Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Post
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
2007/04/13 22:04:35
Being from Florida with family in Boston and Maine, whenever we go up there to visit (summertime if possible) everyone says that we have to get a lobster roll. This forum too. So I do. I have not been impressed. I love steamed, broiled or boiled lobster when it's warm or hot and eat it as often as I can when visiting up there. Tastes fantastic. For me, cold, cool or room temp lobster has only the texture and doesn't have that great lobster flavor to justify the high cost of the roll. Tried one in November '06 at the Clam Shack in Ipswich (full-bodied clams were great) and was not impressed. Over the years I have tried places along the Maine coast and Boston trying to find out what everyone is talking about. Butter or mayo based sauces don't increase the flavor for me. Should I have them warm the lobster for me before they put it in the roll or are my taste buds just shot? Should I just give up and stick with whole steamed lobsters?
Honestly, what am I missing?




mollydingle
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/13 22:45:20
That's OK. If they don't float your boat, they don't float your boat. I don't like clams, which is sorta like admitting you kick puppies.
Enjoy what you like- the rest of us will eat lobster rolls and enjoy them!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/13 23:21:44
Puleeeeze! A well made lobster roll is one of the simplest and most pleasurable of all "roadfood" delights.
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/13 23:54:23
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

Puleeeeze! A well made lobster roll is one of the simplest and most pleasurable of all "roadfood" delights.


I have read statements like this countless times, but no one ever goes on to say why they like them or what makes them great. Explain please.
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 01:04:36
Lobster Roll from Red's Eats in Wiscasset is one of the great culinary delights of the modern world. perfectly cooked, super fresh, ice cold, melt in your mouth lobster, barely needs any butter, the buttered nissan roll is perfectly grilled, the roll is overflowing with lobster meat, dab the top of the roll with one small line of drawn butter and you are in heaven. no mayo, no nothing. just clean, brine-y, fresh fresh fresh lobster meat. pure. perfect. i have not had a Red's yet this season (are they open yet?), but i hope to eat tons of them soon. i can easily eat 2 Red's Lobster rolls in a sitting (and though expensive, i believe they are worth every penny), and still have room to finish my daughter's grilled cheese and fries... beyond that, it's tough to achieve that kind of lobster roll perfection. in season in maine, when fresh, however, you can get an excellent lobster roll at any number of places (even moody's diner, in season, has a nice cheap lobster roll). but few can come close to red's- sea basket down the road is quite good too, but red's is king, imho... hope that helps some... enjoy fb
C Turner Joy
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 01:49:12
quote:
Originally posted by FrankBooth

Lobster Roll from Red's Eats in Wiscasset is one of the great culinary delights of the modern world. perfectly cooked, super fresh, ice cold, melt in your mouth lobster, barely needs any butter, the buttered nissan roll is perfectly grilled, the roll is overflowing with lobster meat, dab the top of the roll with one small line of drawn butter and you are in heaven. no mayo, no nothing. just clean, brine-y, fresh fresh fresh lobster meat. pure. perfect. i have not had a Red's yet this season (are they open yet?), but i hope to eat tons of them soon. i can easily eat 2 Red's Lobster rolls in a sitting (and though expensive, i believe they are worth every penny), and still have room to finish my daughter's grilled cheese and fries... beyond that, it's tough to achieve that kind of lobster roll perfection. in season in maine, when fresh, however, you can get an excellent lobster roll at any number of places (even moody's diner, in season, has a nice cheap lobster roll). but few can come close to red's- sea basket down the road is quite good too, but red's is king, imho... hope that helps some... enjoy fb



Damn. Said.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 06:32:50
Having been in the lobster biz, I don't really see the allure of a "lobster roll" either. I used to dive for lobsters off of Newburyport and liked to eat them quite simply, steamed, with butter. Forget the bread, the mayo and the celery. Just bring on the lobster!!
acornlover
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 07:26:44
Just a heads up , I think I read in my Lincoln County News that Red's opens for the season April 16, I hope to get there before the lines are too long!

KB
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 07:48:36
Personally speaking ... I LOVE lobster, especially Maine lobster.

But, for MY part, give ME the lobster ... YOU keep the bread and all the other "stuff" that gets in the way of the wonderful lobster meat!
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 08:30:55


Maybe you should see your Doctor and have a lenguoscopy/tongue exam...

I have not eaten the prerequisite amount of Lobster rolls here in New England due to my thrifty nature. I will go for fried belly clams instead. For the price of a whole lobster compared to a roll, you will have twice the meat. You can make two rolls for the price of one. Since you don't care for them, you can have a nice dinner instead.

You really want to know why they are so boring to you? You're from the south where spices and seasonings are prevalent. There is no hot sauce on most of the tables up here.

mark
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 10:52:24
Aw, shucks! Cain't anyone just say, "they taste great"!
Sure, I love a whole steamed 2 pounder just as much as the next guy (or, gal).
But, a lobster roll is a totally different eating experience.
Kinda like comparing a great cheeseburger, loaded with onions and all the fixuns on a great bun to a plain hamburger steak dinner. Get it?



Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 11:32:17
Try a Connecticut-style lobster roll. A real one. That's hot buttered lobster overflowing a buttered bun.
planojim
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 15:41:54
I'm with you dadetigl. There have been several places that I've been to, that people have raved about, where you eat and go....meh.

I won't name names because people get all up in arms..."how dare you not like that. That place is awesome." and it's like you called thier child ugly or something.

just put it down to different strokes for different folks.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 15:54:35
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill
[brI guess what I am saying is . . . WHAT THE HELL are you talking about?

Seems pretty clear to me. He's saying that he can understand the fact that the poster didn't care for the lobster rolls he or she had.
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:06:59
Ok, hypothetically, suppose the owner of a great seafood restaurant comes up to your table and sets down the BEST steamed lobster with butter AND the BEST lobster roll side by side and says it's on the house but you can only eat one or the other, not both. Which would you choose? Don't think about price (it's free) or quantity. Just which one you like the best.
Maybe it's an unfair question, but steamed lobster w/ butter for me.
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:47:10
quote:
dadetigl Posted - 04/13/2007 : 22:04:35
Honestly, what am I missing?

Lobster rolls ....................... I think I see dadetigl's dilemma................. he/she had eaten a lobster roll in November ............. a cold rainy day in northeast Mass is not the place to be eating a lobster roll..... that's hot chowder weather.
Lobster rolls are a summer kind of thing............. cool lobster,soft bun, a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ hummmmmmmmmmmmm now that's when a lobster roll is to be eaten.
It's the same reason a hot-dog tastes so good at a ballpark.............. know what I mean?
iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:48:14
The steamed lobster !
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:56:09
quote:
Originally posted by dadetigl

Ok, hypothetically, suppose the owner of a great seafood restaurant comes up to your table and sets down the BEST steamed lobster with butter AND the BEST lobster roll side by side and says it's on the house but you can only eat one or the other, not both. Which would you choose? Don't think about price (it's free) or quantity. Just which one you like the best.
Maybe it's an unfair question, but steamed lobster w/ butter for me.

The lobster roll for me. I don't care for steamed lobster, unless I'm going to use the meat for lobster rolls or for stuffing a broiled or baked lobster.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 17:57:35
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
dadetigl Posted - 04/13/2007 : 22:04:35
Honestly, what am I missing?

Lobster rolls ....................... I think I see dadetigl's dilemma................. he/she had eaten a lobster roll in November ............. a cold rainy day in northeast Mass is not the place to be eating a lobster roll..... that's hot chowder weather.
Lobster rolls are a summer kind of thing............. cool lobster,soft bun, a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ hummmmmmmmmmmmm now that's when a lobster roll is to be eaten.
It's the same reason a hot-dog tastes so good at a ballpark.............. know what I mean?

Obviously, you've never eaten a real lobster roll -- hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun.
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 19:00:42
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
dadetigl Posted - 04/13/2007 : 22:04:35
Honestly, what am I missing?

Lobster rolls ....................... I think I see dadetigl's dilemma................. he/she had eaten a lobster roll in November ............. a cold rainy day in northeast Mass is not the place to be eating a lobster roll..... that's hot chowder weather.
Lobster rolls are a summer kind of thing............. cool lobster,soft bun, a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ hummmmmmmmmmmmm now that's when a lobster roll is to be eaten.
It's the same reason a hot-dog tastes so good at a ballpark.............. know what I mean?

Obviously, you've never eaten a real lobster roll -- hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun.


Had one buttered roll but it wasn't hot and the others had some kind of Mayo based sauce on them and all I tasted was the mayo. So if I ever happen to stop in a place that serves the "hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun", I will give it one more shot. It is an expensive quest.

Maybe I'll try making roll at home sometime. Anything on it besides butter?

Yes, a warm or hot, hot dog at the game is great. A cool or cold hot dog at the ballpark? No.

It's he by the way.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 19:02:02
quote:
Originally posted by dadetigl

Ok, hypothetically, suppose the owner of a great seafood restaurant comes up to your table and sets down the BEST steamed lobster with butter AND the BEST lobster roll side by side and says it's on the house but you can only eat one or the other, not both. Which would you choose? Don't think about price (it's free) or quantity. Just which one you like the best.
Maybe it's an unfair question, but steamed lobster w/ butter for me.


I think the whole point is being overlooked here. This is NOT a lobster roll/steamed lobster dinner debate.
Mearly that, "dadetigl" doesn't understand the passion some of us have for lobster rolls. To decide which to eat per the above thread, I would have to know if I was sitting down to a lobster "dinner" or, grabbing a roadfood lobster roll for a quick lunch. Does that not make any sense?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 19:09:56
quote:
Originally posted by dadetigl
[brHad one buttered roll but it wasn't hot and the others had some kind of Mayo based sauce on them and all I tasted was the mayo. So if I ever happen to stop in a place that serves the "hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun", I will give it one more shot. It is an expensive quest.

Maybe I'll try making roll at home sometime. Anything on it besides butter?



There's nothing on a Connecticut-style lobster roll but lobster and butter. You take cooked lobster meat and you warm it in melted butter. You take a regular or New England-style (top-split, as opposed to side split)hot dog bun and you butter the outside and toast the bun on a grill or griddle, and then you pile in the buttered lobster meat. It's simple, it's hot, it's messy and it is wonderful.
planojim
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 19:47:02
bungling bill, I'll type slower this time so you can understand.

People that rave about restaurants or certain foodstuffs seem to get offended when you don't like what they do. In this case, a lobster roll.

Personally, I don't get the allure. But, a lot of people like them.

different strokes for different folks.
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 21:28:09
quote:
Michael Hoffman Posted - 04/14/2007 : 19:09:56

There's nothing on a Connecticut-style lobster roll but lobster and butter. You take cooked lobster meat and you warm it in melted butter. You take a regular or New England-style (top-split, as opposed to side split)hot dog bun and you butter the outside and toast the bun on a grill or griddle, and then you pile in the buttered lobster meat. It's simple, it's hot, it's messy and it is wonderful.


Obviously, you've never eaten a real lobster roll -- cool lobster,soft bun, a little mayo a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ some where on the east coast far far away from any Connecticut Yankee who wouldn't know a real lobster roll if it hit him in the backside
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 21:43:07
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
Michael Hoffman Posted - 04/14/2007 : 19:09:56

There's nothing on a Connecticut-style lobster roll but lobster and butter. You take cooked lobster meat and you warm it in melted butter. You take a regular or New England-style (top-split, as opposed to side split)hot dog bun and you butter the outside and toast the bun on a grill or griddle, and then you pile in the buttered lobster meat. It's simple, it's hot, it's messy and it is wonderful.


