Is the line at Shake Shack worth it??

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 05/17/07 3:58 PM
My office is near Shake Shack on 23 St & Madison Ave in NYC and I've been wanting to try a burger. Everytime I go the line is s-o-o-o long and moves s-o-o-o slowly. The (one) line usually has about 30-40 people waiting to order. Probably a half-hour wait just to place an order, then a longer wait hanging outside until the burgers are done. It is filled with young hipsters who seem like they have hours to wait anyway. I look at these lines and it seems like a "scene" (see and be seen, too).

Can the burger be that good? Or is it just the thing to do with friends: like lets go to Shake Shack and catch up while we wait in line?

For extra credit: It you do think SS is that good, tell me the best time to go for shorter line....

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 05/17/07 11:27 PM
The burgers and the custard are outstanding, but not worth an hour's wait- but I don't think any burger could possibly be worth an hour's wait.

On a rainy weekday at around 4:00 there's no line. Every other moment they're open, prepare to wait. I walk by there twice a day and I'm always astounded at the lines.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Fri, 05/18/07 12:15 AM
I went there once and the line was about 20-25 minutes. I had a Shack Burger and fries. Thought it was pretty good. Not sure I'd wait an hour, but then I've waited 2 hors at the Syracuse Dinosaur (granted I could drink at the bar), an hour at Totonno's, and countless hours at the Big Apple BBQ, so what do I know. Seriously though, it's a good burger.

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 05/19/07 10:36 AM
No, go to a good deli down the street...just as bad for your heart.

NYNM
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 05/19/07 10:56 AM
The thing about the Shake Shack line is it is a single line, outdoors, in the park. They probably keep it this way for publicity. Anyway, maybe I'll try on the next rainy day.

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2012
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 05/19/07 11:28 AM
Personally, I don't think an hour’s wait at any restaurant is worth it. Unless someone else is buying.
There is too many other GOOD restaurants around with NO waiting.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 05/19/07 3:56 PM
The Shake Shack is problematic for local office workers. I sometimes wonder myself who has the time to wait on that line. I guess there are some companies in the area who don't keep tabs on how long their salaried workers spend out on lunch hour.

The big draw of the Shack is the Vienna Beef franks with the poppy seed rolls, brought in from Chicago, along with the traditional toppings. However, I don't think their burgers are worth such a long wait. Walk over to 23rd and Park Avenue South, across the street from Met Life, for a good burger joint. Sorry, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sun, 05/20/07 11:19 AM
I liked it better when Danny Meyer just served Chicago style and New York style hot dogs from the cart in the park. But the custard concoctions at Shake Shack are outstanding.

NYNM
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Mon, 05/21/07 11:48 AM
Okay, I did it!!! I got on line today at 11:10 and it was only 10 people, so I got my order in 15 min.
Report: Shack burger" Not that good. I like that it was "drippy" but can't say it was speoial.
Chicago Dog: Interesting - never had that befere. Like the way they said "dragged through the garden." The cucumber/pickles, peppers, onions, etc were very good.
Fries: Pretty good. Soft inside while crispy outside.
Shake Shack Shake: Praline was flavor of the day. Okay.
Now, as I was sitting and waiting (11:15 AM to 11:30 AM guess what - NO LINE!!!! There's a tip for y'all.
In a word, was it worth it? No.
I've had better burgers elsewhere.

drpep
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Wed, 05/30/07 6:53 PM
According to todays NY Post the line is not worth it. There is an article about the Shack and then a listing, with help of George Motz, of better hamburgers in the city.

drpep
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Wed, 05/30/07 7:02 PM
Some some replies about the above mentioned article at www.ahamburgertoday.com

phlmaestro2000
  • Total Posts : 109
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Wed, 05/30/07 7:14 PM
I tried to go when I was in NYC a month or so ago and walked away when I saw what had to be the longest line for food that I've ever seen. It seemed to go on forever. Of course, it was a nice Sunday afternoon; but not living in NYC, I have to try and go when I'm in the area.

I did try a vanilla custard cone from them last year and was actually a little disappointed. It was excellent in terms of texture, but was lacking a bit in terms of vanilla flavor. It tasted a little bland.

