Firearm lovers.

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 18 of 21, messages 1021 to 1080 of 1253
Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17855
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 06/13/13 8:24 PM
The Scout was a Jeff Cooper idea, and it's a great one. The Model 77 is a terrific rifle. I used one in 30.06 to take a very nice caribou.

I think I hate you. Maybe it's just envy.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15076
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 06/13/13 8:57 PM
hey Uncle Groucho, There's a big auction in Salem Saturday morning. I won't be able to make it , but they have some fine stuff on the list.

Uncle Groucho
  • Total Posts : 207
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 06/13/13 10:00 PM
Hi Al , I have not been to an auction in a couple years , I have to work all day Saturday so I can have off on Fathers Day.

P.S. Sunday is ugly tie day at Graeters  1 ugly tie = 1 free scoop.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 06/14/13 10:08 AM
I saw that... I have some very ugly ties that could earn extra points !!!

I am shooting some inventory photos to update my insurance records. Will post a couple shortly.

<message edited by mayor al on Fri, 06/14/13 10:11 AM>

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 06/14/13 11:22 AM
OK, The Mayor's Shooting gallery as of today.

The semi-auto's-
Left column bottom
S&W 22A
Para 14-40 compact
Para Expert 45acp
Para 16-40
Center
Tokarev TT33
Taurus 45acp
Regent 2000 45acp
Springfield LongSlide
Right side
Kimber Custom
Charles Daly
LLAMA

Revolvers
Uberti SAA clone 357 mag
Ruger Blackhawk 357 mag
Ruger Super Blackhawk 33 magnum
center-
1929 Colt Police Positive 38 Sp
Taurus 44 Spl
Taurus 22LR Tracker
Right side
Taurus 44 magnum
Taurus 22 LR
Charter Bulldog 44 SP
Taurus 38 sp.
When I get time I will arrange a photo of the long guns.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sat, 06/15/13 6:37 AM
I'm glad to see this back open.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sat, 06/15/13 11:11 AM
Me too.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sat, 06/15/13 11:56 AM
Mike and MH,
If we can keep the thread on subject it will remain...any leaning towards the political posts will cause an immediate lock-up again.

I have been working on zeroing that Ruger Scout 308. It is a fine rifle. The 338 Win Mag is a bit more gun than I have handled in the past. I don't know if it will be a keeper or not. If we sign up to take a Bison this Fall, it should be the weapon of choice...but that decision has yet to be made..

I have a brand new Browning A Bolt 308, that I just sold on layaway for a guy in Virginia. I have never used the BOSS muzzle-control system on a rifle. The Browning has it. I have asked the buyer to do a review for me when he gets the gun.

Meantime the deer have returned to chow-down on Janets strawberry beds. Their lives are in jeopardy
<message edited by mayor al on Sat, 06/15/13 12:03 PM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sat, 06/15/13 12:16 PM
lleechef and I have been watching a forkhorn, a six-point and a doe walking around the front yard enjoying some of the foliage. lleechef's probably going to be using a scoped Horton crossbow come fall to put some of that visiting venison in the freezer.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 06/16/13 8:53 PM
Al - My vote is for YES on the bison.  I love the taste of bison.

MH - I bet she could give you a run for your money. let her kill them now and save the strawberry patch, Im sure she could make you some fine strawberry dishes and maybe even some great venison too.

Al - How do you like the Tokarev TT33??  I have shot a friend's several times and to me it just doesnt feel right, like the "fit" to my hand is off.  That Taurus 44 mag is sweet

eruby
  • Total Posts : 587
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 06/18/13 7:24 AM
Very glad to see this open.

I'm scrambling to get a bunch of purchases in before Oct 1 of this year.  I bought a polymer AR 15 lower from JoeBob's Outfitters (a quality organization, DON'T hesitate to order from them) for $150 and they were on sale last week for $134.  The only glitch was waiting 75 days to pick it up from my FFL (pm me if you want to know, no political stuff here).

I have a DPMS complete upper on order from RGuns.  While it seems they have little or no customer service, if you can wait 4 months to get your stuff, the prices are good ($400 for a complete upper, ready to be pinned on the lower).  That will be my starter $550 AR.

I'm looking to get a used Colt AR, hopefully the LE6920.  Not sure if I'll be able to find what I want and take possesion by Oct 1 though.

Ammo has been somewhat more available in Maryland, though it's still catch as catch can.  Online prices have gotten much better, though sometimes there is a back-order wait to receive what you but.

Good shooting all!

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 06/18/13 7:58 AM
CajunKing

MH - I bet she could give you a run for your money. let her kill them now and save the strawberry patch, Im sure she could make you some fine strawberry dishes and maybe even some great venison too.

That'll have to wait till it's legal. They sort of frown on deer poaching here. As to the strawberry patch, it's not ours. She picked them at a nearby farm.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 06/18/13 10:15 AM
Don
  The Tokarev TT33 was produced in the Soviet Union in 1940. It is not one of the Clones made in China or the European Warsaw pact countries guns.  I bought it from our 'houseboy' in RVN just before I left the country in 1962. I often wonder about it's history and how it srvived WW II and the years between 1940 and 1962.  It is my one and only war trophy of the 1960's.  I do shoot it now and then, but it is more of a display gun than most ofmycollection.

MH  About the poaching. We filed a claim with the DNR about damages to our garden and 50 fruit trees by crows and deer. As a result, we can 'protect our crops' should the animals come in to damage us again....and the crows are hitting the immature fruit pretty hard.  I am going to start using a 20 ga. birdshot gun to scare/shoot the birds, but leave the few deer we are seeing alone at this time.
ERuby- still hard to find many calibers of ammo here, lots of griping but no real solutions in the wind.
<message edited by mayor al on Tue, 06/18/13 10:17 AM>

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 06/18/13 10:25 AM
Al  Fireworks are cheaper to scare off crows and 20 gauge and works just as well.  I had about 30 buzzards that had chose my property to roost and they were making a stinking mess.  All it took for them to make a decision to find another place was about 3-4 large bottle rockets.  Vamoose they did.

Also at many gun shows, some vendors have fireworks similar to M-80's.  I bought a bunch and they are extremely loud.  They came not fused but the sold fuse.  I just punched a small hole in the container, inserted the fuse and got away.  More like a cherry bomb.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 06/18/13 11:11 AM
We have been using Bottle Rockets effectively for several years...this year the crows are ignoring them for the first time. I figure a couple of dead crows will re-instill the fear of loud noises. I don't anticipate shooting a deer before the season begins.

CajunKing
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 06/18/13 5:55 PM
Al - the tokarev that Shane has is one of the clones, it is solid, but with big hands it just doesnt fit or feel right.

Was supposed to go to the "farm" today (a friends spread he owns and co owns about 1000 aces in ohio and switzerland counties) and catch lots of fish and shoot some but it has been raining and now thunderstorms so i will sit on the front porch and scare the neighbors cat with some bottle rockets. 

CajunKing
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 06/18/13 6:02 PM
I have been looking at an H&K P30 .40s&w
It is a nice compact gun with good pop.  I don't like the fact there is no manual safety. (which if it were just me in the house would be ok, but when the son is here)(he is that age ya know).

What do my experts think??

eruby
Re:Firearm lovers. - Wed, 06/19/13 7:56 AM
CajunKing

I have been looking at an H&K P30 .40s&w
It is a nice compact gun with good pop.  I don't like the fact there is no manual safety. (which if it were just me in the house would be ok, but when the son is here)(he is that age ya know).

What do my experts think??
I don't think a manual safety will make much difference. If your son is going to get to the gun, a manual safety may not prevent a discharge.  I'd go with a bore-lock, or biometric safe.

The H&K is an excellent gun and you surely won't be dissapointed.

I have both a Glock 19 and 23 (9mm and .40) and while some lament the 'no safety' of a Glock, the MOST important bit of advice I ever heard was "keep your booger hook off the bang switch".   The only safety on a Glock is the one between your eyes, but I do understand that many like the additional external safeties on some guns.

