been trying to diet so...

naxet76
  • Total Posts : 351
  • Reward points : 0
been trying to diet so... - Wed, 04/18/07 11:51 PM
usually I have 2 eggs, bacon or sausage, 2 slices of buttered toast and a large glass of chocolate milk for breakfast. let me mention that i'm a 30 year old female about 5'8" who does NOT need to be eating this much!! so now all I've been eating this past week for breakfast is a moderate glass of chocolate milk and two slices of toast. I do love toast, but I miss my eggs...and my french toast, and my pancakes..........

jvsmom
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 12:00 AM
I'm no expert, but I would think that, depending on how you usually prepare your eggs, you shouldn't have to give them up completely. Aren't they a good source of protein? And what kind of toast are you having? Maybe you could alternate - have your toast one day, and eggs the next. Or maybe even one egg and one slice of toast. It would keep things interesting, and therefore you'd be more likely to stick with it.

naxet76
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 12:11 AM
well, i fry my eggs in canola oil usually over-medium. I eat white bread and use Promise butter spread and 1% milk. So far I haven't gotten too tiree because I do LOVE toast and chocolate milk but I do plan on changing things around later if needed. Like cereal or grilled cheese. I'm not saying eggs are bad, it's just that it feels like I HAVE to have everything else with them: sausage, toast milk.... way too much for breakfast everyday, no?

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 1:00 AM
Try this: Eggbeaters omelette with chives and/or mushrooms fried in a little EVOO or, a light butter substitute. Lower fat turkey sausage or bacon.
A good whole grain bread-one slice! Spread with one of the above lipids.
Unsweetened coco sweetened with splenda and made with skim milk.
You will vastly cut down on the calories and fat and still be satisfied.
I know, I am.
Oh, about the french toast, using Eggbeaters and whole grain bread will be just as good as using whole eggs-without the fat laden yokes.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and splenda instead of syrup and enjoy!

xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 12:01 PM
try chocolate soy milk.
i like 8th cont. light soy.
90 calories a glass and all protien.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 12:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by xannie_01

try chocolate soy milk.
i like 8th cont. light soy.
90 calories a glass and all protien.

In addition to the above, I also like "almond milk" sold in all the health food stores. It has the faintest flavor of almond and is very good for you. If you like the flavor of almond, you must try it. I use for all milk purposes. Cereal, coffee, etc.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7399
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 12:51 PM
I drink "soy slender" chocolate soy milk.
70 calories a serving and only one net carb.

The Baker www.the-baker.com has excellent whole grain bread. My favorite is the whole bran and whole flax.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 1:34 PM
naxet76

you are getting rid of the protein but keeping the carbs (choc milk & bread)

I love egg beaters and try a turkey sausage

you do not have to give up the things you like, just change the way you go about getting them.

Twinwillow had some good ideas on how to keep eating what you like, only changing them to make them more healthier.

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 2:13 PM
egg white omelette with chopped onions, and peppers, topped with salsa. Add fat free cheese if you like.

turkey sausage for variety. Canadian bacon is also very lean and low in calories and fat.

whole wheat toast, dry, no butter. fruit.

All healthy and good and filling.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13397
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 6:33 PM
I have done (L&L), lettuce and liquor for several years and it works for me. Lettuce takes like crap but the liquor helps. I have gone from 245 to 175. Other factors have helped though.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

salsailsa
  • Total Posts : 405
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 6:40 PM
One caution about turkey sausage-make sure you read the nutritional analysis before buying-often poultry is ground WITH the skin on- added A LOT of fat into the mix(mind you it is sausage).

I was going to suggest lean ham or as already suggested Canadian Bacon.

Poached eggs are an good low fat prep for eggs. Scrambled egg whites are also good with a few seasonings mixed in.

When frying, try butter flavor cooking spray.

Definately try the whole grain toast- fiber makes you feel fuller. If you're going to put a spread on it, I suggest a bit of light peanut butter as it at least has nutritional value whereas butter/margarine/jam don't.

In the instance of pancakes- try making some whole wheat ones- You can top them with a mashed banana compote made with splenda and cinnamon or strawberry puree. ED Smith makes a diabetic syrup as well. Again, when pan frying them use butter cooking spray.

Also, if you drink coffee watch what your putting in your cup- switch to milk if you use cream- if you don't see milk in a restaurant just ask- go with artificial sweetner if you normally have sugar.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 6:56 PM
Eat half of everything.
When in restaurants, order the plate of whatever, eat half. Order a piece of cheesecake, eat half.

