Diner Breakfast Complaints

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/16 20:07:18
quote:
Originally posted by Ivyhouse

Breakfast is my favorite meal and diner breakfasts are my preference. I grew up in the NY metro area and there were many good diners.

However, I now live in the metro DC area and diner-type breakfasts are very difficult to find. The Double T (Baltimore and Frederick, MD.) is pretty good, but no where do I find a breakfast that has both good potatoes and homemade corned beef hash (not canned).

I had odd potatoes with breakfast at the Woodside Deli this morning in Germantown, MD. They were boiled, cut up with the skin on and looked like they had been finished with some kind of seasoning and maybe butter or margarine that combined to make almost a very thin liquid coating on the potatoes. They had some cut up onions with them and did not taste bad, just not what I had expected -- no crispiness or browning at all.

The potatoes at the Double T have gone downhill. It was mostly the Double T that I was thinking about when I complained about the lack of browning. A few years ago it seemed like the home fries at the Double T had more texture and more seasoning. Then again, a couple of years ago the only time I would go to the Double T would be after the bars closed down. Perhaps my memory is cloudy and those potatoes never were that good.
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/16 20:32:14
Have any of you experiencing such problems (and they are legitimate problems) informed the restaurant management of their sub par products? As a restaurant owner, I hate it when I get a complaint,

BUT, it is the only way I know that a customer is dissatisfied. I can't taste or watch every single plate of food. (Already gravity-challenged). I know that people don't like to complain but look it as offering a critique. A dedicated food professional wants and needs your honest feedback.
MOC
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/22 18:16:53
when they put green peppers into the home fries without warning you
Wannabchef
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/22 18:42:11
I am very particular about breakfast -

I usually order from the side(s) menu -

English muffin (no butter) I'll add it myself
Fruit cup - yeah maybe - or juice
Potatoes, and some kind of meat - I prefer sausage patties, or ham.

The reason I do this is - they always ask "How do you want your eggs"

My answer - INVISIBLE!

Sorry all you country folk - eggs are an ingredient - not an entree, in my opinion of course.

wallhd
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/22 18:47:19
Regarding fruit cup offered by many establishments:

Canned fuit is a no, no!

Many places have fresh fruit cup and it is usually worth the price.

The Highland Park Diner in Rochester is one such place. Another one is a "coffee shop" in Mid-town Manhattan, 6th Ave. & 55th St., I think it is called the Apollo.

Wally
Cornell '67
Rando
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/09/03 16:33:07
I'll echo what others have said about hash browns. I love good golden brown hash browns but can't seem to get them consistently. It must be difficult or too labor intensive to brown them... last ones I had were hash WHITES. yuck. It's the only kind of breakfast potatoes I like, don't like chunks,
ROHfan
Hamburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/10/03 15:19:54
quote:
Originally posted by Rando

I'll echo what others have said about hash browns. I love good golden brown hash browns but can't seem to get them consistently. It must be difficult or too labor intensive to brown them... last ones I had were hash WHITES. yuck. It's the only kind of breakfast potatoes I like, don't like chunks,

My dad taught me a great trick and it works. When ordering hash browns tell the waiter/waitress to have the cook put them in the deep fryer. Sometimes they won't do it for you (why? I have no idea) but it really comes out great. Nice and crispy, and it salvages otherwise inedible potatoes.

ROHfan
ces1948
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/10/03 16:06:03
We have a few mom and pop places that serve the Ora-Ida frozen hash brown patties. Not the real thing I guess but they don't taste bad to me.
fdaniels
Hamburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/10/03 16:29:29
The problem that I have is getting burnt bacon. Actually, I want my bacon burnt, and can't get it that way. I tell them, "If it ain't black, it's going back." I really do like my bacon burnt, and it is so hard to get it done anywhere beyond crisp, especially if they use precooked bacon.
David_NYC
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/10/03 21:21:45
Diners that use frozen, liquid, pasteurized eggs shipped in a cardboard milk container to make scrambled eggs. With meat, bread and potatoes, they then charge you $7.50.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial