Firearm lovers.

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 21, messages 1 to 60 of 1253
MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
  • Reward points : 0
Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 11:43 AM
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Let's see if we can keep this civil.
UPDATED June 2013-
Off limits are editorial comments on the pro-or-anti firearms movements, legislation-either real or proposed, and case studies of firearms in the news PLEASE.

The purpose here is to allow those who enjoy the recreation of the shooting sports and of hunting for sport or food. Personal or Home Defense are borderline topics, subject to review and removal should the content move into the legal or political arena.   AL

One of my passions have always been firearms. They, bowling and SCUBA have been my sport since I was a teen. I sucked at ball, whatever kind of ball other then bowling. There I can usually break 200, barely.

But I can shoot up a storm and usually hit what I'm aiming at. I own a few guns but I really prefer my handguns. .357 magnum is my favorite but I shoot a lot of .22lr because it's cheap.

For my birthday Tuesday I bought myself a new pistol, a Springfield Armory XD in .45acp with a 4" barrel.

MikeS.
<message edited by mayor al on Thu, 06/13/13 7:23 PM>

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:20 PM
I use to enjoy firearms although I rarely shot them. My father left me a bunch of them and I bought a lot more. Recent events dictated I remove stress from my life and I had my firearms appraised and I am selling about 25 various pieces. Some were very good and some were just average or less.

I got one that I probably will not sell. My dad shot a deer at 450 yards with it. I guess it was a accidental shot as he aimed really high and dropped it in.

I oiled them several years ago and stored them.

Aidios stress.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

rongmtek
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:21 PM
Glad to see a "firearms" post begin with, "Let's keep this civil."
So, I will civilly ask- what does this have to do with ROADFOOD?

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

I gotta agree. Like it or not, guns are a heavily politically charged issue, and are always going to arouse strong sentiments from both sides. So what is the point of inviting more of that on this board? There's a thousand other places on the internet to talk about guns (and religion and politics, etc...). I think we have enough bickering on Roadfood when we talk about FOOD.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:30 PM

This thread appears in the "Off-Topic Forum" with others like the NCAA Basketball Tourney and How to Garden. It is in the right place for this sort of exchange of information. It is indeed 'off-topic'.

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:35 PM
I also love to shoot. I have a 9mm, 38 S&W 2", Ruger Mark 22lr, 2 25cal., Winchester Mod. 94 30-30, Sears and Robuck 30-30 lever. I try to make it to the range at least once once a month. I use shooting to relieve stress and stay proficient to keep my CHL. The 22lr are cheap to shoot and fun. My 30-30s I keep clean and oiled and put away, I haven't shot them in many years.

joe

Texianjoe
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

I gotta agree. Like it or not, guns are a heavily politically charged issue, and are always going to arouse strong sentiments from both sides. So what is the point of inviting more of that on this board? There's a thousand other places on the internet to talk about guns (and religion and politics, etc...). I think we have enough bickering on Roadfood when we talk about FOOD.

As long as we discuss firearms as a sport, there is nothing wrong with it. One can politicize any topic and turn it into an argument.

joe

Texianjoe
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Mike, I'm also a hand gun enthusiast. I prefer revolvers and my revolver of choice is Smith & Wesson. Currently I own a S&W 340pd HiViz, which is currently the strongest and lightest .357 magnum made. I also have a S&W 29 Mountain Gun, which is a .44 magnum with a 4" barrel. These are not safe queens. I go to the range once a week with a friend to shoot. Practice ammo for the 340 is Federal Match Wadcutter 148 gr. I aslo shootSpeer Gold Dot Short Barrel 38+p and the gun wears Pachmyar Compac grips. Mountain Gun ammo is CCI Blazer 200 gr. 44 special for practice. My other ammo of choice is Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 200 gr. 44 magnum, The 44 wears grips off the S&W .500 bear hunter model, which greatly reduces recoil. The 44 is more pleasant to shoot than the 357. My range buddy is an ex-navy fighter pilot. He was a member of the professional navy shooting team and has been my personal instructor. He owns a series of competition and self defense guns and I've had the opportunity to shoot many of them. He has a laser equipped, custom built Ruger ruger competition .22, which is my favorite target gun.

