Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/28 19:24:42
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Sometimes I make cornmeal dumplings in my pot of greens...

Mmm, now there's an Iqdiva Idea I could relate to. Sort of hush puppy style, or what?
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/28 19:32:54
Fine white Adams cornmeal,chopped green onion,black pepper,salt ,an egg,pot likker to make a dough you can make patties with...Make patties a little smaller than your palm...Lay them on top of the simmering greens ...Cover the pot and simmer 15-20 minutes.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/28 19:40:26
quote:
Originally posted by dickestep

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Don Q dark (only) for me, thanks!

We like most of the same foods, Adjudicator, but I'm a little more liberal in my drinks than you. I'll drink most anything alcoholic.

Alrighty then. Here's some Mad Dog 4 'ya:

Drink up!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/28 19:43:26
quote:

Fine white Adams cornmeal,chopped green onion,black pepper,salt ,an egg,pot likker to make a dough you can make patties with...Make patties a little smaller than your palm...Lay them on top of the simmering greens ...Cover the pot and simmer 15-20 minutes.
That sounds like a super technique, Iqdiva! They should make a fine accent to a pot of greens. Nobody would throw those to the puppies to hush them.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/03/28 19:50:10
quote:

Alrighty then. Here's some Mad Dog 4 'ya:

Drink up!

Oh, my Dog! The last time I drank Mad Dog was in 1972 and I wound up married for the first time.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/01 10:06:17
My favorite collards recipe is similar to Adjudicator's, but with a couple of minor twists.

Sautéed Collards with Bacon
Recipe by BunglingBill

6 strips of bacon, chopped
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1-½ pounds washed collard greens, tough stems removed, left damp, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup chicken stock
¼ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.

Return the pan to medium-high heat. Add the butter and when melted, add the onions and garlic, and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 minutes. Add the damp collards and stir to combine.

Add the stock and stir. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the collard greens are tender, about 5 minutes.

Uncover, add the cream and lemon juice, and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the collards are very tender.

Add the bacon and adjust the seasoning, to taste.

Serve hot.

Bill’s Note: This recipe is just as good using Kale.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/02 13:28:40
Mustard greens. And they work great in place of spinach to make what would otherwise be spinach pie using phyllo dough.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/04 16:40:27
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

My favorite collards recipe is similar to Adjudicator's, but with a couple of minor twists.

Sautéed Collards with Bacon
Recipe by BunglingBill

Your recipe sounds delicious, Bill!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/04 16:43:22
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

Mustard greens. And they work great in place of spinach to make what would otherwise be spinach pie using phyllo dough.

That sounds like a super idea. I've made spinach quiche many times but never thought of substituting other greens.
iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/04 17:25:55
Bill,I made calzone yesterday using mustard greens instead of my usual spinach,hot Italian sausage,smoked mozzarella,garlic,onions,and roasted red peppers...My husband swooned !
iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/04 17:38:44
I'm sorry...I should've said Sonny !
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/04 18:12:34
quote:

Bill,I made calzone yesterday using mustard greens instead of my usual spinach,hot Italian sausage,smoked mozzarella,garlic,onions,and roasted red peppers...My husband swooned !

Mmm, I'm swooning, too, just from reading the contents; it sounds delicious!!!!
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 17:20:42
quote:

quote:

Mmm, I'm swooning, too, just from reading the contents; it sounds delicious!!!!

That does sound delicious, iqdiva.
And I like the smoked mozzarella better than non-smoked too. Some sun dried tomatoes sound like another possible ingredient ... yum!

iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 17:50:45
Good idea Sonny !
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 20:04:12
Collard greens with me cooked slow with some of Bentons pieces of ham and bacon, onion, salt and pepper and a little bit of vinegar with Tenneessee fried cornbread with lotsa butter. Sometimes I add mexican corn and onion and peppers in my cornbread and I let it cook in a cast iron pan that was preheaded with oil with some flour thrown in the bottom and I add the batter to this hot mixture and let it cook at 450-500F for about a hour. That way it gets real crispy.

I have had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner and midnight snacks. Goes good with libation also

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 20:09:13
Has anyone ever had a collard green sandwich ? White bread,mayonnaise heavily on both pieces of bread,some well drained cooked collard greens,a few drops of hot pepper vinegar,and a slice of Vidalia onion.Eat with a tall glass of sweet tea.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 20:25:47
There was another thread on this one.
iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 20:44:32
I'm sorry.I didn't know that it had been mentioned before.I discovered this sandwich in the book White Trash Cooking.I was so intrigued with the idea of a "collard green sandwich" that I just had to try it ... Well,it was delicious and I have been eating them for 20 years now...I think that the author has since passed away.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 20:50:26
No need to appologize. Us Southern folk need to stick together. Are U familiar with the search function here on RF?
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 21:52:53
quote:

I'm sorry.I didn't know that it had been mentioned before.I discovered this sandwich in the book White Trash Cooking.I was so intrigued with the idea of a "collard green sandwich" that I just had to try it ... Well,it was delicious and I have been eating them for 20 years now...I think that the author has since passed away.

