State snack?

hawkeyejohn
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Reward points : 0
State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 11:55 AM
Our governor of Illinois has just signed a bill designating popcorn as a state snack. How stupid. First, that time and money was wasted on designating something insignificant as that and second, popcorn? Where does he think he is, Indiana? The state snack should be a Chicago Hot Dog.

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 11:57 AM
Popcorn is ubiquitous to every state isn't it? I don't know if Texas has an offical state snack, but it should probably be nachos.

Texicana
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 12:04 PM
Texas and nachos, Lonestar, that's perfect, considering they were originated in Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras, by Ignacio Anaya.

I live in Kentucky now, and I'm trying to decide what would be considered the state snack here... Mayor, anyone else from the Bluegrass state wanna suggest something?

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 12:09 PM
I don't know if we have an official state snack but I don't think it could be anything other than pretzels. Pennsylavnia has the highest annual per capita consumption of them in the country - about 6 lbs.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5055
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 12:14 PM
If it's not already , the state snack for Georgia should be BOILED PEANUTS.

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 1:38 PM
I just checked the state of MD's website. They list all of the state's symbols there. No state food or state snack listed, but apparently MD does have a state drink--milk--and a state crustacean--the blue crab. Not sure I agree with the drink, but the crustacean is quite appropriate, no?

St. Louis Browns fan
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 1:59 PM
Get your cholesterol here in Wisconsin, where the state snacks should be cheese curds, summer sausage and frozen custard.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:10 PM
Rhode Island has a State Drink too: Coffee Milk!

Texicana
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:18 PM
After much thought I would nominate Modjeskas as the state snack, created in Louisville.

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:20 PM
I'm not sure if we have a state snack here in South Carolina ... although we must have one, cause the idiots that run this state always seem to find the time to pass legislation naming a state flower, state song, state rock, etc. ! However when it comes time to pass legislation to create a balanced budget or education reform they just can't seem to get around to it !!

If we do have a state snack, it is most likely Pork Rinds

Wiseguy
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:21 PM
It's just a publicity stunt as far as I'm concerned.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:27 PM
meowzaart,

When I was growing up the steamed crab would have been considered a snack. You had your dinner & went out later & brought home steamed crabs for a snack but with todays prices of $30 to $75 a dozen they definitely qualify as main course fare.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:43 PM
I'm with RubyRose on this one. It's gotta' be pretzels here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

I don't know if we have an official state snack but I don't think it could be anything other than pretzels. Pennsylavnia has the highest annual per capita consumption of them in the country - about 6 lbs.

Mayhaw Man
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:57 PM
$30 to $75 a dozen? For blue crabs? Surely these prices are for some kind of gourmet giant crab? If not, I am shipping them to where ever you are. I can get em anywhere in SOuth Louisiana for a buck or so a pop. Now crab meat, that's another story, it is big bucks unless you pick it yourself

jgleduc
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:57 PM
If I'm not mistaken, RI has two state drinks: not only coffee milk but frozen lemonade as well. I'm not sure about a state snack, but clamcakes would do, if they aren't it already.

Lone Star
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 2:59 PM
Mayhaw man - for the price of some chicken necks and some string you can have all you can eat!

wanderingjew
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 3:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jgleduc

If I'm not mistaken, RI has two state drinks: not only coffee milk but frozen lemonade as well. I'm not sure about a state snack, but clamcakes would do, if they aren't it already.

Actually Coffee Milk is considered the "official" state drink. I'm sure Del's came in a very close second. Clamcakes...or for that matter doughboys would probably work as a state snack

Lone Star
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 3:35 PM
Two questions:

1. What are Modjeskas?

2. What is Coffemilk? Is it like chocolate milk but coffee flavored?

Texicana
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 3:44 PM
Modjeskas are dark carmel covered marshallow candies named in honor of Helena Modjeska, a polish actress of yore. Bourbon balls are also a Kentucky specialty, but don't drive after having most of a box of those.

wanderingjew
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 3:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Two questions:

Yes, Coffee milk is milk with coffee flavored syrup. Just about every local restaurant and diner serves it here in Rhode Island. Kids love it!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 4:09 PM
Boiled peanuts for FL too. All to often we have deep fried okra as a late night snack as well. Oops, then there's sunflower seeds(in the shell)of course, watermelon, too many options. BTW, blue crabs are $60 per bushel right now.

ocdreamr
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 4:20 PM
Mayhaw, Lone star & Rusty,

the price I quoted is for already steamed crabs in sizes we used to get regularly when I was a kid. (by the way most of them already come from Texas & LA, the Bay is becoming over crabbed) I had some that were about $10 a dozen early in the season but I had to steam myself & 2 of them would make one the size we used to get. One of the things I'm looking forward to after I retire is being able to getting out & doing a bit of chicken neckking

hermitt4d
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 4:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Two questions:

Yes, Coffee milk is milk with coffee flavored syrup. Just about every local restaurant and diner serves it here in Rhode Island. Kids love it!