Ranges will not let us use Blazer ammo. They say it is dangerous, I think they just don't want to fish the aluminum casings out of their brass.

joe

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3219
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:52 PM
Joe, the aluminum cased CCI Blazers are the least expensive 44 special ammo and since I don't reload, they're my ammo of choice.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17851
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

One of my passions have always been firearms. They, bowling and SCUBA have been my sport since I was a teen. I sucked at ball, whatever kind of ball other then bowling. There I can usually break 200, barely.

But I can shoot up a storm and usually hit what I'm aiming at. I own a few guns but I really prefer my handguns. .357 magnum is my favorite but I shoot a lot of .22lr because it's cheap.

For my birthday Tuesday I bought myself a new pistol, a Springfield Armory XD in .45acp with a 4" barrel.

MikeS.

Wow! You treat yourself very nicely when it comes to birthdays. But really. Plastic?

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 12:56 PM
I know of one range around here that doesn't permit Blazer ammo, and it is because of the brass-Blazer mix.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 1:25 PM
i have been called a raving liberal MANY times and i really am an old hippie--but i also like firearms--as a kid i shot about 600-800 rounds a week--.22 target --and hunted--deer,but most-my favorite-pheasant and quail--still have the have the 12 gauge pump i got my first buck with--it was my dads--it was passed on when he got his Ithica Deerslayer--(Mass has a Shotgun only-No Rifle Policy)Since there no pheasant in the area i am now in i am thinking about getting into turkeys--there LOTS of them! Had a pistol for a while--a S&W 38--but i was never really comfortable with them.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 1:28 PM
CSD: Unless you need something to tote around bears while fishing in Alaska I don't know why you'd want that Model 29 with a four-inch barrel.

Texianjoe
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 1:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Joe, the aluminum cased CCI Blazers are the least expensive 44 special ammo and since I don't reload, they're my ammo of choice.

I agree with you, I have 2 boxes of Blazer 9mm in my gun case. I just have to wait until I go to the country to use it up.

joe

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 2:53 PM
I've killed a couple of brown bears in Alaska with .44 Magnum revolvers -- one with a Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2-inch barrel, the other with a Model 29 with a 6 1/2-inch barrel. Last year I put 100 rounds through a Ruger Alaskan with a 2 1/2-inch barrel during some testing over three days, and despite the Hogue grips and the PAST glove it hurt. I also tested the Alaskan in .480 Ruger. I would choose the Alaskan in .44 Magnum for a sidearm while fishing or hiking in bear country.

Michigander
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 4:24 PM
I am also a handgunner, who prefers revolvers. I have S&W model 29 44 mag, model 19 357 mag, and model 17 22lr, all with target hammer, trigger, and sights. I'm looking at the .500, but haven't quite justified it yet. I've taken several deer with the 44 and 357, and umpteen squirrels with the 22.

Most of the remaining ranges in my area are under pressure from urban sprawl. I belong to two clubs, one in place since the twenties, and the other from the forties. Both are facing lawsuits from new neighbors who object to the noise or supposed stray bullets, which they can never actually verify. Since this a civil post, I won't say what I really think about people who build their big new house on a half acre next to a sportsmans club, then try to sue to close it down.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 4:50 PM
I'm a military arms collector who recently handed down his collection of Korea and before firearms and edged weapons to his son, a man with enough brains to not live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

Also a life member of the NRA and CRPA.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 5:01 PM
I hunted whitetails with the 500 two years ago -- a 10 1/2-inch barrel. I liked it. This past season I used a 9 1/2-inch Super Redhawk in .480-Ruger.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 5:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

I'm a military arms collector who recently handed down his collection of Korea and before firearms and edged weapons to his son, a man with enough brains to not live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.

I'm an NRA life member. I recently got a Legacy Life Membership for my grandson. In fact, I just sent off the information so they can send him his credentials and subscription to American Rifleman. I had to wait till I got his APO address for Korea.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 6:03 PM
quote:

Not a thing. It is in Off topic and lighter fare for that reason.

MikeS.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 6:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

MikeS.

Wow! You treat yourself very nicely when it comes to birthdays. But really. Plastic?

