Fake food

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Hamburger
2003/08/03 16:27:35
Just wondering if I'm the only one who likes fake food. I love instant potatos, TV dinner salsbury steak, and I'm even fond of the "hambugers" you get out of vending machines. I'm not compairing the taste to the real version, but how it stands on it's own. (Kinda how Diet DrPepper tastes good but nothing like Real DrPepper.)

BTW I love this site!
Stogie
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 16:52:31
Hotrodder...

I am exactly the same with many foods!

Nothing better than a fried Spam sammich piled high with slaw and topped with a good mustard sauce.

I still LOVE the taste of boxed Kraft Dinner. I CAN tell the difference between it and other brands and simply HATE all the homemade recipes....I have tried many that claim to be the best...but they fall woefully short of the "blue box".

For many years I preferred hot dogs to steak! YIKES! Still love my dogs and many times I still choose them over a steak.

Stogie

Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 17:02:00
I like the school burgers, the ones that were mostly vegetable proteins, as well as school pizza (the rectangular kind) always with a bowl of corn, like I remember from my academic years.

Edited to add: Oh how could I miss my addiction to that neon orange nacho cheese sauce? Interesting fact, my dad is close friends to the son of the originator of the nacho, Ignacio Anaya from Piedras Negras, Coahuila Mexico, a border town. Now if I could only get a deal on a cheese pump!
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 17:23:15
quote:
Originally posted by Texicana

I like the school burgers, the ones that were mostly vegetable proteins, as well as school pizza (the rectangular kind) always with a bowl of corn, like I remember from my academic years.

Me too! We had hamburger buns with our TVP burgers that I think were potato rolls of some kind. Man, that was a long time ago.

I'm also a big fan of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Cheetos (gotta love that electric orange cheese) and the ultimate fake food, Velveeta ("Pasturized Process Cheese Food"--is that what cheeses eat?). And I've got a nostalgic thing for "Banana Flips" fake banana sponge cake folded like a taco around fake banana cream. Wonder if they still make those?
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 18:07:38
There's a time and place for everything. There are times that I like TV dinners and I like cheese whiz on my steaks at a special place: Pat's in Philadelphia.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 18:13:30
I'm "wit" CheeseWit regarding Whiz, although I prefer Jim's to Pat's (not trying to start a fight, though...) :) I'm also a big fan of Cool Whip, and kind of like Fluff, although it's been many years. And, while it may not be entirely fake, when I was a kid, I LOVED a chocolate peanut butter product called Koogle. All of my friends hated it, and it was off the market rather quickly, as I recall. To me, it tasted like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. To most, it tasted rancid, I guess.

ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:02:40
If you make the Kraft blue box PROPERLY,it will come out as creamy as any mac n cheese..but ya gotta cook it,not just dump everything in..There are certain frozen dinners that are actually pretty good-The Stouffers Chicken Fried steak is actually edible..better than some restaurants..REAL lumpy mashed taters for one..the Stouffers turkey aint bad either..and there is still a soft spot in the heart [literally!]for some of the Swansons stuff-the Fried Chicken can be good as well as the turkey...
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:06:10
The ULTIMATE fake snack: A Fluffanutter washed down with cold Yoo-Hoo...yummmmmm

close enuff to Cheeseburgerdom to TASTE it
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:30:46
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

I'm "wit" CheeseWit regarding Whiz, although I prefer Jim's to Pat's (not trying to start a fight, though...) :) I'm also a big fan of Cool Whip, and kind of like Fluff, although it's been many years. And, while it may not be entirely fake, when I was a kid, I LOVED a chocolate peanut butter product called Koogle. All of my friends hated it, and it was off the market rather quickly, as I recall. To me, it tasted like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. To most, it tasted rancid, I guess.

I was JUST talking about Koogle! I LOVED that stuff! Peanut butter and chocolate! But then I remember it started getting grainy, like you wondered if there was sand or glass or something wrong in it, and then it just disappeared off the shelves. Thank got I found Nutella to save me.

There was also this stuff in a can called "fruit float" It was a hideous shade of purple and I was addicted to it. I guess it was kind of like jello mixed with cool whip, or yogurt mousse...it is indescribable.

Oh, and these weird sticks that were like dry, chewy, powdery, chocolate-like play-dough. They were called "Astronaut food" or something like that and came individually wrapped. They were awful and I loved them.

Kraft Mac and Cheese FOREVER!
ocdreamr
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:43:15
those jello molds you get in the grocery, usually in the deli area. You know the ones, they have three colors in them, yellow,green & red. I like the ones that look like they have kool whip mixed in. Yes, I'm the one person that buys them.

Come on ConeyIslandLou only one more to go!!
CheeseWit
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 20:46:22
The classic fake food/drink: Tang. If it was good enough for the astronauts, it was good enough for me. For a while. Then I got sick of it. Can't drink it to this day.
Hotrodder
Hamburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:24:01
School pizza and tang pure yummy.

Rick F.
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:35:04
Praise God, I am home at last! I have seen the future and it is filled with people like me! When my wife leaves me over some of the things I try to persuade her should be on our dinner menu, will one of you folks marry me?

Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper
Campbell's Pepper Pot soup
Michelini's one-serving meals
Armour (?) frozen bacon cheeseburgers
White Castles out of the freezer box at the supermarket
Dehydrated scalloped potatoes
Lipton's one-dish rice things--Oriental, e.g.
Cracklins from Poche's in Breaux Bridge

And there will be more. MORE, MORE, MORE!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:47:03
Anymore of this and I'll quit this site!
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:48:08
Rick, I'll take a number for being wife #whatever, The only thing on your list I wouldn't eat is pepperpot, and even then I'm not sure

Wait til I break the news to the husband
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 22:56:51
quote:

School Cafeteria Food in the South was great. It was all made from scratch. In the 60's, when I went to school we all tried to work in the cafeteria, even if it meant cleaning trays. Just so we could eat early, work through lunch then get first dibs on the leftovers. The cinnamon rolls were outstanding! The bread/rolls unbelievable! Good Times!
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 23:12:01
Glenn- I'm with ya man. THe yeast rolls in my elementary school in rural North Louisiana were as good or better than any rolls I have ever had.

There was another dish called Lexington CHicken Spaghetti (Lexington Elementary, Monroe LA) that is wonderful. It can be found in the Junior League Cookbook from Monroe called "Cotton COuntry Collection" A truly world class cookbook.

As far as getting back on topic, I love those big Gorton batter dipped fish planks, but always feel stupid eating them, since I live all of ten miles from the Gulf Of Mexico. But they are a good, easy way of making proper fish Tacos.

I used to be really fond of the entire line of La Choy Chow Mein products when I was in college. Food in the bottom can and a tasty can of noodles in the top. Haven't eaten it in years, but it kept me alive in college (along with Aunt Jemima and dairy products from school ag barn
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 23:21:51
Loved Swanson's chicken pot pies with that slightly soggy crust on the bottom of the pan. Also the Night Hawk steak and tater dinners were yummy. They're still both available, but cant afford all those fat grams nowdays
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 23:22:42
Child of the 70's here, and in my small towns in Texas a whole lot wasn't homemade in the cafeteria, but I still remember the greasy orange cheese and onion enchiladas on fridays!

Someone mentioned Nighthawk dinners, I have to eat two of those things cos they're soo small. And whatevers in that little yellow sauce packet is great too.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/03 23:37:22
Rick F, pepper pot, doesn't that have tripe? Alright then, if it does, I'll eat it, since I have been known to eat menudo...
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 03:21:55
I'm an elementary school teacher in Brooklyn, and I'm the only teacher who buys the school lunch. The chicken nuggets are good, a new addition I didn't have as a kid. The wings taste like metal. The veal patty is surprisingly crispy and tasty. Although they serve everything with a bun, even chicken nuggets. Filler I guess. The pizza is still sub-Stouffers and remains a kid favorite. I grew up in LA, so I had a lot of Mexican food in the cafeteria. NYC kids are deprived. I couldn't wait for Tacquito day. The chocolate milk is still a nice treat, although standing in front of class with a bellyful of fried veal patties and chocolate milk is not always too comfortable. The desserts, as the Sterns would say, are inconsequential. Even the kids won't eat it. Actually, the kids have discerning tastes. If something stinks, they throw out the whole tray. You want to talk about service with a 'tude, the lunch ladies are Ms. Ratchits with a hair net. They're nice to me, though. If I'm around they're nice to the kids, too. I guess the kids are nice to them as well. Anyways, if you plan on dining in a NYC public school for lunch, go with the veal patty or the nuggets, stay away from the baked chicken.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 03:31:07
The LA Unified School District cinnamon rolls are legendary. I got the recipe and their secret was mixing cake crumbs in with the cinnamon.