Obviously, you've never eaten a real lobster roll -- cool lobster,soft bun, a little mayo a bright summer day over looking a cobalt blue sea................ some where on the east coast far far away from any Connecticut Yankee who wouldn't know a real lobster roll if it hit him in the backside

If I wanted lobster salad I'd get it on a plate.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 21:48:15
Dadetigl - Everyone has thier own opinion, you may not like lobster rolls, there is no need trying them over and over again if you do not like them. Stick with the whole lobster or tail.

I have eaten lobster rolls both warm and cold, both sizz and Michael Hoffman make valid points.

Sizz, you are right about eating a lobster roll on a warm summer day staring into the cobalt blue sky being comparable to a hot dawg at a ballpark.

MH you are right when describing the Connecticut roll, simple and delicious



Dadetigl - you will never find an exact answer for everyone's tastes are different. Stick with what you enjoy. Experiment occaisionally but if you don't like the results stick to your original thoughts.

As for me, a Maine style Lobster "salad" type roll in the summer is awesome, a connecticut style buttered lobster roll, is good any time.
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:01:35
This is great. I love the banter. It seems that I have really stepped in the doggy-do this time by dissing a true Northeastern institution. Aka, the lobster roll.

Doggydaddy actually said that us "Southerners" would not appreciate the lobster rolls because we use "spices, seasonings and hot sauce" in our food. I grew up in Ohio and the joke there was that the ONLY spices and seasonings were salt and pepper. Maybe the south should secede again from the north based on our culinary tastes. :) You keep the lobster rolls and we will keep our crawfish and shrimp boils.

iqdiva
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:16:08
Doggydaddy,I am a born and bred S.E.Alabamian.And,I do indeed profoundly appreciate a New England lobster roll...My mother's younger sister married a nice gentleman from Lewiston,Maine in 1945...We have visited Maine several times ( they now live in Greene,Maine)and my late mother,husband and I can truthfully say that we all adore lobster rolls !
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:31:06
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by dadetigl
[brHad one buttered roll but it wasn't hot and the others had some kind of Mayo based sauce on them and all I tasted was the mayo. So if I ever happen to stop in a place that serves the "hot buttered lobster on a grilled, buttered bun", I will give it one more shot. It is an expensive quest.

Maybe I'll try making roll at home sometime. Anything on it besides butter?



There's nothing on a Connecticut-style lobster roll but lobster and butter. You take cooked lobster meat and you warm it in melted butter. You take a regular or New England-style (top-split, as opposed to side split)hot dog bun and you butter the outside and toast the bun on a grill or griddle, and then you pile in the buttered lobster meat. It's simple, it's hot, it's messy and it is wonderful.


Sounds simple enough, but how do I do the bun? It sounds like the bun is a big part of the overall experience and a hot dog bun won't cut it. Should I buy unsliced white bread and craft my own bun? I know what they look like from experience but we don't see those kind of buns for sale commercially down here.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:51:58
A plain old hotdog bun is standard. In Connecticut, where I grew up, you get them served in both the regular hotdog buns and the New England type buns. Here in central Ohio I can get the New England-style buns that are top cut as opposed to the standard side-cut hotdog buns. And I use both. Just butter the outsides and grill them to get then toasty on the outside. Some people butter the insides and toast them there, too. I find that the buns often come apart when I try that.
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/14 22:53:03
quote:
CajunKing Posted - 04/14/2007 : 21:48:15
I have eaten lobster rolls both warm and cold, both sizz and Michael Hoffman make valid points.

Sizz, you are right about eating a lobster roll on a warm summer day staring into the cobalt blue sky being comparable to a hot dawg at a ballpark.

