New at Costco ???

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 121
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
  • Reward points : 0
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 04/27/07 6:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Having contributed several "I Love Costco" Posts I will say that we have found one item that for some reason just doesn't do the job.
We bought a large 'tub/bucket' of Kirkland powdered laundry detergent. It absolutely refuses to dissolve in cold water...the way we do most of our normal laundry. This may be due to the water "softening" qualities in our local water...but It doesn't due what most detergents should do.

Now we can call this a "balanced" presentation !

Al--I hope that you returned that powdered detergent!
In addition to all of the other positive things that have been said about Costco, I want to add that they have what is probably the best return policy of any retailer. Just bring back whatever you don't like and they will credit that purchase back to your credit card or refund your cash payment in the wink of an eye--no questions asked, no implied guilt on the part of the customer.

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 04/27/07 8:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by morningglory

quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

We have all raved about the products we buy at Costco. Now I want to rave about their personnel.The people that work there at Costco are just great. All are informed, helpful and polite. A huge difference from the (indifferent) staff at Sam's

Wow you are so right on.

I love their staff. They are always so kind and wise. They go out of their way to help me and answer my questions.

Costco is GREAT and I love them...

I'll "third" your second about the staff. But there's a reason for that: Costco treats its employees like colleagues, rather than cattle. They're well trained, compensated, and "benefited." Company management regularly gets criticized by Wall Street for profit margins being too low, and defends that fact by saying that they'd rather have lower profits and happier, more productive staff.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5360
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 04/27/07 8:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:

Having contributed several "I Love Costco" Posts I will say that we have found one item that for some reason just doesn't do the job.
We bought a large 'tub/bucket' of Kirkland powdered laundry detergent. It absolutely refuses to dissolve in cold water...the way we do most of our normal laundry. This may be due to the water "softening" qualities in our local water...but It doesn't due what most detergents should do.

Now we can call this a "balanced" presentation !

Al--I hope that you returned that powdered detergent!
In addition to all of the other positive things that have been said about Costco, I want to add that they have what is probably the best return policy of any retailer. Just bring back whatever you don't like and they will credit that purchase back to your credit card or refund your cash payment in the wink of an eye--no questions asked, no implied guilt on the part of the customer.

They recently modified their return policy limiting the time frame in which you can some items, mostly electronic. Several years ago they limited returns of computers. Before that didn't limit anything. But they still have a really great return policy.

MikeS.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 04/27/07 8:59 AM
I also bought one of those fold up ladders recently. Great price 1/3 the cost of the one advertised on TV. Very convienent item, the only draw back is, boy is it heavy! After picking it up had to go to the pharmacy section and look for a truss.
I have the Executive membership, so periodicly I get coupons in the mail from them, some great buys to be had there. I also get a check at the end of the year, 1% or 2% rebate on annual purchases, almost covers the membership cost. Chow Jim

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 04/27/07 10:22 AM
quote:

In my 35mm photo days Kirkland color print film was always a great buy. 10 rolls for $10 and excellent quality..(Agfa film in Kirkland containers) I used hundreds of rolls of it for a decade or two.

I mentioned the Kirkland Bacon in my earlier post. My sister likes the regular sliced packages...4 One Lb.packages for $8 or $9. We like the Maple Smoked Thick Sliced version. 2 - 2 Lb. packages connected to make one 4 Lb. package for $10. Since it is all clear wrap you can see the 'lean to fat ratio' easily. It cooks flat in the pan and leaves a wonderful after-smell in the Kitchen when it is finished (and it tastes GREAT). I would love to have one of those Car Air Freshener aerosol can with this scent in it.

Last rant for this post... McCormick Spices. The Large containers of Garlic Salt, Garlic Pepper, Lemon Pepper, and the various Montreal Seasonings, all in the $5 or so price range. A real bargain when compared to the little 2 or 3 oz tube sold in other stores.

Hi Al. Thank to your above post, yesterday, (Thursday) I went to Costco for my regular shopping run and decided to pick up one of those large plastic containers of McCormick's parsley. It's great! I will never have to chop another bunch of fresh parsley again.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 04/27/07 6:07 PM
Awesome return policy at Costco. For an event, my wife bought three plastic tubs of cookies from the in-store bakery, then found out she didn't need to. Three days later, the store took them as a return, with full purchase credit.

