Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mashed Potato as a side dish

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 76
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Mon, 04/13/09 6:34 PM (permalink)
There's a hamburger joint on Raadets Gade in Charlotte Amalie called the Crazy Cow. The big seller there after midnight was always a  burger with peas and mash. That's mashed potatoes with peas.

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
    Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Wed, 06/3/09 2:14 PM (permalink)
    I still do them like my elementary school cafeteria... mashed smooth, salt peppper, butter and milk. Then spread in a baking pan and cover with mellow American cheese. Bake until the cheese melts. Sometimes I add chopped green onions to the potatoes. 

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
      Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 06/7/09 2:42 PM (permalink)
      I serve mashed potatoes with any kind of meat & gravy.   Also, always with sauerkrault & weiners  or liver & onions.

The very best potatoes I've ever used were home grown by my grandfather.   I've never again seen such good looking & great tasting potatoes.  I don't know the variety of potatoes, but the inside was very white,the texture very dense.  When mashed the potatoes were the smoothest  I have very tasted.  He saved his own potatoes from year to year for planting.  His potatoes always won the blue ribbon at the county fair.  I loved helping him dig potatoes. 

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
        Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 06/7/09 8:49 PM (permalink)
        The key to any vegetable is freshness.  I grew potatoes years ago & learned quickly how much better they tasted when cooked immediately from the garden.

Of course, there are mashed and there are mashed.  I'll never understand how anyone can eat the library paste at KFC.

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
          Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Tue, 06/9/09 10:09 AM (permalink)
          I like mashed potatoes made many ways, except no horseradish for me.  I like Bubble and Squeak, colcannon, sausages with saurkraut and mashed potatoes. I usually make mine with cream or sour cream and butter and salt and pepper, but the ones with garlic and chicken broth are also yummy.  Mashed potatoes made with Yukon Gold potatoes are a bit bland to me, but then I never met a potato I did not like. (maybe  cause  I am of English/Irish heritage)

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
            Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Tue, 06/9/09 10:36 AM (permalink)
            I can't wait until our Farmer's Markets here in Minneapolis start carrying new potatoes.  They are simply delicious, and so abundant (in season), that I even use them for mashed potatoes.

I keep mine very simple -- boiled, put through a ricer, add skim milk and butter (yes, I know) and then beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.  We invariably have mashed potatoes with fried chicken and pan milk gravy.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
              Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Tue, 06/9/09 11:38 AM (permalink)
              I grew up on very smooth mashed potatoes so I always made mine smooth until my mixer died.  Now I hand mash so they are a little chunkier and BF prefers them that way.  Add butter, warm milk, s & p.  Love garlic but not in my potatoes.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Wed, 06/10/09 6:03 PM (permalink)
                Try using either chicken or beef boullion disolved in whole cream and added to the mash. theboullion takes the place of salt and adds great flavor!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                  Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Wed, 01/23/13 9:21 AM (permalink)
                  A new variety of potato is coming out. It is a Univ of Idaho selection (no surprise there!!!) just named "Huckleberry Gold". It has been trialed for several years, under a number. (Few "numbered" varieties are ever judged good enough to be named and "released"). It has been tested  as a masher by several famous west coast chefs, and universally judged to be the very best. 

You will not see it soon, because seed is still in very short supply, and expensive. I bought 5 lbs. (my main crop will come from 50 lbs each of Red Norland, Purple Viking, and Red Gold).

For those of you who have a home garden, why not try some? Order your seed early! 

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
                    Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Thu, 01/24/13 7:38 PM (permalink)
                    It may be considered cheating with lobster...but I really don't care.

The lobster mashed potatoes at Christos in Astoria.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
                      Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Thu, 01/24/13 7:47 PM (permalink)
                      Lobster with mashed potatoes?  Not for me.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                        Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Fri, 01/25/13 11:03 AM (permalink)
                        Me neither. Chunks of smoked pork or brisket with lots of garlic though... like a KFC Famous Bowl, but you know, good.

pineyhill

• Total Posts: 87
                          Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Fri, 01/25/13 11:56 AM (permalink)
                          One of my favorite dinners, is pork chops made in cream of mushroom soup, mashed potatoes with home frozen sweet corn.  Always making sure to smother the potatoes and corn in the gravy.  mmmmmm good.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6205
                            Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Fri, 01/25/13 12:09 PM (permalink)
                            Seems I'm always making mashed potatoes.  MH loves them....with lamb shanks, meatloaf, turkey.......just about everything.  I'm not partial to mashed, I like pommes darphin but will only make it with roast duck.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                              Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sat, 01/26/13 8:02 AM (permalink)

rneiner

• Total Posts: 87
                                Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sat, 01/26/13 8:26 AM (permalink)
                                Mashed sweet potatoes

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                                  Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sat, 01/26/13 10:36 AM (permalink)

Michael Hoffman

Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sat, 01/26/13 11:34 AM (permalink)
                                    lleechef

I'm not partial to mashed, I like pommes darphin but will only make it with roast duck.

Which is why I've invited my daughter over for dinner soon. lleechef's pommes darphin is the most wonderful potato dish I've ever had in my life.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                                      Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 8:50 AM (permalink)
                                      I looked up pommes darphin (named after the chef who invented it). There seem to be lots of delicious looking variations. I've seen similar food passed off as "hash browns". I'll be trying it with dinner soon.......yum. I'm always the last to know.......lleechef is Michael's daughter? Lucky guy!!!!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                        tmiles

I looked up pommes darphin (named after the chef who invented it). There seem to be lots of delicious looking variations. I've seen similar food passed off as "hash browns". I'll be trying it with dinner soon.......yum. I'm always the last to know.......lleechef is Michael's daughter? Lucky guy!!!!

lleechef is Michael's wife. He's even luckier. I invited the daughter for dinner because that way I can get lleechef to make the roast duck and pommes darphin.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                          Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                          I'm looking up some recipes for lobster mashed potatoes. Never thought of that before. I've had and made lobster macaroni & cheese and always feel that the lobster gets a little overshadowed by the cheeses used. I could definitely see it in mashed potatoes.

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                            Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                            Rusty246

I grew up on very smooth mashed potatoes so I always made mine smooth until my mixer died.  Now I hand mash so they are a little chunkier and BF prefers them that way.  Add butter, warm milk, s & p.  Love garlic but not in my potatoes.

Yes, indeed. I don't care much for riced or whipped potatoes, they get pasty when done that way. Mashed with a masher, russets not cooked to oblivion, use evap. milk and they are great!!! I grew up in western NY, potato country, my wife grew up in Calif. She will boil potatoes, then when they are done, turn off the heat, leave them in the hot water until she's darned ready to deal with them. Then she'll either rice them or whip them with a hand mixer. They are ALWAYS pasty and the only way to eat them is with enough gravy to overcome the paste! Needless to say, I cook the potatoes!!

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2367
                                              • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                              Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 1:26 PM (permalink)
                                              I posted this in my trip report, but seeing an active post for mashed potatoes I thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I had this meal of country fried steak and mashed potatoes at the Rose Garden Restaurant in Silverpoint, TN.  The steak & gravy were good, but the highlight of my meal was the mashed potatoes. With no gravy or butter on top, I had low expectations, but these were great.  The potatoes were moist and had a slight tang, my wife said they must use buttermilk in them.  We asked the waitress and she confirmed it was the buttermilk I was tasting.  Best mashed potatoes ever!  The Rose Garden is worth a stop just for them.
                                              <message edited by JRPfeff on Sun, 01/27/13 1:28 PM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
                                                Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 2:22 PM (permalink)
                                                Agnes...I don't know if she has shared the recipe anywhere but the Christos lobster mashed potatoes are by Chef Mina Newman...a "Chopped Champion"

kevincad

• Total Posts: 399
                                                  Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 4:23 PM (permalink)
                                                  Fieldthistle

Hello All,
                                                  I love mashed potatoes with plenty of pepper and salt in
                                                  it.  and when I am in a mood, I'll swirl in some yellow mustard.
                                                  Mashed potatoes goes with any meat I eat...any meat.
                                                  It is the perfect side dish, and mix it corn, it is even better.
                                                  Take Care,
                                                  Fieldthistle

Yes., I agree, I can make a whole meal of mashed potatoes and corn that has been cooked with some butter!! Or peas... 

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                                    Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                                    I agree...love to blend in corn with my mashed potatoes...that made my school food edible!!!!!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                      • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                      Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 4:53 PM (permalink)
                                                      kevincad

Fieldthistle

Hello All,
                                                      I love mashed potatoes with plenty of pepper and salt in
                                                      it.  and when I am in a mood, I'll swirl in some yellow mustard.
                                                      Mashed potatoes goes with any meat I eat...any meat.
                                                      It is the perfect side dish, and mix it corn, it is even better.
                                                      Take Care,
                                                      Fieldthistle

Yes., I agree, I can make a whole meal of mashed potatoes and corn that has been cooked with some butter!! Or peas... 

Miss reports from Fieldthistle.....

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                        Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 7:01 PM (permalink)
                                                        Let's get this straight right now.
                                                        Based on all the comments above, Mashed Potatoes are NOT a side dish!
                                                        They are the Main Dish!
                                                        Everything else served with them is a side dish.
                                                        End of Discussion!!!!!
                                                        SPUDS RULE!!!
                                                        (BTW, where did the term "Spuds" come from?)

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Sun, 01/27/13 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                          Well, there was this dog, see. And he loved to dig in the dirt for potatoes because he really liked to have French fries with his beer. The dog's name was Spuds McKenzie. So that's how come potatoes are called Spuds.

johndsweeney

Re:Mashed Potato as a side dish Mon, 01/28/13 6:48 PM (permalink)
                                                            According to Wikipedia, the term spud comes from a Dutch word meaning small digging tool.  This is also where the word spade comes from.

John D. Sweeney
                                                            Herndon, va

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 76

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com