A tea sandwich of sorts? ;-)
Maybe a version with vienna sausages (along the lines of the notorius sandwich of vienna sausages with miracle whip and a dab of yellow mustard on wonder bread).
I'm not sure what kind of tea you'd drink with that.

Greens in a sandwich sounds good as long as they are "wrung dry".

Come to think of it ... a sandwich with Underwood Deviled Ham and collards does sound interesting ... maybe a third ingredient ... hmmm, mayo mixed with something sweet? - pineapple? - some candied crab-apple? (those tart, red, candied crabapple pieces sold at some grocery stores) ... maybe not the mayo?
A while ago RubyRose contributed a recipe for Glazed Bacon (using brown sugar) ... so, that using double-hickory-smoked bacon.
Making: Deviled Ham with Collards and Glazed Smoked Bacon with just a touch of candied crabapple.
Pushin the envelope here, folks.
Do not drink alcoholic beverages and operate heavy machinery while eating this sandwich.
Not recommended before bedtime.
For more information, consult your doctor ...

iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/05 22:34:05
No,no,Sonny...A regular sandwich ....Use "Southern-Style" cooked collards...I drain the amount of collards in a small sieve.Then,I just put them on some paper towels to blot them.I then use them for my sandwich.The tea is sweet southern iced tea !
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/07 18:05:38
I like to mix collards and turnip greens, cook them a long time with fat back or salt pork, salt, a bit of sugar and some onion. Serve with pepper sauce, buttered buttermilk cornbread, great northern beans cooked with a hambone, a baked sweet potato and rutabagas. Chow chow is optional. I always like this with banana pudding, french coconut pie or cobbler.
iqdiva
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/12 15:38:36
I've found a new way ( for me )to eat greens...Split a piece of hot cornbread,butter it,top the cornbread with hot cooked greens ( of any kind ).Then top the greens with a hot poached egg and crumbled crispy bacon...Great meal !
Rusty246
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/12 15:49:54
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by blue heaven

Thanks dickestep....all this is making me hungry, I think I will make some for dinner tonight. By the way the collards come already cleaned, chopped, triple washed by the bag now.

Hee hee hee! We've come a long way haven't we? I always triple rinsed mine in the sink.

Which brings me to mention that my ex sister-in-law used to put her greens in the washer and put it on rinse cyle....serously. Before they would spin she would shut the washer off to let the sand sink to the bottom. Remove the greens, then spin the water out.
speechpeach
Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/12 19:09:23
I have not tried that to get the greens clean, but I do have an aunt who cooked a fish in a dishwasher.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/12 19:44:16
I have heard of both dishwasher methods above & I actually have a book with a recipe for the dishwasher fish. Haven't tried either, yet. Don't think I will anytime soon, either.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/12 22:55:32
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Which brings me to mention that my ex sister-in-law used to put her greens in the washer and put it on rinse cyle....serously. Before they would spin she would shut the washer off to let the sand sink to the bottom. Remove the greens, then spin the water out.
Hee hee hee! I thought I was lazy, but she seems to have done me one better!
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/12 22:57:44
quote:

I have heard of both dishwasher methods above & I actually have a book with a recipe for the dishwasher fish. Haven't tried either, yet. Don't think I will anytime soon, either.
I have heard of those recipes, too, but never resorted to triying it.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/13 00:30:42
Sounds along the lines of food cooked on the engine block.
I've read accounts of people making fish, hotdogs, corn, burritos, and other things by wrapping them in tin foil and cooking them on the engine block (intake manifold) of the car while driving.

In keeping with the thread, might I suggest fresh trout, stuffed with mustard greens and cooked with plenty of butter and slivered almonds ... cook for 30 miles at 50 miles per hour.

Here's a link to a recipe from the SimplyMing website for "Chile-Ginger Chicken Cooked on the Manifold"
http://www.simplyming.org/recipes/322_Chile-Ginger_Oil-guest.html

Here's one for Engine Shrimp ...
http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/tailgating/recipes/engineshrimp.htm

This apparently isn't a new idea either ... try Pulled Pork and Apple Dumplings on the block of a Model-T. Here's a photo of the "Model-T Cooker and Bake" box which the dish was made in. http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/images/news/sept10_2006/100_1458.jpg

Now that's Roadfood!

dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/13 10:28:48
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

Sounds along the lines of food cooked on the engine block.
I've read accounts of people making fish, hotdogs, corn, burritos, and other things by wrapping them in tin foil and cooking them on the engine block (intake manifold) of the car while driving.

