New at Costco ???

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Filet Mignon
2007/04/25 09:40:57
I'm not sure if we've ever has a what's good at Costco thread.

I was talking with a friend the other day adn realized their offering have been going upscale-ish over time.

They too are always getting new items in.

What are your favorites?

Their frozen broccoli and other vegetables are superb.

We had the cryovac beef loin the other day and it was superb.

firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 09:49:42
Anything Kirkland brand is going to be way above average and a excellent value. My favorite item is the cheese ravioli by Kirkland.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 10:49:57
There are a couple of Costco threads floating around here somewhere. No Matter.
We recently tried the Rack of Lamb...Outstanding and a good value for the money.

I like the 4 lb bags of frozen "3 Berries" (BlueBerry,Raspberry, and MarionBerry). They mix well in any sort of baking project, on cereal, and just a cupful semi-thawed now and then.

The Bakery-- Sheet cakes are delicious and a real bargain for family gatherings. The Italian Bread with Roasted Garlic 2 large loaves to a bag are also great. AND we like the assorted Muffins--Blueberry, Apple Carmel, and BananaNut are our first choice, but the Chocolate and the Poppyseed-Lemon are good too. A dozen will last us for several weeks by storing them individually in the freezer.

In the seafood the Scallops have been a good buy as is the Stuffed Salmon filet. Janet likes the Hamburger also. The ratio of fat to lean seems to make great burgers. Finally- The Kirkland Thick Sliced Bacon is OUTSTANDING.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 11:15:21
Love Costco, I don't think I'd live in an area w/o a Costco within about an hour drive. We buy laundry products, bath soap, meats, batteries, frozen fish, hamburger patties, cereal, yard equipment, toys and tools. Ohh and gas when I'm there or close by.

MikeS.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 11:34:40
My Costco has real corned beef now, in addition to the pastrami. In a place where nobody knows either, even a good product is better than none.

And I just picked up a folding ladder and household fire extinguishers at pretty good prices. When my cell phone contract runs out, I'll go with what the cell kiosk in my Costco offers -- some add-ons and rebates to their package makes a good deal.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 11:39:33
I think EVERYTHING is GOOD at Costco!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 11:42:01
I'll bet that not everyone knows that Costco has the loooooowest prices on tires.
Especially, Michelin's.
rongmtek
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 11:56:35
The things I buy repeatedly at COSTCO:
pineapples
aged Vermont cheddar
ciabatta rolls, other breads, muffins
staples (Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, Gulden's & dijon mustard,
2-lb bags of shelled pistachios, dried apricots, onions, basmati rice)
When holidays are around the corner, I usually look around for the mass quantity stuff (meats, vegetables, etc)

SAM'S CLUB has beef short ribs that I really like, usually between 2.00-2.50/lb.
sudie
Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 12:22:46
We regularly buy:
Nuts
Olive Oil
Kirkland Coffee
Packaged sliced turkey and ham (great for a quick packed lunch)
Grated parmesan and bulk cheeses
Goat cheese, feta and bleu cheese
Salsa
Romaine hearts
Fresh lamb and beef
Roasted chicken
Dog food
Fresh berries and nuts
We also found they have great buys on garden necessities, iPods, Tvs, my husband loves their Tshirts, and their liquid detergent which was top rated by Consumers Report is the best. And books..I rearely leave w/o a new book or 2.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 12:26:04
They opened a Costco in the Columbus area last fall, but I still haven't gotten there. One of these days ...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 12:30:43
I wish Costco would open a store in Knoxville!!

I guess Walmart and Sams have them locked out?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 13:23:05
COSTCO......I just love the restrooms, ......... always very clean and I'm so intrigued with the auto stick your hand in the sink and water comes out...........wow
and hold on to your hat the same thing when you reach for a paper towel ..yep automatically the paper dispenser senses your wet hand and automatically dispenses a 9 inch sheet of Kirkland brand paper towel ................
More times then not Linda and I will be driving around town and suddenly and spontaneously we'll decide to go visit a Costco Restroom............... yep we are hooked on Costco,
We have 23 Costco stores in the Bay Area all within 50 miles so you see we save a bundle on Kirkland brand paper products ....and sometimes we even shop there.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 13:29:01
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

COSTCO......I just love the restrooms, ......... always very clean and I'm so intrigued with the auto stick your hand in the sink and water comes out...........wow
and hold on to your hat the same thing when you reach for a paper towel ..yep automatically the paper dispenser senses your wet hand and automatically dispenses a 9 inch sheet of Kirkland brand paper towel ................
More times then not Linda and I will be driving around town and suddenly and spontaneously we'll decide to go visit a Costco Restroom............... yep we are hooked on Costco,
We have 23 Costco stores in the Bay Area all within 50 miles so you see we save a bundle on Kirkland brand paper products ....and sometimes we even shop there.

