Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
  • Reward points : 0
Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Sun, 04/15/07 8:51 PM

We purchased a couple of Lamb Rib Racks at Costco last weekend. Two racks cost about $20 total. Since Janet has been down with a flu bug and the weather was nasty, we held off doing the Lamb until this evening.

Hers we seasoned with the Montreal Steak Seasoning she likes so much. Mine was rubbed with Garlic Pepper and Garlic Salt. (I find the Montreal Pepper a bit strong for my tastes).

Seared and Browned in a little Olive oil, and Mine was basted with Coke. Then the two Racks were loaded into a roasting pan and Oven-Finished at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Mine received the dregs from the frying pan and some more Coke to darken and sweeten it a bit.
Served with our Asparagus & Parm. Cheese (A spring favorite in our home).

Here are the results- First the Racks as they came out of the oven..resting! Mine is on the bottom, darker from the Coke basteing but done about the same amount.

Then the Dinner. We love the Spring Veggies with our main course!-

A very nice dinner for two on a lazy Sunday afternoon!! Yes, we did finish it off. Lots of Lamby treats got mixed into the Scotties dry food tonight.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Sun, 04/15/07 9:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We purchased a couple of Lamb Rib Racks at Costco last weekend. Two racks cost about $20 total. Since Janet has been down with a flu bug and the weather was nasty, we held off doing the Lamb until this evening.

Hers we seasoned with the Montreal Steak Seasoning she likes so much. Mine was rubbed with Garlic Pepper and Garlic Salt. (I find the Montreal Pepper a bit strong for my tastes).

Seared and Browned in a little Olive oil, and Mine was basted with Coke. Then the two Racks were loaded into a roasting pan and Oven-Finished at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Mine received the dregs from the frying pan and some more Coke to darken and sweeten it a bit.
Served with our Asparagus & Parm. Cheese (A spring favorite in our home).

Here are the results- First the Racks as they came out of the oven..resting!

Then the Dinner. We love the Spring Veggies with our main couarse!-

A very nice dinner for two on a lazy Sunday afternoon!!

We just did some Costco lamb racks, too.

Mashed garlic and fresh rosemary paste, sit for an hour or so to soak and come to room temp, salt and pepper; then a 500 degree oven to desired cooking temp (actually, feel method, like a steak); a little rest; then under the broiler for a few minutes to finish the crust. Steamed brocolli.

And probably the same nasty weather.

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Sun, 04/15/07 9:25 PM

Thanks Gordon. Are you still in new Jersey. We had a little rain and upper 30's and 40's til this afternoon when it cleared out. Hope you guys are warm and dry back East.

This was our first time doing the Racks "Inside". We were quite pleased with the results.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Sun, 04/15/07 9:27 PM
Those racks were beautiful- we are envious. Please describe to me just what is "rosemary paste". We are familiar with and grow and use rosemary , but the paste is something new to us,

cheers, John

GordonW
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Sun, 04/15/07 11:22 PM
Better to say, garlic chopped and then mashed with the side of a knife, combined with rosemary that is roughly chopped and then bruised a bit, again with the side of the knife. Yes, rosemary would be hard to turn into paste.

In North Carolina now -- the nasty weather is from that big system coming up from the South. The folks in the Northeast especially didn't have a good weekend.

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 12:49 AM

Awesome rack, Al. The Scotties live well.

Thanks for the visual post! I love lamb, but the only one in my family that likes it is my Father-in-law.....a little over 5000 miles away in Winterback, Germany. Needless to say, I don't make it very often here.

DD

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 7:16 AM
Geez Al, you're making me wish I liked Lamb.

John

namret
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 7:42 AM
So how was the lamb? Filet Mignon tender? or what?

Thanks.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 7:47 AM
Unless I make lamb shish kebab PP won't touch the stuff. So no lamb roast for me

Al, looks really good. Where did you get the idea for a Coke baste?

MikeS.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 7:56 AM
Al, that sure does look very appetizing to me. Nice presentation and had I known you were doing such a good job for Sunday dinner, I would have stopped by.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

shortchef
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 8:48 AM
I love lamb. The times I went to France I was in heaven because they know how to make it. And you do, too, Al. I am drooling over that rack of lamb, made rare just the way I like it. One of the good restaurants where I came from used rosemary, butter and bread crumbs on it, Dijon mustard first to hold the crumbs. Lord was it good. Gotta get to Costco soon.

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 10:25 AM

A couple of notes for anyone messing with the Rack for the first time or two.

1. When we have done them on the outdoor grill it is real easy to let them get past the medium stage. These little guys grill very quickly. Keep that Meat Thermometer handy.

2. The Coke baste came from some of the cooking described here on this site. Frankly it added very little, but I think it did 'dress up' the appearance a bit.

3. Janet really likes the Montreal Steak Seasoning. I think it overpowered the lamb in this case. But I don't use much pepper on anything. Jan thought I had too much Garlic on mine. I think the seasoning for a Rack of Lamb needs to 'fit' the consumer of the finished product. We patted the dry seasoning on these racks just before starting the browning stage. Next time I will be marinating the Rack in the Garlic Pepper and Coke mixture for 5-10 minutes before starting the process.

The question about the tenderness of the meat... Yes, It was indeed the soft and very tender 'Filet Mignon' of the Lamb. While just a couple of bites per Rib, when you consider one serving to be a rack of 7 or 8 Ribs, there was enough meat in the rack to fill me up.

We will do this again soon!

C Turner Joy
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 10:58 AM
Those Costco racks are the best. We take them with us when we go camping. Sounds odd, I know. But they're perfect for cooking and eating outdoors. Lolichops.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 11:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by shortchef

I love lamb. The times I went to France I was in heaven because they know how to make it. And you do, too, Al. I am drooling over that rack of lamb, made rare just the way I like it. One of the good restaurants where I came from used rosemary, butter and bread crumbs on it, Dijon mustard first to hold the crumbs. Lord was it good. Gotta get to Costco soon.

That was the first way I learned how to make it too. It is simple and very good. The breaded lamb chops that I showed was based on this. I did not do it as I felt that the breading would not hold as well for sauteing.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19127

mark

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17805
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 12:34 PM
quote:

I use the rosemary, Dijon mustard and breadcrumbs, too.

tarragon
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 3:11 PM
Al, those rack of lamb look sooo good! I love lamb, but rarely get it, because I'm the only one who likes and will eat it, and it's so very expensive. Have to treat myself every once in a while though. You folks sure ate good, I know!

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 3:22 PM
Tarragon,
Trust me, Our food budget doesn't allow for this sort of treat twice a week!! Each of the Racks was under $10, which is about the same as the Porterhouse steaks and the Scallops (per pound), I used in my last two photo exhibits of Sunday dinners in the Bowen Home.
You said it right...We treat ourselves to something good now and then!

Medrare
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 9:28 PM
Those are cooked just the way i like them.

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Mon, 04/16/07 9:37 PM

Thank You , Medrare! And Welcome to Roadfood. We hope you find your visits here to be informative and 'fun'.

I have wanted to try this lamb 'indoor' recipe since OUTBACK dropped their Rack of Lamb from the menu a couple of years ago. They did a nice job with their Lamb whenever we ordered it at the local store. But the Price went above $20 for a dinner and then they dropped it. So now if we want the Rack of Lamb it will be off to Costco (like I need a reason!!) to fetch a little 'baaaaaa' !

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 10:37 AM
Mr Mayor: It mut be just your local Outback that dropped rack of lamb from the menu. In February I had a rack at the Outback on 4th St in St Pete - they do a pretty good job on it - better than they do on their so-called steaks.

Cheers, John

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 10:47 AM

Seafareer
Thanks for the heads up on the Outback Lamb. We did enjoy their lamb several times! I like to use the dipping sauce they put out with their Coconut Shrimp with the Lamb Ribs...It adds a lot to the flavor of the meat.

exsquidao
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 11:15 AM
Mr Mayor did you "French" the ribs yourself or does your Costco do it for you?

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 12:21 PM

No, We didn't 'French' or otherwise trim the Racks of Ribs. They are sold in Cryovac packages and what you see in the photos are the racks as they were done 'direct from the packaging'. I assume whatever trimming was done was done at the packing house. The local store didn't 'handle' the meat directly.

BunglingBill
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 12:41 PM
Those are GREAT photos, but unfortunately, lamb is something I was never able to acquire a taste for. My relatives and neighbors in the South were apparently not exposed to much lamb when I was growing up.

Consequently, when I first tried lamb, probably in my late twenties or so, I didn't like it then and have never been fond of it since.

But, I would guess that if one likes lamb, Al's presentation is about as good as it gets!

GordonW
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 12:44 PM
I was in my Costco yesterday. Racks were $9.99/lb, which translates to about $12 for a cryovac pack of 8 ribs. Not frozen.

And they're frenched and trimmed up top pretty well, so it's not much expensive fat dripping into the pan or getting in the way of the tasty lean.

Not sure what difference it makes, but it's a Kirkland brand on the lamb now, instead of the out-of-store label they had a little while ago. Still from Australia.

