Diner Breakfast Complaints

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Double Chili Cheeseburger
2007/05/26 21:32:30

I have two main complaints with diner breakfasts. The first complaint is about hash browns and home fries.
Seems anywhere I go these days the potatoes come out the same and it does not matter what they label them as. They are always thinly sliced potatoes about half the thickness one would use for scalloped potatoes. Some places try to season them with onion but that is about it. They are neither hash browns or home fries in my book. To me they are thin scalloped potatoes browned quickly on a diner griddle parading as something they are not. It is always a disappointing experience.

My second complaint is about link sausage. Some diners get it right, but many more do not. I love proper link sausage, but the traditional diners in my area are cutting corners to the point of absurdity. The standard in the old style diners, which are the ones I love, is a very thin link cut in half along with another half link. The customer gets a total of one and a half links of very skimpy sausage which is no longer link since it has been cut in half.

Today I went to a glitzy diner that is not really a diner anymore, but more of a restaurant with a seating capacity of over 300 plus. I had my usual, eggs "home fries" sausage links, coffee and toast. The home fries were the horrid sliced potatoes totally unseasoned except for a sprinkling of bland paprika for color, almost inedible. The sausage was very good, however. Two large 3 ounce beauties served whole and wholly good.

Well, these are my diner breakfast complaints, what are yours?
zataar
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/26 22:49:16
Unseasoned eggs, potatoes, and seriously bad coffee. Seems to be the norm these days.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 06:00:28
I'm with you on the "hash browns", just had some yesterday. I asked for them crisp and got blackened thin sliced potatoes that were half uncooked.
fabulousoyster
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 06:42:07
I hate diner hashbrowns. Almost uncooked and the potato tastes bad. I order french fries.
fdm813
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 07:37:34
Living in the South, we are not exposed to diners very often. Buy there is a small place (seats about 50) close by. They offer both hashbrowns which are shredded potatoes, frozen I beleave. Then they have home fries which are Idaho bakers that are diced in large chunks with onions, crispy on the outside. Yum! used as a side item with (home made) sausage gravy biscuit. It's a good way to start your day.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 07:44:24
The deal breaker for me is if they lube their griddle with that horrid tasting "butter flavored" oil.
That tells me there are corners being cut, not to mention the fact I can't stand the taste or smell of that foul stuff. It reminds me of cat sick.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 07:52:24
American fries, German fries, home fries, hash browns; all I've ordered in Milwaukee have been great. In fact, they are better than what I can make at home so they are the sole reason I ever go out for breakfast. I do always request onion added to them so perhaps mine get some special attention. The few places serving grits seem to do them right too! Now where can I get some good biscuits and sausage gravy in this town?
doggydaddy
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 07:58:23

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals, whether it is in a proffesional capacity or just to start the day. It is a good idea to ask if the hash is canned as it usually is. That stuff is dogfood and we all know what it costs at the store. Secondly, if you are going to serve the canned variety, don't treat it like the other breakfast meats. The number 'four' is important for these side orders, four pieces of sausage or bacon, 4 oz. of ham and four oz. of canned hash is not the same. Hash should fill the plate. I am not too wild about places that serve half a plate of hash and the other with more potatoes. I do not want that many spuds for the start of the day.

I am a sausage person and generally find that I will get the standard link style from Hormel, Jones or Farmer John. I see patties that have become thinner so that they cn be cooked in one minute, they are not juicy. I want four links of sausage on a plate, oddly many places will give you two patties to the four links. If I get three halves of a -good sized- link I would be satisfied.

The potato complaints are valid. I work at two jobs that feature breakfast and serve sliced or cubed potatoes. I am pretty sure that Greyghost would throw the potatoes back to the kitchen at one place as we use leftover dried, discolored bakes from the night before. There is no onion, salt, pepper, garlic or flavor.
The other place does use boiled potatoes with the addition of onion, garlic powder and paprika. A butter flavored oil is used. No salt or pepper is used at either place.
While some folks will say that there is S&P on the table, I was taught that they should be used as table decorations.
I would never want to eat or serve the scalloped thin sliced potato for breakfast. There are problems with them as they do not sit on a griddle properly to get crusty and they break up into small pieces as time goes on. I like the chunky home fry style and absolutely love shredded hash browns. Good shredded hash browns should be golden brown and crusty like a good Roesti. I can get the same results with home fries too.