MH you are right when describing the Connecticut roll, simple and delicious



dadetigl
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 00:39:53
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:
CajunKing Posted - 04/14/2007 : 21:48:15
I have eaten lobster rolls both warm and cold, both sizz and Michael Hoffman make valid points.

Sizz, you are right about eating a lobster roll on a warm summer day staring into the cobalt blue sky being comparable to a hot dawg at a ballpark.

MH you are right when describing the Connecticut roll, simple and delicious






Thank you MH for your advise. I will try to make them at home. Living in Ohio. I grew up in Cincy from '55-'73. We didn't know what seafood was back then unless it was frozen solid. Whenever we went out to eat my dad would always ask the waiter if the seafood was fresh. The waiters always got a kick out of that question. AAHHH, but I did grow up with Skyline, White Castles and double decker sandwiches. I guess it all evens out.

Sizz, Boston Harbor will soon be awash, not with tea this time, but lobster rolls. The South shall rise again! :)
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 01:51:56
Being in a landlocked state, I would take either one of them, they both sound FABULOUS. I love all the things in a cold lobster roll, but being a purist, I know I would adore a plain lobster/butter/roll even more. I would turn neither away.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 07:20:05
quote:
Originally posted by planojim

bungling bill, I'll type slower this time so you can understand.

People that rave about restaurants or certain foodstuffs seem to get offended when you don't like what they do. In this case, a lobster roll.

Personally, I don't get the allure. But, a lot of people like them.

different strokes for different folks.


Now I understand, AND I totally agree with you.

Not that I wouldn't eat a lobster roll (I have), but I would NEVER choose a "roll" over a hot steamed lobster with butter.
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 08:13:18


=== Maybe the south should secede again from the north based on our culinary tastes. :) You keep the lobster rolls and we will keep our crawfish and shrimp boils.===


I'll take a shrimp or crawfish Po'Boy over a lobster roll. Now that's good eating....

mark
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 08:23:36
quote:
Originally posted by iqdiva

Doggydaddy,I am a born and bred S.E.Alabamian.And,I do indeed profoundly appreciate a New England lobster roll...My mother's younger sister married a nice gentleman from Lewiston,Maine in 1945...We have visited Maine several times ( they now live in Greene,Maine)and my late mother,husband and I can truthfully say that we all adore lobster rolls !


I did not say what I enjoy, just that I am cheap and feel that a whole steamed lobster is the better value. I like the tactile nature of cracking and picking through a whole lobster...or crab.

If I use -my- definition of roadfood, where the meal is best eaten while in the car, then the lobster roll wins. It is easier to eat one at 70 mph.

mark
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 13:49:57
Although I have enjoyed lobster rolls in Maine (my last "roll" was in Bosn's Landing in York, Maine, I have ALWAYS preferred my lobster meat WITHOUT the bread.

Of course, I will eat lobster (properly prepared) in just about ANY form.

When we travel through Connecticut, we have noted several Roadfood places advertising lobster rolls.

Frankly, we’ve never visited any of them because we’re usually in a hurry to either get TO Maine, or back home FROM Maine (one of our favorite states to visit).

Anyway, for someone interested in how they REALLY do lobster rolls in Connecticut, here’s an interesting link: http://merecat.org/food/dining/lobster-rolls/connecticut/


Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 14:26:22
IMO it's like comparing a hot turkey dinner to a turkey sandwich or a turkey salad sandwich. There's nothing like a good fresh turkey dinner, but I'm not expecting to order one at a roadside stand or nibble one at a picnic buffet and I sure don't want to eat it for lunch on a hot summer day.

Lobster rolls used to be an affordable Summer treat on the coast. They're not a grand fancy entree, although the price can make it seem so. I'd guess it's similar to Oyster Po Boys on the Gulf Coast which used to be poor folks food and from what I've heard now frequently draw a princely sum. With current prices, I tend to limit my lobster consumption to a fresh steamed bug (usually at home). But I'd sure enjoy sitting at a picnic table by the shore eating a lobster salad roll.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 15:02:02
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

Although I have enjoyed lobster rolls in Maine (my last "roll" was in Bosn's Landing in York, Maine, I have ALWAYS preferred my lobster meat WITHOUT the bread.

