What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

Cheeseburger
2003/08/06 22:03:22
This is a popular thread in another site I frequent, and thought it would go over big here. It should make us all mighty hungry.

My lunch today from QF&H Soul Food Restaurant in Milwaukee:
-cornmeal fried catfish (4 big pieces)
-side of really custardy homemeade mac&cheese
-melty soft string beans
-little cornbread muffins (kind of dry)
-sweet tea
-1/2 piece sweet potato pie, 1/2 fried peach pie

Hotrodder
Hamburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/06 22:08:33
Lunch today was 2 grilled cheese (extra sharp cheddar) sandwitches and a big bowl of leftover potato soup (with the rest of the cheese dumped in it)
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/06 22:14:37
Two Coney Island hot dogs

well done fries

lotsa ice cold Coke

Today I am a Cheeseburger!!
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/06 22:35:02
Two hot dogs w/yellow mustard and diced onions, large fries, extra large Birch Beer at Jimmy John's in Concordville, PA on Rt. 202.
RubyRose
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/06 22:35:39
Our whole family had a packed lunch today and we all took the same:
mini bagel with spinach, tomato, rare roast beef and horseradish sauce
mini bagel with ham, swiss cheese and mustard
small container of portabella mushroom, eggplant and red pepper salad
2 plums
slice of apricot nut bread
husband had coffee, I had iced tea, daughter had seltzer water
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/06 22:42:22
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

Two hot dogs w/yellow mustard and diced onions, large fries, extra large Birch Beer at Jimmy John's in Concordville, PA on Rt. 202.

Hey, CW, you KNOW those onions aren't good for your stomach! Try to be a little more careful next time, huh?
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/06 23:10:12
A baked potato stuffed with barbeque beef and mild sauce with "unsweet" tea from Country Joe's.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/06 23:29:08
Leftovers!.......................
Michael Stern
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 04:49:22
Sweet Italian sausage and roasted red peppers on a nice hero roll from Parma Market, an Italian sandwich shop in Ridgefield. Dessert:

Tommy B
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 07:19:00
I had a "Wrap" sandwich, consisting of Eggplant, Fresh Mozzarella, Roasted Peppers, Arugula, all on a spinach wrap.
I got this delicious lunch from, what is quickly becoming my favorite deli, A & A Fine Foods, in Lincoln Park New Jersey.
www.AAfinefoods.com
CheeseWit
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 07:45:35
Bushie: The only thing those onions aren't good for is my breath. My stomach tolerated them well. Jimmy John's is on my list of places to take you when you come up and visit. Gee, Bushie, you sound like my mom!
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Hey, CW, you KNOW those onions aren't good for your stomach! Try to be a little more careful next time, huh?
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 08:33:08
quote:

Bushie: The only thing those onions aren't good for is my breath. My stomach tolerated them well. Jimmy John's is on my list of places to take you when you come up and visit. Gee, Bushie, you sound like my mom!

Well, somebody's got to look after you until Jane takes over! I can't wait to come back up to Philly. I can tell you've got some great places lined up. I need to start planning...
CheeseWit
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 08:41:29
Bushie, FYI, Jane likes hers with brown mustard, onions AND sauerkraut. What a woman! Now you know why I'm marrying her. The Philly area will never be the same after you come up and we do the town!
CheeseWit
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 09:14:14
Michael Stern: I have a question. After that wonderful lunch of yours, what did you have for dinner?
Lone Star
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 10:25:31
Well, we ate at the Triple A cafe next door to the Farmers Market. I had:

Hamburger steak with onions and gravy
fried potatoes
english pea salad
collard greens
cornbread
sweet tea

Yum!

Afterwards, before we returned to the office, we walked over to the market where I bought blackeyed peas, cream peas, field corn , snap peas, new potatoes, and oranges.

I fixed the field corn for supper to go with some short ribs kraut, and there was not a kernel left.