UrbanSpaceman
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 05/31/07 7:54 AM
Having been there only once, I'd say the Shack Burger was decent... but nothing special. Nothing better than what you can get at Five Guys at least, though I'm not sure if there's a Five Guys in NYC. Certainly not worth the wait. I would be interested, however, in getting their custard from their shorter, "summer" line on the side of the place.

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 05/31/07 12:17 PM
NYNM

you can always check out the line ahead of time
[url='http://shakeshacknyc.com/camera.html']shack camera[/url]

That way you know if it is worth the wait to go there or not

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Fri, 06/1/07 12:13 PM
I saw[url='http://www.ahamburgertoday.com/archives/2007/05/shacklash_in_the_new_york_post.php']THIS[/url] today and thought of this thread.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Fri, 06/1/07 1:08 PM
I wonder why they don't offer any NY wine selections on their menu? It's mostly California. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1872
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Fri, 06/1/07 6:47 PM
Hello all ,

The Daily News did a story on the Shake Shack a few days ago . Hamburgers in NYC story .

I have not tried it yet but as a NewYorker I refuse to stand in line for more than a few minutes . Let the tourists have their fun .

My reports are mediocre to good depending on tastes , but add in the waits and fuggeettaabout iiit

Benzee

NYNM
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Mon, 06/4/07 6:49 PM
We had really bad weather in NYC today so I passed by SS and saw (almost) no line. I thought I'd try again. 5 min in line, 15 min wait after, but again, the burgers were just so so. Actually way too thin "patties" - you really need a double. I tried a "concrete" today, but it reminded me of Cold Stone Creamery: ice cream with mix ins. I guess I'm just not a Shake Sheck fan.

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Mon, 06/4/07 7:09 PM

There is a Shake Shack webcam. At the time of this post, you can walk right up. I bet this is helpfull if you are in an office nearby and wondering if you could squeeze in lunch.

http://shakeshacknyc.com/camera.html

The menu reads fairly nicely, prices seem reasonable.

mark

eggsactley
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 06/9/07 8:48 AM
NO

NYNM
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 06/14/07 4:32 PM
One last cranky comment about Shake Shack. Today I went over to buy a scoop of their custard, a daily special of "salted caramel." The line was short-ish, maybe 10 people. However, Shake Shack does have a "B" line which is supposed to be for custard only (no longer "orders"). I gave my order for one scoopof custard to the counterperson and she gave me back a buzzer!! This meant I would have to wait 15 min. with the hamburger lines and other cooked foods. The custard was right in front of her.

I told her I didn't want to wait 15 min. for a scoop of custard. She looked at me annoyingly, said she was working "both lines" and then asked the woman standing next to her to get me a scoop, which took about 10 seconds. Like, it was too much trouble for her to do that in the first place. I am really put off by this treatment that you should get bad service, and be greatful because it is SS!!!

OK I git that off my chest.

David_NYC
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Mon, 06/18/07 5:22 PM
Today, I passed the burger place I mentioned in my post of May 19th. It is the 303 Park Avenue South branch of New York Burger Co. I checked the archives and see that NYMN posted about the branch at 678 6th Avenue back in 2005:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9543

I passed the 23rd/24th Sreet one today at 1:00 PM, peak Manhattan lunch hour for office workers, and saw no line. I then timed how long it would take to walk to the Shake Shack, and it was 2 1/2 minutes. Like NYMN, I like NYBC's burgers. So, if you want to eat a burger in the park and watch the dogs playing in the run or watch the birds (both the ones that fly and the human variety) buy your burger elsewhere and take it to the park. If you look at the map on the locations page of NYBC's website:
http://www.newyorkburgerco.com/html/locations.html
and draw a line between their two locations, you will see a contiguous three square block area on the map. That is Madison Square park.

I just looked over their current printed menu. I don't know it if was always on the menu, but they also sell two varieties of "Grilled Vienna All Beef Hot Dogs", Chili Dog, and New York dog with onions and relish or sauerkraut.

Edited to include info about hot dogs.

NYNM
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 04/17/08 11:15 PM
OK guys Shake Shack seems open for the 2008 Summer Season. I passed today about 6:30 pm and there really was a huge (HUGE) line: as you may know, there is only one window open (and one for ice cream/custard) and service is pretty slow because burgers are cooked to order. Anyway, I counted OVER 100 (hundred) people waiting on one line!!!!