Clearly, you should be a contributor to this site:
http://urinal.net/google_search.html?q=costco&sa=Search
bumper
Hamburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 13:37:25
Costco is coming to Turkey Creek Development in Knoxville .

Gary
sizz
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 13:37:31
..................................lolquote:
wheregreggeats.com Posted - 04/25/2007 : 13:29:01
Clearly, you should be a contributor to this site:
http://urinal.net/google_search.html?q=costco&sa=Search

Yesiree-Bob ............. that's what I'm talking about
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 13:38:57
Re: The restrooms. I love the fact that they use their brand (Kirkland) (real) toilet tissue.
Not those rediculous thin skinny rolls of paper thin tissue that most places do.
And, yes, we buy all Kirkland paper products for home and office.
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 14:16:52
Sams closed, for whatever reasons.

So, I moved across the street to Costco.

I love shopping there, and their food court.

The $ 1.50 hot dog and all you can drink is a bargain.

I also love the "samples".....

I guess I am easy to please....

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 14:20:00
quote:
Originally posted by bumper

Costco is coming to Turkey Creek Development in Knoxville .

Gary

Great news Bumper.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 14:44:47
Morning Glory
The Polish Dog and Coke for $1.50 is our staple lunch when we make a Costco Run. I have asked the Management to stock the Polish Sausages in the meat department without any success (so far). I would love to have them at home!
planojim
Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 15:32:55
we buy:

Tillamook sharp cheddar $7 for 2 lbs.
spiral cut hams for $2.09/lb
bartlett pears (for some reason they get the best pears)
Shiner for $18.29/case
black forest ham deli meat
1/4lb Hebrew National hot dogs
Pwingsx
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 15:38:21
Ketchup! Great, big, ginormous, vacuum-sealed bottles of KETCHUP!!!!

xannie_01
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 15:49:35
laundry detergent and fabric softener.
LuckyLabrador
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 17:04:38
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

I'll bet that not everyone knows that Costco has the loooooowest prices on tires.
Especially, Michelin's.

True, but they're incredibly tough and chewy!
LuckyLabrador
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 17:14:07
The Flowers are an incredible bargain...and tasty!
The new Chicken salad they are making, great Buffalo wings, all the Meats and Seafood, giant Crab Legs, the Danish, the Bruschetta and Garlic Artichoke dip... come to think of it EVERYTHING!!!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 18:58:59
quote:
Originally posted by LuckyLabrador

quote:

Especially, Michelin's.

True, but they're incredibly tough and chewy!

Helloooooooo! Everyone knows you have to cook them first. (LOL)
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 20:30:09
I think if you checked the MICHELIN GUIDE you'd see that, cooked or not, it isn't road food unless it gets less than two stars ...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 20:49:47

"I think if you checked the MICHELIN GUIDE you'd see that, cooked or not, it isn't road food unless it gets less than two stars ..."

... or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first! ()
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 21:41:12
When all you buy for is one old fart who doesn't eat much and can easily exist on a hundred bucks worth of groceries a month, Costco's a bit of overkill.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/25 22:00:39
quote:
Originally posted by rongmtek

The things I buy repeatedly at COSTCO

SAM'S CLUB has beef short ribs that I really like, usually between 2.00-2.50/lb.

thanks for the tip on the beef short ribs.......as I have a hard time consistently finding beef ribs in the supermarkets..

Sams Club is only about a mile away from my condo; Costco is more like an hour and a half away
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 00:13:07
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

When all you buy for is one old fart who doesn't eat much and can easily exist on a hundred bucks worth of groceries a month, Costco's a bit of overkill.