Unfortunately, all I ate was some corn and sliced tomatoes due to the delicious lunch I had!
Rusty246
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 11:48:36
Cube steak with gravy, mashed potatoes, okra and tomatoes. Leftovers.....
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 12:13:43
Another regional diferent name for the same product: In Texas it seems to be "field corn", here in New York it is "sweet corn". Field corn is what we feed to the cattle up here.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 12:23:53
1/2 and 1/2 oyster shrimp po boy from Acme Oyster House and Sweet Tea. Acme uses Leidenheimer Bread for their sandwiches, the cadillac of po boy bread. 30 inches of semi crunchy on the outside, soft and delicious on the inside, goodness
Sweet scone for dessert from St John's coffee shop next door.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 12:30:11
Ceviche Tostada and barbacoa taco with chips and salsa from Casa Sanchez.
ksiegel@mac.com
Junior Burger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 13:29:52
A granola bar, a cup of cold coffee and a few raw celery sticks. Yes, I need help.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 13:43:48
Today's lunch was made yesterday, yesterday's lunch was forgotten at home so I had a pretty decent roast beef sub with mayo and mustard at a shack called the Weinie Wagon on the corner of Ill. Rte.47 and Main Street. He doesn't cook much on site but brings it in fresh each day, has everything set and does a pretty good job of putting it all together by himself. Seems real popular with the trucking crowd. Now my today lunch that was made yesterday was a very soggy salad.
Lone Star
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 13:51:15
Seafarer, field corn IS what is used to feed cattle, but people like it too! It is NOT sweet corn, which is what we like about it!
Lone Star
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 13:56:12
Today at lunch, after looking in some of the junk/antique stores for some old nightstands to refinsh for my daughter's room, I stopped by the Someburger shack.

You have to stand outside in the heat to order at the window (heat index here is 110 ) but it is worth it. You get a "Someburger" which reminds of a little town drive-in burger. Thin patty with a crusty edged toasted bun heaped with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, dill pickles, and lots of onions. Yum!

Someburger is not a chain, just a little joint here in the Houston Heights.
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 14:03:01
Bahn Mi (Vietnamese Sandwich), black rice pudding, and Thai Red Bull.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 14:04:02
Heading out on the boat to do some halibut and salmon fishing so lunch is going to be a sandwich on ciabatta bread consisting of prosciutto, grilled red peppers, garden tomato, basil leaves, fresh mozzarella and olive spread as the condiment. FISH ON!
chezkatie
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 14:35:54
I had a "famous olde tyme" Barq's root beer and a homemade banana muffin................but will make up for it this evening!
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 15:00:37
After pigging out on that "meat and three" in Little Rock yesterday, I just had a homemade ham and cheese sandwich (with some great fresh tomatoes and homemade pickles) for lunch today. Not bad, but sounds like most of you did better. Don't know what's on tap for supper today, but tomorrow noon hope to be able to hit what used to be (haven't been there in several years now) a fine plate lunch restaurant over at DeWitt, AR. As for the corn, to me field corn and sweet corn are two different "animals" Sweet corn from the garden for folks' eating and field corn from the field for feeding livestock, poultry, etc.. However, back when you could find non-hytbrid field corn, my dad and I, contrary to tastes of rest of family and of most people, much preferred the field corn to sweet corn. Just seemed to have more taste and substance to it in all regards. Maybe one reason for our preferring it was that we liked all corn, sweet & field, harder, more mature than did most people. The period of time for using field corn after it matured but before it got too hard was shorter than that for sweet corn. Also, for some biological or genetic reason, which I never knew or at least never understood, the field corn needed to be non-hybrid rather than the hybrid which most of today's corn is. Speaking here of "roasneers" (corn on cob); not fried corn, creamed corn whatever you want to call the cut off the cob type. For that sweet corn is best.
Lone Star
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 16:15:26
Like to eat, that is why I was so excited to find the field corn yesterday. You hardly ever see it anymore.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 16:30:05
Congratulations on your find, Lone Star. Finding that corn is some accomplishment! And its good to see someone else, now that my dad is gone, agrees with me about the merits of field corn. That corn with the ribs sounded wonderful. Also know you'll enjoy all those different kids of peas and the potatoes that you got. Your lunch yesterday was my kind of eating (except I'd want unsweetened tea). Believe yesterday was really a banner day for you what with that lunch, those finds, and that supper. Enjoy the remainder.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 16:38:14
Barbecue (from the guy with the portable smoker that sets up a mile or so down the road)
a cold glass bottle of Dr. Enuf
and a handfull of sweet cherries...
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 16:39:15
Oh, and a homegrown tomato and a cigar...
Hotrodder
Hamburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 17:12:38
Ahhh today was a good day, made some sloppy joe (It's more of a sweet BBQ than a manwich style) and some sun tea (unsweetened).
Cosmos
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 17:50:04
Pork Carolina and a pint of Labbatts at the Dinosaur :)
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 18:09:33
Today was our company picnic and as one of the "chefs", who as a quality control function have to "sample" everything nibbled on ribs, rib tips, chicken wings, steak tacos, mexican corn on the cob....and a lot of water. The grills get hot.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 21:32:46
Hot dog and frosty bites at the Yankee game.
elcoraidercheer
Junior Burger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 22:35:44
I went to Isaac's Restaurant & Deli for lunch. Where I ate half of a "Whooping Crane" (no cheese), some of Isaacs' AWESOME Pickle Mix, and drank Dr. Brown's Diet Cream Soda. However when I got home I was still a little hungry, so I ate some Li Hing Mangos and drank some hot chocolate Then I was satisfied
http://www.isaacsdeli.com/index.asp

