Helpful ReplyHot!Firearm lovers.

Page: << < ..2122 Showing page 22 of 22
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/05/03 14:54:02
Hmm That mailbox would draw some attention around here, 'fer sure' !
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/05/03 15:09:13
I suppose the mailbox itself serves as a warning for would-be thieves. One thing for sure is it would have presented a challenge to my cadre of early-teens lunatics of 50 years ago.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/06/09 21:02:01
My daughter and I finally wore out my 35 yr. old Crossman Air Rifle. Does anybody here use air rifles ? I am looking for something in the $200 +/- range. I live close to Bass Pro Shop and I was thinking about a Gamo. I would like to get one in .177 and at least 1000 fps . I welcome all feedback. If you know of an online shop that can beat Bass Pro please let me know. My daughter is 8yrs. old and she is Excelling in school and in archery, she loves to shoot with me and I want to keep her interested as long as possible. thank you. Karl
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/06/09 21:14:27
I have a Gamo Varmint Hunter in .177. Fantastically accurate, and it has put a number of squirrels in the skillet, and has been handy for groundhogs and raccoons.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/06/09 21:24:54
That is the one I was looking at , thank you Michael. Racoons and Whistle Pigs ? I'll check it out this weekend.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/06/09 22:28:22
Yep. Raccoons and whistlepigs. I didn't know anyone was still calling them whistlepigs. I bought the Gamo originally because I was bothered by raccoons and whistlepigs.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/06/10 19:56:49
Fathers Day came early for me , my Wife and Daughter went to Bass Pro and bought me the last Gamo Varmint Hunter Hp in stock. I cant believe how much power it has , it was able to penetrate into a steel drum i use as a burn barrel. Thank you Michael for recommending it. If it wasn't raining out I wouldn't be typing this.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/06/10 20:19:40
That's great. I'm glad you got it and that you like it. It is powerful.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/04 21:19:08
One of my daughters, whose husband is a avid hunter, has taken to the outdoor life actively during their dating years, and marriage now two years ago.  This past weekend, I was visiting and discussing how I could help them with finishing off their basement; and she asked about some of my dad's guns.....she wanted something to remember her grandpa by.    Touched my heart.   We agreed upon the shotgun that my grandpa gave to my dad for his high school graduation back in the 50's; a 12 gauge Winchester pump.  That will be proudly displayed next to the fireplace in the newly finished basement with the duck decoys, pheasant mounts, etc.  The Winchester is very operational; but I haven't shot it in years; it's been regulated to the back of the safe in favor of the Brownings.   Still; a family heirloom and a nice thing to remember Dad by.  

My treasured Brownings; all eight of them; will be passed along the same way when I'm done with them.  
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/05 00:40:43
We are building a Turkey gun for my hunter-grandson out of parts he is finding for a Mossberg of mine. It never ceases to amaze me how those "pieced together hand me downs'" seem to mean a lot to the kids.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/10 22:56:33
For Christmas 2013 I bought myself a 10mm AR, it uses DDLES lower designed for Glock magazines. It goes nicely with my 10mm handguns.

I need to figure out how to post pics...
post edited by MikeS. - 2014/08/10 22:58:59

Attached Image(s)

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/10 23:00:20
You can ignore the truck...
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/11 07:05:47
Very nice MikeS.  Is that an NFA silencer (nod to Hiram Maxim)?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/11 11:47:35
MikeS.
For Christmas 2013 I bought myself a 10mm AR, it uses DDLES lower designed for Glock magazines. It goes nicely with my 10mm handguns.

Nice.
Michael Stern
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/11 17:23:39
MikeS.

I used to have one of those. It was tons of fun, especially since I somehow inherited a heap of 10mm components and reloaded 1000s of rounds. Alas, I lost it as part of my catch-and-release program.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/11 18:23:46
Is one of those still legal in Connecticut?
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/08/12 07:51:47
Michael Hoffman
Is one of those still legal in Connecticut?

Mr. Stern can answer more definitely, but it's my understanding if you owned that rifle by 4/3/2013, you are okay, but must have registered it by 1/1/2014, and if you possesed magazines > 10 rounds, you had to have had them (or ordered them) by 4/3/2013 and register them by 1/1/2014.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/23 13:47:05
After a busy couple of months I'll bring this thread back to life. Haven't had much camera time recently. I have switched a good amount of my focus from the big auctions in Indy, to local deals and trading activity that is based in Facebook and to a lessor degree on Armslist.
Recent acquistions- some for cash and some for trades of items I had here...

1. Pride of my Armory- a Springfield M1A National Match rifle, caliber .308, 2-ten rd mags, 1-twenty rd mag, Pristine condition still has some of the cosmolene in it. SS Match Barrel, 2 stage Trigger. Price was Two of my better 1911's, but I was pleased with the deal.

2. Mossberg MVP Varmit Predator Rifle in caliber ,223, 3x9x40 Nikon scope , Bipod, 24" Fluted SS barrel, Accu-trigger, 1-ten rd and 2 20 rd mags. 250 rds FMJ ammo.

3. Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem. Magnum 3x9x40 Leopold scope, Hogue green rubber stock.

4. Two Taurus 38 Special Snubby Revolvers- 5 shot, pre Model 85's  One blue  one nickel

5. Taurus 840 pistol in 40 S& W with 2 extra mags NIB

a couple of others pending   but not committed.  Big auction coming in November  but I may pass it by. Not the time to tie up a lot of money right now.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/23 14:28:54
You got the Predator? You sneaky (lucky) dog. All I can say is, your whistlepigs and raccoons better look out.

By the way, did you see the article on the MVP in American Rifleman?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/25 11:47:31
Michael- I thought the Predator was the 'carbine' version of the MVP rifle with the box mags., but apparently they are spreading the name to cover that whole line.  My rifle is definitely not a light weight carbine.  It comes under the Varmit  Heading, with the bench rest stock and bipod attached (can be removed). Whereas  the regular carbine is quite a bit more portable.
This is what I have. I traded the Stevens O/U 20 gauge for this  Both guns in New Condition.!

Mossberg & Sons | 27726

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/25 12:08:10
As I recall, the carbine is the Patrol.
tmiles
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/25 18:04:09
mayor al Not the time to tie up a lot of money right now.

I recall reading fairly recently that "the right" firearms have been a good investment over the past 20 or 30 years, and short term too. Prices at "legitimate" auctions point to investments in "collector" guns, (like your new pride????) rather than guns in general. Like art and coins, you have to know what you are doing, or trust a pro. CD's don't seem to be a good place to tie up money either.
 When I was young, my Dad made a few bucks buying and selling ordinary guns, and later buying and selling old trucks and Model A Fords. It takes a lot of time, and eventually he tired of spending Saturday mornings with "tire kickers, dreamers, and shysters". It is probably more fun when it's a hobby. 
post edited by tmiles - 2014/09/25 18:08:43
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/25 20:34:09
stevep
Yeah, As odd as it may sound for someone who is retired and is wandering around the yard a lot..I don't want to spend a whole day in the auction house making that sort of investment, then work at bailing myself out over the next few monthes.  It was fun for awhile, but tends to get repetitive and I've had enough of the big time buying.  However To bid and buy one or two "just for me" that's still a possibility.  

Sorry about the misquote above... I was assisting Steve with another problem and made this entry while still in his account.    This is the Mayor's comment. 
al
tmiles
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/30 14:06:25
From hints on this thread, I've made it to the Henry web site. They seem to have a nice, pump action (gallery) .22. I learned to shoot on a .22 Remington, originally bought for Mom, but Dad never replaced it when it was stolen. I've been looking for a used, gallery, Remington, but the ones that I have seen have been junk. For about twice the money of the junk , I can buy a new Henry. It looks like a nice, quality, rifle that can be passed down through the generations for cheap firearm training. My local Dick's can get one, but it is not in stock, and I hesitate to buy a "pig in a poke". Do any other posters have one? Can you mix longs and shorts in the tube magazine like the Remington?
BTW, if you see a rifle with "MILES" branded into the stock, I'd appreciate it if you notified local law enforcement.........
post edited by tmiles - 2014/09/30 14:19:18
tmiles
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/30 14:31:29
A mortar looks like an almost vertical pipe that mortar shells are dropped into from the top. The shells drop to the bottom, hits the firing pin, and shoots back out the top of the "pipe".

They are fun to shoot as a team. (the gunners don't see the target, and aim based on info from a forward observer) They are a hoot to fire in the seldom practiced direct fire mode, where one guy drops rounds, and the other adjusts the barrel by hand, based on direct sight. (like the WW II Japanese "knee mortar", which was actually NOT fired from the knee.)

For the last few weeks an ISIS mortar gunner is shown in a short clip that I must have seen 100 times on the news. He drops the round, but does not move his hand out of the way, correctly. I hope that he has blown his hand off by now.  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/09/30 14:54:00
tmiles
From hints on this thread, I've made it to the Henry web site. They seem to have a nice, pump action (gallery) .22. I learned to shoot on a .22 Remington, originally bought for Mom, but Dad never replaced it when it was stolen. I've been looking for a used, gallery, Remington, but the ones that I have seen have been junk. For about twice the money of the junk , I can buy a new Henry. It looks like a nice, quality, rifle that can be passed down through the generations for cheap firearm training. My local Dick's can get one, but it is not in stock, and I hesitate to buy a "pig in a poke". Do any other posters have one? Can you mix longs and shorts in the tube magazine like the Remington?
BTW, if you see a rifle with "MILES" branded into the stock, I'd appreciate it if you notified local law enforcement.........

The Henry you're talking about takes Long Rifle, Long, Short and .22 Magnum.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/01 14:07:09
Michael Stern
MikeS.

I used to have one of those. It was tons of fun, especially since I somehow inherited a heap of 10mm components and reloaded 1000s of rounds. Alas, I lost it as part of my catch-and-release program.

Michael, I recognize that Mech-Tech carbine. I have one of those as well in 10mm, but I plan on putting it up for sale. I'll take the money from that sale and put it towards a .45acp upper to go with my 10mm upper. They both can share the same lower.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/01 14:12:47
Last month I bought two new to me revolvers. The first one is a Smith and Wesson model 27–2 with a 4 inch barrel.

The other new one is a Smith & Wesson model 686+, a seven shot .357 magnum. I don't have a picture of that one yet.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/01 14:21:13
eruby

Why yes it is, it is a.45 caliber silencer. Being a 45 it is very versatile, I can use it on my Glock 17, 19, 20 and 21, my Marlin Camp 45 and my 10mm AR as shown.

I really believe silencers should be taken off/out of the NFA. They are a great safety device for preserving your hearing as well as the people and critters around you.
tmiles
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/01 18:54:53
I'm reading a book where guns play a bit role. I was a decent shot with a .45, and almost good with the 9mm, but always at short range. In the book a guy uses a chart to figure the drop at 300 and 400 yds (something that I never even considered).

He points out that if you aim high enough, a .45 or 9mm is actually fairly accurate at that range. The key is knowing how high to aim. At 400 yds with his pistol it was 6ft high. I'd have never guessed. I've done an M-14 at 1000yds, and the drop was only a few inches...........(about 2 ft less than my "group")
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/01 19:26:56
Well, considering that a .45 ACP will drop some 18 inches at 100 yards when fired from a five-inch barrel that's not far off. But one would have to be an idiot to consider even trying such a shot.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/02 07:18:44
MikeS.
eruby

Why yes it is, it is a.45 caliber silencer. Being a 45 it is very versatile, I can use it on my Glock 17, 19, 20 and 21, my Marlin Camp 45 and my 10mm AR as shown.

I really believe silencers should be taken off/out of the NFA. They are a great safety device for preserving your hearing as well as the people and critters around you.

Agree 100% 

tmiles
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/03 10:04:30
I "knew" that self protection ammo was in short supply, but when I went to buy some .22 ammo I found that it is harder to get than "deer" ammo.

Dad taught me to fire and be safe from a young age, but the Boy Scouts taught me to SHOOT with a single shot .22 , "short" ammo, and a 100 ft range. I came in thinking that being able to hit a beer can was good, and left knowing what a "group" was, and that at 100ft it had better be very small. It was where I first found that bullets drop, and how to adjust a site. The Marines made me a better shot,,,,,,,,,,,an excellent shot by most standards, but average by military standards.

So I was looking for copper plated shorts, and found that I should buy whatever comes in. The clerk said that Dick's "carries" a lot of different types and prices, but whenever "any" .22 comes in, it is gone in a day or two. He thinks that folks are buying to beat a price increase.

The good news is that 5mm Remington ammo is being made again, offshore, and is "often" available. I plan to buy some when it next comes in. I don't fire my 5mm much to conserve the ammo that I have left. It will be fun to blow 50 rounds with some longer range "plinking", and not worry about getting more.
post edited by tmiles - 2014/10/03 16:06:04
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/07 10:00:56
It is indeed a strange turn of events when it is cheaper to shoot 7.62x39mm (AK)ammo than 22LR !!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/07 11:58:06
I'm sure glad I still have a few 500-round cans of Remington .22 LR ammo.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/07 12:49:11
Michael I haven't bought any 22LR for 2 years, and have really been rationing carefully what I used to 'waste' rather sinfully ! I think I still have about 7500 rounds in storage. I don't give boxes to the grandsons anymore, except in payment for yardwork.

Big temptation coming up shortly.  At an upcoming auction one of the single action revolvers Made by the Original Century Arms in Indiana will be sold.  It is a massive western style  gun in 45/70 caliber. I passed over one at another auction a year or so ago and have been kicking myself ever since. I want this one the way some guys want a Ferrari

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/07 13:00:25
Wow! You realize, of course, that despite the plow handle it's going to hurt to fire it. Even so, I wouldn't mind firing your Ferrari.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/08 16:29:58
Al, not my thing but if you like it go for it. But then again neither is a Ferrari.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/08 16:30:46
Fortunately I'm still well-stocked on .22LR ammo.
tmiles
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/13 17:54:30
mayor al
Michael I haven't bought any 22LR for 2 years, and have really been rationing carefully what I used to 'waste' rather sinfully ! I think I still have about 7500 rounds in storage. I don't give boxes to the grandsons anymore, except in payment for yardwork.

Big temptation coming up shortly.  At an upcoming auction one of the single action revolvers Made by the Original Century Arms in Indiana will be sold.  It is a massive western style  gun in 45/70 caliber. I passed over one at another auction a year or so ago and have been kicking myself ever since. I want this one the way some guys want a Ferrari

If you bought it, would you actually fire it?? Has it been fired?? A local shop that I go to often has some "used" fire arms that are collectors versions. Most are new, unfired, and often from estates. He also has some that have been fired........they cost less.......but if you buy them you can enjoy shooting them without worry. 
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/14 19:53:03
Ok all you gurus of the shooting irons, I have just received an early installment of my inheritance from my father (no he is not dead, but thought I would like to get my hands on his gun collection).  Most of the guns so far have been the ones he and my grandfather bought and used over the years, nothing too exciting mostly Sears & Monkey Ward .22 rifle and thirty ought six and a 410 and 12 gauge.

Then he handed me three guns I had always seen in my Grandfathers gun safe and in Dad's but NEVER in my life had EVER got to hold them.  There in is the start of my problem.

