Oatmeal adulteration

Filet Mignon
2007/04/20 04:43:18
I varied the same old-same old yesterday by grating half a round of Mexican chocolate into the product after taking it off the boil. I prefer Ibarra brand, YMMV. Added some brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon, some sliced banana.

Quite nice, actually.

Anyone else have some customizing tips?
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 06:27:05
When I get bored of my steel cut oats with raisins, I'll toss in some of the many different sweet/spicy spice combinations on hand - adds a nice kick!

Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 07:10:55
I just finnished a bowl. Mine is always nakid. No milk, no sugar, no spices, just plain in a bowl. On a very rare occasion I might throw in some dried blueberries or gogi berries, but thats rarely. Chow Jim
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 07:46:33
My standard bowl of oatmeal is made with water or undiluted condensed milk to which I add a splash of pure vanilla extract and a dash of pure coconut extract. After it's cooked I add raisins, brown sugar and cinnamon.

Larry, my eyes ain't what they used to be, but I'm sure I see the word garlic on that strawberry concoction. The jury's out on putting that into my oatmeal.
Jennifer_4
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 08:11:55
I've always liked butter and maple syrup in my oatmeal..maybe some walnuts..
RibRater
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 08:16:11
MMMMMM.....garlic! i do tend to eat a large amount of garlic (those riding the bus in nashville..you've been warned).

yep, it's a "in the mood" thing but it's a nice change of pace from time to time.

most of them actually have at least a little garlic but you don't taste the garlic.
artphon
Junior Burger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 08:47:42
I regularly use Vietnamese Sriracha (hot chili garlic) sauce (the one with the Rooster on the bottle), and a cut up a grilled low-fat Chicken Andouille sausage and toss it in. Sometimes, i chop up green chilis that I order frozen from Hatch, New Mexico, along with onions. Occasionally Trader Joe's Red Mole Sauce, or one of Trader Joe's indian sauces.
naxet76
Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 10:43:00
wow, and i though I was doing a wild and crazy thing by adding a scoop of Nestle Quick into my oatmeal!!
Cinnabonbon
Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 17:12:31
quote:
Originally posted by artphon

I regularly use Vietnamese Sriracha (hot chili garlic) sauce (the one with the Rooster on the bottle), and a cut up a grilled low-fat Chicken Andouille sausage and toss it in. Sometimes, i chop up green chilis that I order frozen from Hatch, New Mexico, along with onions. Occasionally Trader Joe's Red Mole Sauce, or one of Trader Joe's indian sauces.

Artphon,

I gotta ask, you put those items in plain old oatmeal?
artphon
Junior Burger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 17:39:08
It's actually Silver Palate Oatmeal, which is a bit thicker,chewier and rich-tasting than most. (Available in chain supermarkets). It's similar to steel-cut oats, only it cooks very nicely in the microwave (which steel-cut oats do not). I can put the oatmeal in the microwave, put the sausage on a Kreps Panini grill, abandon them both while I shower, and when I'm done, so is breakfast.

I've been doing a kinda low-carb thing, so I will actually make this oatmeal and use it in place of rice when I get take-out Chinese food.
sizz
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 17:54:50
no matter what you put in your oatmeal ............. please don't forget that "pinch" of salt as it's cooking.......

Me personally, I'm on the same frequency as Jennifer .....maple syrup and chopped walnuts

I'm now on the Atken's diet getting ready for our summer cross county road trip to the east coast so I'm off the oatmeal till we get to Moody's
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/20 18:17:01
When I was growing up oatmeal was always a savory.
Salt and butter.. yummm
of course there sometimes a variation maybe - crumbled up crisply-fried bacon mixed in(a personal favorite).
dreamzpainter
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/22 09:57:45
garlic oatmeal? chili pepper oatmeal? somehow my raisen and honey suddenly looks BORING!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/23 07:53:02
An old Irish custom is to always stir your oatmeal clockwise and to eat it standing up. It's supposed to bring good luck. That was told to me by my Grandmother and she would always mumble something in Galiec. Probably wishing for a seat. Chow Jim
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/23 09:46:46
I like to stir a large spoonful or two of natural peanut butter (just ground peanuts and salt) into my steel-cut oats...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/23 10:28:26
I have never enjoy oatmeal as much as many. They have always seemed glutious to me. I am sure it is a personal thing. Some of the post here has certainly gave me reasons to reve them up a notch or two.

