Ketchup on a hot dog

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Filet Mignon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/01 18:41:15
Pizza without avocados or pineapple please..
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/06 14:04:46
It's a rainy boring day, so I just thought...

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/06 14:28:47
I had ketchup on a BPT in Iowa! With pickles and raw onions, it hit the spot.
I bet a brick oven baked bun would be just sublime.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/06 14:30:38
I just read an article in the paper that suggested that we substitute fresh Mexican salsa for ketchup because it's more healthful.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/06 15:24:24
MF, what's a BPT? Sounds good though. Maybe some celey salt on mine though?

Don, good idea! Hmmm, what about that Pico D Galyo stuff??? Maybe we need a thread about salsa on a hot dog? Hmmm... maybe not! :~)
Joe

Oh, Davy... is that a wheat bun? Those have becom popular at my house.
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2009/06/06 15:26:39
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/06 15:52:08
BPT > Breaded Pork Tenderloin [Sandwich]

It was a Sara Lee wheat bun and a Ball Park hot dog.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/06 16:11:51
Thanks Davy! Oh... have you tried the new BP Angus dogs? They got rave reviews at my house... less fat. And... served on a wheat bun. And oh, I am no fan of the regular BP's. They were on sale for 99c at my local Brookshires and I bought none. I stocked up on the Angus though... on sale for $1.50.
Joe
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/06 19:03:10
PapaJoe, I don't recall having the Angus. The one I bought was the combo of meats one. I let my wife agonize over the food labels to keep me in line but she is not home this month. She is down in Bolivia, South America getting overfed by the Inca natives in Huancavera.

Isn't low-fat and Roadfood.com an oxymoron?
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/07 13:51:42
Davy, wheat buns / low fat... kinda go together though. I was surprised I liked those Angus BP dogs. They are new Davy. Bolivia... maybe she will bring you back some leftovers? :~)
Joe
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/07 14:18:32
NYP, I just talked w/ an old  friend who's favorite pizza is Pineapple and fresh tomatoes. She is not from NY though. But... her son is a kinda famous chef. She sent me a jar of Hot Mango Salsa. Hmm, what to do? Might be good on an Angus Dog??? Hmmm, or a pizza??? :~)
Joe
QuikFixMeEats
Junior Burger
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/10 14:08:30
I love ketchup.  I put ketchup on my hot dogs sometimes.  There are other times I want my hot dog to be spicy with peppers or a spicy mustard.  It really depends on what I'm craving. 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2009/06/10 14:41:45
PapaJoe8

NYP, I just talked w/ an old  friend who's favorite pizza is Pineapple and fresh tomatoes. She is not from NY though. But... her son is a kinda famous chef. She sent me a jar of Hot Mango Salsa. Hmm, what to do? Might be good on an Angus Dog??? Hmmm, or a pizza??? :~)
Joe
If you want to desecrate your hotdog put some spicy BBQ sauce on it.

I guess if your old friend's sole vice is liking pineapple pizzas  one can live with that.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2011/05/06 20:13:19
So!  Has anybody's opinion changed on this important subject?

Maybe I should start a "Sauce vs Gravy " thread?
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2011/05/06 20:23:11
joerogo

No Joe, you shouldn't, however if you have run accross something called an Orion cooker, I'd love to hear your take on it!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2011/05/06 20:29:11
I think you should post something about gravy on your pasta and sauce on your mashed potatoes.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2011/05/06 20:30:19
chewingthefat

joerogo

No Joe, you shouldn't, however if you have run accross something called an Orion cooker, I'd love to hear your take on it!

Atleast we have our new youtube feature.....

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2011/05/06 20:37:18
He told me thatit just makes him sick when someone puts it on a hot dog.
"God this stuff isn't getting to me - the shootings, the knifings, the beatings. Old ladies being bashed in the head for their social security checks. Nah that doesn't bother me. But you know what does bother me? You know what makes me really sick to my stomach? It's watching you stuff your face with those hotdogs! Nobody - I mean nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog!"

ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2012/05/03 22:38:48
                                           Ketchup Dispensation

In the case of an Italian Hot Dog, going, way, way back to Amato's Italian Hot Dogs first on Hawthorne and then Lyons Avenue in Newark, N.J., Dickie Dee’s in Newark, N.J., the original Jimmy Buff’s in Newark, N.J., and at a slew of  the other IHD purveyors back in the day, one is given dispensation in applying ketchup atop the potatoes.

The caveat is that the ketchup must not touch the frankfurter. I have seen purists pull out their micrometers to make sure such was indeed the case…and even witnessed tube steak enthusiasts piled three deep, taking bets as to whether or not the ketchup on Big Johnny Rensselaer’s double was in violation. What a night…they called in guys from out of state to judge, figuring they’d be impartial.

Well, check this out. Indeed, the ketchup was touching meat. But, aha, Big Johnny had ordered a combo…one dog, one sausage. The ketchup was touching the sausage…not the hot dog. Saved on a technicality. 

Judge Lionel Kettering, who I think was packing, and made no secret of the flask bottle of Calvert Reserve he was swigging from, was whisked out quickly, tossed into a black Eldorado with Nevada plates that said “Louie,” and was  driven to the Pennsylvania border where, instead of going home, he stayed that night with his sister, Minnie, in Easton. Minnie had never wed and taught school.

Judge Kettering eventually retired to rural Utah where he operated a tavern/ luncheonette. Minnie lived to be 93 and once shook President Clinton’s hand. Big Johnny never did much after that, and didn’t even steal cars but occasionally, deciding instead to live on his laurels and dine out on his reputation and from time to time bought booze for underage kids from the suburbs who came to Newark. He died of a heart attack at 50.

I was one of the kids who witnessed the whole thing, known now on The Avenue as “The Great Ketchup Scandal of 1960.”  You can look it up.

I like ketchup a lot. I like a little hamburger on my ketchup. I even get a little on my shirt from time to time. But no, I don’t like ketchup on hot dogs, although, when once in the company of an elite hot dog eating gang at Callahan’s in Clifton, N.J. I made like I was a kid and thoroughly realized the fleeting joy of ketchup on a cheese dog. Mmm!

But no, I don’t generally like the tomato-based condiment on hot dogs… except as noted on an Italian Hot Dog, wherein I always do my best to make sure the ketchup doesn’t touch the hot dog. And if it does, I just hope there’s no one with a micrometer in the joint.

The Bear

post edited by ScreenBear - 2012/05/03 22:39:49
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2012/05/03 23:33:08
At what age do you Bar Mitzvah a young man from putting ketchup on his Hebrew National All Beef to using Mustard?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2012/05/04 08:42:54
Foodbme

At what age do you Bar Mitzvah a young man from putting ketchup on his Hebrew National All Beef to using Mustard?

Huh?
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Ketchup on a hot dog 2012/05/04 10:28:37
Don't know if I get your meaning. However, as a guy down at the creek just this morning, where we watched a Bear chase a fish, agreed, there is a direct correlation between the application of ketchup on franks and the inability to watch black and white movies. 

That is, folks under 30 can neither watch black and white films nor forsake ketchup on their weiners. At 31 comes an epiphany. They become mustard snobs and just can't get enough "Citizen Kane," "Casablanca," and "The Maltese Falcon."  Pass the Gold's N.Y. Deli Style mustard, would you?

The Bear
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7