10:01 AM
I'm so sorry my meal at G&G is over. I spent all day yesterday looking forward to it, and now it's done. Great steak, but whether it was better or worse than any other of the NY strips I've had around downtown Chicago over the years I really couldn't say. I enjoy them all. Someday I'll need to do a comparison - put two or three side by side on my plate and I'll decide which one I enjoy the most - Morton's, G&G, Chicago Chop House, Gibson's - etc.

The steak last night was perfectly cooked medium rare, had a crusty exterior and a tender interior, and a wonderful beefy taste. Not sure how big it was, because the menu doesn't say. I'd guess it was less than 20 ounces, though. I could have used a larger one, because I was nowhere near full when I finished. I had a house salad and cottage fries on the side. The fries were excellent. Chocolate cake for dessert that was rich and not too fancy - just a traditional piece of cake.

My friend had the filet, and he ordered it medium. It came purple inside and he had to send it back for more oven time, but otherwise he enjoyed it.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9785
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Thu, 02/22/07 10:34 AM
danimal15-
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal. How was the service? I have heard that it can be aloof at times, but my one experience was good.

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Thu, 02/22/07 10:41 AM
I have no complaints about the service. Our waiter was plenty attentive, and even apologized to my dining companion for his steak being underdone. He wasn't warm and fuzzy, but I didn't need that. I've seldom had better service at any restaurant (I think it helps that they weren't too busy last night - there were a lot of empty tables).

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Thu, 02/22/07 10:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

The Chicken Vesuvio sounds delicious. In fact, it kinda sounds like another great chicken dish...Chicken Scarpariello (Chicken Shoemaker-style). Chunks of chicken on the bone, sauteed in lots of olive oil and garlic, white wine added, fresh parsley and combined with pieces of Italian sausage and vinegar peppers. I think any chicken dish is improved when the chicken is left on the bone.

That dish also sounds good. I hope I can try it someday.

ChiTownDiner
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Thu, 02/22/07 2:23 PM
Sounds like a great evening! Were you upstairs or down and did you spend any time at the bar?

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Thu, 02/22/07 3:04 PM
quote:

Sounds like a great evening! Were you upstairs or down and did you spend any time at the bar?

We were downstairs, and no, didn't spend time at the bar. Too smoky over there for me.

RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD
  • Total Posts : 191
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Thu, 02/22/07 3:13 PM
I envy your trip to G & G have not been there in at least 15 yrs. I also have fond memories of the Wells And Grant Tap Room, any comments?

Jim

ChiTownDiner
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Thu, 02/22/07 11:03 PM
I was a Grand Wells regular for many years...was sorry to see it go. I had more fun nights in that place..wow, just thinking about it. The steaks were great, the drinks were strong, and the action was always on!

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Fri, 02/23/07 8:08 AM
Our 500 year old waiter told us "You will be having the blue cheese" when taking our order on our first visit to Gene & Georgetti's. That was great advice. We went when I asked a friend whose opinion I trusted where the best lamb chops could be found. His reputation was only inhanced by that recommendation. They were so good, I've yet to order steak there.

danimal15
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Mon, 02/26/07 1:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Our 500 year old waiter told us "You will be having the blue cheese" when taking our order on our first visit to Gene & Georgetti's. That was great advice. We went when I asked a friend whose opinion I trusted where the best lamb chops could be found. His reputation was only inhanced by that recommendation. They were so good, I've yet to order steak there.

Lamb chops indeed were tempting. I might have to try those next time. Problem is, usually when you order lamb chops (anywhere), you get two or three little ones that are good for about three bites each, and you've spent $30. I trust that's not the case at G&G? I prefer an entire rack of lamb.

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Gene & Georgetti tonight - Mon, 02/26/07 1:23 PM
I know we were full and unlike Mrs MFL, I'm a big eater.