All the Marriotts I stay at always have oatmeal instead of grits. I wished they had grits.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Oneiron339
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/23 16:23:44
Every Sunday for as long as I remember, I cook Mrs. Oneiron and myself a pot of oatmeal. We have brown sugar and milk with it. We're too predictable, although the chocolate and/or coconut seem interesting.
vanguardmom
Junior Burger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/24 01:19:20
Fruity Old Fashioned Oatmeal:
I use apple juice or apricot nectar as the liquid, adding my salt as usual. Bring it to a boil and stir in my old fashioned oats - I use slightly larger than 1 to 1 ratio of liquid to oats - maybe 2/3 c. juice to 1/2 c. oats, say. Amount depends on hunger level. Add matching, coordinating or contrasting dried fruits: dried granny smith apple slices from Trader Joe's, dried California apricots, raisin, etc. Stir in, cover, remove from heat and go make coffe and unload the dishwasher.

Serve with either stevia and skimmed milk if I am being "good" or brown sugar and butter if I am throwing good sense to the wind. By using this liquid to oats ratio I don't get the glue-y, the oats are more separate, not "creamy" or gummy. Don't like creamy oatmeal, unless it comes from adding cream.

You could obviously use different juice and fruit combinations. Cherry juice from TJs and dried cherries are very nice. You can add various sweet spices, too. I've never considered hot spices until now, but a pinch would really point up the tangy fruit, so thanks for that hint!

clp
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/24 07:59:04
After discussing this thread with my farther about the superstion my Irish grandmother had with oatmeal he got a good chuckle. He said that she would also make oatmeal for special occasions, it was a must.
The Irish are very superstious, of course many still belive in the wee people and fairys. Must be all that good Irish wiskey and pochine.

On holidays she made a special oatmeal called Stirabout I'm told. She started this dish the night before to be ready for the morning. Pop said it had fresh fruit or berries and Irish wiskey and cream, and other ingreadiants he wasn't sure of. He said she served it with toasted soda bread or scones. I have some of her old kitchen notes as she called them, I'll look for it and post if found. Chow Jim
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/24 08:27:51
quote:
Originally posted by vanguardmom

Fruity Old Fashioned Oatmeal:
I use apple juice or apricot nectar as the liquid, adding my salt as usual. Bring it to a boil and stir in my old fashioned oats - I use slightly larger than 1 to 1 ratio of liquid to oats - maybe 2/3 c. juice to 1/2 c. oats, say. Amount depends on hunger level. Add matching, coordinating or contrasting dried fruits: dried granny smith apple slices from Trader Joe's, dried California apricots, raisin, etc. Stir in, cover, remove from heat and go make coffe and unload the dishwasher.

Now this sounds good. Consider it tried.

P.S. I am the dishwasher.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/27 16:28:05
In the olden days....whenever that was.... the Irish and Scots used oatmeal extensivly in all their cooking.

Oatmeal, it wasn't just for breakfast, way back then.

It was really the main staple of the diet for those people, before the potato was introduce in Ireland. It is still quite vital in Scotland. Think Haggis and Oatcakes. or maybe not.

My husband tells a story of a friend visiting his extended family in Scotland and being served "porridge" in the morning. He began to dump huge quantities of the gradulated white stuff which was sitting in a bowl on the table onto the oatmeal. His uncle watch this spectacle for a moment, and said "You know Davey, in Scotland, we put SALT on our oatmeal." Davey replied "I don't care, I eat mine with lots of sugar." The uncle made him eat every bite of his creation.

Our living history group has used oatmeal, particularly leftover oatmeal, in soups with chicken and kale and onions. It's quite good.

Cathy
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/04/27 18:16:23
Stirabout!
I found it in her kitchen notes.