CajunKing
Re:Firearm lovers. - Wed, 06/19/13 3:43 PM
I do have trigger locks and barrel locks on all weapons in the house, I even keep the bolts and pins separate from the long guns too. (something grandpa always did)

I like the H&K because the grips can be interchanged to fin the one that fits my big paw better.  Of course changing the grips is not easy with H&K (like it is with many other hand guns) but with a punch and hammer you just pop out the roll pin and interchange them and pop the pin back in and you are set.

The H&K is small enough to be discreet, yet powerful enough to get things done.

I have never been impressed with .9mm, there just isnt enough pop to them.  I was doing a ride along with a county sheriff's deputy who was called to put down an injured deer.  He pulled his glock 19 - pow and all I heard was YOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

The round bounced off the deer's skull and embedded into my friend's right foot.  I was trying so hard not to laugh at his pain, but he kept cursing the deer, cursing his .9mm, and hobbling around like a little old woman.  I had to call into dispatch and ask for an ambulance and supervisor, when asked what for, I simply replied "the deer didnt go quietly".

We still all get a laugh about it now and then.

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Firearm lovers. - Wed, 07/3/13 10:42 AM
Good buy over at Woot.com today if you are looking for a great air rifle. I have the Varment Hunter and for plinking and small game it is accurate and very powerful. 1250 fps with the good pellets....Russ

http://sport.woot.com/plus/gamo-refurbished-air-rifles-4

eruby
Re:Firearm lovers. - Wed, 07/10/13 10:05 AM
My quest for the $550 AR took a turn for the better on July 3rd.

I had an order in to RGUNS for a DPMS complete upper (the A3 light) which was $419 (399 + 20 shipping).  The problem is they don't ship for 4 or 5 months and they have extremely poor communication.

On July 3rd, I got the Palmetto State Armory sale email and they had a complete upper for $399 and shipping was only $15.  It's a carbine length system (as was the DPMS), and the barrel has the cut out for the grenade launcher, where the DPMS was a straight barrel.  PSA should ship in 12 - 15 businees days.  So hopefully, my $550 AR with the New Frontier poly lower and the PSA upper will be just around the corner.

Still deciding on another handgun or two (or more) before 10/1/13 as I don't cotton to having to get fingerprinted and pay $50 for a license to buy a handgun.

I had been a bit worried about cancelling the RGUNS orderas I read some horror stories, but they responded to my email that order was canceled and no cancel fees have shown on the credit card.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 07/14/13 5:02 AM
Sounds like you made a wise decision to go with the Palmetto offer.

Is your Octoberr deadline some new Maryland thing? I wasn't aware of a nationwide change??

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 07/14/13 11:56 AM
It's a Maryland thing.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 07/16/13 1:04 AM
Looks like  Jan and I  and one of our grandson's will head back over to Missouri for another round of Hog and (maybe) Elk hunting. They are running a special to fill in some empty days in the schedule. at the end of this month..and we are looking forward to another good time in the woods.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1792
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 07/23/13 4:07 PM
Once you have wild boar, factory farm pig just tastes flat.  Boar is some pretty prime eating.  Same thing for elk.  Elk is the way beef is supposed to taste.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 07/23/13 6:20 PM
We leave Sunday for the Ranch in Missouri. Hunting Monday and Tuesday, then leaving Wed Morning after breakfast at the camp. We hope to take 3 large Russian or Razorback Sows. The Ranch does all the butchering and processing into butcher paper wrapped store-like cuts. This time we will have much more of the meat ground into their wonderful sausage, as we consumed a lot from last year by late winter. I will have four of the shoulders, the ribs and loins done, but we won't do All the belly-meat into Bacon like we tried last year.  Add in the Jowel meat and the Heart/Liver/Tounge for dog food and we will have a load to carry.
Last year our total take was 460 lbs of finished meat, 2 Hogs and a large Whitetail Doe/ This year we shoyuld increase the net weight !!
I hope to do a better job of the photo record of this years hunt and the surroundings in Missouri.
Michael H- Looks like a Waffle House breakfast in Rolla for us Monday morning after our late night ride over from here.

