Phillipine Egg Rolls

Author Message
Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/18/2001
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
Phillipine Egg Rolls - Tue, 07/29/03 8:39 PM
0
We have a place in Knoxville that sells Phillipine Egg Rolls. The are wonderful and I cannot ascertain what is the difference between theirs and the other egg rolls sold in our community.

If you can help, I would appreciate.


Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Richard Brooks Alba
  • Total Posts : 93
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/20/2000
  • Location: Lexington, KY
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 12/3/03 2:30 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

We have a place in Knoxville that sells Phillipine Egg Rolls. The are wonderful and I cannot ascertain what is the difference between theirs and the other egg rolls sold in our community.

If you can help, I would appreciate.


Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer,
Have you had any luck yet with this? If not, try looking up "lumpia" online - I'm presuming that's what your talking about. (They're sold all over the Bay Area, and always appear at office potlucks anywhere there are Filipino workers. I used to have a coworker who would make hundreds of them to parcel out to us, his buddies. Those bundles easily weighed a couple of pounds, and would be gone in no time, once I got home and fried them up. I bought my first wok because of this guy.) The key ingredient is pork, and locals seem to go really easy on the vegies. They are also very small here - about finger-sized. I remember them looking larger, much more like egg rolls, when I was growing in SoCal.
Good luck,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

yumbo
  • Total Posts : 330
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2001
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 12/3/03 3:31 PM
0
I think one difference is the thickness of the rice paper that's used. Lumpia wrappers come in a dried form and have to be soaked in warm water before they're pliable enough to use. They're so thin they're almost transluscent. The more traditional American-style Chinese egg rolls use a thicker rice-based wrapper that's about as thick as a tortilla. They're pliable and ready to use right out of the package.

I've had a hard time finding "egg rolls" in Taiwan and Hong Kong, which makes me think that they are more of an American creation made by enterprising Chinese immigrants, or maybe they were something that went out of style in Asia but stayed alive over here?

I've also noticed a difference in the fillings. Lumpias tend to go lighter on the cabbage and have more interesting stuff, like shredded carrots, scallions, and noodles.

yumbo
  • Total Posts : 330
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2001
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 12/3/03 3:33 PM
0
One more thing ... I've had versions of these things where you just wrap the fillings with the rice paper and skip the frying process. It's often served with a peanut-based dipping sauce. I am salivating all over my keyboard.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/9/2001
  • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 12/3/03 3:42 PM
0
I remember downing thousands of "Lumpia" rolls along with millions of bottles of San Miguel in Angeles, Pampanga in 1960 and 1961 when I was a 21 year old stationed at Clark Airbase. I have sought them out ever since, but the ones in NYC just aren't the same. An order of Lumpia usually consisted of 12 little finger sized rolls at Mamacito's Kiosk and Soldiers' Paradise bar. What memories!! And HEADACHES!

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/11/2001
  • Location: L.A, CA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Thu, 12/4/03 3:09 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by yumbo

One more thing ... I've had versions of these things where you just wrap the fillings with the rice paper and skip the frying process. It's often served with a peanut-based dipping sauce. I am salivating all over my keyboard.


Those are Vietnamese.

And yes, as many of you might have expected, I do just happen to have an old family recipe for lumpia. Of course, it makes about a million. I'll post it when I get home.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/9/2001
  • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Thu, 12/4/03 5:14 PM
0
Has anyone else ever had the Phillipine delicacy, "Baloot"? Kids roamed the streets with baskets of them for sale 40 years ago. They are eggs which have been incubated to the extent that the embryo is formed except for the bones and feathers. Supposed to be a major aphrodisiac (not that 20 someting G.I.s needed that), but always good for a "chicken" bet after enough San Miguels, Tanduway Rum or Booncoon rotgut. And did they ever smell!!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/18/2001
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Thu, 12/4/03 6:24 PM
0
There is a place on Magnolia in Knoxville close to the park that sales the egg rolls. I am going to there this week end and purchase some. They have been there many years and I hear that they are very good.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/3/2001
  • Location: Alexandria, VA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Thu, 12/4/03 7:44 PM
0
I visit relatives in Manilla every two years or so. There's scads of people wandering the streets selling things but I've never come across anyone selling baloot. The sample I tried was purchased from a market. It was memorable for sure, and, yes, it required a long swig of San Miguel to wash it down. Still, I can't say it left the type of impression on me that would make me bite through a chicken embryo again. Can't get enough of those mangos though.

quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

Has anyone else ever had the Phillipine delicacy, "Baloot"? Kids roamed the streets with baskets of them for sale 40 years ago. They are eggs which have been incubated to the extent that the embryo is formed except for the bones and feathers.

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/11/2001
  • Location: L.A, CA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/5/03 4:12 AM
0
Here is my lumpia recipe. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.


Bandin's Lumpia

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

2 1/2 lb. lean ground beef

1 lb. medium raw shrimp,
peeled, deveined, chopped

1 large can water chestnuts,
drained and chopped fine

5 green onions, chopped

1 tbsp. sesame oil

2 raw eggs

3 or 4 cups oil for frying

1 tbsp. water

2 tbsp. flour

2 packages lumpia or spring roll wrappers

Mix together first 8 ingredients by hand.

Make a paste with the water and flour. Set aside. Start oil heating.

Separate each lumpia wrapper carefully. Take 1 1/2 tbsp.
filling for each lumpia. Place it 1 inch from left side
wrapper in a 1/2” wide by 3” long log-shaped roll.

Roll up lumpia towards the right. Seal with flour-water
paste. Deep-fry 3-4 minutes until medium brown.

capnhank
  • Total Posts : 96
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/10/2003
  • Location: Campbell, CA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/5/03 5:06 PM
0
Yummy!
I remember taking a public speaking course in college where everyone had to do a "training" presentation. Most people explained something mundane (I, for instance, explained the subtle art of doing laundry), but one young lady offered up her Mother's lumpia recipe - complete with samples! Super good and super greasy! Not at all unlike the tiny Vietnamese deep-fried eggrolls (as opposed to the uncooked, rice-paper ones with the three shrimp on top), but porkier (is that a word?).

Clothier - She deep-fried them at room temp.

Re: Baloot
Those things always turn up on "Fear Factor" when they have to eat something really gross. It's either nightcrawlers, pig rectums, cow brains or baloot. Nasty.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/18/2001
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/5/03 6:09 PM
0
How do you deep fry at room temp?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/11/2001
  • Location: L.A, CA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/12/03 3:11 AM
0
It doesn't matter the temperature (and you COULD fry at room temperature if you were in a really, really hot room, that's how!). But you will want to prepare them ahead of time and fry just before serving, so they will probably be refrigerator-temp. In a perfect world, you have 3 Filipino aunties who stay in the kitchen frying and refilling the tray during your party, but I understand not everyone is so lucky.

wesza
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/11/2003
  • Location: seattle, WA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/12/03 4:01 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

Has anyone else ever had the Phillipine delicacy, "Baloot"? Kids roamed the streets with baskets of them for sale 40 years ago. They are eggs which have been incubated to the extent that the embryo is formed except for the bones and feathers. Supposed to be a major aphrodisiac (not that 20 someting G.I.s needed that), but always good for a "chicken" bet after enough San Miguels, Tanduway Rum or Booncoon rotgut. And did they ever smell!!

wesza
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/11/2003
  • Location: seattle, WA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/12/03 4:08 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

Has anyone else ever had the Phillipine delicacy, "Baloot"? Kids roamed the streets with baskets of them for sale 40 years ago. They are eggs which have been incubated to the extent that the embryo is formed except for the bones and feathers. Supposed to be a major aphrodisiac (not that 20 someting G.I.s needed that), but always good for a "chicken" bet after enough San Miguels, Tanduway Rum or Booncoon rotgut. And did they ever smell!!


In Honolulu and throughout the West Coast we have many stores that offer either Chicken or Duck Balut. Either individually or by the dozen.

The very popular West Coast Supermarket Chain, "Ranch 99" at the two Seattle Stores has them on SPECIAl every few weeks.

Also, "Lumpia", is sold frozen or fresh. Almost always Pork Based or Vegeterian. One of the first recipes featuring beef was posted onthis board. Only other place i've had it was at some Kosher Caterers who prepare Lumpia with Chicken or Beef as a novelty.

Irwin

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/16/2002
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/12/03 8:56 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Place it 1 inch from left side wrapper in a 1/2” wide by 3” long log-shaped roll.
I'm having a little trouble picturing this. 1/2" seems awfully narrow for it to hold the filling. Maybe 1-1/2"?