Got a bottle of Autocrat in the fridge right now but have never used it in milk. I save it for Coffee Cabinets (made with Blue Bell Coffee Ice Cream).

hermitt4d
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 4:38 PM
quote:

Popcorn is ubiquitous to every state isn't it? I don't know if Texas has an offical state snack, but it should probably be nachos.

There's no official state snack listed among the symbols by the Texas State Library or in the Handbook of Texas. Call the Senators back from NM! This is reason for another special session!

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 4:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

meowzaart,

When I was growing up the steamed crab would have been considered a snack. You had your dinner & went out later & brought home steamed crabs for a snack but with todays prices of $30 to $75 a dozen they definitely qualify as main course fare.

I was at the Baltimore's farmer's market on Sunday and saw crab for about 14 bucks a dozen but they were so small, that I would not even consider buying them and wasting my time or money. For Maryland's affordable snack food I guess I would vote for those dreadful snowcones or snowballs that people around here stand in line to buy!
My grandchildren love the bright blue ones which are "bubblegum" and my 3 year old grandson sometimes goes for "Spiderman" which is the most horrid purplish black color that I have ever seen!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 4:50 PM
ocdreamer:

You can definetly forget having them steamed unless you go to a grocery store that sells blue crabs. To get them really fresh you buy them from road side markets where they put them in a paper grocery sacks and you listen to those live critters scratch all the way home. Steam em' yourself with some corn on the cob, sausage, new potatoes...which of course is done outside.....hence, here comes the neighbors! And size, yes, small. Might as well plan on making a day of it.

Lone Star
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 4:57 PM
Hermit - I think they are too busy roadfooding in ABQ.

Besides, there are more important issues. One congresswoman this week has voiced her opinion that the National Hurricane Center does not have enough ethnic diversity when naming storms.

M&M
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 6:36 PM
I guess a snack, the offical nut of Missouri is the walnut. See this link for other offical foods. http://www.geobop.com/Symbols/food/index.htm

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 7:16 PM
quote:

Lone Star, you piqued my interest with this. I did a little investigation, and found that thanks to this year's legislative session, we now have an official state snack.

Chips and salsa.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/news/release.php?id=410

One more reason to illustrate why we only let these clowns meet every two years.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3556
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 8:40 PM
For California.......Twinkies
After all, we're the state where they used the twinkie defense.......

jgleduc
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 8:42 PM
quote:
wanderingjew writesActually Coffee Milk is considered the "official" state drink. I'm sure Del's came in a very close second. Clamcakes...or for that matter doughboys would probably work as a state snack

You're quite right. For some reason I had it in my head that the legislature voted them both in as a tie, but it is indeed coffee milk. I was working at the State House around that time, I ought to remember better.

While I love Del's - I especially like to go to their place on Oaklawn Ave. - the best frozen lemonade I've had is from the truck that is always (during the summer season) in the lot of the park by Point Judith lighthouse. It's really lemony, not just frozen sugar water.

As for coffee milk, I still love it, though I miss the old Eclipse bottles. I always find it entertaining to see kids from out of state at Brown discovering coffee milk - they are always confused by it.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: State snack? - Tue, 08/5/03 10:48 PM
Texicana
I live on the Hoosier side of the River within sight of Louisville.
Popcorn is THE SNACK for the Hoosiers, as pointed out in the original post at the top of the list...but not said in jest. Folks here grow A LOT of popcorn and ship it by the trainload out of the area.
For Kentucky, Bourbon Balls are a regional speciality...but I don't think they are consumed in large quantities....tooooo expensive!!
I am not aware of an Official Snack for the KY Folks.

Texicana
RE: State snack? - Wed, 08/6/03 8:50 AM
Maybe it should be Mountain Dew

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: State snack? - Wed, 08/6/03 10:10 AM
In Northern NJ, the snack would be Hostess Cupcakes, once you go south of Trenton, it changes to TastyKakes!

wanderingjew
RE: State snack? - Wed, 08/6/03 10:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

In Northern NJ, the snack would be Hostess Cupcakes, once you go south of Trenton, it changes to TastyKakes!

Don't ya mean Drakes Cakes Hostess is nationally distributed.

mek
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: State snack? - Wed, 08/6/03 10:34 AM
I nominate Berger's chocolate creme cookies for the Maryland State Snack.

mek
RE: State snack? - Wed, 08/6/03 10:35 AM
or Fisher's caramel popcorn.

meowzart
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: State snack? - Wed, 08/6/03 11:39 AM
mek, I second both your suggestions! Excellent ideas!! Now we just have to figure out whom in our state legislature is a foodie and get him or her to act on this!

For those of you who aren't familiar...

http://www.bergercookies.com/
and
http://www.fisherspopcorn.com/index.htm

ocdreamr
RE: State snack? - Wed, 08/6/03 11:47 AM
Any woman in her right mind or maybe I should say in chocolat deprivation would know to nominate the Berger's. The Fisher's is a good runner up but unless you do mail order, it's not always available. Since it's hard to eat just one Berger I am really glad that you can find them in packages of two now.

mek
RE: State snack? - Wed, 08/6/03 12:00 PM
meowzart and ocdreamer,

Yes, when I visit Marylanders who now live in other states, they all ask me to bring them Berger's !