Ditto too from this old fart.
You know what happens when two old farts get together? Braaap, braaap.
sizz
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 00:39:07
I know we all had a little fun at Costco's expense but if the truth be known I and Linda will be in and out of a Costco store at least twice a week................... we do have so many of them all around us and it's so easy to kill some time walking around looking at the "stuff" ........

I don't know if you folks knew this but not all Costco stores sell the same thing. The Costco in Gilroy CA ( my favorite and just down the road) is the largest Costco I have ever seen and will have different food stuff and clothing then the Costco that is our regular store 2 miles from home.

We here in SF Bay Area have something like 23 Costco stores and every one of them has that wonderful Apple Pie and every one of them will have something different then the other.
Where you'll really see the big difference in it's stores is when we hit the road and visit Costco stores in other states............... and other countries. We shopped at a Costco in London when Linda was staying with our daughter during the birth of our granddaughter Francesca..........

"what's new at Costco?"

Molinari salami................
Kasper Hot Dogs .only in the Bay Area
BBQ ribs (wet) hot off a rotisserie in house
and some stores roast coffee beans in house
cornfed
Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 01:22:15
Costco mashed potatoes. I could live off them. In fact, I pretty much do.
amberwave
Junior Burger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 03:50:13
I go to buy there Black Olives, Peaches in a jar( there so darn good ) tuna , crackers, chicken noodle soup, and there great hamburger 5 rolls to a bag..top of the line in meat ,OH and there Kirkland Ham to die for ....in the red bag,thats just a few things ...going to go there Sat. and they have handicap scooters for us disabled.I have the black card and I usualy get enough back at the end of the yr. it pays for itself ( the membership)
jmckee
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 08:10:32
A co-worker -- my new boss, in fact -- turned me on to Costco; he swears by their produce.

I like the pepper shooters (big green cherry peppers stuffed with provolone and prosciutto), the fresh ravioli of various types, the Garden Gourmet salsa.....

I really like their pizzas -- but found I can't store one in my refrigerator!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 11:02:12
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

A co-worker -- my new boss, in fact -- turned me on to Costco; he swears by their produce.

I like the pepper shooters (big green cherry peppers stuffed with provolone and prosciutto), the fresh ravioli of various types, the Garden Gourmet salsa.....

The Costco pizzas' are fabulous! So big in fact, that they are almost too large to fit in a normal sized oven. You have to bend one side up a bit to make it fit.
There only $7.99 at the East Plano, Texas store.
sudie
Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 11:45:52
I forgot about the 2 pack of jars of jumbo olives...superb in a martini, and the jars of marinated artichoke hearts. They have discounted gift cards for a new, fancy restaurant at our Costco, and I forgot the Tillamook cheese...excellent. They have great towels, too. Amazing how much we can spend for just the two of us.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 11:51:48
When we don't feel like a Polish Dog treat at the snack bar we sometimes will get a slice of the Combo Pizza. I am not a real pizza fan, but this one is quite good, and always hot and fresh.

Sizzzzz err Frank- We used to get the 'Very' Wet Ribs at the Costco we shopped in SoCal. Here in Louisville they have them "now and then".

We also enjoy the 'oversized' pies..Pecan in season..and the Carmel Apple year-round. In the summer they have a three berry pie that is outstanding. We are anticipating it's arrival for the season shortly !!
LuckyLabrador
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 12:33:36
quote:

Join anyhow, get great prices on gas AND tires, eat all the samples, you'll spend even less!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 12:43:17
You can make a full meal on their samples alone. Start with appetizers, then main courses, and finally, dessert. And, the sample portions are 3 times the size of other stores. Sometimes, I actually feel guilty going back for seconds and even thirds of items I really like. Then I look at my black executive card and say,
Hey! I'm paying for it anyway. I might as well enjoy the perks.
And that reminds me, Where else can you buy over 2lbs. of fresh whole bean coffee that you grind in store for $7.59. Thats less than $3.50 a pound!
Tedbear
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 12:49:20
Just by buying one set of tires, you would save at least $100. over the cost at most tire retailers. Plus, Costco includes a Road Hazard Warranty and free lifetime tire rotation, which regular retailers usually offer only at extra cost. Since the membership is about $40. per year (IIRC), it really seems like the membership more than pays for itself when someone buys tires. Also--the Kirkland car batteries are the same as the Sears Diehard, but at a significantly lower price (about half, IIRC).

Not everything at Costco comes in a super-size package, and the saving on things like liters of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and "normal-size" bags of salmon burgers, frozen scallops, etc. are too good to miss, IMHO.
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 12:51:49
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Morning Glory
The Polish Dog and Coke for $1.50 is our staple lunch when we make a Costco Run. I have asked the Management to stock the Polish Sausages in the meat department without any success (so far). I would love to have them at home!

Thank you for your response, Mr. Mayor,

I also love my Polish Dog and drink lunch. I really am a cheap date. LOL. As much that is written on these boards, value and taste-wise, the Costco lunch, can't be beat, IMO.

I forgot to say, I love all the Kirkland brand products. One item I really like is their boneless chicken breasts, which come in big packs, but 1-2 breasts are individually wrapped for the freezer. OMG, that is so perfect for someone like me. Hubby deceased and kids are on their own,so it makes cooking for one, a bit easier.

I have to say, the same for other Kirkland products. They have been dependable and superior. I have never been disappointed.

I love Costco!

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 12:52:52
Att: Costco excecutives: Hope you are reading all the nice things we are saying about your great store!
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 13:14:44
quote:

I guess I qualify for this "old fart" catagory with my girls grown and hubby deceased.

However, I still try to keep my budget down, and am carefull, and try to eat well. At my age, my portions are small. I can only eat so much.

Hey, I am not dead, and I still enjoy the challenge of controlling my food budget. I seem to have no controll over other expenses, like utilities.

I love my membership in Costco, and going there to shop.

When I die, my garage will be filled with their:

paper products,
laundry items,
various types of rice and other products with long life spans,
cat food,
canned goods,
cleaning products,
Many canned/bottled foods in bulk,like pickles etc,. with long life span.

I love Costco

jmckee
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 13:32:10
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

The Costco pizzas' are fabulous! So big in fact, that they are almost too large to fit in a normal sized oven. You have to bend one side up a bit to make it fit.
There only $7.99 at the East Plano, Texas store.

Let me tell a story with me as the butt of the joke.

It's so big, it won't fit on any of my baking sheets. And I can't put it directly on the rack, because I'm a klutz and would surely drop it on the floor of the oven.

So I took my two biggest sheets and fastened them together by banding them with aluminum foil.

A little awkward, but it worked.

I like the less expensive gas too. And I buy my Jif there -- not even seven bucks for two 48-oz. jars. The 40 oz jar runs a little less than that at the grocery.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 13:58:48
Putting in a plug for Costco's pharmacy:
We recently discovered that we can get several of our prescriptions at $10 per 100 count, paying cash at Costco. The same prescriptions would cost $20 co-pay per 90 through our insurance plan.

Also, they will special order my contact lens solution and cleanser, and eye drops for me at about 30% less than I was paying at Longs for too many years. These are regular OTC items, but not popular enough for them to carry them in regular inventory. No hesitation at all when I asked if they could special order. Hurray for good customer service!

I have an Executive membership and use my Costco Amex card for all Costco purchases. Last year, I earned enough on the 2% Executive rebate to more than pay for the membership and with the additional Amex rebate I paid for two weeks' Costco trips!

callmebruce
Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 14:04:03
Costco is great! They're part of my Saturday morning routine. I like their chicken breasts. The beef is cut huge, so I try and trim them down a bit at home. Fresh fruit and veggies are good. Their coffee seemed a little weak, I may not have ground it correctly. I don't like the Kirkland frozen vegetables at all, so I go elsewhere for that.

Gas prices are good. I haven't tried them for tires or car battery yet. I'll check that out when needed. And a buck fifty for lunch? Cool!
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 14:07:01
Things I bought at Costco, electric generator for blackouts, snow blower, Honda engine pressure washer and Honda engine lawn mower. Clothes washer, dryer and dish washer, freezer. Several Makita tools, a set of 1/2" sockets and a set of 1/4 and 3/8 sockets, wrench set both metric and SAE, set of vise grips and channel lock pliers. 2 Electric extension cord reels. Plus a bunch more little stuff.