Ciaoman
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 04/27/07 6:31 PM
On a recent trip to my local Costco, I tried a 3-lb bag of Columbian coffee beans--Arabica--for $9.99! Excellent! The bag was silver foil. Also, I continue to believe that Costco's rotisserie chicken is the best available--juciest, biggest and the best price. I agree with other posts about the overall excellence of the Kirkland branded products. Have you tried the $14.99 all-cotton button-down dress shirts yet? Amazingly good. I would stack them up against shirts costing 3 times as much.

marzsit
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 04/29/07 2:32 AM
we had a cookout at work recently with filet mignon steaks wrapped with thick pepper bacon from costco, but the surprise ingredient was kirkland steak rub seasoning.. i don't have the container in front of me so i can't tell you what was in it but it was amazingly good stuff. in a flat, clear plastic round container with a metal lid about 6" in diameter. i do recall that it contained no msg, unlike most commercial steak seasonings.

morningglory
  • Total Posts : 559
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 04/29/07 3:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

When all you buy for is one old fart who doesn't eat much and can easily exist on a hundred bucks worth of groceries a month, Costco's a bit of overkill.

enginecapt,

Giggling, but I am anoather "old fart" who doesn't eat much....

I kind of know where you are coming from. I used to shop 5-6 stores for their "loss leaders" as a way to economize, when my family, 2 girls and a hubby were part of my life.

Those girls have grown up, and have moved on...and hubby, passed on.

Anyway, I still go to Costco, for basic non-perishable items, paper, pet food, laundry detergents, and other items, I can freeze/store from their bulk products.

I guess it is part of my nature. Try to make a dime go as far as it can. I kid my girls, that when I die, they will have to check my will, to see who gets the most paper towels, toilet paper, detergent and, soap, in their will, LOL.

Yeah, for one, I do not fuss as much as I used to.

But, I still love Costco for all their "samples" and the $ 1.50 hot dog and endless drink. That is a serious bargain.

MikeS.
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 04/29/07 10:04 AM
That 1.50 hot dog and drink has been with them since 1988 that I know of. What a loss leader, probably the longest on record.

MikeS.

Twinwillow
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 04/29/07 11:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by marzsit

we had a cookout at work recently with filet mignon steaks wrapped with thick pepper bacon from costco, but the surprise ingredient was kirkland steak rub seasoning.. i don't have the container in front of me so i can't tell you what was in it but it was amazingly good stuff. in a flat, clear plastic round container with a metal lid about 6" in diameter. i do recall that it contained no msg, unlike most commercial steak seasonings.

I think those are fairly new items. I noticed them the other day. They looked "interesting". There are a few different seasoming blends. It was the packaging that realy caught my eye. I will try the steak seasoning on my next visit. I would have bought it when I saw it but, I just bought a bag of "Chicago Steak Seasoning" from Penzy's. Which, bye the way is very good.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 04/29/07 2:56 PM
I love Costco too. Having been raised by "waste not what not" Depression Era parents and after raising 4 kids on a civil servant's paycheck, I too have a finely honed sense of getting 20 cents out of a dime.

Problem is, I find myself wasting too much when I buy in Costco's large lot sized perishables.

Of course, there's no such thing as too many rolls of TP and paper towels, and for those I find Costco invaluable.

texascarl
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 04/29/07 8:04 PM
I go at least once a week to buy a big container of organic baby lettuce/mixed greens. Can't beat the coffee beans (Kirkland Sumatra Dark Roast rocks) almonds, hummus and cheese. Rotisserie chicken, leg o' lamb and wine.

nattyboh
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 04/30/07 5:36 PM
Greetings from the Land of Pleasant Living. My first post.

The Costco in White Marsh MD is again selling Kirkland/Carnegie Deli Pastrami. The packaging changed from a 24 oz bag to 2-12 oz trays for $9.79. The package said "leaner cut." The pastrami was much leaner than anything I purchased previously. Costco is now selling Kirkland/New York Carnagie Deli Fresh Kosher Spears for $4.99. They are OU Kosher and manufactured by United Pickle Packers Demarest NJ. The pickles are to my liking, about half-done. Another new item is Kirkland/Kettle Brand Krinkle Cut Chips, lightly salted. They are thick cut from Russet potatoes and made for Costco by Kettle Foods. Two pounds of chips for $3.89. The chips are Kosher too, but not OU. The White Marsh Costco also sells a very limited assortment of Kirkland Bagels which the package states are Einstein Bros, a dozen for $3.99.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 04/30/07 5:41 PM
Nattyboh: Sounds like you are definately a Kirkland fan???

