Chimichanga Sauce

Author Message
SgtHulka
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/19/2007
  • Location: Akron, OH
Chimichanga Sauce - Fri, 03/23/07 2:01 PM
0
When I eat chimichangas at different restaurants, some have sauce some do not. Some the sauce is red or green. But I remember one place (or maybe more) where the sauce was brownish in color. That was my favorite sauce to eat them with.

Anyone have a recipe for chimichanga sauce (or maybe its an all purpose brown mexican sauce) that meets that criteria?

Thanks,

dannybotz
  • Total Posts : 357
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/30/2007
  • Location: Branchburg N.J.
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Fri, 03/23/07 2:03 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by SgtHulka

When I eat chimichangas at different restaurants, some have sauce some do not. Some the sauce is red or green. But I remember one place (or maybe more) where the sauce was brownish in color. That was my favorite sauce to eat them with.

Anyone have a recipe for chimichanga sauce (or maybe its an all purpose brown mexican sauce) that meets that criteria?

Thanks,
usually a sauce that is brownish would be some kind of a mole sauce was it spicy???

SgtHulka
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/19/2007
  • Location: Akron, OH
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Fri, 03/23/07 2:05 PM
0
No. I know what mole is and it wasnt straight mole. That might have been part of the ingredients though. Almost gravy-ish in color and consistency. But a little lighter than gravy. And no, not really spicy.

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/15/2006
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Fri, 03/23/07 6:51 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by SgtHulka

No. I know what mole is and it wasnt straight mole. That might have been part of the ingredients though. Almost gravy-ish in color and consistency. But a little lighter than gravy. And no, not really spicy.


It was probably chili sauce, like they use on enchiladas. It's like a thin chili almost like hot dog sauce. There is a thread somewhere about it.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16212&SearchTerms=enchilada,sauce

I think this is it.

joe

guacshorts
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/21/2007
  • Location: eugene, OR
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 5:30 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Texianjoe

quote:
Originally posted by SgtHulka

No. I know what mole is and it wasnt straight mole. That might have been part of the ingredients though. Almost gravy-ish in color and consistency. But a little lighter than gravy. And no, not really spicy.


It was probably chili sauce, like they use on enchiladas. It's like a thin chili almost like hot dog sauce. There is a thread somewhere about it.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16212&SearchTerms=enchilada,sauce

I think this is it.

joe


I agree with texianjoe... must be a chili based sauce. could be a regional mole as well, without the chocolate, just chile based too...


enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 6:05 AM
0
I hear you on the regional mole. Hell, I've even run across green mole. And no, it wasn't spoiled. You got yer moles then you got yer moles.

guacshorts
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/21/2007
  • Location: eugene, OR
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 7:14 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

I hear you on the regional mole. Hell, I've even run across green mole. And no, it wasn't spoiled. You got yer moles then you got yer moles.


yessir, enginecapt... we got them moles then we got them moles

i read someplace that the green mole is called "pipian" in mexico...

I think that also that store-bought Dona Maria brand in certain states even sells "pipian" mole in those small glass drinking glasses. Never have tried it tho... Is it green cause of tomatilloes?


enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 7:57 AM
0
Yep. I loves stuff a la pipian because I loves pepitas. It's a northeast Mexico tradition. Another good brand to look for in pipian and mole is Rogelio Bueno.

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/15/2006
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 8:21 AM
0
Green mole and Pipian are two different things. Pipian is like the dark mole except it doesn't contain the chocolate and cinimmon and is usually not as spicy as the brown mole. Green mole is made from tomatillos, spices and chiles.

I'm a purist, Mole Poblano is my favorite. Thats the dark veriety.

joe

guacshorts
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/21/2007
  • Location: eugene, OR
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 8:45 AM
0
never have made pipian, but in my mole poblano recipe that i gleaned from my grandmother in MX i use:

sauteed onion,

raw tomatos,

chiles (guajillo, pasilla, ancho) and their water from hot-soaking after toasting

stale tortilla

cashews, toasted sesame seeds, almonds
pan-fried plantain

orange peel, just a touch

cinammon, nutmeg, allspice, clove, cumin, coriander... just pinches overall

baker's mexican chocolate

sugar

salt

all pureed...

then simmered

then add chicken -- dark and light meat -- added with chicken broth from cooking the chicken in a pot...

have gotten rave reviews... from strangers and known people alike.




1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2000
  • Location: Rogue Valley
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 5:36 PM
0
That sounds cool, Guac. Thanks!

guacshorts
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/21/2007
  • Location: eugene, OR
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 5:55 PM
0
EDIT:

the mexican chocolate is added when the pureed mole sauce is simmering so it melts in the pot.

i like to add some onion, a pinch of oregano, a bay leaf and a couple garlic cloves to the water used to cook the chicken. the chicken is then simmered in the mole sauce after it's fairly cooked or cooked all the way. the sauce is much smoother when ones uses dark meat, like thigh, in addition to chicken breast.

guacshorts
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/21/2007
  • Location: eugene, OR
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 03/26/07 5:56 PM
0
Your welcome Bill!

Enjoy!

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/15/2006
  • Location: Houston, TX
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Wed, 04/4/07 2:52 PM
0
I ran across this on another forum, it is a repost of an article on mole. It is kinda intresting.

http://www.vallartascene.com/pvforum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4799

joe

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/14/2002
  • Location: Syracuse, NY
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Wed, 04/11/07 3:24 PM
0
Enjoy the sauces, but I have to say I don't recall getting any type of sauces on my chimmichangas...just fried goodness..

mollydingle
  • Total Posts : 221
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/14/2005
  • Location: Lawrence, MA
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Fri, 04/13/07 1:52 PM
0
Our local Mexican place serves chimis with a chipotle sauce. Yum! Could that be it?

chichiex
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/29/2006
  • Location: allentown, PA
RE: Chimichanga Sauce - Mon, 04/16/07 7:09 PM
0
The sauce that may have been on chimichangas that you have could be a basic verde sauce. It is made from mild green diced chili peppers and you can put it on chicken enchiladas, on chimichangas, on chicken burritos. It is what we used at chi-chi's. I don't remember what was in theirs, but I have made a replica using mexican websites. Just look for a recipe for a verde sauce. I have mexican employees and they love it.