I have tried their burgers now 3 or 4 times, and I am not that impressed. They seemed pretty thin, almost like McDonald's so you have to order a "double" to get anything substantial. This 100+ line has got to be an hour's wait. For a burger.

I don't get it. PR???

Pigiron
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Fri, 04/18/08 10:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

OK guys Shake Shack seems open for the 2008 Summer Season.

It's been open since January.

Pigiron
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Fri, 04/18/08 10:35 AM
Additionally....Shake Shack's 2nd location is opening within the next few months (77th and Columbus).

They will also most likely have an outpost at CitiField, the new home of the Mets, beginning in April of 2009. If you thought the line were long in Madison Square Park...

GB944
  • Total Posts : 191
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Fri, 04/18/08 12:37 PM
quote:

I don't get it. PR???

You don't have to get it... Keep walking!

That said, you can time your visit for when the lines are shorter.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Fri, 04/18/08 2:23 PM
NYNM,

my gf and I went there at the end of March. Here's my write-up.

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26425

I think it's worth waiting in line for 15-20 minutes, but I wouldn't wait an hour for it. If they're gonna have a "B" line for custard only, then they should have it staffed and dedicated just for that.

David_NYC
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 04/19/08 12:22 AM
NYNM,

I've got an idea about how to find out why people will wait behind another 100 people to order a burger, hot dogs, etc. I might try it myself if I have some time and the tree pollen level lets off a bit. Get on the line. After about 15 minutes, start up a conversation with other people on the line. Find out if they are local, Bridge and Tunnel folks, NYU/New School/FIT students, or tourists. Ask them what they know about the burgers and franks there. The, excuse yourself to make a pay phone call because you left your cell phone home. Get on the back of the line and repeat the procedure. Best of all, this is FREE, because you can always "walk" before placing your order. We know there are plenty of other places to eat in the area, from Eisenberg's (reviewed here on Roadfood) to all major FF franchises, to New York Burger Company. Yes, the Chicago dogs and shakes are unique. Could this be the draw, and not the burgers?

NYNM
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 04/19/08 12:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

OK guys Shake Shack seems open for the 2008 Summer Season.

It's been open since January.

That I know. The "Summer Season" referred to the finally nice warmer weather (that brings out the line standers)

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 04/19/08 9:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

NYNM,

I've got an idea about how to find out why people will wait behind another 100 people to order a burger, hot dogs, etc. I might try it myself if I have some time and the tree pollen level lets off a bit. Get on the line. After about 15 minutes, start up a conversation with other people on the line. Find out if they are local, Bridge and Tunnel folks, NYU/New School/FIT students, or tourists. Ask them what they know about the burgers and franks there. The, excuse yourself to make a pay phone call because you left your cell phone home. Get on the back of the line and repeat the procedure. Best of all, this is FREE, because you can always "walk" before placing your order. We know there are plenty of other places to eat in the area, from Eisenberg's (reviewed here on Roadfood) to all major FF franchises, to New York Burger Company. Yes, the Chicago dogs and shakes are unique. Could this be the draw, and not the burgers?

It is one thing to wait in a long line for a burger. It is another to keep on waiting in long line to strike up conversations about why people are waiting in the line. This reminds of of a South Park when the kids go to the fair and they go on the "Line Ride", which is just waiting in a line.

Someone else made a comment about 5 Guys. Not that I've ever been to Shake Shack, but the minute I started reading about this place I figured it couldn't be that much different from 5 Guys.

David_NYC
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 04/19/08 10:38 AM
Robearjr,

NYNM's theme throughout this thread is trying to figure out why so many people are willing to wait on line for so long a period of time. What has not been brought out is that this is not the only place in the neighborhood to eat or get takeout. A two block stretch of 23rd Street at the southern boundary of the park has a food establishment in just about every storefront. There are many other places to eat or do take out within a 3 minute walk from the Shake Shack. Plenty of paid journalists have written about the place, but no one has profiled who the patrons are. The place is in a small public park, so they really can't take over more parkland. My reply was in response to this post of NYNM:
quote:

OK guys Shake Shack seems open for the 2008 Summer Season. I passed today about 6:30 pm and there really was a huge (HUGE) line: as you may know, there is only one window open (and one for ice cream/custard) and service is pretty slow because burgers are cooked to order. Anyway, I counted OVER 100 (hundred) people waiting on one line!!!!