Uncle Groucho
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 07/23/13 6:40 PM
Good luck or break a leg ? I have a half empty freezer I could RENT out.... but really , that sounds like a lot , how much freezer space will that consume?

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Tue, 07/23/13 8:35 PM
Uncle Groucho  check your P M. I have a question for you.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Wed, 07/24/13 1:50 PM
Mr. Mayor, you guys have a great time, and a great hunt. A Waffle House breakfast? I didn't know they served breakfast. Be sure to have a nice dinner at that Steakhouse down the hill from the Waffle House.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 07/28/13 10:35 AM
Sunday.. we leave tonight for an interesting Hog Hunt in Missouri. Janet and I and our 16 yr old Grandson, Chris. He is a capable hunter and will assist me in moving around as needed on this trip.
We carefully zero'd the 44 magnum carbine with Janet, so she is as ready as  she can be.  Chris decided to share the use of my Ruger Gunsite  Scout .308 rifle.  Both guns are quite capable of putting down a hog at a reasonable distance.
   The weather may be an issue. After a week of pleasant dry weather (including today) the forecast for southcentral Missouri is for showers and on/off Thunderstorms on Monday (40%) and more on Tuesday (70%) then clearing in time for our ride home on Wednesday.  We have our mud gear ready and will do our best to get the job done, rain or shine.
    Our new chest freezer will be delivered tomorrow morning...Great timing , ehhh! It will give us 25 cu.ft. of additional space. My neighbor will supervise the installation of this device and have it ready for the meat we are bringing home from Missouri. We have a 21 cu ft upright in the house, but it is almost full of grocery stuff and veggies and fruit from our trees and garden. So the new one will receive the results of this expedition.

I will be carrying my 44 mag revolver in the crossdraw rig I bought a few monthes ago. I probably won't need to use it, but it is a 'back-up' for the long-guns.  I had hoped to do a detailed photo journal of the trip, but am concerned about the weather's effect...so wish us well, and watch for the results about this time next week.
   A special thanks to Uncle Groucho for the offer of temporary freezer space a week ago.  We weren't sure our new one would arrive in time to handle the incoming pork...but it seems to have worked out right for us this time.

Uncle Groucho
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 07/28/13 4:23 PM
If you cant shut the door , give me a call.
Stay out of the poison ivy , I wish I did last week , worst case I ever had!

CajunKing
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 07/28/13 5:19 PM
If you can't reach Groucho call me I have LOTS of space in my freezer.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 07/28/13 6:45 PM
Heck, call me. I'll buy a new freezer.

Uncle Groucho
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 07/28/13 9:37 PM
I was kinda sorta hoping on lowes being behind schedule....

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
Re:Firearm lovers. - Mon, 07/29/13 10:42 AM
Mr Mayor,  thanks for reopening this thread; I love reading it.  be sure and post some hunt pics if you can.   I have never been on a hog hunt, but am thinking about it someday soon.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 08/1/13 4:21 PM
OK  My Hunting Report for this trip-

Wow, we had a great time. We fit this 3 day-2 night Hog Hunt into a time slot just before the start of school for my Grandson Chris. Even with a mixed bag of rain and clouds we enoyed enough dry weather to get our quota of three large Hogs.... and make plans to return this winter for a Bison.
We left at Midnight Sunday nite, It is a 6 hour ride over to the Rolla, Missouri area to the 'Ranch' using I-64 and I-44 for 95% of the ride. The Ranch is in the rural area south of Rolla about 20 miles.
Out of respect for Mr Hoffman , we selected the Rolla Waffle House for our breakfast before going into the ranch.
Here is my meager meal. Pork chops, Eggs, Xtra Crispy Hash Browns and some Raisin Toast.

The Ranch Breakfasts were a bit lighter--by choice-- but outstanding quality thats for sure...

After settling in and getting the paperwork completed, Our guide headed us out into the hunting ground. Chris got the first hog, a 300 lb Feral Sow with one shot from my Ruger GSR 308. We were using Remington 180 grain SP ammo. it was about a 40 yard shot.

