The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Need help with Pennsylvania areas

familydok

• Total Posts: 231
Need help with Pennsylvania areas Mon, 03/12/07 12:40 PM (permalink)
We will be leaving for a couple of weeks in Pennsylvania the end of April. We will be staying in Drums. We will spend a night in Gettysburg on the way up and a night in Hershey area on the way back. We also plan to visit Lancaster. Any suggestions on local foods and places to not miss will be great. I have been there briefly, but my husband has not and he is looking forward to this trip! Thanks for all your help in the past!

LeeMargo

• Total Posts: 71
    RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Mon, 03/12/07 12:53 PM (permalink)
    Here is a great site for the Dutch Country

http://www.800padutch.com/

make sure you take a ride on the railroad... I always loved it!

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
      RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Mon, 03/12/07 1:03 PM (permalink)
      It's only open on Friday, but it's an experience:

www.greendragonmarket.com

smarchit

• Total Posts: 32
        RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Wed, 03/21/07 10:26 PM (permalink)
        When I am in the Lancaster area, Shoo-Fly Pie is a must! Several places in the area offer it, but my personal preference, if for no other reason than the unique building, is the <a href="http://www.dutchhaven.com">Dutch Haven</a>, which is a few miles east of Lancaster on US 30 in the town of Ronks. And while it's easily been 15 years since I took the excursion, I'll second LeeMargo's suggestion of a trip on the <a href="http://www.strasburgrailroad.com">Strasburg Railroad</a>.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
          RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Wed, 03/21/07 10:38 PM (permalink)
          While you are staying in Drums are you open to driving about 30-45 minutes? Wilkes-Barre and Scranton have some very good restaurants---distinctive pizza, Italian, diners, etc. Hazleton is a little closer too, but I only have a few rec's there. Let me know. I'll write back.

familydok

• Total Posts: 231
            RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Sat, 03/24/07 9:54 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by stanpnepa

While you are staying in Drums are you open to driving about 30-45 minutes? Wilkes-Barre and Scranton have some very good restaurants---distinctive pizza, Italian, diners, etc. Hazleton is a little closer too, but I only have a few rec's there. Let me know. I'll write back.
            Yes, we are driving up and are willing to go 1-3 hrs. to see, do and eat something special!! My husband is especially interested in Philly Steak and Cheese-after The White House in Atlantic City he has been disappointed in others! Please share ideas.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
              RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Sat, 03/24/07 11:00 AM (permalink)
              Ah, Drums! I'm a couple miles up the road in Mountain Top. I'm not sure I'd describe anything locally as "can't miss", but there are some options better than others. Could you give me an idea of what you're looking for, other than Philly steak & cheese? How long will you be in the area? Do you want road food, or fine dining, or either? Are you interested in entertainment options as well? Either Stan or myself can look at the local events calendars for you, too.

Tom

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
                RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Sat, 03/24/07 11:37 PM (permalink)
                There's a thread on here called "Pennsylvania Cuisine" Go to the search feature on the home page and type it in. You'll get numerous suggestions.

Footnote to ALL Roadfooders. The Search function can give you info on practically any topic in the world of foog and then some.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
                  RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Sat, 03/24/07 11:39 PM (permalink)
                  CORRECTION!!!! Go to the Forums page,NOT THE HOME PAGE to get to the SEARCH function. Sorry about that

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1503
                    RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Thu, 04/25/13 4:22 PM (permalink)
                    That night in Gettysburg.............Go south Young Man, go South.to Emmitsburg, Md and visiting the famous Chewingthefat at Chubby's!

http://chubbysbbq.net/

Nearer to Harrisburg than Hershey, the Capitol Diner on exit 2 of Route 283 is always a good choice

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6103
                      RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Thu, 04/25/13 5:01 PM (permalink)
                      Thank You, FriedClamFanatic!

Davwud

• Total Posts: 504
                        RE: Need help with Pennsylvania areas Thu, 04/25/13 5:22 PM (permalink)
                        FriedClamFanatic

That night in Gettysburg.............Go south Young Man, go South.to Emmitsburg, Md and visiting the famous Chewingthefat at Chubby's!

http://chubbysbbq.net/

Nearer to Harrisburg than Hershey, the Capitol Diner on exit 2 of Route 283 is always a good choice

Introduce yourself to Tom too. He's a great guy, shameless self promoter and all 'round food lover.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com