For my 50th I sure did.

Have you tried one Michael? I too scoffed when the Glock came out 15+ years ago but they really have proven themselves. This XD has been tortured tested by 150 degree heat, -25 cold, frozen in water and buried in sand. That same pistol shot over 20k rounds before a pin broke. It has a 13 round magazine. Thats a lot of bang with a .45acp

enginecapt
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 6:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

I'm an NRA life member. I recently got a Legacy Life Membership for my grandson. In fact, I just sent off the information so they can send him his credentials and subscription to American Rifleman. I had to wait till I got his APO address for Korea.
That's an excellent idea and one I'll be adopting for my grands.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 6:43 PM
I started this thread knowing it could turn controversial easily. I also knew we had several people out here that like to shoot. There are more who haven't chimed in yet, I'm sure we'll be hearing from them as well as the opposition

enginecapt
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 6:59 PM
(Shameless hint follows)

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't post in a thread that was entitled "Broccoli Lovers" or "Vinegar Lovers". I despise those things.

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 7:00 PM

I have shared the enjoyment of target and recreational shooting with my sons for many years. On the desert of SoCal it was easy to find safe sites for setting up targets and enjoying the sport. In the expand population explosion out there it has become a bit more difficult finding open space in "shooting zones" that still allow the activity. Here in Indiana we have enough open space and controlled access land that we can do some small caliber and shotgun shooting, but the big-bore stuff needs to be on a real-range, so we don't do it as much as we used to.
Other than some military nostalgia stuff (Tokarev 30 Mauser and a couple of M1's) I limit my personal arsenal to a 357 snubby and 12 ga. trench shotgun for anti-crime duty at my house. The big-bore stuff is secured in long-term storage and will go to my hunting sons soon.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 7:14 PM
quote:

[quote

For my 50th I sure did.

Have you tried one Michael? I too scoffed when the Glock came out 15+ years ago but they really have proven themselves. This XD has been tortured tested by 150 degree heat, -25 cold, frozen in water and buried in sand. That same pistol shot over 20k rounds before a pin broke. It has a 13 round magazine. Thats a lot of bang with a .45acp

Yes. I've shot a couple of them, and they are fine pistols. But I'm a steel and wood guy. Too damned old to change my ways. I have a chief of police and an assistant chief who are always ticked off because I constantly kid them about their "plastic toy" guns when I work with them on firearms training stuff.

Sundancer7
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 7:31 PM
I will have my inventory of firearms shortly. I am ridding the stuff with the exception of a few pieces that were personal.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1682
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 7:33 PM
real quick here................a long story short, While flying between Vietnam and Cambodia the Navy issued us 38 S&W police specials ..."what a piece of crap"
so while on a side trip to Hong Kong we all ditched our 38's and got these Belgium Browning 22LR
The ammo was specially made for the humid climate with stainless steel casings and note the tips of the slug.............. "hollow" ...........that could rip a hole in a VC's gut the size of a softball and with a little added surprise stuffed in that hallow point "stuff" that would put the recipient to sleep for ever more... if you catch my drift.
I love this gun for it accuracy and it fit so well in my survival vest.

PS. yes I still have it .it's in my desk even as we speak............... I whipped it out for the pic and it's back in the drawer waiting for ............. whoever pisses me off....lol

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 8:59 PM
quote:

(Shameless hint follows)

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't post in a thread that was entitled "Broccoli Lovers" or "Vinegar Lovers". I despise those things.

I think you have suggested a wise course for all.

sop that
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 9:12 PM
I love target sports, golf, darts, bowling, shuffle board (the bar variety), bocce ball, lawn bowling, horse shoes, and shooting. Target shooting is what I really love to do, Skeet is challenging and a fun social sport. Steel targets are a blast; this rapid fire challenge gives you instant feedback as you knock over the steel targets.

The best thing about shooting is it is easy on my knees!

