BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON??

Wandering Chew
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points : 0
BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Thu, 03/15/07 8:29 PM
We are travelling to Maine in 2 weeks and are flying into Boston-Logan.
i want to stop for bagels and lox, whitefish etc before leaving for our house in ME-jewish food wasteland otherwise wonderful- suggestions w/in reasonable proximity to Logan- dont mind driving but prefer to keep it to 20 minutes or so and then head north- also it shouldnt be a total loss(say it like Mike Meyers doing his mother in law)a great donut shop with rough directions please (is MIKES in Everett?? do-able??)

Where should we eat lunch- looking for best roadfood- all tastes welcome

Wandering Chew
RE: BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Fri, 03/16/07 6:57 PM
From scarcity (O) of replies I guess Boston is not a place for Bagels or Lox and Jews(or lox and bagel fans) must travel to the motherland (NYC) for the real deal! Where have all the Bostonians gone-or do you (and i will) mail order from Zabars, Barney Greengrass or Russ and Daughters at a steep premium on 1 day shipping.

Signed,
Sleepless (over impending bagel void)in Miami

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Sat, 03/17/07 5:33 AM
i really don't know if it is still there but there used to ba a wonderful spot for bagesl--and all meals kosher /deli--close to the Pru--called the "Bulkie"--granted this was years ago--but--you might look--or some of you locals still there may know--they also had great potato pancakes--and there was a fabulous bakery just down the street for desserts--i cant remember the name--but i do remember the Napoleons!

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Sat, 03/17/07 9:33 AM
Boston is pretty poor in the kosher deli area. There are some good ones in the Burbs though, demographics I guess.
Your best bet in the area would be Zaftigs or Rubins on Harvard Ave. in Brookline, both easly accesible from the Green line of the T.
Over in Chelsea just across The Bridge is Katz's bagle bakery very good bagles. There use to be and may still be there Maxies Deli in Chelsea also real old school type deli, I'll check on that one. Chow Jim

Wandering Chew
RE: BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Sat, 03/17/07 1:55 PM
Thanks Jim and Tiki
I saw Kupels or Kupfels (brookline-ish)and Rosenfelds(?)(NEWTON CENTER) on chowhound.com -comments?

mollydingle
  • Total Posts : 221
RE: BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Tue, 03/20/07 1:10 PM
Yeah, it's generally deli hell. Zaftig's is OK as is Johnny D's Luncheonette in Newton.S&S is the grandfather of Boston area delis. I haven't been in years so I don't know how the food is. It used to be OK. Great portions. It's in Cambridge. The Asgard pub in Cambridge has a wonderful Irish breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Sorry I can't help with directions. B.S. drives, I pay for the meal.

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Tue, 03/20/07 1:42 PM
Not particularly close to Logan, but the strip of Harvard Street in Brookline between Coolidge Corner (Beacon Street) and Comm. Ave in Allston, sometimes known as JFK Crossing, is one of the few Kosher centers in metro Boston (and it's only about 2 blocks).

If you get there, I'd suggest Kupel's Bake & Bagel for bagels, and the Butcherie across the street for appetizing (it's more of a Kosher supermarket than a deli and can be quite a scene). http://www.butcherie.com/Buthcerie/SpecialN.htm

IMHO Kupel's bagels hold up to any in New England (and I used to live within walking distance of H&H in Manhattan).

There are other Kosher shops scattered around the suburbs, Canton, Newton and Needham come to mind, but Brookline is the last place I can think of with any concentration.

There is an Anna's Taqueria in the neighborhood, too. Popular, clean, cheap and good place for "Mission Style" burritos.

BTW - Rubin's Deli, a block or so toward Allston is a sit-down Kosher deli. I've been told by Jewish friends that it's the only Kosher deli left in Boston. But it's pretty tired and does not get very good reviews for being anything but Kosher. For dining, you might do better toward Coolidge Corner for deli or nicer stuff, or in Allston for a crazy mix of ethnicities set in college grunge.

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Tue, 03/20/07 2:23 PM
Just noticed you're coming from Miami. I know Dade-Broward has some excellent deli, but the places in Brookline are much better than what my BIL buys at his special place in North Miami Beach/Aventura, if that gives you any idea.

Wandering Chew
RE: BAGELS LOX IN BOSTON?? - Sat, 03/24/07 7:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

Just noticed you're coming from Miami. I know Dade-Broward has some excellent deli, but the places in Brookline are much better than what my BIL buys at his special place in North Miami Beach/Aventura, if that gives you any idea.

Yeah we have our favorites but nothing is like Zabars Barney greengrass etc-Aventura has dreck compared to a few places we like in South dade area- Roasters Deli, Bagel Express in Kendall-whats BIL's place??