After a short hike in the woods, Janet shot her Hog, A 275 lb Russian sow. The Ruger 77/44 worked great. One shot of 240 grain SJSP Mag-tech ammo did it in.

Then it was lunch time ! After Lunch and a bit of a break,

Jason (the guide) took Chris for a walk in the woods to find a third hog. He did just that. Number three turned out to be a big hog...weighing in at just over 450 lbs. They passed by several groups of Hogs like the ones we took that morning, to wait for a larger one to give Chris his bragging rights !!  Chris nailed it with a head shot at just 30 yards. Here are the photos, notice the remains of the 308 bullet they dug out of the neck for him. here is Chris with the big hog, then one of the guides doing the butchering .

We spent a lot of time cruising the ranch photographing the various animals. This time of year many of them are in the 'Maternity Ward' and we saw lots of babies hidden in the grass all over the place. It was quite different last year. We visited in late September and the rut was on and the babies were all on their feet and on the move.

Young Bucks--

I can't say enough about this place as a combination vacation and hunting location. we feel it is well worth the $2200 we paid for this trip. My grandson has fantastic bragging rights with his friends at school and we have a freezer full of store-quality pork for the winter. PLUS, We had three fantastic days of relaxing and watching hundreds of animals at our doorstep.
<message edited by mayor al on Thu, 08/1/13 4:53 PM>

Uncle Groucho
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 08/1/13 5:13 PM
Wow, that was some haul. 450 is a Big Boy! How many lbs after all said and done.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 08/1/13 5:54 PM
Very, very nice! Y'all done good. I love that Scout Rifle. And the Meat-Lovers pork chop  breakfast, too.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 08/1/13 6:19 PM
I know you guys really enjoy this place! Great hunting-more breakfast sausage, I hope!

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 08/1/13 8:21 PM
Karl
After subtraction the waste, and the weight of the empty coolers--5 of them-- we loaded the new freezer with just over 480 lbs of cut and wrapped pork. We have 95 tubes (2 lbs each) of the great sausage.

Here is the finished product in the freezer..minus a cooler full that went home with Chris.

We had them save the Heart, Liver, and Tongue from each to be cooked and used for dog-food for the Scotties.
    Jan and I have decided to return in February or about then to take a Bison for meat and for the hide. My neighbor tans hides to make blanket/quilts, and Mocassins. We hope to make use of his talent to get a full-sized Buffalo 'Cover'.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 08/1/13 8:49 PM
Dog food? Al, boar liver is my favorite liver in the world.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Thu, 08/1/13 11:49 PM
Sorry Michael,  Calf/Beef/Chicken, all those livers I will eat. BUT not Pork Liver.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 11:01 AM
I love them all. And don't forget venison liver.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 11:22 AM
Just a few feet (50) off our front deck we watched this new-born hidden in the grass while it's Mother kept watch from a short distance away. 

<message edited by mayor al on Fri, 08/2/13 11:40 AM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 11:33 AM
Neat! Here we have a six-point, two four-points and a couple of does emptying the bird feeder that's about ten feet from our front door. They show up mornings and afternoons. Additionally, there's Lisa's little family of skunks, Pepe and Mrs. Le Pew and their little Le Pew; Blackie the Kitten and her/his mother, Smokey; assorted raccoons and a gazillion birds, ranging from hairy woodpeckers to goldfinches.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 11:45 AM
Michael,
Interesting point about small critters...  We saw several Grey Squirrels, but NO raccoons, skunks, possums, woodchucks, or other small animals (and no coyotes either). Lots of birds, ducks, hawks and of course the big animals.
We wondered about the lack of small ones, especially with the feed corn being left out on the ground daily.
Here's another odd relative of the Buffalo-

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 11:59 AM
It looks like a muskox with Viking horns.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 2:14 PM
Musk Ox has the hard knot of brain protector on it's forehead. This one has a more Bison or Beef Cow shaped head???

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 2:24 PM
On the other hand, it could be a water buffalo wearing a coat.