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/11/2001
  • Location: L.A, CA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Sat, 12/13/03 3:35 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Place it 1 inch from left side wrapper in a 1/2” wide by 3” long log-shaped roll.
I'm having a little trouble picturing this. 1/2" seems awfully narrow for it to hold the filling. Maybe 1-1/2"?


The filling itself is shaped into a "log" which is about 1/2" x 3". The wrapper is bigger than that. Some of these things are so easy when you see it, but hard for me to translate into English.

clrkaddison
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/27/2004
  • Location: joliet, IL
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Tue, 01/27/04 1:37 AM
0
my filipino father in law has told me about balut. none for me thank you. but the finger sized eggrolls discussed earlier are the best, but only if you are on the consuming end of them and not the preparing end. when my mother in law makes them, she makes them by the hundreds and freezes them for later. the filipinos i know also make spring rolls that aren't fried, but they aren't wrapped as tightly and are messier to eat.

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/24/2001
  • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 03/3/04 9:06 AM
0
Elise, How many lumpia does your recipe make? I am making them for dinner tonight and need to know how much to scale your recipe down (if necessary)

Jellybeans
  • Total Posts : 312
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/24/2003
  • Location: Oxford, VA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 03/3/04 10:14 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by yumbo

I've had a hard time finding "egg rolls" in Taiwan and Hong Kong, which makes me think that they are more of an American creation made by enterprising Chinese immigrants, or maybe they were something that went out of style in Asia but stayed alive over here?

I've also noticed a difference in the fillings. Lumpias tend to go lighter on the cabbage and have more interesting stuff, like shredded carrots, scallions, and noodles.


Hey Yumbo: it hasn't gone out of fashion. We call them 'spring rolls' (chun gwin in Cantonese). Usually, (in Southeast Asia, at least), we eat them as part of our dim sum ensemble.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/12/2004
  • Location: Knoxville, TN
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Mon, 09/20/04 5:56 PM
0
I have made many a meal off the lumpias on Magnolia. They're excellent. I also have a sister in law who is filipino and have learned to make lumpias as well. I think there are a lot ov variations. They're all good. I would not however compare them to an egg roll.
Also, something you don't see much in Knoxville is good potstickers, or dumplings, as they are officially called. I actually buy them at Sam's Club as that is the only store in town I have seen that sells them.

carl reitz

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/11/2001
  • Location: L.A, CA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Sun, 11/28/04 11:10 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

Elise, How many lumpia does your recipe make? I am making them for dinner tonight and need to know how much to scale your recipe down (if necessary)


Sorry, I've been out of commission.

If you look at how many wrappers are in the lumpia wrapper package, it makes about twice that many. We always made them in a huge group effort, but I am assuming that when we figured out this recipe years ago, we would have adjusted the filling amount to the wrapper packages.

How many did it make?

Jennie
  • Total Posts : 389
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/31/2003
  • Location: Mt. Airy, MD
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Tue, 11/30/04 1:31 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
The filling itself is shaped into a "log" which is about 1/2" x 3". The wrapper is bigger than that. Some of these things are so easy when you see it, but hard for me to translate into English.


Yeah, they're pretty narrow. You try to roll them fairly tightly. Here are some pictures:

http://www.filipino.com.au/categ/cuisine/menu/lumpia.htm
http://www.tribo.org/filipinofood/lumpia.html
http://www.thelumpiafactory.com/

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1910
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/1/2004
  • Location: Millbury, MA
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Tue, 11/30/04 1:43 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

I remember downing thousands of "Lumpia" rolls along with millions of bottles of San Miguel in Angeles, Pampanga in 1960 and 1961 when I was a 21 year old stationed at Clark Airbase. I have sought them out ever since, but the ones in NYC just aren't the same. An order of Lumpia usually consisted of 12 little finger sized rolls at Mamacito's Kiosk and Soldiers' Paradise bar. What memories!! And HEADACHES!


Hey Hillbilly!! The San Miguel you get over here isn't the same either is it?

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/7/2003
  • Location: Rentiesville, OK
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Tue, 11/30/04 1:43 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Jennie

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
The filling itself is shaped into a "log" which is about 1/2" x 3". The wrapper is bigger than that. Some of these things are so easy when you see it, but hard for me to translate into English.


Yeah, they're pretty narrow. You try to roll them fairly tightly. Here are some pictures:

http://www.filipino.com.au/categ/cuisine/menu/lumpia.htm
http://www.tribo.org/filipinofood/lumpia.html
http://www.thelumpiafactory.com/


Jeniie---those first two sites are great!!---Thanks---got them bookmarked now!

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/9/2001
  • Location: North Wilkesboro, NC
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/10/04 4:50 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

quote:
Originally posted by Hillbilly

I remember downing thousands of "Lumpia" rolls along with millions of bottles of San Miguel in Angeles, Pampanga in 1960 and 1961 when I was a 21 year old stationed at Clark Airbase. I have sought them out ever since, but the ones in NYC just aren't the same. An order of Lumpia usually consisted of 12 little finger sized rolls at Mamacito's Kiosk and Soldiers' Paradise bar. What memories!! And HEADACHES!


Hey Hillbilly!! The San Miguel you get over here isn't the same either is it?

Consistency was not the strong point for SM served in the bars in Angeles, Pampanga. Some nights I could stack 30 to 40 bottles with only trips to the binjo to divert my attention. Other times, 4 bottles of very high alcohol content would turn me into a falling down drunk.

Our currency was king size Chesterfield cigarettes. We could buy a 10 pack carton on base for $1.10, sell them in the Angeles market for 18 pesos and pay 40 centavos per SM. That came out to 45 beers for $1.10.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/12/2004
  • Location: Knoxville, TN
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 07/20/05 5:14 PM
0
I just finished making 40 lumpias this afternoon and I am quite proud of myself for doing it. Very simply I just used 2 lbs of ground pork which I added spices to, then chopped up onions, carrots, radish, garlic, spices, mixed with the pork, and formed small lumpias using egg roll wrappers. I've not found the correct wrappers yet here in town but for my purpose today egg roll wrappers worked just fine. I don't have a deep fryer so I fried them in the wok and they took no time at all.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/18/2001
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 07/20/05 5:50 PM
0
Carlton, I stopped by the Phillipine Connection on Magnolia the other day and bought a couple of dozen of their lumpia/egg rolls of various kinds from veggie to shrimp. They were very good. I did not know that they cook to order. I waited about 20 minutes but it was worth it. Very little seating on the inside.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/13/2003
  • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 07/20/05 7:27 PM
0
Cheese lumpia are tasty, too. Cheese as filling, and fry them up. Lumpia comes in any size you want; the cheese version are the small ones, about three inches by 3/8.

The uncooked (fresh) lumpia is vegetable, traditionally based in julliene heart of coconut palm. The wrapper is more like a crepe than the flour-based wrapper for fried lumpia.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/12/2004
  • Location: Knoxville, TN
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Thu, 07/21/05 7:43 PM
0
Gordon, I've not heard of cheese lumpias and did not know the filipinos were known for their cheese either. My filipino sister in law has not mentioned them. I thought lumpias all had a meat/vegetable mixture.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/13/2003
  • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Thu, 07/21/05 8:32 PM
0
Well...to be honest, it's really junky cheese. Processed cheddar stuff that can sit on a store shelf without air conditioning in the tropical heat. That's a big reason why it can be fried. But I can assure you that I ate a bunch of them when I lived in the Philippines -- regular fare at cocktail parties and as beer-drinking snacks.

iamsmokie
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/4/2007
  • Location: Rio Rancho, NM
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Tue, 09/4/07 6:45 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

Gordon, I've not heard of cheese lumpias and did not know the filipinos were known for their cheese either. My filipino sister in law has not mentioned them. I thought lumpias all had a meat/vegetable mixture.

Barbarainnc
  • Total Posts : 92
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/7/2004
  • Location: Laurinburg, NC
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Wed, 12/19/07 3:59 PM
0
The best lumpia sauce is equal parts of sugar, vinegar and Banana Ketchup. I got this from a Philipine Restaurant back home. It is the real thing. NO cooking,just stir to dissolve the sugar.

Earl of Sandwich
  • Total Posts : 600
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/21/2007
  • Location: hamilton, OH
RE: Phillipine Egg Rolls - Fri, 12/21/07 12:57 PM
0
Lumpias are one of my favorite all-time snacks. Fun to make, and I'll usually make 50 at a time and freeze them. Phillipine Connection makes some of the best IMO.