White Pizza

Junior Burger
2007/04/21 10:52:00
I live in Tennessee now (Clinton) and I can't find a pizza place that serves "White Pizza". Maybe somewhere in Knoxville they have it....not sure, but everytime I ask for it, people look at me as if I'm from Mars. Nobody seems to know what the heck it is......It's soo funny. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and almost everyone knows what it is there. Of course we have a HUGE Italian population there, so that's to be expected. I have to fly home now if I want it. I always go to Napoli's. They have the best.

Can anyone help me find a REALLY GOOD authentic Italian Pizza Parlor in the Knoxville, TN area that serves WHITE PIZZA??????

Thanks.....

Ms. Pittsburgh
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 11:16:38
I found myself in a similar situation when I moved to Florida from New Jersey in the late 1970's. After finally giving up hope of ever finding decent pizza there, I learned to make my own. Even my earliest attempts were better than what was available locally. Then I discovered http://www.pizzamaking.com/ and now my pizza is described by friends and family as "the best they ever had".

Get yourself a decent quality pizza stone, a peel, and a recipe. You will be amazed! I bake them in an electric oven at 550, but if yours only reaches 500 that's just fine, too. I use a bread machine with a dough cycle to prepare my dough because I'm a somewhat lazy person. Even without a machine, it's not that hard to do. Your pies will taste great and will cost about 1/3 of what they charge at a quality pizza parlor. Good luck! pb

p.s. I Googled pizza in and around the Clinton and I can see why you might be having a hard time. Nothing but crappy chains.
Ms. Pittsburgh
Junior Burger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 11:19:45
Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I would LOVE to learn how to make my own, but sometimes when you're out and you don't feel like cooking and you just want to be served, it would be nice to get what you want.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 11:26:27
quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Pittsburgh

I live in Tennessee now (Clinton) and I can't find a pizza place that serves "White Pizza". Maybe somewhere in Knoxville they have it....not sure, but everytime I ask for it, people look at me as if I'm from Mars. Nobody seems to know what the heck it is......It's soo funny. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and almost everyone knows what it is there. Of course we have a HUGE Italian population there, so that's to be expected. I have to fly home now if I want it. I always go to Napoli's. They have the best.

Can anyone help me find a REALLY GOOD authentic Italian Pizza Parlor in the Knoxville, TN area that serves WHITE PIZZA??????

Thanks.....

Ms. Pittsburgh

Welcome both to RF and to Tennessee, Ms. Pittsburgh.

Now that you are lucky enough to live in the South, you will have the glorious opportunity to feast on Southern cookin'

With such WONDERFUL food here in the South, you will hopefully get over the "pizza" craving .
Ms. Pittsburgh
Junior Burger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 11:34:29
quote:
Originally posted by BunglingBill

quote:

Thanks.....

Ms. Pittsburgh

Now that you are lucky enough to live in the South, you will have the glorious opportunity to feast on Southern cookin'

With such WONDERFUL food here in the South, you will hopefully get over the "pizza" craving .

I will NEVER get over my White Pizza craving, however, I think I may have located a spot over in the Knoxville area that serves "Gourmet White Pizza". It's called the "Mellow Mushroom". Have u been there? If anyone has, let me know.....It sounds really good.
porkbeaks
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 12:23:41
There are quite a few Mellow Mushroom pizza joints here in Georgia. I believe they are headquartered in Atlanta. I've yet to try their pizza though I know a lot of folks think highly of it. Then again, a lot of folks think highly of Pizza Hut. I guess you'll be heading to the one in Knoxville. Is that convenient? Here are what some have to say about the chain as a whole. I suspect some locations are better than others; that's just the way chains are. pb

http://www.epinions.com/content_159576002180
Ms. Pittsburgh
Junior Burger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 13:02:28
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

There are quite a few Mellow Mushroom pizza joints here in Georgia. I believe they are headquartered in Atlanta. I've yet to try their pizza though I know a lot of folks think highly of it. Then again, a lot of folks think highly of Pizza Hut. I guess you'll be heading to the one in Knoxville. Is that convenient? Here are what some have to say about the chain as a whole. I suspect some locations are better than others; that's just the way chains are. pb

http://www.epinions.com/content_159576002180

Thanks for the review.....I really appreciate it. I asked my fiance about it and why he never told me about this place, and he reminded me of how much I loathe chains. Still, I'll give it a shot. Well, Knoxville is about 25 miles from me, but that's ok.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 13:10:56
quote:

I will NEVER get over my White Pizza craving, however, I think I may have located a spot over in the Knoxville area that serves "Gourmet White Pizza". It's called the "Mellow Mushroom". Have u been there? If anyone has, let me know.....It sounds really good.

No, I haven't. I don't care for pizza.

Bill
Ms. Pittsburgh
Junior Burger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 13:26:40
I've never heard of anyone who doesn't "care for pizza". You're the first. OMG....." />
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 13:28:44
Your new thread on “pizza” reminded me of a celebrity comment I heard last week.

Bill Maher, on “Real Time with Bill Maher”, in the show’s segment called “NEW RULES”, directed a “New Rule” to a transplanted New Yorker (who moved to California). The transplanted New Yorker complained that he couldn’t find ANY decent pizza in California (and was SO unhappy since he LEFT New York).

Bill Maher commented: NEW RULE - Don’t complain that you can’t find “good pizza” in California. Here in California, AFTER we pay our rent, we STILL have money left over to buy REAL food!

I wonder if that “NEW RULE” applies to Pittsburgh versus Knoxville.
BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 13:32:00
quote:

I've never heard of anyone who doesn't "care for pizza". You're the first. OMG....." />

Well, actually there's another one. My wife ALSO doesn't care for pizza. OMG

But, what would SHE know
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 13:40:03
quote:

Your new thread on “pizza” reminded me of a celebrity comment I heard last week.

Bill Maher, on “Real Time with Bill Maher”, in the show’s segment called “NEW RULES”, directed a “New Rule” to a transplanted New Yorker (who moved to California). The transplanted New Yorker complained that he couldn’t find ANY decent pizza in California (and was SO unhappy since he LEFT New York).

Bill Maher commented: NEW RULE - Don’t complain that you can’t find “good pizza” in California. Here in California, AFTER we pay our rent, we STILL have money left over to buy REAL food!

I wonder if that “NEW RULE” applies to Pittsburgh versus Knoxville.

I guess that is why there are no chains or low priced restaurants in California. Mr. Maher needs to get his fact checkers to actually look at real estate prices before he speaks!
RibRater
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 13:43:40
mellow mushroom is actually not bad at all. i'm not sure how authentic you will find it but the food is good.
Ms. Pittsburgh
Junior Burger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 13:46:15
Yes, I lived in California (San Diego) for close to 20 years. It's extremely expensive to live there but very much prefer the west coast to anywhere. It's true that there aren't many good pizza places there....although I found some in Northern Cal. that were better than some in So. Cal. I Love Bill Maher. He was supposed to be on Larry King last night, but got cancelled....instead he had on the Nasa shooter story.

I guess it's all in what foods entice your palate. I was born and raised in Pgh. growing up with mainly Italian foods. When I moved to the west coast, I learned to try different ethnic foods, esp. vegetarian restaurants, and loved them. I don't care for most southern cooking because they're fattening and unhealthy. I must sound like a snob, but I try to eat healthy foods, not that pizza is healthy, but it sure is scrumptious to me.

BunglingBill
Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 14:03:40
quote:
I guess that is why there are no chains or low priced restaurants in California. Mr. Maher needs to get his fact checkers to actually look at real estate prices before he speaks!

Tony, I just recently got back from a visit to California.

Believe me, I would NOT want to live there, but NOT because of the real estate prices (although I NEVER saw a one-bedroom apartment in California sell for over a million dollars), but for OTHER reasons.

We found LOTS of food chains and "low-priced restaurants" there.

In fact, having spent time in the states of Washington, Oregon, AND California, we found the restaurants in California to be the MOST reasonable of the three.

However, if you're talking "pizza" chains and/or restaurants, I didn't really notice because we weren't looking for one.

Whatever, we're "off-topic", but I simply reiterate that when one is in LOVE with one's local food, then one cannot expect the rest of the country to accommodate their specific tastes, and should NOT be critical of their newly adopted state for failing to please their culinary habits.
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 14:41:10
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks.....

Ms. Pittsburgh

The white pizza at Mellow Mushroom has always been a favorite of mine - now I don't know how it varies from the stuff where you're from (and people are pretty passionate and particular about pizza) but do give it a try - I like the tang the sundried tomatoes give it.
porkbeaks
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 14:43:49
quote:
...............I simply reiterate that when one is in LOVE with one's local food, then one cannot expect the rest of the country to accommodate their specific tastes, and should NOT be critical of their newly adopted state for failing to please their culinary habits.

Which is why I advised the OP to learn to make her own. pb
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 16:24:40
This how I solve my "unsual" pizza craving in Dallas. I buy unbaked pizza dough rounds from a very good local pizza shop. They are really good. The kind that rises and gets very crusty.
They charge me only $2.00 each for them. I take them home and make my own gourmet pies
in my own house. I like to make my own sauce and add my own toppings.
They come out great!
See if you can buy the unbaked pizza dough rounds from a pizza shop near you and do the same.
Does anyone else do this too?
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 16:58:02
Ms. P

Have you tried here:

www.thetomatohead.com/menu.html

Lots of White Pizza's. Go Ravens.

BB
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 17:07:14
quote:
Originally posted by Vince Macek

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks.....

Ms. Pittsburgh

The white pizza at Mellow Mushroom has always been a favorite of mine - now I don't know how it varies from the stuff where you're from (and people are pretty passionate and particular about pizza) but do give it a try - I like the tang the sundried tomatoes give it.

I think it's pretty good, myself.
Ms. Pittsburgh
Junior Burger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 17:13:28
BakersBoy.....you are awesome....Thanks soo much. I'm printing out the menu now. The Tomato Head sounds like my kind of place. The sandwiches look really really good. I wonder if they're open on Saturdays? I'll have to call them. I'm liking #7 right about now, except they'd have to add lots of garlic for me.

Thanks Again,

Go Steelers
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: White Pizza 2007/04/21 17:40:13
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

This how I solve my "unsual" pizza craving in Dallas. I buy unbaked pizza dough rounds from a very good local pizza shop. They are really good. The kind that rises and gets very crusty.
They charge me only $2.00 each for them. I take them home and make my own gourmet pies
in my own house. I like to make my own sauce and add my own toppings.
They come out great!
See if you can buy the unbaked pizza dough rounds from a pizza shop near you and do the same.
Does anyone else do this too?

Publix supermarkets sell balls of pizza dough in their bakery department - they cook up nice and chewy. In fact, that's tonight's dinner here.
rkawong
Junior Burger
RE: White Pizza 2011/03/21 19:53:56
Dear Ms. Pittsburgh,

Try OSCAR's on the UT strip (Cumberland Ave.).  They used to have an OSCAR's West out in Bearden, but it closed down.  The white pizza is great.  Also the baked ziti.  I'm from Pittsburgh and Papa J's is my favorite white pizza (Carnegie).

Oscar's Silver White Pizza - try it.

rkawong