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 22:37:33
Airplane food. Yuck! I am not exactly sure what it was.
Linda Gebhardt
Hamburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/07 23:46:27
I ate at home today. Good old boloney with american cheese and honey mustard on oatmeal bread, pretzels and a diet coke rounded out my "eat while studying for final" lunch.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/08 01:41:35
Leftovers.......Again!
chilidawgguy
Junior Burger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/12 17:30:31
Homemade pimento cheese on white toast and peach cobbler. And tonight? Buffalo wings, black pepper mashed potato salad, collard greens with diced turnips, and store bought Parker House rolls. (Thank god for Lipitor!)
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/12 19:15:05
Came home and did fried hotdogs with relish, onions, diced tomatoes out of the garden, jalapenos, bell peppers, Housers chili (Great), mustard, mayo, crinkled french fries in the deep fryer, ketchup, cole slaw and a diet Coke.

Did the job super.

Also did the corn pie suggested by an earlier poster for dinner. Real Good

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/12 20:24:39
Had a "Rachel", a Reuben made with smoked turkey instead of corned beef, with iced tea and a little salad with red onion, grape tomatoes and blue cheese dressing at Hooligan's, a bar/restauarnt. And a coconut paleta from the popsicle lady who goes down my street walking her cart with the bell on it.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/12 22:42:23
A bologna on dark rye sandwich and a bowl of fresh blueberries in cream.
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/13 11:23:49
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Today at lunch, after looking in some of the junk/antique stores for some old nightstands to refinsh for my daughter's room, I stopped by the Someburger shack.

You have to stand outside in the heat to order at the window (heat index here is 110 ) but it is worth it. You get a "Someburger" which reminds of a little town drive-in burger. Thin patty with a crusty edged toasted bun heaped with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, dill pickles, and lots of onions. Yum!

Someburger is not a chain, just a little joint here in the Houston Heights.

Great burgers, Lonestar. I haven't been in about 2 months. It was a chain at one time - 50s, 60s; entirely local so maybe 'chain' is the wrong term. There were three locations still in existence in the mid-80s when I first discovered them.

They've fixed up that location on 11th - paved the parking lot for the first time, built some new picnic tables and painted them. (Still no drive-thru, no playground for kids, not even indoor seating). I wonder if they've got a new owner? I had heard a story that was the sole income for a widow and it would probably die when she did, but I've always thought somebody should take that over and build it back into a local chain. Among the best fast food burgers I've ever had I think in part because that stand is so tiny they can't keep supplies on hand for more than a couple of days, so everything is fresh!

BTW, have you ever had the burger at Triple A? I've heard it's one of the best in the city.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/13 12:37:23
I never eat lunch when I'm working. It makes me sleepy.
yumbo
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/13 14:10:04
I had the Marquette Special at Real Chili (Milwaukee). See my post under Roadhouse Sayings.
Lone Star
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/13 14:22:15
hermitt - I haven't had the burger at the Triple A, I can not get past the daily specials of meat and three's the times I have been there! The eggplant casserole is delicious. One of my co-workers always wants the fried chicken livers and we will call about 20 minutes ahead so they will be ready. I will make it a point to try the burger next time.