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

A Creole Cook
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 04/30/07 5:57 PM

Their SEAFOOD SPREAD is delicious!

I always buy it when having a party. I place a dab in center of cocktail crackers, but I always add a few drops of Tabasco or other hot sauce to it.

I get rave reviews on that spread. YUM!

lynndunham
  • Total Posts : 194
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 04/30/07 6:23 PM
I love Costco, too. Mostly I buy laundry detergent, fresh meat, pet food and that sort of thing. What I like best about it is that it can be refreshing, almost like a weekend away. To go in and see all the new items is always fun! (Yeah, guess I'm a cheap date and easily entertained.)Don't think my husband would agree!

Twinwillow
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 04/30/07 6:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by nattyboh

Greetings from the Land of Pleasant Living. My first post.

The Costco in White Marsh MD is again selling Kirkland/Carnegie Deli Pastrami. The packaging changed from a 24 oz bag to 2-12 oz trays for $9.79. The package said "leaner cut." The pastrami was much leaner than anything I purchased previously. Costco is now selling Kirkland/New York Carnagie Deli Fresh Kosher Spears for $4.99. They are OU Kosher and manufactured by United Pickle Packers Demarest NJ. The pickles are to my liking, about half-done. Another new item is Kirkland/Kettle Brand Krinkle Cut Chips, lightly salted. They are thick cut from Russet potatoes and made for Costco by Kettle Foods. Two pounds of chips for $3.89. The chips are Kosher too, but not OU. The White Marsh Costco also sells a very limited assortment of Kirkland Bagels which the package states are Einstein Bros, a dozen for $3.99.

Welcome!
I'm going to check out my (East Plano, Texas) Costco for some of the above products. Especially the Carnegie Deli "leaner" pastrami and the those pickles.
BTW, what's "OU" kosher?

nattyboh
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 04/30/07 8:05 PM
Hi Twinwillow

My daughter has multiple severe food allergies and we learned the meaning of everything shown on food labels. The "U" inside a circle one sees on many foods means the product was certified Kosher by the Orthodox Union. Other Kosher certifying organizations each have their own symbol.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 04/30/07 8:23 PM
I just picked up the Austin Blues barbeque. 3 lbs in two cryolac bags. I saw that it was Hormel but for only $4.75 it was CHEAP!!! Big chunks of hardwood smoked pork with the burnt ends in a "neutral" vinegar sauce. The smoke flavoring tastes artificial and the stuff reminds me of the pork hocks in a jar. As it's un-sauced i'll probably add some Roadhouse to kick it up a bit. Glad i didn't spend more!

desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 04/30/07 8:37 PM

Nobody mentioned the Dog Beds. Great quality, and costing less than $20 makes them a steal.

MikeS.
RE: New at Costco ??? - Tue, 05/1/07 8:14 AM
Of course D'dog would know this

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 05/4/07 11:46 AM
Friday- Kentucky Oaks Day (the Day before the Derby)...I headed over to Costco thinking the traffic thru town would be thick and slow, and that the Derby Party People would be stocking up on all the goodies they will share tomorrow.

Not So... Looked like 9am on a Sunday Morning, very quiet on the road and even quieter at costco. I think the Louisville folks haven't got the message yet !! And We may talk here, but I am not yelling at the neighbors to fill the place up. ANYway here is the 'stuff' I got today. Nothing new or super special...just refilling the supplies, except for the cake.

1. Choc Sheet Cake (Derby Decorations) for Jan's Church lunch Sunday. Choc cake, choc and colored decorations, filled with choc Mousse. $15.99
2. 3 Servings Salmon Filets stuffed with Crabmeat- $13.30
3. Kirtland Sliced Sandwich Ham two 2 lb packages-$7.89
4. Kirtland Thick Sliced maple-Bacon two 2 lb Pkg $10.59
5. One 4 lb bag "3-Berries" frozen Blue-Rasp-Marion Berries $9.99
6. 1 6 pk Skaggs "Steak-Chili" (cans) $7.49
7. One 6 pk Kirtland Eggbeaters- (16oz 'box') $6.79
8. One pkg Ground Chuck $13.84
9. One Veggie Tray (for Church Lunch) grape tomatoes, Snow Peas, Sweet Peppers (tiny various colors), mini-carrots, Santa Fe Dip (spicy-thousand) $14.99

Just a typical medium grocery run. Thought you might like to see what keeps the Mayor slim and trim!!

Salustra
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 05/4/07 12:15 PM
Thursday evening has become the time for our weekly Costco run. This coordinates with driving son#2 to class at the Community College nearby. We have enjoyed having the store basically to ourselves (compared to Saturday mornings, anyway!). The last 3 weeks though, there have been way more people there on 'our' night. What's up with that? I didn't tell anyone that was an uncrowded time to go. Besides, the sample ladies aren't even there on Thursday nights. . .

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 05/4/07 5:32 PM
Mr Mayor, how much ground chuck did you get for $13.84? And what was the lean/fat ratio?

Thanks for answering!

mayor al
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 05/4/07 5:58 PM
Katie,
It was 80/20 at $2.19 a pound. We break it up into roughly 2 lb packages for one meal use.

cornfed
  • Total Posts : 344
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 05/9/07 12:35 AM
I just had a 2 pound tub of hand pulled bbq pork from a company called Caritas Ranch. They're out of Boerne, TX, at the foot of Hill Country. I'm in San Diego, and I got to say, this Costco product was the best bbq I have eaten in California. I even nuked it and it was still lovely. Smokey and tender, a little oversauced, but not cloying. I don't know if this stuff is available at all Costcos. But if anyone finds it, you gotta try it. I was initially trepidatious. I mean, come on, bbq in a vat. But this is as close to the real deal you'll find, at least in SoCal.

jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1172
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 05/9/07 12:13 PM
Tonight is the 14th anniversary of the day our adoption of our boy was finalized -- his first and last time before a judge, I hope!

He has requested a "Costco" dinner comprising things he saw when I took him there the first time a few weeks back.

Main course: Mesquite chicken wings.

Dessert: Tiramisu.

Only my boy!

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 05/9/07 3:53 PM
Limited time only-
Energy Star inside spot lights 4 pack $12.39 regular price, but it has a manufactures instant rebate of $9.80.
Thats quite a savings, total about $2.50 per package. Chow Jim

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6256
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 05/11/07 5:02 AM
I love Costco because no matter where you are.....Palm Desert, Ca or Anchorage, AK or Pittsburgh, PA you're going to find interesting food! It could be hearts of palm or artichokes for $.50. King Crab for $6.99.lb. Gotta love Costco!

MandalayVA
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 05/11/07 6:46 AM
I adore Costco. It's just me and Mr. Mandalay, but we do pretty much all our shopping there. The sirloin steaks are amazingly good, as are the pot roasts and boneless legs of lamb (I cut those up for stew meat) and chickens. Sadly, our local one doesn't have a deli, but they're supposedly moving to a new building that will have one. I'll echo the comment above about produce--since we eat a lot of salad I'm fine with buying romaine lettuce and grape tomatoes there, but I'm careful with everything else because it sucks to buy that much and then have it go bad. One deal they have is selling a bag of six red, yellow and orange peppers for less than the local supermarkets sell three. I cut these up for a quick snack or fill them with tuna or chicken salad for lunch--awesome. I'm also planning to buy an iPod there since they're literally a hundred dollars cheaper than I've seen them anywhere. What I really miss is the giant cans of macadamias they sold here for about $12--I haven't seen those in a few months.

joanie41
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sat, 05/12/07 7:59 PM
Just got back from a trip to Costco...hadn't been in awhile and noticed that the snack bar now has a pastrami on rye sandwich that looks really yummy. Has anyone tried this yet? It's a little pricier than the pizzas, etc, at ~5.99 but it looked very good. i think they use the same Carnegie deli pastrami that they sell back with the meats.

MikeS.
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 05/13/07 8:28 AM
Joanie, I had this sandwich a few weeks ago. I postd about it in this thread, I think. Although I can't find the meat for sale in the store anymore. It was either 6 or 8 ozs of meat in the sandwich. I added some deli mustard to mine.

MikeS.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 06/6/07 1:03 AM
Has anyone else tried the pork Carnitas from Cosco?? I had seen them & finally decided to give it a try. It's 2 lbs of pork done the Mexican way. The package I got was fantastic!! It is basically an unseasoned pork butt. It is fork tender & can be shredded & used however you want. I have had it with Jackson's Big Oak Barbeque sauce & made into quesadilla's. I am going to put some into the freezer for a later date. There was very little excess fat on the nice large pieces of pork. I would not hesitate to try it again.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 06/6/07 3:41 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a set of BF Goodrich AT truck tires at Costco's already low price. With this $60 off coupon per set, it should bring each tire down to $114.95. That is a GREAT price!

Misha
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 06/17/07 12:14 AM
quote:

Att: Costco excecutives: Hope you are reading all the nice things we are saying about your great store!

I'm not a Costco executive, but I am a (nearly) 10 year employee. A friend was looking for something Costco related online and found this site and thread. I really enjoyed reading what you all had to say!!!

While many of the food items are sold on a national level, we have 8 unique regions within the US and a lot of the food is done on a local basis, which explains the differences you've noticed.

So as I type this on my Costco-purchased computer sitting on my Costco-purchased chair at my Costco-purchased desk, and prepare to go to sleep in my Costco bed with Kirkland brand down comforter and Costco pillow I just want to thank all of you for loving Costco as much as I do!!!

-Misha

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 06/17/07 1:31 AM
i love costco!!! i go out of my way to shop any where beside the waltons empire walmart/sams club......i worked at walmart did you know all thier meat is frozen when it comes in they dethaw it and if you buy bulk you go home and refreeze it that is gross.........i support my family owned grocery stores and meat markets and costco...for the rest.
nuff said

lleechef
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 06/17/07 3:53 AM
I can tell you exactly where Costco is in Palm Desert, CA, in Anchorage, AK and in the Pittsburgh, PA Area.

I especially like the one in Palm Desert......looks like a resort.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sun, 06/17/07 9:18 AM
I always liked the one in Palm Desert. Lisa, you and Z should have been at the Blues fest yesterday. It was great. It woulda changed yer life!

mayor al
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 06/25/07 2:59 PM

June 25th Costco Run-
We fully intended this to be a restock-run, holding our 'experiments' to a minimum this time.
That meant,
Butter
Fake Eggs (for Janet)
Two bags of the "3 Berries"
SHrimp
Tuna Steaks
Minced Garlic
Sugar
some bread (Garlic-Roasted Italian) & Sub Rolls.
and a few other standard (for us) items.

HOWEVER- Now in season Raspberry Rhubarb Pie AND Mocha Coffee Cake. So we had to indulge in one of each.
Janet also got a large bottle of Artichoke Hearts for her salad makings.
The Coffee Cake is outstanding. A single layer chocolate cake with a "Coffee Crumb" topping. Add some Vanilla Ice Cream over the top and you have an outstanding light desert. For $6.95 it is a real bargain!

Gas was $2.86 when we filled up there today.

Salustra
RE: New at Costco ??? - Mon, 06/25/07 4:19 PM
Mr. Mayor - Costco and good intentions just don't seem to be compatible.

Sampled Mocha Coffee Cake yesterday - oh, yum! Just couldn't justify it since I still had homemade brownies I made the day before.
Impulse item of the week (based on sampling - yes, it serves its purpose!): Dry Roasted Almonds with Sea Salt. (Kirkland brand) Ingredients: dry-roasted almonds, sea salt

lleechef
RE: New at Costco ??? - Tue, 06/26/07 3:31 AM
Besides the regular stuff, our latest new finds are: Whole Grain Parmesan Cracker Bread.....90 calories for 1. Costco brand granola (I don't even like granola) with everything but the kitchen sink....nuts, oats, honey, sunflower seeds.....on and on......1/3 C has 120 calories.

drummagick
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: New at Costco ??? - Tue, 06/26/07 4:08 PM
"The Polish Dog and Coke for $1.50 is our staple lunch when we make a Costco Run. I have asked the Management to stock the Polish Sausages in the meat department without any success (so far). I would love to have them at home!"

Mayor Al, our Costco carries these for sale, and also the same rolls they use at the food stand. We got some once, and we all agreed that although they were wonderful at home, they taste much better at the store. I think you have to have the whole experience thing going.

We have been Costco members almost since the first store opened. We love them too!

Last year I got my eye exam and new glasses in their optical dept. for the first time. Found a cute frame (Kirkland brand and very inexpensive), ordered my usual bifocal/extra-light plastic lense/scratch resistant and anti-glare coating. The woman tallys everything up and says $130. I asked her what she left off the invoice, because my previous pair of glasses was over $300, for the same features.
And, their optometrist got my prescription PERFECT, where my last 2 pair from other offices never did seem right.

mayor al
RE: New at Costco ??? - Tue, 06/26/07 4:31 PM

I alternate between the Polish dog and the slice (combination) of Pizza, while my wife likes the Chicken-Bake...but Yeah, we do lunch there after shopping also. I have discussed with the store management the possibility of having these Polish Dogs available in the Meat/Deli section of the store, but so far they have not responded to my request.
We really do love the Garlic Roast-Italian bread and buy it frequently.

One thing we enjoy here in the Mid-West (Louisville), Perhaps because the store is the only Costco in the area, and just 6 months old (with 3 Sams Club within 25 miles), Anyway, we don't have the crowds and long lines at the registers that we recall from our SoCal Costco's. Most of the time we can walk directly up to a register...or perhaps wait behind one person, but we have yet to face the long waits and busy checkouts that we had in Victorville, or Colton/Ontario!!

dustydog
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: New at Costco ??? - Tue, 06/26/07 5:10 PM
The Costco here in Raleigh had fresh rainbow trout..six to a package...not frozen. I think their hamburger is the freshest I've had in years. Great vegetables, cheese and cold cuts selection. I also got (and this is not food related) a Kawasaki 19.5 volt drill for 29.95 and 114 pc drill bit setw/doorlock drills for the same drill for 14.00...unbeliveable...but not as unbelievable as the delicious apricot stilton cheese...We also have a Trader Joes here now and it is stupendous. I still have to travel to Chapel Hill to Southern Season to get my German mustards, curry ketchup, curry sauce, etc..It's going to be a great summer!

mlinkinhoker
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 06/27/07 10:01 PM
I live in Costco - they know me by name and I know them by name. There isn't much I don't buy there but here is a pix of a party I 'catered' for my husband's OSU alumni club several weeks ago - not possible without Costco. I can count on their quality and that is very important.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb34/MusicCityMissy/OSU%20Reception/

Menu:
Cheese board - Rosy Goat, Spanish Manchego, Appenzeller, Goat, Brie, Shropshire Blue (my new favorite - this is GREAT stuff and a fairly new addition for Costco) - all from Costco and served on bamboo cutting boards from Costco.

Rillettes au deux Saumons - made with butter, smoked salmon, fresh salmon, fresh lemon juice (all from Costco) along with a few other ingredients.

Antipasto platter - Roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts (a GREAT BUY), marinated mushrooms, marinated mozzarella, marinated mixed olives, anchovies all from Costco along with a few other items - served on hammered copper tray from Costco

Bagna Cauda & Crudites - olive oil, anchovies & garlic for dip all from Costco, sweet peas, asparagus, peppers, green beans, tomatoes all from Costco

Poppy Seed Ham Rolls (made by host's fiance) Swiss cheese from Costco, ham could have been but she had already bought it

Shrimp with mango coconut dipping sauce and kicked up cocktail sauce - shrimp, lemons, coctail sauce all from Costco and served in glass bowl from Costco

Beef Tenderloin - from Costco

Laquered Bacon - Kirkland bacon glazed with a sugar mixture including brown sugar from Costco

Pink Peppercorn Feta - feta from Costco and olive oil served on hammered copper tray from Costco

Desserts - Fruits - mainly from Costco, cream puffs from Costco (buckeye candies made by another club member), stuffed strawberries - strawberries from Costco, Lemon curd tarts - made with lemons, sugar and butter from Costco - all served on tiered stand from Costco

Trayed and passed (no pix - sorry forgot):
Cucumber cups with lobster spread - all from Costco
Black Olive Tapenade on Crostini - from Costco
Hot Brie Kisses - Brie from Costco
Served on laquered wicker trays from Costco

Paper products, chips, crackers, breads Marcona almonds all from Costco.

So let's see, I sleep on a mattress from Costco on sheets from Costco, take a bath with products all from Costco, brush my teeth with brushes and toothpaste from Costco, My toilet paper is from Costco, trash can liners from Costco, sitting here in lounge pants from Costco drinking a coke from Costco (about to switch to wine from Costco - the one in B'ham that actually sells it IN the store!), wearing some Borghese makeup made especially for Costco (I've been using Borghese for about 30 years and still use some original but use some of the Kirkland/Borghese) eating kielbasa sausage from Costco talking on phones from Costco cooking in pans from Costco on a grill from Costco driving on a car with tires from Costco looking at TV through contact lenses from Costco. Need I keep going on????

I have taken one or two things back - a water hose last year that really was disappointing especially since the one we bought from them the year before was such great quality. And a sprayer that was just a fluke - the second one was fine.

We always look up Costco stores everywhere we travel because we do find different things even across town - we've shopped them as far away as Reading England.

Salustra
RE: New at Costco ??? - Thu, 06/28/07 11:46 AM
mlinkinhoker-You could be a feature article in the Costco magazine!
Hope the rest of the party was as good as the food...

rongmtek
  • Total Posts : 503
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 06/29/07 9:13 AM
That was a beautiful job! I'd be very interested to know how many people attended this party, and about how much you spent to do this great-looking spread.
Ron

mlinkinhoker
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sat, 06/30/07 12:19 PM
We had 31 out of the 40 that RSVP'd which was good considering we had a big rainstorm just before it started and it was on a Friday night with LOTS of big things going on around town that night/weekend.

The food - not including paper products, alcohol and such was around $450 and I done a more than thorough evaluation of what went over and why, what didn't and why, and what was wrong with the layout and flow.

morningglory
  • Total Posts : 559
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sat, 06/30/07 9:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mlinkinhoker

We had 31 out of the 40 that RSVP'd which was good considering we had a big rainstorm just before it started and it was on a Friday night with LOTS of big things going on around town that night/weekend.

The food - not including paper products, alcohol and such was around $450 and I done a more than thorough evaluation of what went over and why, what didn't and why, and what was wrong with the layout and flow.

I thought everything looked wonderful and very appetizing. And also, attractive, to the eye. Would you care to briefly share some of your above insights? Are you a professional caterer?

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sat, 06/30/07 10:02 PM
I don't know whether it's new, but in the spice row, I recently spotted and purchased a disposable pepper grinder filled with Tellicherry peppercorns. I like it.[code][/code]

mlinkinhoker
RE: New at Costco ??? - Sat, 06/30/07 10:33 PM
Poverty Pete - I got just the container of the tellicherry peppercorns the other day because I have plenty of peppermills but they were great. And they have some new spice blends in these round containers with sort of a copperish colored label - I have too many similar blends right now to buy them but a friend tried some and said they were very good.

Morning Glory - I started doing cakes and catering when I was about 16 and I am way past that age now. I quit that many many years ago but then about 2 1/2 years ago decided since I didn't have a degree but have a great career, I was going to go back to school and get a degree and getting one in my career wouldn't be that useful so why not do something I love - so I am a few classes away from having my AAS Degree in Culinary Arts and then want to roll it into a BS in something related such as a hospitality degree. It's all part of what I call my retirement plan to teach, do consulting, etc. and it's also paying off in my work now. So that's my story. Dad was a fireman and mom was from a large family so between the two I grew up learning to cook and cook for large groups.

As for the assessment of what I would do different next time - rain threw a kink into our plan to have the party around the pool and have people circulate in for the food. It was gone and was pleasant outside but they started coming in the front door at the opposite end of where we wanted them to start and we never could get it going the way we wanted. So the layout was turned wrong in the end and the bar was too close to the side with the antipasto, bagna cauda/crudite, and cheese so they barely got touched because there was no flow on that side of the table - just congestion. Also - people weren't familiar with the salmon rillettes or the bagna cauda. So on that note - I think a nice menu at the start helps people or markers saying what things are. The host wanted upscale but this was not exactly an upscale crowd. Instead of taking the plates and fixing them - they stood and the table eating off the trays and drinking.

All the trayed stuff went over pretty good except the lobster spread on the cucumber cups. I think had I put it on anything other than cucumber it would have been just as big of a hit.

There was also a huge selection of foods and people are going to try to eat things they are familiar with and they perceive to be the best - hence the beef tenderloin was gone, the bacon, the shrimp.