I do not want to eat at any place that does its eggs on a flat-top griddle. They are satisfied with serving you chopped-up scrambled eggs and flat, lifeless omeletes. When I see omeletes being made on a griddle I wonder what part of France did they learn this technique?

mark

Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 09:12:12
Wow I feel sorry for some of you people. I have a great many good diner choices in my area. Home fries are always good to very good, real spuds and nicely seasoned. As far as to eggs off the flat top griddle, that's what a traditional diner has behind the counter and has to be used. The burners off to the side are for other items. You can't expect the grill cook to be useing saute pans for the egg dishes. That's great in a large kitchen with the burner space but in a real diner space is at a premium.
In the old days you could turn over a stool or booth every 18min.
Very rarely I have gotten lousey sausage, cheap crap loaded with fillers but their out there.
My complaint is the breakfast ham, I just hate it when they use a deli type ham. Give me a nice thick cut of ham off the bone. I'll pay extra.
I frequent a place where they use canned corned beef hash, not a bad product they do add some items to it to make it worth while. Chow Jim
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 09:20:05
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 10:18:38
The above complaints made me realize more and more why I love Waffle House as much as I do!!!!

I'm not really a breakfast person, but do know good food when I see it, or taste it. The only other place that meets my expectations is a little "Mom and Pop" place in our town where they do know how to cook a good breakfast, whether it be potatoes, sausage, corned beef hash, or whatever. It is all good.

But my very favorite remains Waffle House.

Donna
doggydaddy
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 11:14:10

=== As far as to eggs off the flat top griddle, that's what a traditional diner has behind the counter and has to be used. The burners off to the side are for other items. You can't expect the grill cook to be useing saute pans for the egg dishes. That's great in a large kitchen with the burner space but in a real diner space is at a premium.===

I have to disagree. I worked at a popular 40 seat diner with four burners, flat top and broiler. Watching the show, 'Diners, Drive-ins and Dives' there was this one guy who operated a regular sized kitchen and he emphasized how important eggs in a pan were. I was impressed, as it seemed he was doing this with two burners.
I use the griddle for spuds, pancakes, French toast, breakfast meats, crispy hash and more. That is a lot, and throwing eggs into the mix overwhelms the space (and my) abilities on the griddle. It is easier and better in many ways when you use a pan for scrambled eggs instead of chasing them all over the griddle till they form up. No matter how I try, they seem to pick up other things cooking on the flat-top. For me, too many items on a griddle = a mess. The issue is that I do not like how they come out when I know I can do so much better.
The difference in a diner that uses burners as opposed to a griddle is what distinguishes it from a lesser hash house. I feel that there is a textural and visual appeal when using pans.

I agree about ham needing to have flavor beyond the watery deli style stuff. Since that usually is the case, I will go for sausage. If they are doctoring up the canned hash, that's okay. At least they are trying to improve it.

mark
wallhd
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 11:17:46
I will agree 100% with the posters who say that the home fires/hash browns in so many places are lousy. Is it the quality of the oil used, or the seasoning(s) used, or the seasoning of the griddle or what? I make my own on a stove top Calphon (spelling?) griddle and they are great. Why can't restaurants of all kinds have theirs turn out just as well?

Wally
Plattsburgh, NY &
Cornell '67
davezirk
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 11:54:31
You are right on target. I recently ate at the Fords Diner, in the Fords section of Woodbridge, NJ. REAL home fries, browned on the grill, 2 large sausages split and browned on the grill. I chose the beef as I had not seen that before in this area. Yum.

The standard diner fries in this area are barely browned, then sprinkled w/ cheap paprika for color. Totally tasteless, don't know why they even bother - most people leave them on the plate to be discarded. What a waste!

- davezirk

Originally posted by Greyghost

I have two main complaints with diner breakfasts. The first complaint is about hash browns and home fries.
[snip]
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 12:20:07
Greyghost,

It sounds like these diners are serving a reconstituted dehydrated sliced or shredded potato. They are a crappy product. The problem is probably a labor situation: either the diners can't afford to pay for someone to make real hashbrowns or they can't find anyone competent enough to make them.

Most restaurants also use a griddle oil substitute for the butter.
sizz
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 13:06:57
quote:
enginecapt Posted - 05/27/2007 : 07:44:24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can't stand the taste or smell of that foul stuff. It reminds me of cat sick.

Jack:..........what's a cat sick ? is it something like a slop shoot?
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 13:12:24
The smell is......