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Thu, 03/22/07 9:38 PM
While a Belgian Browning .22 is a fine pistol, it is still a ,22. To ditch a .38 for a .22 makes absolutely no sense at all. If you were unhappy with the power of a .38 Special round then switching to a .22 was worse than silly. Although the .38 special round is not the most powerful in the world, dropping down to a .22 is pretty dumb. If you were unhappy with the power of the .38 special, then why didn't you just step up to the Plus-P version? For that matter, did you really believe that a hollowpoint .22 would do more damage than a hollowpoint .38?

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 7:29 AM
I, too, grew up with guns (in PA) and when I moved to ATL we used to shoot alot. Now that development is encroaching, I don't get to the range often, but I take Mrs. Oneiron occasionally. She uses her revolver and I usually break out the Springfield XD .45 or the S&W .40. I'm still missing the clay bird shooting close by as now we have to drive 50 moles to do any clay target practice. Love my guns - am too a Life Member. PS - I won 2nd place in the GA Silhouette Championship a few years ago with my magna-ported S&W M29 8 1/2" .44MAG.

douginvirginia
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 7:45 AM
CSD,
That's a sweet one. I have its poor cousin, the Highway Patrolman 28-2 in 4". There's nothing like a blue N frame. Would love to have a reg. mag, but they've gone up too much for me for a shooter, and I'm not interested in safe queens.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 7:54 AM
Oneiron, my man! Another XD .45 lover.

CSD, a fine looking revolver! I have that in a 6" barrel with target sights & trigger. It makes a .357 into a pussycat. .357 mag has always been my favorite center fire caliber. I have 5 of them including a semi-auto Coonan and a lever action carbine by Rossi. I usually buy my practice ammo 1k rounds at a time.

PP prefers my 9mm S&W pistol, less recoil. When her security job went armed though she practiced with the model 27 using .38spl. The extra weight she says helps her control better and when she qualifies she shoots the company's mod 19 4" better.

I taught both my girls how to shoot at an early age, now both of them pack a weapon for work. The youngest is a decent shot and the oldest is darn good. She out shoots the guys and they don't like that a lot

I'll be taking out my new XD in a couple hours, this will be my 1st experience with a .45. I have high hopes for it.

MikeS.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 8:00 AM
All righty, now we're talking. I shoot IPSC & IDPA, my "game gun" is a Glock 34 with Dawson Precision sights and a Charlie Vanek trigger job. I have over 20,000 rounds through the gun and it's breaking in nicely, trigger is a little over one pound. Others include two Glock 19's, one set up like the 34 as a backup and one stock for carry, one Glock 26 (Wifes gun), two Kel-Tecs (Bugs), one Browning .22 Rifle, one Feather .22 Rifle, one Mosseberg shotgun, and soon to be an Olympic Arms AR-15 in 9mm that accepts Glock Magazines (I have about 25 standard high capacity and three 30 round high capacity magazines).

And three cookers.

John

Sundancer7
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 8:19 AM
I am amazed about how many gun lovers there are. My inventory is going down the drain pretty quick. I have had several folks inquire about my inventory.

I am only going to keep one and it will be my cheapest piece.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

sizz
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 11:30 AM
Paul.......... it sure would be nice is you gave us first "shot" at your inventory when you do decide to sell...........

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6228
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 1:40 PM
You'll have to laugh me outta here. All I have is a Daisy Powerline 880 BB-gun.

Sundancer7
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 3:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

Paul.......... it sure would be nice is you gave us first "shot" at your inventory when you do decide to sell...........

You guys have got the first shot. All I am trying to do is reduce my stress. I am getting rid of anything that causes me stress. I am not trying to auction off anything.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Oneiron339
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 4:55 PM
Although I don't hunt anymore (got tired of killing things) I still love to shoot. We go whenever we can to an indoor range nearby. Still miss taking a box of claybirds and several boxes of shells and going to a field and throwing them all afternoon.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 5:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Oneiron339

Although I don't hunt anymore (got tired of killing things) I still love to shoot. We go whenever we can to an indoor range nearby. Still miss taking a box of claybirds and several boxes of shells and going to a field and throwing them all afternoon.

Once grouse season ends here on the last day of February each year I get back to at least one clays outing a week. I mostly shoot sporting clays, but occasionally skeet and trap.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 5:41 PM
Well my new .45 goes BANG real well. It's shooting left and a bit low at 30 feet from a 2 hand stance. I'll take it out again in a few days with a sandbag rest and try it that way. It was a lot of fun to shoot and is going to be a challenge to master.