About 2 cups of water
small hand full of salt or less
1/2 to 3/4 mug of oats
corn syrup and a bit of the Irish mixed in equal ammounts
mg of raisins
good ammount of cream
hunk of butter and some brown sugar
berries or fruit for topping

At nite cook oats in salt water turn off and let stand till morn.
Put the Irish with the syrup and raisins in pot cook untill plump and save
In the morn bring oats back to the boil
drain the raisins save the liqour

When serving put some of the butter and brown sugar raisins and cream in bottom of bowl put finished oats on top
then top with berries or fruit, annoit with the reserved liquid

I will try it this weekend but I hate to waste a good bit of the Irish on oatmeal. Chow Jim
chickenwingking
Hamburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/08/22 12:37:26
quote:
Originally posted by Williamsburger

In the olden days....whenever that was.... the Irish and Scots used oatmeal extensivly in all their cooking.

Oatmeal, it wasn't just for breakfast, way back then.

It was really the main staple of the diet for those people, before the potato was introduce in Ireland. It is still quite vital in Scotland. Think Haggis and Oatcakes. or maybe not.

My husband tells a story of a friend visiting his extended family in Scotland and being served "porridge" in the morning. He began to dump huge quantities of the gradulated white stuff which was sitting in a bowl on the table onto the oatmeal. His uncle watch this spectacle for a moment, and said "You know Davey, in Scotland, we put SALT on our oatmeal." Davey replied "I don't care, I eat mine with lots of sugar." The uncle made him eat every bite of his creation.

Our living history group has used oatmeal, particularly leftover oatmeal, in soups with chicken and kale and onions. It's quite good.

Cathy

Oatmeal can also be used instead of breadcrumbs in meatloaf or meatballs. The meat comes out tasting exactly the same. I cook my oatmeal with fresh blueberries, which have had a very good season here in PA this summer. My girlfriend served what she called "peaches and cream" oatmeal for breakfast on Easter Sunday which was very good.
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/08/22 13:50:29
We like oatmeal at our house (McCann's or Silver Palate, or Quaker, but not the quick-cooking) with various combinations of the following "mix-ins":
brown sugar or maple syrup
toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds
raisins or dried cranberries
fresh fruit- almost anything
Sometimes just a bit of cream or butter.
I like a lot of the other suggestions. But not garlic.
Ron

RibRater
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/08/22 16:30:11
This is timely...I just had a nice bowl of steel cut oats with cranberries, strawberries, blueberries, raisins, cashews, cherries, and raspberries about two hours ago..

jettababs
Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/08/22 16:41:23
Oatmeal is sounding really good right now! Mine usually has brown sugar, honey, a bit of milk, and sometimes chocolate chips. The chain (I know ) Au Bon Pain actually has an oatmeal bar in the mornings, with pretty good, thick oatmeal and a whole slew of stuff to put on/in it--nuts, coconut, honey, syrup, etc. Molasses sounds really good, too, might have to give that a try.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/08/23 10:55:23
I split my SO's offering this morning--microwaved oatmeal with sliced canned peaches, a splash of the syrup, a splash of half-and-half, and a topping of granola. Yum!
Frankman
Cheeseburger
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/08/23 12:54:06
Really ripe, not bruised banana slices. Reminds me of nanner puddin'. Ripe fruit, melon, straberries, grapes, only fresh and ripe.I have become a type 2 diabetic so I learned to eat foods without sugar. Never liked the sugar substutes anyway.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/08/23 13:37:58
What's with the steel cut oats? They're priced higher and the healthies seem to prefer them, but I couldn't distinguish anything special about them after a couple of bowls worth. It was just..... oatmeal. Like I buy in the big cylindrical package with the old man on front. Am I missing something here?

Other than the boat.
RibRater
RE: Oatmeal adulteration 2007/08/23 13:57:18
capt., i prefer the steel cut for a few reasons:

1) more substantial "oat" when it is finished cooking

2) it's not slimy like the pre-cooked rolled oats

3) i think it has a better flavor then the rolled

i stopped eating oatmeal for years because I didn't like the rolled but I'm back on the train with the steel cut.

i buy mine from a local health food store (bulk) at .89 an lb