We joined back about 1988 when they opened the first Fresno warehouse, they now have 3 in the immediate area. We now drive about 17 miles to the nearest store, but with our trips to the greater DC area we'll stop at others.

MikeS.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 14:32:38
Having contributed several "I Love Costco" Posts I will say that we have found one item that for some reason just doesn't do the job.
We bought a large 'tub/bucket' of Kirkland powdered laundry detergent. It absolutely refuses to dissolve in cold water...the way we do most of our normal laundry. This may be due to the water "softening" qualities in our local water...but It doesn't due what most detergents should do.

Now we can call this a "balanced" presentation !
xannie_01
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 14:48:04
consumer reports magazine found that
the kirkland brand of liquid laundry detergent was
every bit as good as liquid tide.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 15:05:35

The difference being the powder vs the liquid. Live and Learn !!
Pwingsx
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 15:18:58
I find Kirkland to be consistently better than any other 'generic' brand I've ever run across.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 15:31:48
In my 35mm photo days Kirkland color print film was always a great buy. 10 rolls for $10 and excellent quality..(Agfa film in Kirkland containers) I used hundreds of rolls of it for a decade or two.

I mentioned the Kirkland Bacon in my earlier post. My sister likes the regular sliced packages...4 One Lb.packages for $8 or $9. We like the Maple Smoked Thick Sliced version. 2 - 2 Lb. packages connected to make one 4 Lb. package for $10. Since it is all clear wrap you can see the 'lean to fat ratio' easily. It cooks flat in the pan and leaves a wonderful after-smell in the Kitchen when it is finished (and it tastes GREAT). I would love to have one of those Car Air Freshener aerosol can with this scent in it.

Last rant for this post... McCormick Spices. The Large containers of Garlic Salt, Garlic Pepper, Lemon Pepper, and the various Montreal Seasonings, all in the $5 or so price range. A real bargain when compared to the little 2 or 3 oz tube sold in other stores.
ernieson
Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 15:35:11
Costco recently opened in Lousiville, Kentucky. For a transplanted Oregonian living in Lexington, a connection to Tillamook cheese is a godsend! We were traveling the opposite direction to Cincy for limited selection of Tillamook cheeses at Jungle Jim's, but the choice and price is better at Costco. (But the Cincy trips included a stop a Trader Joe's, which Lousiville lacks, so I guess you can't win them all.)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 15:42:42
Ernieson,
We did the same thing. There is a Costco just a couple of miles from Jungle Jims (on I-275 at I-75), so we would make the 240 mile round-trip if we could get to both of those places in one day...or stopped on our way home from somewhere else. Now that we have a Louisville Costco, our Jungle Jim visits have been rather limited. As it is the Louisville store is almost 30 miles each way, so we make a list and plan our visits!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 15:45:35
I understand that Costco will be building a new facility in Knoxville. After all these post indicating how great they are, I am excited and I cannot wait to visit.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 17:34:14
We have all raved about the products we buy at Costco. Now I want to rave about their personnel.The people that work there at Costco are just great. All are informed, helpful and polite. A huge difference from the (indifferent) staff at Sam's
Pwingsx
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 17:43:33
We've run the gamut of the products at Cocstco, from auto repair, hearing aids, electronics and groceries. Wally World should be very afraid. (Yeah, I wish.)
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 18:24:32
In Chicago they sell Crab Legs the size of Baseball bats!! $9.99 @ pound. Are they available anywhere in the country?? They are Great, get some fresh baked buns from Costco and a LB. of Kirkland Brand butter and you got some good eatin'.
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/26 18:25:14
quote:

We have all raved about the products we buy at Costco. Now I want to rave about their personnel.The people that work there at Costco are just great. All are informed, helpful and polite. A huge difference from the (indifferent) staff at Sam's

Wow you are so right on.

I love their staff. They are always so kind and wise. They go out of their way to help me and answer my questions.

Costco is GREAT and I love them...

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: New at Costco ??? 2007/04/27 03:21:30
Do any of you have the car, home or other property insurance policy through Costco? I have recently got some offers through the mail from Costco and was wondering about your opinions. Currently, I use GEICO for my car, home (which is underwritten by Traveler's) and scooter (motorcycle).

any thoughts would be great.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3