My family asked me to come up with a pizza that tastes like Chinese Take Out, so here it is: (It uses Hunt's Pasta Sauce) Chinese BBQ Pork Bun Flavored Pizza
One of my family members challenged me to make a pizza with Chinese flavorings. This makes a saucy, crunchy pizza that has the flavor of a Chinese BBQ Pork Bun. It turned out really good and now I have to make it frequently for my family.
Makes one 14 inch pizza
Total Time: about 7 hours (6 hour dough rise, 25 to 35 minutes baking) Pizza Crust
3/4 cup Water (room temperature- about 70-F to 80-F)
3/4 teaspoon White Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast (or 1 packet)
2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour (don't use bread flour, we want a biscuit like dough)
1/3 cup Yellow Cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon (0.25 oz) Table Salt
1/3 cup Cooking Oil ( 5 Tbsp Corn or Canola oil and 1 Tbsp Olive Oil)
- Add sugar and yeast to water, stir well. If not using instant yeast, allow the yeast to bloom in water for about
15-minutes. If using instant yeast, you can use the water mixture right away.
- Stir in flour, cornmeal and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in cooking oils.
- Mix for 1 minute then knead for 3 minutes. You can use a stand mixer or by hand. Add more flour or warm
water, a Tablespoon at a time, as needed, to make a workable dough.
- Don't over-knead, we want a biscuit like dough.
- Form dough into a ball, place in a large mixing bowl, coat dough lightly with oil, cover bowl and let dough rise
in a warm place for 6 hours. This long rise time develops a rich flavor in the dough that comes through in the
baked crust. You can use the dough after about 1 hour of rise, but it won't have the deep flavor.
- Punch down dough and allow it to rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- Press dough into pizza pan.
- Coat pizza dough evenly with Chinese BBQ Pork Bun Flavored Pizza Sauce.
- Add toppings evenly in the order listed.
- Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes Chinese BBQ Pork Bun Flavored Pizza Sauce:
1 1/4 cups Hunts Garlic and Herb Pasta sauce
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce
1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
1 Tbsp Honey
1 1/2 tsp Oyster Sauce
1 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
1 1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1 1/2 tsp Seasoned Rice Vinegar
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1/2 tsp Hickory flavored liquid smoke
Combine ingredients and mix well. Spread on pizza. Toppings:
2 cups Shredded Pulled Pork, drained of any liquid
1 cup finely diced cabbage coleslaw mix
1/2 cup Water Chestnuts, Diced (from canned, drained)
1 cup French's French Fried Onions (the ones used on a green bean casserole)
1 cup La Choy Chow Mein Noodles, slightly crushed
3/4 cup shredded Walmart Great Value Fiesta Blend cheese (Monterey jack, cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, asadero cheese)