Sundancer7
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 7:01 PM
In recent years I have found that I eat very much less than I use to. I always order just a small portion and at the end , I find that I am very full.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 8:22 PM
Some terrific advice has been stated for all of us! Naxet76, thanks for posting your concern!
When I was 30(for my current age you can double that and add four)I was probably at my lifetime highest weight. Not obese by any means, just not the athletic person I had been and wished to continue to be. Today,I weigh less than I did when I was 30. I enjoy FOOD! Why else would one follow the posts on this website? My suggestion is "learn about nutrition and discipline yourself, hold your head high and be proud of your accomplishment"!
Here's a breakfast suggestion which helped me get on the right track. Some folks like it, others gag on the idea. You like eggs, so do I. Go purchase eggs, a small can of spinach, a can of herdez salsa, and a loaf of wholegrain bread........... In the AM, poach one or two eggs,heat the spinach, toast the bread(no butter).Assembly, toast on plate,heated spinach atop, place well drained eggs above and top off with whatever amount of Herdez you wish!The more the better!
Ole Rouxdog

artphon
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 9:37 PM
I tried the "eat half" approach but I felt bad about wasting food (I would take it home and never eat it). So now in a restaurant, I only order an appetizer..sometimes an appetizer and a small-sized salad. Where I live (New Haven, CT) there are many excellent restaurants with long lists of appetizers/small plates/tapas. I drink a glass of wine and savor every bite. But I eat an incredible variety of delicious food, and have never enjoyed eating so much. I've lost 70 lbs in the last year and a half. For breakfast, I usually eat (Silver Palate) oatmeal, Vietnamese Sriracha (hot chili garlic) sauce (the one with the Rooster on the bottle), and a grilled chicken andouille sausage. Or I make scrambed egg whites wiith onions, longhorn chiles, a rasher or two of reduced fat bacon, and maybe some cheese. Then I roll it in a grilled (under the broiler) low carb tortilla or pita.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 10:10 PM
What's a longhorn chile?

Beer&Snausages
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/19/07 10:29 PM
I've had great luck with the Podcasts from Scott Smith (Daily Boost & Motivation to Move) and the folks and support at http://www.motivationtomove.com/forums.

Especially the 100 days of Exercise challenge to keep me focused and putting one foot in front of the other.

artphon
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: been trying to diet so... - Fri, 04/20/07 8:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

What's a longhorn chile?

I assume it is a bastardization of the term 'long hot' chilis, but I have seen the term 'longhorn' used in Italian restaurants in the New Haven area. The chilis are long, green and quite variable in hotness, so there is always the surprise element... which I like. I buy them in an Asian market, and have ordered them in a Szechuan resturant sauteed with vinegar and salt. In an italian restaurant, I have had them sauteed in olive oil with lots of sliced garlic, and chunks of Asiago added at the end. I buy a whole bunch, char them in the broiler and put them in the freezer. Then I use them for oatmeal, or saute them for dinner in either Asian and Italian versions.

I'll take a photo before and after charring next time.

naxet76
RE: been trying to diet so... - Fri, 04/20/07 9:48 AM
I love this website. You all are so wonderful! thanks for the tips everyone. this morning I had 1 egg, 1 toast and my Ovaltine (btw, i'm not a coffee drinker at all!). I never considered poaching!? I'll try that next time. Rouxdog, I loved your idea even though i'm not too much of a spinach fan...I'll try it anyway. As for whole grain bread........oh....i just can't get used to the taste. But I promise all of you that as soon as I finish this white loaf I will buy whole grain and stick to it!!! love you guys, thanks!!!!!

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
RE: been trying to diet so... - Fri, 04/20/07 12:20 PM
Naxet76......... A recent blessing has been bestowed upon we consumers, whole grain white bread. Does not at all give me the feeling that I'm grazing with our Longhorn cattle. I truly enjoy this relatively new product. Some folk find eggs benedict to be special(I do), however I prefer, and consider my concoction at least as special. Don't recall where my simple breakfast came from, a recipe or just my idea, doesn't matter, it works for me. Hopefully for you. As stated, drain the eggs well. Earlier I failed to mention to squeeze the water from the spinach as well, let the herdez add the the delicious spicy and flavorful moisture. If spinach isn't to your liking, think, look around find a substitute. Remember your goal and select ingredients WHICH FIT your new determination! Herbs and spices are precious to me. Their use far out way those things you've indicated you wish to move away from. Please don't misunderstand, I enjoy most all food prepared well. Tonight, I'm making beef enchiladas with all the fixins from scratch. I wish you much success. You aren't sacrificing anything, you're readjusting habits!
Ole Rouxdog