I have tried their burgers now 3 or 4 times, and I am not that impressed. They seemed pretty thin, almost like McDonald's so you have to order a "double" to get anything substantial. This 100+ line has got to be an hour's wait. For a burger.

I don't get it. PR???

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 04/19/08 11:17 AM
I understand the context. I just think the cost - waiting in a line to talk to people about why they are waiting in a line - is far greater than the benefit - finding out why said people are waiting in said line.

NYNM
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Sat, 04/19/08 11:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

Robearjr,

NYNM's theme throughout this thread is trying to figure out why so many people are willing to wait on line for so long a period of time. What has not been brought out is that this is not the only place in the neighborhood to eat or get takeout. A two block stretch of 23rd Street at the southern boundary of the park has a food establishment in just about every storefront. There are many other places to eat or do take out within a 3 minute walk from the Shake Shack. Plenty of paid journalists have written about the place, but no one has profiled who the patrons are. The place is in a small public park, so they really can't take over more parkland.

Yes David, that is exactly my theme. It is the old market researcher in me. I work on W. 20th so I see this and other street behavior every day. I really like to compare Shake Shack lines (Hipsters, Yuppies) to the gyro cart line (construction workers) a block away. Not to mention Jamba Juice, three sandwich shops, etc. on 5th Ave bet. 22 & 23, then at 20th, Bravo Pizza which also has a line out the door and Epicurean Gorumet (where I usually go) next to Bravo. I don't even go on to 23rd which I know has lots more Lunch time is wild!!!

Personally I find Shake Shack the most obnoxious.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 07/21/11 11:49 AM
This must be the week where I resurrect three-year old threads.

There was a Roadfood Digest article recently that discussed that Shake Shack was moving into Connecticut, with their first store in Westport.  Today's New York Post (the Weekly World News of New York dailies, for sure) is reporting that Shake Shack is in negotiations to secure a location at the Grand Central Terminal in the dining concourse.

I LOVE the dining concourse at Grand Central.  If I were building a mall, that whole section, taken as a group, might make the single best food court in the United States.

waltpiii
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 07/21/11 12:40 PM
Is the Shake Shack at Saratoga Race Track as good or as bad as the one in NYC?

Walt

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 07/21/11 1:37 PM
waltpiii

Is the Shake Shack at Saratoga Race Track as good or as bad as the one in NYC?

Walt

Don't know, but the one at Citi Field (I'm calling it Shea) is close to original if that is any help. Seems to me they are trying hard to keep quality the same.

michaelcarraher
  • Total Posts : 159
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Wed, 07/27/11 1:23 PM
Are the lines still this bad at the original location?
What are lines likes at the other (newer) locations?
Are the burgers, custards, hot dogs, etc ... as good at the other locations?

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Wed, 07/27/11 1:55 PM
I went to look at the Shack Cam for the original location, but I can't figure out where the line goes.  Maybe the camera needs re-aiming.

The line on Miami Beach is not nearly as long as I have seen in photos from the Madison Square Park location, although it was a bit crazy when they first opened.

No, I haven't eaten there.  It's always been the wrong time of day, or rainy or too hot or I was going to a meal elsewhere!  Anyway, I've never eaten at the original, so I couldn't compare them.
D'oh!  I just figured out this an ancient thread.
<message edited by MiamiDon on Thu, 07/28/11 7:53 AM>

tkitna
  • Total Posts : 620
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 07/28/11 3:17 AM
I was at NY a few months ago with my son and we hit up the one in the city for a couple of Root Beer floats and the line was pretty crazy. I'd say a half hour wait for a burger. Burgers looked pretty good from what I could tell though.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
RE: Is the line at Shake Shack worth it?? - Thu, 07/28/11 3:45 AM
If they were in any other city without the human density of a NYC would they make it? My guess is probably not. They would be just an average hamburger stand.