I don't know who runs the someburger now, but it seems there is always a line there of all kinds of people. I did not know it was once part of a small chain.

ocdreamr
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/13 14:39:43
Had leftovers for lunch today, 2 crab cakes, some potato salad and a large green salad.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/14 13:01:20
I had a very tasty tuna melt (see thread under sandwiches) at Eisenberg's Sandwich across from the Flatiron Building on 5th Avenue between 22nd and 23rd streets in NYC.
Lone Star
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/14 13:46:32
Went to Colinas, had a half order of chicken fettucine, salad, and divine breadsticks.
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/15 18:47:12
A steak and ale pie from OzPies, along with a little Greek chicken salad with tons of Kalamata olives, chunks of feta, carrot, yellow pear tomatoes in a lemon vinaigrette. And an orange Club soda. I think it's from Ireland, and I love it.
mousec
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/15 19:58:26
A slice of soggy Costco pizza and a coke.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/15 20:20:20
Monday-----In and Out Double Double Burger, Animal Style, fries and a Diet Pepsi.
Tuesday----Vietnamese Barbecue Pork Bahn Mi Sandwich with Vietnamese Spring Rolls and Vietnamese Iced Coffee from the My Lai Deli.
Wednesday/Thursday----Homemade pulled pork with Carolina Piedmont -style Vinegar sauce on a hamburger bun with cole slaw on it (well, 3 of them each day.......)and a Pepsi Lemon Twist.
Friday----Garlic Shrimp and Pineapple Spicy Chicken with Chow Mein Noodle and a Coke.

Have a happy weekend everyone!

jessicazee
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/16 20:14:27
From Trocadero in Milwaukee:
-Provence omelet (asparagus, tomatoes, mushroom with some gooey cheese inside, topped with chive aioli
-roasted potatoes
-country wheat toast
-kir

Then a snack of some good aged goat cheese with an ash layer & some blueberries.
ocdreamr
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/16 21:54:44
For the second day in a row I had a real homemade BLT

toasted bread - multi grain
lots of mayo, a little salt n'peppa,
thick slice of local tomato,
slice of sharp cheese,
lots of bacon,
romaine lettuce
served with bread & butter pickles

I just wish you could somehow wrap these up & keep them for a gray winter day, sigh
hermitt4d
Cheeseburger
RE: What Did You Have For Lunch Today? 2003/08/18 21:23:42
Thursday - Double Cheeseburger at Pete's Fine Meats - great burger, juiciest I've had in a long time; fresh and hot off the grill. I'm sure they grind their own meats; hand-formed patty.

Friday - chopped bbq beef sandwich at Burns BBQ. Very tasty. I've been hearing about this place for about a year and finally found it (I'm terrible at reading maps). Very mild sauce, similar to Otto's. Verrrrrrrry messy. They actually give you a plastic spoon along with the sandwich. Wanted to sample the ribs but couldn't make out the terminology on their menu to get the smallest order. Didn't need them anyway - I was full. Still, when it comes to bbq sandwiches, I think I prefer pulled pork to chopped beef.

Saturday - meant to go to Otilia's for chilis en nogados, but opted for the long drive (40mi or so round trip) to Burns for some ribs. Got delayed by a major traffic accident and bad weather and took the easy way out - another Double Cheeseburger at Pete's.

Sunday - Cleburne cafeteria - blackened catfish, broccoli, greens, custard pie. Superior cafeteria food.

Monday - chicken fried steak fingers at Smithhart's Downtown Grill, Lake Jackson. My fav way to eat cfs these days. Real roundsteak, not the stringy, tenderized cutlet most places use for cfs, pounded thin, cut in 1" wide strips about 8" long, battered and fried and served with real cream gravy and a pile of fries. This place has very limited hours so I don't get to eat there very often. Wish I could find a place in Houston that serves cfs fingers this good.