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 4:49 PM
Mr. Mayor, thanks for posting those pics; I really enjoyed them.  I have to go do this hunt one of these days,  it's only a couple hours away from home.   I wish I still had some of my old rifles for a hunt like this, I had a semi auto Winchester .308 that would have been great.  Only thing I have left now that's suitable is a Belgian -made Browning .30-06 bolt action.  Still would work fine for hogs and any antlered game.  
Most of my hunting nowadays is for upland birds, and I've fallen in love with using good quality O/U shotguns, like Browning Citori's, which aren't that cheap. 

Man I bet that is good quality lean sausage, too.  Do they season it up for you, or is it just ground pork and you add your own seasonings as you use it?

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 6:55 PM
Grillman,
The only other hunters in the camp at the same time we were there was a father/son team. They both used bolt-action 30-06's and did quite well with them. I have a new Ruger Model 77, It looks just like the 77/44 Janet used, only it is quite a bit larger...in .338 Win. Magnum. I am thinking seriously of using it for the Bison Hunt this winter.
  The sausage is spiced just right. It is much leaner than the Jimmy Dean or Purnell we were buying in the markets. it is NOT just ground Pork ! They package it in 2 lb tubes. The three different packages you see in the photo are to identify which Hog they came from...1, 2, or 3. Included in the hunt cost is the total processing of the meat, cut to our specs and vacuum sealed and frozen.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13405
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 7:45 PM
That is a lot of sausage.  Great job Mayor with your Grandson.  That type of experience cannot be bought for any amount of money.

Paul E. smith
Knoxville, TN

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6259
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 7:50 PM
Let's not forget "Sharpshooter Woman of the Year" .............Janet!!! 

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Fri, 08/2/13 9:13 PM
Janet was a bit concerned about her skills after a couple of disappointing rounds with targets here at home last week.  But her last 'zeroing session' with the Ruger she settled down and scored nice tight groups. That restored her confidence, then she did the one-shot kill on her Hog and felt like she was on top again.  It was a good day for her also.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 08/4/13 8:25 AM
Today I will part with my Anthony Zoli 12 gauge O/U Shotgun. I have had this gun listed for over 4 months on Armslist, and finally have a buyer.  It is a good deal for both of us.  I am sorry to see this beautiful gun leave, but the income will pay for half of the Hog Hunt we just enjoyed.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 08/11/13 1:25 AM
OK, Hunter's ,  I need assistance in making a decision.  Here's the question.

We are going to return to the Game Ranch for a BISON this Winter. Probably in February. The animal we want will be a "Meat Animal", rather than a "Trophy Animal"... Weighing in between 750 and 900 lbs (on the hoof). Probably a 100 yard maximum shot.

I have three possible rifles to use for this shot.
1. Janet's Ruger 77/44  (44 magnum) with it's 240 grain SJSP ammo.
2. My Ruger GSR .308, but up the ammo to 200 grain SP from the 180 grain we used on the hogs.
OR
3. MY New Ruger Model 77 in 338 Win Mag with some 225 grain or 250 grain Rem. SP ammo.  I have not yet fired this new rifle, so training would have to begin soon. Also, Are we thinking "overkill" with the 338 or with the heavy rounds?  Can the 308 do the job??? It would be my first choice--all other things being equal.

Uncle Groucho
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 08/11/13 1:39 AM
GO BIG or GO HOME , why chance it. Get that sucker sighted in and let it do the rest. You still have time to make up your mind.
So how was that sausage?....
Karl

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 08/11/13 2:11 AM
Karl,  Sometime soon stop over here in the Knobs and pick up a sample.  It is very good sausage.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Firearm lovers. - Sun, 08/11/13 12:06 PM
Either the .308 or the .338. On he other hand, wanna borrow my .460 S&W Magnum revolver? Just get it back before our gun season for deer opens the Monday after Thanksgiving.

mayor al
Re:Firearm lovers. - Mon, 08/12/13 4:01 PM
We have decided on the Ruger 338 Win Mag, with a back-up of the Ruger GSR .308.  The .338 with a Nosler 250 gr SP should do the job with good shot placement

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 18 of 21, messages 1021 to 1080 of 1253