The first of the two is a muzzle loading shotgun, double barrel, percussion cap.  It is OLD and in need of a good cleaning.  My concern is how hard to "clean" it.  I dismantled it and used compressed air to blow out the YEARS of dust and dirt. 

I know that without getting them scoped I will never be able to shoot them.  I am ok with that for now.

It was some beautiful scroll work on the hammer plate and barrel but it has aged and the patina has obscured most of it.  I did find a date on the under side of the barrel where it is covered by the stock.  March 17, 1824.

Now I am really at a cross roads on what to do and how to proceed.

The other gun is a .50 muzzle loader, musket, octagon barrel, 54 inches long, set up for a right handed person.  It has been WELL used and abused over its life.  The stock was broken some time in the past and expertly repaired by inserting iron dutchmans to hold it together.

The lock was frozen, but after some TLC it decided to suddenly start working again and my thumb has the divots and cuts to prove it (caught my thumb between the percussion nipple and the hammer when it suddenly SNAPPED)

I have not had much luck in dismantling this one though the screw heads have been worn smooth, and my kitchen is not set up to deal with it the way I need it to be.

I will try and take pictures tonight and get them posted on here soon.

I could use you advice on how to proceed.

The third one I know the history and know I will NEVER fire that one.  It is an 1862 breech loading musket with bayonet.  I did research on the mfr, and found out that the gun was going to be produced for the union, but the gun was never put in full production due to a flaw in the breech lock mechanism, so after a few rounds fired from the gun, the breech would explode.

There were only 1250 produced, and most of them are still accounted for.  There was one sell at auction 4 months ago for $1700.  Mine will be hung on the wall, just like it was at Grandpa's house.

Pix to follow
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/16 20:01:23
Ok after two nights of trying to take the pictures and never getting anything that wasnt BLURRY.  I finally had some success.
.50 Caliber, Octagon Barrel, Right Handed, 54 Inch Barrel, Musket

Right Side Musket

Left Side Musket

Inlay Work on Musket

Musket End

Double Barrel Muzzle Loading Shotgun

Right Side Shot Gun

Business End Shot Gun

post edited by CajunKing - 2014/10/16 20:03:43
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/19 01:46:32
Thought you boys would like this story:
Stupid Question... Excellent Answer!

For those that don't know him, Major General Peter Cosgrove is an Australian.
General Cosgrove was interviewed on the radio recently.
Read his reply to the lady who interviewed him concerning guns and children.
Regardless of how you feel about gun laws you have to love this!
This is one of the best comeback lines of all time.

This is a portion of an ABC radio interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters.

FEMALE   INTERVIEWER:
So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL   COSGROVE:
We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE   INTERVIEWER:
Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:
I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE   INTERVIEWER:
Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?  

GENERAL   COSGROVE:
I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE   INTERVIEWER:
But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL   COSGROVE:
Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one, are you?

The broadcast went silent for 46 seconds and when it returned, the interview was over.

I would pay money to have seen her face… 
I bet it would have made lemon juice look like honey.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/19 11:54:55
It's a great story, but unfortunately it never happened. Although it does illustrate something very important.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/reinwald.asp
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Firearm lovers. 2014/10/20 21:01:02
tmiles
mayor al 

If you bought it, would you actually fire it?? Has it been fired?? A local shop that I go to often has some "used" fire arms that are collectors versions. Most are new, unfired, and often from estates. He also has some that have been fired........they cost less.......but if you buy them you can enjoy shooting them without worry. 

I watched the auction on-line to avoid the temptation to bid. The revolver sold for a reasonable $1000 bid, add to that a $270 buyers premium and state tax and $15 transfer fee to the auction FFL, then the shipping and buyers FFL transfer fee which would run about another $60 and you have a total cost of about  $1350.00

The M1a listed, that matched my Nat'l Match rifle, sold for $1800.00 but adding all the fees would have cost the buyer almost $2400.00  The fees at this auction were way out of line. I am glad I passed on participating.
Page: << < ..2122 Showing page 22 of 22