Neesie
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: been trying to diet so... - Tue, 04/24/07 11:55 AM
Naxet76, if you are going to try poached eggs you might want to buy a little device that lets you cook the eggs in your microwave. Its a little plastic double-cup thing-ie that you might find in your grocery store by other microwave dishes or timers, etc. I spray mine with a little cooking spray, break the eggs into a coffee cup or dish (one at a time) and pierce the yolk with a fork (to keep it from exploding in the microwave). Microwaves vary, but I know that mine takes a minute to cook two poached eggs. I think its simply called a Microwave Egg Poacher.

naxet76
RE: been trying to diet so... - Tue, 04/24/07 11:36 PM
Thanks neesie. FYI everyone, I bought 100% whole grain bread the other day. I've been eating 1 egg and 1 toast to mix things up a bit.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: been trying to diet so... - Wed, 04/25/07 7:31 AM
Naxet 76-good for you for wanting to change things.Along with your egg and toast, I suggest a bit of fruit with your breakfast.Being a diabetic,I was told that eating a carb(such as fruit)with protein is a good combination.And it helps fill you up.Also,there are fruit juices out there that have added calcium instead of your chocolate milk.Just read labels to make sure they arent all sugar!!And Xannie had a great point-soy milk.Its very tasty.

naxet76
RE: been trying to diet so... - Wed, 04/25/07 8:23 AM
Yes! I've tried soy milk I just don't think I can do that change yet. I really ought to at least go down to 1%. The soy milk...or was it rice milk (?) that I bought had a nice vanilla flavor. I just love my Ovaltine!

wanderingjew
RE: been trying to diet so... - Wed, 04/25/07 8:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by naxet76

Yes! I've tried soy milk I just don't think I can do that change yet. I really ought to at least go down to 1%. The soy milk...or was it rice milk (?) that I bought had a nice vanilla flavor. I just love my Ovaltine!

Try "Soy Slender" It's chocolate soy milk- 70 calories and 1 net carb per serving. 15% of your daily recommended allowance of fiber per serving too.

steveindurham
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/26/07 4:24 PM
Here's my morning breakfast - have lost 42 pounds since Jan 22 utilizing the LA weight loss plan:

Breakfast :
1 egg or 1/4 cup Egg Beaters
1 oz of part skim cheese
Fruit - quantity varies per fruit
Fat Free or light toast - preferably whoe wheat. The white toast really isn't good for you and stifles metabolism.
Add garic, hot sauce, pepper or onions for taste

have a snack md-morning and mid -afternoon - generally fruit

Lunch and dinner consist of protein, 2 vegetables, and a starch.

Limit diet sodas/seltzer water/ unsweet tea to 24 oz a day.

Works like a charm!

You can incrporate non-sugar added cerals and oatmeal into breakfast a couple of times a week. You can also make French Toast with Egg Beaters - turns out pretty well. Use the no-stick cooking sprays.

Best of luck!

naxet76
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 04/26/07 10:04 PM
Congratulations Steve!!! Wow, that is amazing. Actually I was thinking the other day that if I were to buy Egg beaters I could make my french toast (with whole wheat) and just buy lite syrup and I could still have my beloved french toast.

steveindurham
RE: been trying to diet so... - Fri, 04/27/07 11:34 AM
Yes - it works. Make sure yu eat 6 times a day (small meals), drink plenty of water and exercise (cardio) fro at least 45 minutes 5 days a week. Egg beaters/egg whites are pretty good with part skim cheese once you get used to them. I think I will make French Toast tomorrow!

Neesie
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 05/3/07 11:17 AM
The lite syrup really isn't bad either. I use the store brand.

Sundancer7
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 05/3/07 3:53 PM
Good job Steve and just remember, a diet is not temporary. It is a way of life for many of us. Many folks lose the weight but then they gain it back. You have to learn to live like that.

Five years ago, I was 245 and I did the Adkins thing. I dropped down to 178 and I have been there ever since. Dieting is a habit and you have to be consistent at it.