Of course, I will eat lobster (properly prepared) in just about ANY form.

When we travel through Connecticut, we have noted several Roadfood places advertising lobster rolls.

Frankly, we’ve never visited any of them because we’re usually in a hurry to either get TO Maine, or back home FROM Maine (one of our favorite states to visit).

Anyway, for someone interested in how they REALLY do lobster rolls in Connecticut, here’s an interesting link: http://merecat.org/food/dining/lobster-rolls/connecticut/




I have no idea who this Green guy at the website shown above might be, but he doesn't know diddly-squat about lobster rolls or lobster salad rolls. Hell, he doesn't even know that they do have hot lobster rolls in Maine.

The guy could probably benefit from checking out Roadfood where he'd find reviews of Maine eateries that serve the hot lobster rolls he claims don't exist in Maine. Here are at least three of them listed: Red's Eats, Wiscasset; The Clam Shack, Kennebunkport; and Bob's Clam Hut, Kittery.

This guy is so confused he doesn't even know what he says, himself. Get the following: "I mentioned that some of Connecticut’s lobster rolls are good. By that I mean you can get an authentic Maine-style lobster roll in Connecticut, but these are rare in my experience. That’s because Connecticutians have their own idea of what a lobster roll is. They don’t even have the same name for it."

So, according to thie Green, the lobster roll you get in Connecticut isn't even called a lobster roll in Connecticut. And then he goes on later to talk about ordering lobster rolls in Connecticut. What a mook!

Yessir! He's quite the authority on this subject.

By the way, although I've posted this information in the past, I thought I'd mention it again for those who haven't read about it. The Connecticut lobster roll originated in the 1930s at a place in Milford, Connecticut called Perry's. It was on U.S. 1, the Boston Post Road.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 15:37:55
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

Although I have enjoyed lobster rolls in Maine (my last "roll" was in Bosn's Landing in York, Maine, I have ALWAYS preferred my lobster meat WITHOUT the bread.

Of course, I will eat lobster (properly prepared) in just about ANY form.

When we travel through Connecticut, we have noted several Roadfood places advertising lobster rolls.

Frankly, we’ve never visited any of them because we’re usually in a hurry to either get TO Maine, or back home FROM Maine (one of our favorite states to visit).

Anyway, for someone interested in how they REALLY do lobster rolls in Connecticut, here’s an interesting link: http://merecat.org/food/dining/lobster-rolls/connecticut/




I have no idea who this Green guy at the website shown above might be, but he doesn't know diddly-squat about lobster rolls or lobster salad rolls. Hell, he doesn't even know that they do have hot lobster rolls in Maine.

The guy could probably benefit from checking out Roadfood where he'd find reviews of Maine eateries that serve the hot lobster rolls he claims don't exist in Maine. Here are at least three of them listed: Red's Eats, Wiscasset; The Clam Shack, Kennebunkport; and Bob's Clam Hut, Kittery.

This guy is so confused he doesn't even know what he says, himself. Get the following: "I mentioned that some of Connecticut’s lobster rolls are good. By that I mean you can get an authentic Maine-style lobster roll in Connecticut, but these are rare in my experience. That’s because Connecticutians have their own idea of what a lobster roll is. They don’t even have the same name for it."

So, according to thie Green, the lobster roll you get in Connecticut isn't even called a lobster roll in Connecticut. And then he goes on later to talk about ordering lobster rolls in Connecticut. What a mook!

Yessir! He's quite the authority on this subject.

By the way, although I've posted this information in the past, I thought I'd mention it again for those who haven't read about it. The Connecticut lobster roll originated in the 1930s at a place in Milford, Connecticut called Perry's. It was on U.S. 1, the Boston Post Road.