The only boxed food I like is scalloped potatoes. I mix in a few fresh potatoes and some cream and snobby gourmets go nuts over them. I wish I could find frozen dinners I liked. It would make life so much easier.
Julia I
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:00:56
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

Glenn- I'm with ya man. THe yeast rolls in my elementary school in rural North Louisiana were as good or better than any rolls I have ever had.

All of the rolls, breads and desserts at my early 70's high school were made from scratch, and they were outstanding. Shortly after I graduated a story was published in the local paper giving some recipes that were used in the schools. I treasure their recipes for butterscotch bars and cornmeal cookies! (Once I ate most of a batch of the cornmeal cookie recipe before it made it to the oven.)

Stoeffer's makes a mean frozen mac 'n cheese. Creamy, with macaroni that is cooked just right. Best of all, I am not tempted to eat enough for four people because the serving is only enough for two. (Don't ask if I can manage to eat only half of the package!)
Lone Star
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:09:10
I cann't believe I am admitting this in public, but here goes....

My whole family likes to have those trays of salsibury steaks everyonce in a while, with Hungryjack potatoes. My kids call it "Fake steak and potatoes"." />

My mother used to give us an extra nickle on Cinammon roll day at our elementary school. I always like the school pizza and burgers to in a kind of sick fascination kind of way.

AND, you just can't beat ball-park nachos with that cheese in a can and the who-knows-what chili.

Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:15:40
quote:

Rick F, pepper pot, doesn't that have tripe? Alright then, if it does, I'll eat it, since I have been known to eat menudo...

You eat menudo? So that's what happened to that group....

What's menudo?
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:16:57
Swanson's used to have a meatball TV dinner that came in a tin with mashed potatoes. THAT is true tasty fake food!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:45:44
quote:

quote:

What's menudo?

A dish made from the stomach of a cow and it is called tripe. Don't do it

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:45:48
Phil, I actually went to a Menudo concert in the early 80's when I was too young to know any better!

Menudo is a chile, tripe and hominy soup.
Rick F.
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:48:59
quote:

What's menudo?

Tripe. I think of menudo as a New Mexican dish that's supposed to be good for hangovers, but haven't had any since I was much too young to need a remedy!
We can add to my list:
  • High School cafeteria food

• Junior High hamburgers, which included cottage cheese for some unknown reason

• "Butter"ed movie popcorn

• Grocery store tapioca pudding

Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:51:43
Cottage cheese? I won't touch that, nope, never, no way! Rick the New Mexico version of menudo ( and posole) differ a tiny bit from the Mexican versions, but it's worth a shot.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:52:22
I was at Walmart the other day and I noticed they sold tripe. It looked like a cancer from an elephant. Big white gooey mess. I could not do it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:56:00
Sundancer, the texture is a headtrip, to be sure. It's chewy, then soft and mushy (the lining of the stomach I guess). I could not get over the texture, the flavor didn't offend me. Reminded me of sushi, it's the texture that gets me every time.
Rick F.
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:56:44
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I was at Walmart the other day and I noticed they sold tripe. It looked like a cancer from an elephant. Big white gooey mess. I could not do it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Nor could I, today. But the tripe in Pepper Pot is very dainty by comparison: just coarse fuzz eith a chewy substratum.
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:57:02
I see...I know what tripe is; I'd just never heard of menudo. I guess, all things being equal, "Menudo" was a better name for the singing group than "Tripe" would have been.
Rick F.
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 11:59:53
quote:

Cottage cheese? I won't touch that, nope, never, no way! Rick the New Mexico version of menudo ( and posole) differ a tiny bit from the Mexican versions, but it's worth a shot.