In keeping with the thread, might I suggest fresh trout, stuffed with mustard greens and cooked with plenty of butter and slivered almonds ... cook for 30 miles at 50 miles per hour.

Here's a link to a recipe from the SimplyMing website for "Chile-Ginger Chicken Cooked on the Manifold"
http://www.simplyming.org/recipes/322_Chile-Ginger_Oil-guest.html

Here's one for Engine Shrimp ...
http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/tailgating/recipes/engineshrimp.htm

This apparently isn't a new idea either ... try Pulled Pork and Apple Dumplings on the block of a Model-T. Here's a photo of the "Model-T Cooker and Bake" box which the dish was made in. http://www.oldrhinebeck.org/images/news/sept10_2006/100_1458.jpg

Now that's Roadfood!
You use some adventurous methods, Sonny. One of my favorite fast and easy treatments for fish filets is to place them on a bed of fresh spinach and splash with white wine, butter, lemon juice, and seasoned salt. Covered with Saran Wrap this will cook in a microwave in only a few minutes.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/15 12:10:09
I've got a recipe for corndogs ala' STP if anyone wants it. Also smoked beef via blown compression rings ala' shot muffler. Anyone care for steamed shrimp "Pontiac" ?? Steamed to perfection via blown head gasket.
Grillmeister
Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/04/15 12:41:43
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by genewj

We serve MEALS in the evening in a border Black area of town. Collard greens with Smoked Hog necks,hot sauce. Blackeyed Peas, yellow rice,Corn bread and macaroni and cheese..Basic meats are Chicken and BBQ Ribs with the third being Stew Beef..It works and we are constantly making collard greens and corn bread and macaroni and cheese..my 2 bits

You know, it was 1965 at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio I was first told that sort of foods were soul food. I'd been eating them all my life without being aware they were associated with any particular ethnicity. My Mom was also careful to train us to recognise and prepare Poke Salat, as well as other wild edibles. It's all good food to me.

That's the way we ate as well, even in the middle of Suburbia! Summer meals at my grandmothers consisted of garden grown onion and tomato, pinto beans, turnip greens with the turnips, and cornbread. I can't recall any meat during the meal!

My dad was all about the poke salad since he grew up during the Great Depression. As you all know, poke salad is actually poisonous unless its boiled three times (and then there are trace amounts of toxins). My dad tried to speed up this process by cooking them in a pressure cooker. This worked fine until one day the cooker blew the seal and exploded. Fortunately nobody was near the cooker at the time, but the kitchen was splattered with poke salad in much the Jackson Pollock style.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/05/05 15:03:54
quote:

I've got a recipe for corndogs ala' STP if anyone wants it. Also smoked beef via blown compression rings ala' shot muffler. Anyone care for steamed shrimp "Pontiac" ?? Steamed to perfection via blown head gasket.
Ahh, the wonderful odor of fresh hydrocarbons cooking! One of my best Friends, now deceased, would always fire up his pit with a cup of deisel fuel. Somehow, his pork ribs, briskets, and baked beans were wondermous when done.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/05/05 15:13:33
quote:
Originally posted by Grillmeister

That's the way we ate as well, even in the middle of Suburbia! Summer meals at my grandmothers consisted of garden grown onion and tomato, pinto beans, turnip greens with the turnips, and cornbread. I can't recall any meat during the meal!

My dad was all about the poke salad since he grew up during the Great Depression. As you all know, poke salad is actually poisonous unless its boiled three times (and then there are trace amounts of toxins). My dad tried to speed up this process by cooking them in a pressure cooker. This worked fine until one day the cooker blew the seal and exploded. Fortunately nobody was near the cooker at the time, but the kitchen was splattered with poke salad in much the Jackson Pollock style.
If I didn't live on the Gulf Coast I'd still be eating that way. As it was, Dad eventually built a boat, and seafood came more and more into our kitchen. He then bought a shrimp boat, and we learned far more than we wanted to know about living off the sea. Now I vary between "soul food", Cajun, Mexican, and whatever else I get hungry for.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Cabbage, Collards, Turnips, Mustards, Kale 2007/05/08 19:46:47
I just bought a smoked pork shoulder with the huge bone in. I started to give the bone with the ham on it to my dingo dog. I decided against it and bought some fresh collards. I shredded them sans stems, added some onions, huge ham bone, a sliced jalapeno, some salt and pepper and some beef broth.

I let it cook about three hours until very tender and had some Tennessee fried cornbread with it.

A very pleasant evening. My dingo dog would not touch the bone due to the jalapeno seasoning.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial