Chill beer

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Chill beer - Sun, 04/1/07 11:07 PM
Just picked up some of Miller's "Chill Beer": promoted as Mexican Inspired: light beer with a hint of lime and salt. I thought it was pretty insipid - like watered down beer without lime, salt or much of anything else.

Has anyone else tried it?

Texianjoe
  • Total Posts : 639
RE: Chill beer - Mon, 04/2/07 8:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Just picked up some of Miller's "Chill Beer": promoted as Mexican Inspired: light beer with a hint of lime and salt. I thought it was pretty insipid - like watered down beer without lime, salt or much of anything else.

Has anyone else tried it?

I tried it a couple of weekends ago. I have to agree with you it's not as advertised. I drink Miller Lite so it didn't taste too bad to me, but not really what I expected.

I'll stick to Tecate and add my own salt and lime.

joe

hep2thejive
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: Chill beer - Mon, 04/2/07 8:57 AM
Wow - I didn't know this was out there. Kind of a pre-made Michelada?

I only learned about this type of drink a couple of years ago. That's what I get for living in DC I guess. I ordered a Tecate at a Mexican restaurant here in DC and the waiter brought a salt-rimmed, frosted-mug with a lime wedge along with a bottle of Tecate. Man, that was good. Strange thing is I've been there multiple times and that was the only time they served it that way. Next time I go I'll have to ask for it again.

Hep

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Chill beer - Mon, 04/2/07 9:14 AM
In order to make a really good michelada, you need a) tap beer, b) frosty mugs, c) real salt. And, having a dark lager, such as Dos Equis or Negra Modelo, a really robust lager, helps. The Miller product contains none of that. There is a hint of lime in the beer, but as you said, the taste is rather insipid. Which is ok, if you've just done a bunch of lawn work, and you want to take a break, it's a good beer to have to cool off. However, after your recent experience with the Tripel Karmeliet, you may as well have stepped out of a Mercedes S class vehicle, and into a Toyota Corolla.

NYNM
RE: Chill beer - Mon, 04/2/07 9:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by hep2thejive

Wow - I didn't know this was out there. Kind of a pre-made Michelada?

I only learned about this type of drink a couple of years ago. That's what I get for living in DC I guess. I ordered a Tecate at a Mexican restaurant here in DC and the waiter brought a salt-rimmed, frosted-mug with a lime wedge along with a bottle of Tecate. Man, that was good. Strange thing is I've been there multiple times and that was the only time they served it that way. Next time I go I'll have to ask for it again.

Hep

Just checked a beer blogsite re: Chill

http://www.realbeer.com/blog/?p=406

Apparently its based on the Mexican dink "Chelada" (which I never heard of) and test marketed in AZ, NM, TX, FL and CA. Interesting comments on the site....

NYNM
RE: Chill beer - Mon, 04/2/07 9:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

In order to make a really good michelada, you need a) tap beer, b) frosty mugs, c) real salt. And, having a dark lager, such as Dos Equis or Negra Modelo, a really robust lager, helps. The Miller product contains none of that. There is a hint of lime in the beer, but as you said, the taste is rather insipid. Which is ok, if you've just done a bunch of lawn work, and you want to take a break, it's a good beer to have to cool off. However, after your recent experience with the Tripel Karmeliet, you may as well have stepped out of a Mercedes S class vehicle, and into a Toyota Corolla.

Hey, T, I'm nothing if not eclectic!!

I'm in Santa Fe this morning, fly back to NYC later, sleep tunraround and then off to Bruges tomorrow night! (Jet lag, huh?)
Should I order a michelada in Belgium?

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Chill beer - Mon, 04/2/07 10:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Hey, T, I'm nothing if not eclectic!!

I'm in Santa Fe this morning, fly back to NYC later, sleep tunraround and then off to Bruges tomorrow night! (Jet lag, huh?)
Should I order a michelada in Belgium?

Sure, and on the way to Albuquerque airport, make sure you stop off at the Five and Dime on the plaza, and order some steamed mussels, with a Rochefort 8.

Please take plenty of pictures while in Bruges, and share them. My mom just got back from a vacation there about a year ago, and keeps telling me it was her favorite European city. Problem is, she took no pictures to prove it. Enjoy your Tripel Karmeleit, steamed mussels, and pommes frites while you are there. Don't forget to visit the monasteries. Going from New Mexico to Belgium is about as radical a change as going from New Mexico to .... Vermont.

NYNM
RE: Chill beer - Tue, 04/3/07 8:35 AM
T: Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out at 5-10 in ABQ: probly right next to the green chile beef jerky, right?