MikeS.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
RE: Firearm lovers. - Fri, 03/23/07 9:08 PM
quote:

Well my new .45 goes BANG real well. It's shooting left and a bit low at 30 feet from a 2 hand stance. I'll take it out again in a few days with a sandbag rest and try it that way. It was a lot of fun to shoot and is going to be a challenge to master.

MikeS.

I gotta' get my old .45 cal reblued...

[img][/img]

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 12:49 AM
Oh, I get it. Y'all are a bunch of anarchists who want to destroy our way of life!

I don't believe that citizens should be allowed to own guns, because:

1) They can easily hurt themselves.

2) It's been PROVEN (just like man-caused global warming) that allowing common, unlightened citizen scum to own handguns only results in everyone shooting and killing someone at the slightest provocation.

3) The government knows (and cares about) what's best for all of us, and allowing citizens to own guns might someday get in the way of the government's right to control us. Heaven only knows what would happen to us if we were left to make decisions for ourselves!!!

4) Who needs an assault rifle to go hunting???

Well, I guess I've made my point. I encourage all of you gun-toting, 2nd-amendment believing, child-abusing, America-hating scum to turn in your guns NOW!!!

Your government will thank you for your patriotism.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 1:25 AM
From my cold dead feet ...

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 2:01 AM
Man, if one harnessed all the testosterone wafting through this thread, Viagra would be obsolete.

enginecapt
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 2:05 AM
Ooo-rah.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6256
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 5:18 AM
My first Christmas in Alaska.....gifts consisted of a down parka with coyote fur hood and a .22 Ruger. Strangest gifts I ever received. It's a nice little gun for shooting ptarmagan. Our house in Alaska is like an armory. He has guns for everything. We never travel (except through Canada) without the .44 Magnum (Maggie). I bought him a Snake Charmer one year for his birthday........oh, we're BIG into guns. I'll see if I can get Zman to post the specifics of all of his treasures.

mayor al
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 7:37 AM
I used to include a handgun in my Airplane luggage when I traveled.. The laws have made that a very complex activity So I don't do it now. It is even hard to be aware of all the various state laws when you travel by car from state to state. Carrying a gun in a vehicle unloaded is not going to help in that emergency "self defense" situation, but carrying a loaded weapon may be a felony in some states.
I used to have a great concern about those things (more than now) because if a teacher (in California) is convicted of a felony (even a weapons felony) they will lose there Teaching Licence permanently. Thus being convicted of carrying a loaded gun in my car could have cost me my ability to work in the state in my career field. Somehow that doesn't balance against the freakin' gangbanger who robs me with a TEC 9 in my face and gets 'probation' for a sentence.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 7:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

Man, if one harnessed all the testosterone wafting through this thread, Viagra would be obsolete.

So Red, tell us what you like to shoot.

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 8:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Oh, I get it. Y'all are a bunch of anarchists who want to destroy our way of life!

I don't believe that citizens should be allowed to own guns, because:

1) They can easily hurt themselves.

2) It's been PROVEN (just like man-caused global warming) that allowing common, unlightened citizen scum to own handguns only results in everyone shooting and killing someone at the slightest provocation.

3) The government knows (and cares about) what's best for all of us, and allowing citizens to own guns might someday get in the way of the government's right to control us. Heaven only knows what would happen to us if we were left to make decisions for ourselves!!!

4) Who needs an assault rifle to go hunting???

Well, I guess I've made my point. I encourage all of you gun-toting, 2nd-amendment believing, child-abusing, America-hating scum to turn in your guns NOW!!!

Your government will thank you for your patriotism.

"There are more who haven't chimed in yet, I'm sure we'll be hearing from them as well as the opposition "

I told you the opposition would show up! The name of the Devil is now known. He is a U.N. lover too. Bushie, who should be ran out of Texas tarred and feathered on a rail.

You gotta love the humor of that man, he said it with such a straight face!