AHA! It's posole I remember from childhood; and I remember liking it. Maybe it was a kinder, gentler tripe than Sundancer saw (& I have seen) at the grocer's?

After years of loathing it, I have come to enjoy cottage cheese. (Maybe I'm a kinder, gentler me? Nah.)We couldn't detect it in the burgers; some dim bulb made the school post their contents on the cafeteria menu.
Lone Star
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 12:17:20
I want to know how the Sundancer knows what cancer from an elephant looks like.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 12:33:31
I loved the fish tails they served at school (that is what they called em), drenched in ketchup and sided with mac and cheese.

Rick and Phil check ur email, alright?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 12:36:50
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

I want to know how the Sundancer knows what cancer from an elephant looks like.

I looked it up in my Funk and Wagnall
Actually I recall from my veterinarian pathology class in 1960.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jmckee
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 12:45:09
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Nor could I, today. But the tripe in Pepper Pot is very dainty by comparison: just coarse fuzz eith a chewy substratum.

This is starting to sound like a botanist's conversation......
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 12:50:24
jmckee: How do you get botany out of a discussion regarding menudo and tripe?

Paul E. Smioth
Knoxville, TN
RockyB
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 12:57:34
One of my favorite fake food combinations was Franco-American Spaghetti <not Spaghetti-O's..Not EVER!> eaten with boiled Tobin's First Prize Hot Dogs. I didn't mix these together, but eat the hot dogs on buttered soft Wonder bread with the Franco spaghetti as a side. God being a kid was wonderful. If I was to eat that today, my wife who's an ICU nurse would have me carted off to the hospital for a quadruple bypass!!!
ocdreamr
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 14:13:46
quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

buttered soft Wonder bread

talk about your fake food!!
Lone Star
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 14:17:48
Sundancer - OK, ewwww.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 14:18:15
How about Surimi...injustice to real crabs everywhere!
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 14:27:22
Always had a bizarre attraction to cheese in a can.
Lone Star
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 14:35:43
That fake "Krab" stuff is just awful. *shudder* I am always wary of crab salads etc...at parties and buffets. I just know someone is going to try to spring that stuff on me.!
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 14:37:42
Lonestar if it's red and white like a candycane, it's that fake crab mess...don't do it!
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 14:52:04
Using this definition of fake foods, my favorites would include some (by far not all) brands of instant mashed potatoes and of the rice or noodles mixes. More interesting to me, though, are the school cafeteria foods, which back in my day were not fake foods by any means but were fully from-scratch concoctions. Grade and high school favorites were sloppy joes, a non-spicy version of chili-mac, and great northern beans (which we doused with catsup) with cornbread. Two college cafeterias at which I ate had surprisingly delicious foods of all sorts, remembering particularly some of the salads, soups, and desserts. They served several versions of potato soup and a raw apple cake which I'd put up against those of the best restaurants anywhere. I've seen other but have never seen this particular version of apple cake (dark, moist, just a little spicy, with small chunks of raw apple, and guess what was a thick vanilla flavored white sauce drizzled over it) served anywhere else. Likewise, have never elsewhere seen one of the several versions (and all were good) of potato soup they served. In this particular soup the potatoes were pureed to a pulp and resided, not incorporated into, but were just in (kinda settled to bottom of bowl) a delicious clear but brown colored richly beef flavored broth. The beef broth flavor prevailed over that of the potato; guess it was like a thickened beef broth. So good! The other potato soups, tho delicious, were, like all their other great soups, more traditional. Would surely appreciate recipes for this apple cake or potato soup should this attempt at description ring a bell with anyone who has either recipe, or anything similar. Thanks. Liketoeat
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 14:56:49
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
Originally posted by RockyB

buttered soft Wonder bread

talk about your fake food!!

Don't knock the Wonder bread! It is the ONLY bread to have your PBJs on!!