My, my, my . . . I did not knowingly mean to stir up deep-rooted passions about "Connecticut lobster rolls".

I simply consulted with this person's opinions, a person who supposedly actually regularly visits Connecticut and who has purportedly done some research on "lobster rolls" in that really fine state.

I guess I don't feel comfortable calling him names (a MOOK . . . what the hell is a MOOK?), simply because HIS opinion may differ from mine or from YOURS, for that matter.

Frankly, it seems to me that he has made some REALLY valid points about an area's tastes . . . an area in which HE actually visits . . . and which HE obviously knows about.

Now, if he doesn't know "diddly-squat about lobster rolls", I would probably be the last person on earth to insult him in that manner.

BUT, I guess that his OPINION is as valid as anyone else's .

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 15:45:18
The guy states clearly on his website that he lives in Pennsylvania, not Connecticut as you claim.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 16:01:46
So, after I pointed out that the guy does not live in Connecticut as you claimed you changed you post to reflect that. My, what a surprise.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 16:03:38
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The guy states clearly on his website that he lives in Pennsylvania, not Connecticut as you claim.


Michael, may I call you Mike (easier to spell) . . . I am not CLAIMING anything . . . I just posted a website's address!

I Googled a website about "Connecticut Lobster Rolls", and posted the results of that SEARCH on this site that other folks could read about those delicacies.

Haven't you done that (Googled), Mike?

I don't quite understand why someone else's opinion upsets you so much. [|)]
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 16:09:23
Why waste a roll.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 16:11:34
quote:
Originally posted by luann platter

Why waste a roll.


Well said.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 16:30:46
Mike,

I just Googled "MOOK", and I am appalled that you used that name on this forum, OR on this website!

Of course, I have never before been exposed to such language, and I was not familiar with that incredibly denigrating term.

Perhaps I should move along to another website that does not permit the posting of such vile name-calling.

Would that please you, Mr. Hoffman?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 16:31:25
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The guy states clearly on his website that he lives in Pennsylvania, not Connecticut as you claim.


Michael, may I call you Mike (easier to spell) . . . I am not CLAIMING anything . . . I just posted a website's address!

I Googled a website about "Connecticut Lobster Rolls", and posted the results of that SEARCH on this site that other folks could read about those delicacies.

Haven't you done that (Googled), Mike?

I don't quite understand why someone else's opinion upsets you so much. [|)]

My name is not Mike. What you claimed was that the guy lives in Connecticut, when he states clearly on his own site that he lives in Pennsylvania. When I pointed that out you edited your post to remove your claim. That's dishonest. A person's opinion does not upset me at all. A person making false statements, as Green did, to support his opinion bugs the living Hell out of me.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 16:36:59
Mike:

I think that you REALLY need to calm down, to face the fact that YOUR opinion is not the ONLY opinion on the planet!

Whadda you say, MIKE, can we be friends or WHAT???

Bill
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 16:59:09
Bungling Bill

I have traveled up and down the Maine coast for over 20 years and I have had lobster rolls at many placee. The first lobster roll that I ever had was at this wonderful restaurant west of Bangor, Maine. I had never heard of lobster rolls but saw this on the menu and ordered it. It was about the greatest thing I had ever tasted.........big chunks of lobster in a buttered and toasted roll with melted butter poured over the whole thing. It was wonderful.

I ordered lobster rolls at many places in Maine after that and got the same thing until this one day when my husband and I saw a sign outside of a restaurant advertising the "world's biggest lobster roll". We could not wait to get inside and order one. We ordered it and when we saw it, we were dumbfounded. It was small pieces of lobster mixed with chopped celery and mayonaise. We sent it back and ordered lobster stew.

From then on, we were always careful to make sure how the lobster roll was prepared. There is a lot of difference between lobster salad and lobster roll; just as in a tuna sandwich and a tuna salad sandwich.