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 1:26 PM

Gordon,
In the frozen meat section they have a boxed package of Lamb Rib Racks for $16.50. They are from New Zealand and weigh in at a standard 14 oz each. We thought the Aussie Racks were a better deal, and based on the results we guessed right ! The price comparison I posted above should have been clearer... The Lamb was $9.99 PER POUND as I was comparing to the price of the Porterhouse($6) and Scallops($9)

GordonW
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 10:14 PM
Didn't know they had frozen. Can't imagine it beats the $9.99 stuff.

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Tue, 04/17/07 10:22 PM

The boxes of the New Zealand Ribs were sealed,so we couldn't check the ribs against the Cryovac packages visually...But I can't imagine they would be worth the extra cost for a smaller serving.
We are very pleased at the results of this experiment and will do them again soon !
The Scotties were pleased also !!

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Wed, 04/18/07 1:00 PM
IMO, the Kiwis and Aussies are doing are far better job with this product than we have been doing in the USA. They provide a pre "frenched", attractive package in the self serv case, for impulse buys. The imported racks also have an excellent shelf life. In the USA, only Mountain States/Rosen is doing as good (or better) a job. www.rosenlamb.com The problem is that we don't have enough sheep in the USA , and we don't have enough sheep on a regional basis to support a large efficient processing infrastructure. I have been told by people who know, that Aussie and NZ lamb packing plants are so efficient that the savings almost pay the high cost transport to the USA.

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Wed, 04/18/07 1:29 PM

Tmiles,
To "PiggyBack" (pun intended!) on your packing house comment... When we were talking to Pat Bosley (one of the owners) about the source for the large quantity of Mutton that they BBQ at the Moonlite down in Owensboro, KY, he pointed out that there were no (large volume) sources for the meat locally anymore. He order several thousand pounds a week from Texas and Nebraska to meet the needs of his customers in Kentucky! It is odd that we consider the Mutton-Que to be a smaller regional specialty, but the main dish comes from so far!

As I said earlier, we are quite happy with the Racks of Lamb that we obtained from Costco and hope to do them again soon.

tmiles
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Wed, 04/18/07 4:47 PM
I have been meaning to get down to the Moonlite.....maybe when and if I retire...lol
Anyway, if I knew more, and had more time, I would look into a Mutton BBQ for Massachusetts Day at the Big E this fall. www.millburytravel.vacation.com/custom/index.jsp?cpname=Sheep&gocustom=true The link will tell you about my own small sheep farm in Millbury, Massachusetts. The link will also update as I know more about what we will be doing at the Big E. The success of the Moonlite aside, the marketing of mutton in the USA is a real problem. Ewes (mother sheep) are not culled as often as they should be because they sell for give-away prices. Not many Americans like mutton. The lamb samples at the Big E, will be lamb, not mutton. Once and if, I learn how the Moonlite does it, perhaps we could serve Moonlite style mutton BBQ at the Big E. It would be a good way to get people to try, and I hope like, mutton.

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Wed, 04/18/07 10:17 PM
Sounds like it is time for a roadtrip for you!! I know they do the Mutton in 30-40 lb. Chunks (looks like fore-quarter when I saw it in the cooker.) I know Bosley would be happy to show you the kitchen and the Sheep-Que in progress. Will forward a photo via email.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Thu, 04/19/07 6:36 AM
Mutton must have been pretty popular back in the 50s. My grandmother use to make a mutton stew, {she was Irish} stank to high hell when cooking.
The finished product was damn decent though.
Al, how far is the Moonlite from Chuchill Downs? I may have a chance to score a couple of tickets for the Derby and I may be in that area for a few days for the Event. Chow Jim

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Thu, 04/19/07 9:33 AM
Jim
Moonlite BBQ is on the west side of Owensboro,KY about 100 miles or so west of Louisville (down river). The quickest ride between the two is to use I-64 into Indiana then Exit 79 onto IN-37. Cross the River at Canalton and get on US 60 for the rest of the ride into Owensboro. It may be a few miles longer but avoids a lot of traffic signals and Louisville stop and go stuff.

If you do go, Owensboro is on Central time...an hour earlier than Louisville. Keep that in mind for timing your visit. Their Sunday hours are limited (closing at 3PM). Drop me an email if you decide to go.