MikeS.
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 8:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I used to include a handgun in my Airplane luggage when I traveled.. The laws have made that a very complex activity So I don't do it now. It is even hard to be aware of all the various state laws when you travel by car from state to state. Carrying a gun in a vehicle unloaded is not going to help in that emergency "self defense" situation, but carrying a loaded weapon may be a felony in some states.
I used to have a great concern about those things (more than now) because if a teacher (in California) is convicted of a felony (even a weapons felony) they will lose there Teaching Licence permanently. Thus being convicted of carrying a loaded gun in my car could have cost me my ability to work in the state in my career field. Somehow that doesn't balance against the freakin' gangbanger who robs me with a TEC 9 in my face and gets 'probation' for a sentence.

Something I face as well being a Fed. Packing.org is a great site that will help you determine each states laws about vehicle carry.

Congress has been working on a bill that would make reciprocity of CCW permits the law. If you have a state issued permit then all states would recognize it. With the new congress this is probably a bit further out but it might still make it. Now that would be way cool.

Adjudicator
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 10:20 AM
Here is what I want, NEXT:

FN Five-seveN® Pistol, 5.7 x 28 mm

Technical data :

Five-seveN® Five-seveN® Tactical
• Operating principle Delayed blowback
• Trigger mechanism double action only single action
• Trigger pull 4.5 -6.5 daN (10 -14 lbs) 2 -3 daN (4.5 -6.6 lbs)
• Weight loaded 744 g (1.64 lb) 756 g (1.67 lb)
• Magazine capacity 20 rounds
• Overall length 208 mm (8.2 in)
• Barrel length 122.5 mm (4.8 in)
• Frame, slide cover , magazine Black polymer
• Maximum effective range 50 m

http://www.fnherstal.com/html/Index.htm

Adjudicator
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 10:28 AM
And... Speaking of guns... Anyone remember Black Talon ammo? My PPK is alternately loaded with one Black Talon for each Hydra Shock. I still have some .45 cal Talons stashed away, also.

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 11:04 AM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

So Red, tell us what you like to shoot.

Welllllllll........I do have a Super Duper Automatic Deluge 1 Gallon Super Soaker Water Gun that's bigger than an AK 47. My targets include my son and his posse, cats on the dining room table, hanging baskets of plants and annoying people. It's much prettier than any y'all have shown, with it's green, blue and purple casing. The best thing is I've never had any trouble getting it through airport security.

sizz
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 11:29 AM
quote:
redtressed Posted - 03/24/2007 : 11:04:38 Welllllllll........I do have a Super Duper Automatic Deluge 1 Gallon Super Soaker Water Gun that's bigger than an AK 47

Miss Redtressed I know you are trying to be cute.but growing up in the early 50's on the streets of NY a 14 year old kid's best friend for protection of his lunch money was a new water gun filled with Clorox bleach.............

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 11:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Technical data :

Fun gun to shoot but very expensive ammo. Friend of mine that works at a gun store had one for a short while.

Nowadays Black Talon is called Ranger, supposedly LEO only but easily found. Most LEO’s that I know carry Gold Dot in their personal weapons, me too.

John

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6228
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 12:28 PM
If I was going to buy a pistol I would start here...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Desert_Eagle.asp

I'm not sure why though other than it's from my town, it's big and it is the epitome of what I would want.

Michael Hoffman
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 1:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

If I was going to buy a pistol I would start here...

http://www.magnumresearch.com/Desert_Eagle.asp

I'm not sure why though other than it's from my town, it's big and it is the epitome of what I would want.

It's a fine pistol, but you'll need suspenders to hold up your britches if you ever want to strap one of those on your belt. Better yet, get one of those concealed-carry wheelbarrows.

Adjudicator
RE: Firearm lovers. - Sat, 03/24/07 1:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by John A

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Technical data :

Fun gun to shoot but very expensive ammo. Friend of mine that works at a gun store had one for a short while.

Nowadays Black Talon is called Ranger, supposedly LEO only but easily found. Most LEO’s that I know carry Gold Dot in their personal weapons, me too.

John

These things (FN) are selling lot hotcakes @ 99 cents a dozen in my area. OK. I will admit it!!! All I want is an MP-5...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16402

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 21, messages 1 to 60 of 1253