Fake food

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 98 of 98
Texicana
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/4/03 8:21 PM
Rick if you ever go to Mexico or some parts of Texas, don't be afraid of those little roadside shacks that have big bubbling pots o' grease with the pork skins cooking in them. They are very interesting, those chicharrones, some are pure crunch, some have some fried meat on them. All you have to do is spoon some salsa on em and be careful not to drip.

Head East? If you are in Louisiana I'd have to head south, live in Ky
Actually I plan on being in Beaumont and probably Louisiana next time I go to Texas.

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/4/03 8:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Here's a link for caul fat: http://www.chinesetakeaways.com/Ingredients/Caul%20Fat.htm

quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

While on the subject of menudo (which is very good if you don't eat the rubbery bits) etc. What is caul fat? I see it on cooking shows and it looks exactly like honeycomb tripe.

Elise, who longs for Beefaroni

Thanks! Isn't the internet amazing? Caul fat fascinates me. It's like cooking with spiderwebs.

Texicana
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/4/03 8:25 PM
Cracklin fans, have yall ever had cracklin cornbread? I have recipes for something similar, cracklin gorditas, those tasty little masa patties.

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/4/03 9:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Here's a link for caul fat: http://www.chinesetakeaways.com/Ingredients/Caul%20Fat.htm

AH!! So THAT'S the stuff I see them using on Iron Chef all the time!!

EliseT
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/5/03 5:05 PM
I prefer canned cranberry sauce with can marks in it over the real thing..there, I'm out of the closet! And I will never be ashamed again!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17845
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/5/03 5:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

One of my favorite fake food combinations was Franco-American Spaghetti <not Spaghetti-O's..Not EVER!> eaten with boiled Tobin's First Prize Hot Dogs. I didn't mix these together, but eat the hot dogs on buttered soft Wonder bread with the Franco spaghetti as a side. God being a kid was wonderful. If I was to eat that today, my wife who's an ICU nurse would have me carted off to the hospital for a quadruple bypass!!!

I loved Franco American spaghetti. I'd heat a can of Franco American, a can of baked beans (B&M), fry up Spam slices and have it all for lunch when I was about 10 or 11. In fact, that sounds good right now.

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/5/03 5:46 PM
quote:

I prefer canned cranberry sauce with can marks in it over the real thing..there, I'm out of the closet! And I will never be ashamed again!

Isn't putting canned over "real" a little redundant? Anyway, it's the same at our house. Roast turkey w/ salt, pepper, mayo (always Hellman's), on white bread. We sometimes get just a turkey breast for sandwiches!

RockyB
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/5/03 6:36 PM
Michael..If you were going to go the TRUE fake food way, you'd have to switch the B&M Baked Beans for a can of Campbells Pork & Beans! They also used to make a great can of beans & franks. I believe it's off the market now, I can't remember the last time I saw them.
Good Eating My Friend!

Texicana
RE: Fake food - Wed, 08/6/03 2:39 PM
The potluck I just came back from was a vertiable feast of fake foods, from the boxed stuffing and chicken casserole, seven layer salad, homemade beefaroni, to the hershey bar and cool whip pie.

Rick F.
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 2:17 AM
I forgot: fake drink! I love Crystal Light, a totally synthetic "product" that actually leaves no perceptible aftertaste. In fact, it has no redeeming qualities whatever, save that it has a lot fewer calories than Wild Turkey!

Rick F.
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 2:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Texicana

Cracklin fans, have yall ever had cracklin cornbread? I have recipes for something similar, cracklin gorditas, those tasty little masa patties.

Could you share that recipe? I have 5# of masa in the freezer and cracklins' fairly nearby!

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 8:37 AM
Once in a while, I get a craving for one of those frozen chicken pies, the cheapie ones with only a top crust, and 4 or 5 quarter inch cubes of chicken swimming in a satisfyingly salty gravy. Brings back memories of my paternal grandmother's home cooking. She always had Swanson frozen chicken pies for lunch on Thursdays. Each day of the week had its specific menu and it didn't change for years. Friday lunch was tuna salad sandwiches and Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee canned cheese ravioli - every Friday through all the years I attended a nearby grade school.

When my husband is sick, the only think that will make him stop whining is Kool-Aid, and it has to be cherry, and it has to be made in and served from a Mr. Kool-Aid pitcher.

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 8:44 AM
I am particularly fond of Kraft Velveeta Mac & Cheese in the box and with that little packet of orange cheese that you squeeze!

Liketoeat
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 9:36 AM
Noticed above references to "cracklin (corn) bread" . Though I'm probably the world's biggest cornbread fan (regular cornbread in all shapes & sizes, baked or fried, hot water bread, corn dodgers, Mexican cornbread, etc., etc.), and can eat it any time, any way its servied, I've always found cracklin bread to be too greasy to me; the grease of the cracklins in the bread detracting from the wonderful taste of cornbread. Know lots of people who really love it, but adding the cracklins to the batter just ruins good cornbread for me.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13397
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 9:58 AM
The S & S cafeteria serves super cracklin cornbread in Knoxville. When I am home and visit the cafeteria, I alternate buying their cracklin and Mexican. Sometimes I buy both.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Texicana
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 10:12 AM
Hey Rick check your email, I sent you the cracklin' gorditas recipe ok?

Browniebaker
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 11:40 AM
What about peach cobbler made with canned peaches, the filling all syrupy and sweet? Yum.