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Thu, 04/19/07 8:50 PM
MUTTON......(we ain't talkin bout lamb chops.. Please, I request your blessings. My old Bud and I(wife refused) will be conducting an assault on the Navajo Reservation in search of the best mutton stew and Navajo tacos beginning in 17 days. Truthfully, we're both planning and acting like children for the trip.

tmiles
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Fri, 04/20/07 9:45 AM
rouxdog
That was one of our best trips. (I assume that you are talking about Monument Valley) The store in "town" has the best selection of mutton that I have ever seen, and the Navajo people were wonderful. We stayed and ate at Gouldings Lodge. I got up very early and walked around, examined the deserted runway, and watched the sun rise. It was very interesting to see the tourist planes come buzzing in a couple of hours later.
Take out the old Chevy Chase movie "Family Vacation". It will give you a good taste of what you will see.
Don't miss the "Windtalkers" museum. It is in a McDonadld's in Tuba City (I think, but maybe it is in Kayenta) For those who don't know, or didn't see the movie, the Navajo codetalkers were very important to the Marines during WW II, but because the project remained classified for so long, many Navajo Marines didn't live long enough to get the honor they deserved. I had the honor to serve with several sons of Windtalkers.

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Fri, 04/20/07 4:10 PM
tmiles, thank you so very much. I'm a bit familiar with the area, however you provided a few new tips which I will be making note. Yes, the Navajo people are beautiful and gracious. We bellaganas just need to slow down to appreciate their culture and customs. Codetalkers yes! Much like the Tuskegee airman! I've been privaleged to have a dear friend, one of the original Tuskegee Airmen.
I thank you,
rouxdog
PS..I think Mayor and Mrs. Mayor's dinner looked terrific!

aleswench
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Sat, 04/21/07 4:49 PM
Mr. Mayor - you were the inspiration for dinner tonight! We purchased lamb chops at BJ's today, and I'm going to marinate them in some garlic, lemon, rosemary, s & p, and olive oil. Doing them on the grill, though with some grilled potatos and asparagus. AND also from your inspiration, we FINALLY bought a digital camera. Not nearly as good as yours, but the advice you had emailed me a while ago was a big help. Thank you! For our first food portrait we'll take pictures of tonight's dinner and try to post them

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Sat, 04/21/07 8:49 PM

Sue,
Thanks for the kudos! I know you guys have been very busy with house-hunting etc. I will be looking for a photo of the lamb chops shortly. If I can help with posting, let me know. When you post them, tell us about your new camera,please!
AL

tmiles
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Wed, 04/25/07 1:44 PM
Aussie lamb will be in good supply a little longer, then in short supply for a few years. It has been so dry, down under, that the sheep flocks are getting cut way back, hence the good supply now. Once they get rain, most female lambs will be held back to rebuild, so we will pay with short supplies later. After years of decline, the USA sheep population has started to grow again. If USA growers/packers can do a good job, we may be able to take a little market share back from Australia. We will have to do a VERY good job. The Aussies are using this time to cull deeply, and really improve the national flock. When they come back (after some nice rain)they will strong competition.

LuckyLabrador
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Sun, 04/29/07 5:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

I use the rosemary, Dijon mustard and breadcrumbs, too.

Amen! Me too

mayor al
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Wed, 05/30/07 11:49 AM

We did a second try at the Lamb Rack for Memorial Day dinner for the two of us. No photos this time, I'm sorry to say. We followed the same steps and tried to watch the timing closely. I am amazed at how just ONE minute difference meant so much to the "Doneness Scale" of those little Ribs. Janet's were done 'Just Right'--Pink to Very Pink or what I would call Medium. Mine got a little brown around the edges and deeper into the chop. The center was Pink...but not Soft Pink, or what I call Medium Well on the "Lamb Scale". They were still juicy and very flavorful. We served them with Butter Beans and some Home Fried Potato chunks and onions, browned in the Lamb drippings. They were Outstanding. I think we are ready to try serving these Ribs to some company soon.

Aussie Rack of Lamb price at Costco still $9.99 a pound with our Racks costing about $13 each.

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Rack of Lamb for Sunday Dinner - Wed, 05/30/07 5:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

We did a second try at the Lamb Rack for Memorial Day dinner for the two of us. No photos this time, I'm sorry to say. We followed the same steps and tried to watch the timing closely. I am amazed at how just ONE minute difference meant so much to the "Doneness Scale" of those little Ribs. Janet's were done 'Just Right'--Pink to Very Pink or what I would call Medium. Mine got a little brown around the edges and deeper into the chop. The center was Pink...but not Soft Pink, or what I call Medium Well on the "Lamb Scale". They were still juicy and very flavorful. We served them with Butter Beans and some Home Fried Potato chunks and onions, browned in the Lamb drippings. They were Outstanding. I think we are ready to try serving these Ribs to some company soon.

Aussie Rack of Lamb price at Costco still $9.99 a pound with our Racks costing about $13 each.

No Pictures