I will also say that the amount spent covered a lot of food that was excess and leftover. I went over the next night and made a pasta dish with all the veggies from the crudite and salad from the leaf lettuce garnish, black pepper almonds and the shropshire blue cheese. Lots of the antipasto leftover but it keeps well and goes into other things great - throw the artichoke hearts in with chicken, pastas, etc. Make pasta salad with the antipasto and crudites. So it was a lot of food for the money.

GKParks
RE: New at Costco ??? - Thu, 08/2/07 7:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bumper

Costco is coming to Turkey Creek Development in Knoxville .

Gary

Any updates on Costco coming to Knoxville? I really wish they would!

Glenda

MikeS.
RE: New at Costco ??? - Thu, 08/2/07 8:40 AM
We've been members of Costco sincd they 1st opened in Fresno 22 years ago. I dislike when I have to go somewhere else to buy something. They take such good care of us customers, all stores should be like that.

I bought some portabello stuffed flank staeks last week to try, Ava and I loved them. PP as usual didn't Oh well, Ava and I will enjoy them again sometime.

MikeS.

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2657
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 12/5/07 12:01 PM
Went to Costco in Oak Brook, IL on Sunday. My boys and I like the various breakfast cakes in the bakery section. Over the summer, they had a mixed berry cake/coffee cake that was great. It was probably seasonal and disappeared in August. This time, we spotted a Pomegranate Cranberry Cake and grabbed it quick. Shaped like a Bundt Cake, dense like a pound cake, it has a crumbly topping with the two fruits in the batter and the topping. Weighing in at 60 oz., it is item number 2965 and was priced at $9.99. It was gone in two breakfasts!

On a different note, our Costco gas continues to be less of a bargain than other reported Costco prices. While Chicago has had some of the highest gas prices in the country, Sunday's price was $3.04 which matched all the local stations. Not sure why we don't see the big differences reported by others.

mayor al
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 12/5/07 4:52 PM

They replaced the apple muffins with a pumpkin/choc chip flavor. Not a good switch in our judgement.
The holiday Pecan Pie is gone now, so we will start thinking about another Costco run in a week or so.
I enjoy wandering thru the large collection of big-screen TV's...We aren't in the market for one yet, but between the recent Consumer Reports reviews and the large number of choices at Costco, I am learning a lot about them.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13402
RE: New at Costco ??? - Wed, 12/5/07 5:02 PM
quote:

They replaced the apple muffins with a pumpkin/choc chip flavor. Not a good switch in our judgement.
The holiday Pecan Pie is gone now, so we will start thinking about another Costco run in a week or so.
I enjoy wandering thru the large collection of big-screen TV's...We aren't in the market for one yet, but between the recent Consumer Reports reviews and the large number of choices at Costco, I am learning a lot about them.

Al, I just bought two of the TV's. I bought everything ComCast has including all of their movies. I got two of their receivers for high def.

I bought what CNET suggested with the Panasonic. I bought the 50 inch for my den and the 42 inch for my study. I also bought the Panasonic home theatre system for my den and study.

To research it, I suggest:

http://www.cnet.com/
Very good

Paul E. Smith

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2657
RE: New at Costco ??? - Thu, 12/6/07 12:38 PM
Al - While we intially thought the pumpkin/chocolate chip would be good, we found it to be very dry. A few seconds in the microwave helped a little - and melted the chocolate - but we were overall disappointed.

douginvirginia
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: New at Costco ??? - Thu, 12/6/07 3:15 PM
All, try the pumpkin cheesecake - you won't regret it.

doug

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: New at Costco ??? - Fri, 12/7/07 5:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7 I wish Costco would open a store in Knoxville!!

I guess Walmart and Sams have them locked out?
Don't be surprised. Sam's used to have a warehouse near the school I went to (Hawley Road in Milwaukee, WI), but closed it after two years or so. It now sits empty, to the best of my knowledge. Why did they do this? I can't state this as a hard and fast fact, but I'm betting the fact that it used to be Milwaukee's sole Price Club had a lot to do with that sound business decision.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt When all you buy for is one old fart who doesn't eat much and can easily exist on a hundred bucks worth of groceries a month, Costco's a bit of overkill.

Ditto too from this old fart.
You know what happens when two old farts get together? Braaap, braaap.
They share an order from the local warehouse store?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 121