Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best}

wesza
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points : 0
Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Wed, 08/6/03 2:21 AM
Has anyone every tried or prepared my favorite Steak. Featured in Australia, it's called "Carpetbag". Made by stuffing a Filet Mignon, with Sydney Rock Oysters, Sauting in Butter with red wine, dash of brandy and Glace de Villand. May be coated with cracked Black Pepper. For some reason the combination tastes much better then it sounds, almost decandently delicious. It's been the most repeat ordered item at almost every restaurant that features this steak.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Wed, 08/6/03 10:35 AM
I'd eat one in a minute, but I'd never try to cook it at home - Can i find a restaurant that serves it this side of Melbourn?

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3581
RE: Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Wed, 08/6/03 12:22 PM
I've always been fascinated by it too. When Outback came here, the first thing I looked on the menu for was carpetbagger steak. Alas, they didn't have it----and I wrote Outback off my list of places to try. Does anyone know where to find it?

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Wed, 08/6/03 1:09 PM
I once had a carpetbag steak in an 'expense account' type Boston steakhouse called Abe and Louie's. It was a special of the day but I think the have it every weekend. It was outstanding.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4484
RE: Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Wed, 08/6/03 10:09 PM
It is featured on the menu pretty much as described herein at a local/historical Restaurant here in Cincinnati called the Vernon Manor.

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Thu, 08/7/03 5:08 PM
I believe I've seen it from time to time in Seattle or Portland....

Eric

wesza
RE: Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Thu, 08/7/03 8:23 PM
Eric: Do you remember any of the places, where you've seen the Carpet Bag Steak in Seattle. I've been in Seattle for 15 years and haven't had any luck, finding it anywhere,. I do prepare it occasionally at home, when i'm able to get small schucked oysters. But that's anticipation eating, not instant gratification.

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Fri, 08/8/03 1:18 PM
Wesza:

Sadly, no. It may have been Jake's in Portland, or one of the McCormick & Schmicks places, or the Ringside....see, these meals all start to blend together after a while.

Eric

wesza
RE: Carpet Bag Steak {Australia's Best} - Fri, 08/8/03 3:41 PM
VibrationGuy: Thanks for the reply. I'm familar with those restaurants, positive it's none of the three. But a Ringside Steak, or some Crawdads at Jakes,something from the fresh sheet at McCormick & Schmick's sounds interesting.