Several years ago, I did the liquor and lettuce thing. Worked real good as far as the weight loss thing went. Lettuce tasted terrible but the liquor stopped that. I dropped plenty of weight but my liver functions went over the top. I stopped that PDQ.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 05/3/07 4:22 PM
An interesting yet basically unknown factoid is that free range chicken eggs contain as much Omega-3 fatty acids as salmon. They also have a great deal HDL and very little LDL. Regular eggs have almost no Omega-3 or HDL. Plenty of LDL however.

I would cut out the processed flour products, chocolate milk (full of HFCS) and processed meats.

A poached free range chicken egg over two slices of whole grain (not whole wheat) toast w/ a small bit of butter will add a few years to your life.

steveindurham
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 05/3/07 5:02 PM
Sundancer - yuo are so right. I was 370 in 2004 and got down to 205 in 10 months. Stayed between 205-225 for 3 years and then got off track last year. Am now about 20-25 pounds off my ideal weight. Everything in moderation but enjoy life. I find that I enjoy exercise now so that I can have so more of the foods that I enjoy. Have tried many new fruits and vegtables.

naxet76
RE: been trying to diet so... - Thu, 05/3/07 10:11 PM
I quit in 2003 to stay at home; at the time I only had my daughter. In 2004 I joined a gym and I went EVERYDAY sometimes twice a day. Not so much because I was a fitness freak, but mostly to get out of the house and so that my daughter wouldn't be bored at home with me. I did not change my diet at all, I think maybe I eliminated my sweet tea habit or limited the times I ate fried chicken, but I still had my regular meals and just by exercising alone I had lost 20lbs and several inches in 6 months. Granted, if I had watched my diet I would have lost it sooner but either way I was in heaven because I still enjoyed my food.
Well, once June comes arounda and I stop babysitting I'm going to start hitting the gym like before and since now I'm eating everything in moderation I think I'll be where I want to hopefully by August or SEptember.

dickestep
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: been trying to diet so... - Fri, 05/4/07 4:24 AM
quote:

Well, once June comes arounda and I stop babysitting I'm going to start hitting the gym like before and since now I'm eating everything in moderation I think I'll be where I want to hopefully by August or SEptember.
I hope you get to your desired weight soon. This diet and exercise talk makes me feel weak...

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6246
RE: been trying to diet so... - Fri, 05/11/07 4:28 AM
I have the opposite problem.........weigh in at 108....doctor does not like that and I eat until I'm full....which is really not much. Walk several miles a day and when I was in the desert went for a swim nearly every day. Yoga and ballet exercises help.

naxet76
RE: been trying to diet so... - Fri, 05/11/07 3:10 PM
you call THAT a problem???? well, depending how tall you are then.....

Catalase
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: been trying to diet so... - Fri, 05/11/07 5:13 PM
Krista Scott has a pretty darn good page on dieting here: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=4

When I have gotten serious about changing my body composition, I've usually found her advice sound as well as giving me food options that don't make me feel deprived. (Right now there's no problem because heavy yardwork keeps me fit and trim enough to satisfy.) There are lots of suggestions in most of the articles, and some- especially the pages on fruits and vegetables and whole grains- have tons of actual recipes.

There's a page on gaining healthy mass too, lleechef...

lleechef
RE: been trying to diet so... - Sat, 05/12/07 7:12 PM
quote:

I'm a short sh** at 5'4. As a chef, I eat lots of "right stuff"....vegetables, meat, fish, fruit, dairy, legumes. I ate avocados in the Desert until I couldn't finish another one........6 for $1.00! Just can't seem to put the weight back on.

wanderingjew
RE: been trying to diet so... - Sat, 05/12/07 7:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:

I'm a short sh** at 5'4. As a chef, I eat lots of "right stuff"....vegetables, meat, fish, fruit, dairy, legumes. I ate avocados in the Desert until I couldn't finish another one........6 for $1.00! Just can't seem to put the weight back on.

Lisa,

108 @ 5'4 sounds fine, maybe a little thin, but really not too thin.
BTW, here in the Northeast (and Pittsburgh too!) 5'4" is probably considered average height- apparently you've been hanging out with too many of those "nordic women" up there in the Great White North!

lleechef
RE: been trying to diet so... - Sat, 05/12/07 8:19 PM
WJ, they do grow them BIG up here! All that bulking up in the cold and dark winter would do it to you if you were so inclined. Just send me back to happy California in the sunshine and the hot tubs!