I do not care what any writer writes and I do not care what anyone's preference is, but there is a world of difference and I am glad that I know what it is.
gremlin
Junior Burger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 17:14:10
so i shall now settle this great debate.

last sunday the boston globe had a story about how lobster is so insanely expensive now that many many resaurants are not putting it on the menu. and those are fancy high priced restaurants, not road side places. they said they lose a lot of money on lobster. although one place lets you bring in your own to be cooked! byol, heh heh.

so the answer is, NO LOBSTER ROLL FOR YOU! well, maybe a mockster roll, but isn't that a fish roll then? so stop fighting, since i imagine they will be extinct this summer. bummer too, since i love them. made either way.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 17:25:52
Gremlin,

The price of lobster has nothing to do with what a real lobster roll is. Futhermore, there will always be real lobster rolls for those fortunate enough to afford one.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 17:39:25
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin

so i shall now settle this great debate.

last sunday the boston globe had a story about how lobster is so insanely expensive now that many many resaurants are not putting it on the menu. and those are fancy high priced restaurants, not road side places. they said they lose a lot of money on lobster. although one place lets you bring in your own to be cooked! byol, heh heh.

so the answer is, NO LOBSTER ROLL FOR YOU! well, maybe a mockster roll, but isn't that a fish roll then? so stop fighting, since i imagine they will be extinct this summer. bummer too, since i love them. made either way.


Lobsters are far from extinct. They're as plentyful as ever. Those Boston Marketing Executives are trying to make everyone think they're extinct so everyone will pay more for it. This has been a tactic now for about a decade or so.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 17:42:09
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

Mike,

I just Googled "MOOK", and I am appalled that you used that name on this forum, OR on this website!

Of course, I have never before been exposed to such language, and I was not familiar with that incredibly denigrating term.

Perhaps I should move along to another website that does not permit the posting of such vile name-calling.

Would that please you, Mr. Hoffman?


You've never been exposed to such language? A mook is a knuckehead, an idiot, an insignificant or contemptible person. That you've never been exposed to such language is instructive.
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 17:42:51
I don't usually respond to some of these comments, but right now I wish to say, please leave Michael Hoffman alone. He is quite knowledgeable, quite gentlemanly, and more than ready to say he's mistaken when that is the case. But he seldom is mistaken.

He seems to know his subjects or he doesn't put forth an opinion. He doesn't seem to rant but does reasonably explain and justify his opinion.

Let's be friendly, His name is Michael. I for one enjoy and appreciate his offerings to this site.

Donna
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 17:44:44
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

Mike:


I'll say it just one more time. My name is not Mike.
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 19:35:15
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

Let's be friendly, His name is Michael. I for one enjoy and appreciate his offerings to this site.

Donna


Well said Donna, especially the "be friendly" part.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 20:17:37
"CajunKing ducks under the desk at the UN and quietly eats a loberster roll with SIZZ"

Thanks Frank, after the day I had that picture has made me smile all afternoon.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 20:31:06
I think this has been the most unfriendly and contemptous posting I have ever seen on this wonderful site of ours.
All because one poster couldn't understand the passion that some of us hold for lobster rolls.
Instead of discussing the issue of the original poster, we have started to throw rocks at each other for no good reason at all.
All I can say is, STOP YELLING AT EACH OTHER!!!!!
Let's all eat, drink and be friends again.
CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 21:52:32
YEAH WHAT THEY SAID!!!!



"CajunKing offers a spot under his table with Sizz to Twinwillow and then offers a fresh lobster roll"
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Am I missing something with Lobster Rolls? 2007/04/15 22:49:39
quote:
Originally posted by CajunKing

YEAH WHAT THEY SAID!!!!



"CajunKing offers a spot under his table with Sizz to Twinwillow and then offers a fresh lobster roll"


Offer accepted! Now, didn't you say something about a fresh lobster roll?
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2