I am not a fan of "fake food" and try to resist at almost all costs. However, Stauffer's creamed chipped beef is not bad and fits when I am having a craving. I once also got a great recipe for stuffed mushroom caps from the back of Stauffer's spinach souffle. Chips Deluxe cookies are a necessity at times. When I was a kid my mom used to buy these little frozen pizzas (about the size of your palm)--I think the brand was Gino's or Geno's. I did love those things. And yeah...any type of pasta that came in the can I loved when I was a kid. But now...I can't imagine how I did it!!

But TV dinners/salsibury steak "products" really gross me out!! And mac and cheese out of a box is sinful!!!!
homesick
Junior Burger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 15:00:28
quote:
Originally posted by Julia I

quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

All of the rolls, breads and desserts at my early 70's high school were made from scratch, and they were outstanding. Shortly after I graduated a story was published in the local paper giving some recipes that were used in the schools. I treasure their recipes for butterscotch bars and cornmeal cookies! (Once I ate most of a batch of the cornmeal cookie recipe before it made it to the oven.)

Stoeffer's makes a mean frozen mac 'n cheese. Creamy, with macaroni that is cooked just right. Best of all, I am not tempted to eat enough for four people because the serving is only enough for two. (Don't ask if I can manage to eat only half of the package!)
Lone Star
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 15:20:03
Meowzart - The creamed chipped beef is what I always put in the freezer for when the hubby and kids go down to the country. (Like this weekend! Yay!) I fix it over toast. That, and maybe some bloody mary mix and I wont' have to leave the house all weekend. I might not even get dressed...hmmmm.

Lone Star livin large.
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 15:41:30
Have to add Howard Johnson's frozen macaroni and cheese -- good stuff! I doctor it up with butter and extra cheese, and drink a big glass of milk with it -- this is one girl who won't have osteoporosis when she's an old lady!

And Spaghettios, the kind with franks -- I doctor that up too with good pasta sauce and plenty of parmesan on top -- comfort food when it's been a bad day.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 15:55:29
While on the subject of menudo (which is very good if you don't eat the rubbery bits) etc. What is caul fat? I see it on cooking shows and it looks exactly like honeycomb tripe.

Elise, who longs for Beefaroni
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 16:23:52
I used to eat Ramen Noodles out of economic necessity, now I eat them because I still think they taste great.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 16:34:29
Howard, you should try Yakisoba, the japanese buckweat noodles. They sell them dried like ramen, with a seasoning packet. Very tasty.

Elise, caul fat is indeed the stomach fat lining, but of a pig.
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 16:58:03
quote:

Howard, you should try Yakisoba, the japanese buckweat noodles. They sell them dried like ramen, with a seasoning packet. Very tasty.

Thanks, Tex, I guess I'll be heading to the Oriental Market after work.
Rick F.
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 17:27:48
Here's a link for caul fat: http://www.chinesetakeaways.com/Ingredients/Caul%20Fat.htm
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

While on the subject of menudo (which is very good if you don't eat the rubbery bits) etc. What is caul fat? I see it on cooking shows and it looks exactly like honeycomb tripe.

Elise, who longs for Beefaroni
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 17:36:54
RickF: Just goes to prove that the processors of porcine leave nothing except the "oink". I guess everything is usuable and that is a good thing as it is not good to waste. This sorta goes along with why chitterlings and tripe is used.

I am just glad that from my personal choices will not include such delectable items.

RickF, you are a wealth of knowledge. You Google search well.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 18:32:16
U won't regret it Howard, they are especially nice if you carmalize some onions first and stir them in. The finished dish should not be too soupy.

Speaking of swine, I miss the crunchy chicharrones fresh from the cauldron, the kind u have to use a knife to strip some of the fat layer off of. Not like the pork rinds u find in the stores.
Rick F.
RE: Fake food 2003/08/04 20:16:20
quote:
Originally posted by TexicanaSpeaking of swine, I miss the crunchy chicharrones fresh from the cauldron, the kind u have to use a knife to strip some of the fat layer off of. Not like the pork rinds u find in the stores.

In LA they're called "cracklin's" & can be found at the classier truck stops and some grocery stores & meat markets. If you ever head East let me know and I'll guide you--I'm something of a cracklin' connoisseur!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2