Or Pillsbury's crescent rolls from the cardboard tube that you whack against the countertop?

How about doughnuts made out of biscuits from a cardboard tube? Mom used to put a hole in each biscuit and deep-fry them, then roll in sugar.

Texicana
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 11:48 AM
BrownieBaker my mom would do the same thing with the biscuit dough, make doughnuts outta them

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 12:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

jmckee: How do you get botany out of a discussion regarding menudo and tripe?

Paul E. Smioth
Knoxville, TN

Coarse fuzz. Sounds like a dandelion........

And the answer to HOW would require me to explain how my brain works. Something I've avoided considering for many years.

NancyPeter
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 2:30 PM
Don't know if this qualifies as fake food, but I love Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips. I discovered them in the freezer section near the waffles when my husband was a vegetarian for five years, and he yearned for bacon. Even my boys like the "fake bacon," as we call it. Peter is back to eating meat again, but I still serve the veggie strips, especially in fried egg sandwiches with cheese - brings the fat content of the meal WAY down!

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 3:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NancyPeter

Don't know if this qualifies as fake food, but I love Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon Strips. I discovered them in the freezer section near the waffles when my husband was a vegetarian for five years, and he yearned for bacon. Even my boys like the "fake bacon," as we call it. Peter is back to eating meat again, but I still serve the veggie strips, especially in fried egg sandwiches with cheese - brings the fat content of the meal WAY down!

Can't get much more fake than fake bacon!

NancyPeter
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 4:42 PM
I guess you're right on that! Hey, but at least it's made from veggies, so it's good for you

ocdreamr
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 8:32 PM
quote:

I guess you're right on that! Hey, but at least it's made from veggies, so it's good for you

yeah, but what chemicals do they use to give it that smokey flavor?

NancyPeter
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 9:04 PM
The ingredients don't look too bad, actually! Not sure how they get that smokey taste, but I like it!

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 9:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

...Can't get much more fake than fake bacon!

Ditto. Reminds me of a time a few years ago when my daughter asked her mother to buy some bacon when she went to the store. My wife returned with some of those turkey "breakfast strips". My daughter was helping put up the groceries when she found the package. She looked at it, looked at her mother, looked at me, then continued putting the groceries away without a word.

That look said it all, and since my daughter owns my heart, I went out that day and bought some BACON. I think we ended up throwing the "breakfast strips" away after they had been in the fridge for the requisite month or two.

Oh, BTW, NancyPeter, I didn't mean to malign your desire to look after your family's health. Glad you've found something that works for you!

NancyPeter
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 10:37 PM
Thanks for saying that - I still like the veggie stuff no matter what!

BTW, we have "real" bacon several times a year at home, such as on Christmas morning, etc., & also when having breakfast at the diner, etc., so it's not like my family is bacon-deprived! Just tryin' to keep it under control

Rick F.
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 11:16 PM
quote:

Just tryin' to keep it under control

When we strip away the fanaticisms in all aspects of our lives isn't that what we seek, sanity in the arena of derangement?

NancyPeter
RE: Fake food - Mon, 08/11/03 11:25 PM
Wow, for a discussion on fake food, this is getting really deep

Rick F.
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/12/03 12:16 AM
quote:

Wow, for a discussion on fake food, this is getting really deep

Yep--and that's fake, too. I have given up the search for ultimate meaning and am now willing to settle for a good fantasy.

NancyPeter
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/12/03 8:31 AM
I second that! Now let's get back to the real (or fake) subject, ok

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/12/03 10:56 AM
What is fake, really? Let's contemplate.

NancyPeter
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/12/03 11:03 AM
I suppose fake is in the eye of the beholder!

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3588
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/12/03 12:07 PM
Chinese duck-------made out of gluten?

ocdreamr
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/12/03 8:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Chinese duck-------made out of gluten?

Must come from the same barnyard as tofurkey!

EliseT
RE: Fake food - Tue, 08/12/03 10:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

I guess I would say "fake food" is something that:

1. Bears little resemblance to anything found in nature

2. Is impossible to replicate at home (I can't make Kraft Mac and cheese or Spam from "scratch" in my home kitchen).

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: Fake food - Wed, 08/13/03 12:31 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

2. Is impossible to replicate at home (I can't make Kraft Mac and cheese or Spam from "scratch" in my home kitchen).

Perfect! Perfect description...

My wife, despite constantly crediting me with broadening her food horizons (she grew up here in Cincinnati, but had never eaten at Frisch's Big Boy or had Cincinnati chili when we met....), has a weakness for this sort of stuff. On those rare evenings when I go out by myself (to the opera, or to a meeting at our parish), leaving her and our son home alone, she will ask that I purchase the makings for her favorite "fake food" meal: Hamburger Helper (Cheeseburger Macaroni variety) and "tube biscuits" (Pillsbury, naturally).

*sigh*....the struggle continues....

Rick F.
RE: Fake food - Wed, 08/13/03 9:15 PM
quote:

I just found another one, but only if you add "I don't want to replicate it! I can do better at home!" It's Purnell's Pride Country Sausage Gravy. Edible in a pinch, as long as you pretend not to notice the translucent, old-dishwater gray color.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13397
RE: Fake food - Wed, 08/13/03 9:19 PM
RickF: I hear you on Purnells but I have recently been buying Libbys sausage gravy at Walmart. I thought it was pretty dadgum good. I baked some of canned bisquits and heated the Libby's sausage gravy and added some pepper, it was real good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 98 of 98