EDIT: Not that I'd know.
Poverty Pete
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 14:18:17
As Felix Frankfurter may have said..."I may not know the definition of cat sick, but I know it when I see it."
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 14:31:03
Cold and/or overcooked scrambled eggs
skylar0ne
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 18:16:31
My chief complaint with breakfast eaten out, at a diner or elsewhere, is with the bacon. I absolutely love the taste of bacon, but don't serve me pale, half-cooked strips of fatty meat that have to be chewed like a piece of bubble gum. Bacon should be cooked until it's brown and crispy, and most of the fat has been rendered out. I always ask that the bacon be crisp and well-done, but half the time it does not come that way.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 18:51:14
quote:
Originally posted by skylar0ne

My chief complaint with breakfast eaten out, at a diner or elsewhere, is with the bacon. I absolutely love the taste of bacon, but don't serve me pale, half-cooked strips of fatty meat that have to be chewed like a piece of bubble gum. Bacon should be cooked until it's brown and crispy, and most of the fat has been rendered out. I always ask that the bacon be crisp and well-done, but half the time it does not come that way.

And I hardly ever eat bacon out because they cook it the way they like it. At least at a Waffle House I can get it cooked properly (meaning the way I like it) by telling them I want my bacon light.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 19:27:10
I guess that I am the only one with this complaint...............cold unbuttered toast with a cold pat of butter on the side. It makes me think of eating breakfast in England. I want my toast hot and buttered. Went to a diner yesterday (where the toast is always cold and unbuttered) and ordered the pita bread which one could have instead of toast. The pita bread arrived hot and dripping with butter. Hard to figure.
Greyghost
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 20:10:26
I am glad there is so much interest in this topic, I no longer feel so alone in my complaints. I concur with a lot of the complaints posted here.

Diner breakfast ham was a good example. I have had diner breakfast ham sliced so thin you could see right through it if you held it up to your face. Not only that, you could see clearly through it as easily as you could with rose colored glasses.

Pancakes are another sore point. Many places around here advertise blueberry pancakes. Do they have blueberries in them? No. What they do have is some vile blueberry goop served on the side that one can spoon on top of the very ordinary pancakes. Wish we had a Waffle House around here, Donna...sounds wonderful.

It is hard to screw up eggs, but apparently many places do, especially with scrambled. Omelettes, don't even try. As has been observed in these postings, diners are not equipped to do them. Diner omelettes come out as some sort of weird frittata concoction.

All that being said, I love diners, especially the very old ones. They draw me like a moth to a flame. I love the history, the old time atmosphere and the colorful customers. I do wish diner owners would take their places as seriously as I do and offer good old fashioned food that is worthy of the heritage of the places they own.
lindsey
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 20:12:55
TWO WORDS.............HASH WHITES! What is with these cooks that think cooking hashbrowns on one side......then plating them is Aok??? These suck....and I always have to order them well done......repeating...cooked on BOTH sides! There should be a law against this!!!!!!!!!
Billfish
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 21:30:48
Some diners around here (and other places I have been) think they are quite clever (and efficient) and will fry up a pound or so of bacon at a time and shove it off to the side of the grill or into a holding pan.Even if the bacon were fried perfectly,at most the first couple of orders will be any good.Like most cooked food,and unlike a fine wine,cooked bacon does not improve with age.
The most annoying trend in diners around here is their refusal to deliver butter to be served with toast,muffins,etc.They will give you a little bowl with some jelly and some margarine.Sometimes if you gripe enough they will "find" some butter in the back but I know of a couple places that say outright they dont have any and that is that.
MissJohnnycakes
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 23:43:27
It's not just bad oil/fake butter or choice of seasonings that makes bad potatos:

It's BAD TREATMENT of the potatos before they hit the pan or griddle. Potatos should have fresh potato flavor, and that gets washed out if they fry precooked potatos (boiled or baked or ANYthing cooked). Frying precooked potatos also makes them mushy, ugh.

Keep the cook's mitts off the salt shaker, too! I can add my own salt and pepper. If he/she uses a nice blend of herbs, that's good. But please, there is salt and pepper on every table, and some of us can't stomach oversalted food.

Yeah, I hate anything but fresh-cut french fries, too.
MissJohnnycakes
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/27 23:48:28
Old orange juice!

I no longer order OJ unless it is fresh-squeezed. Had too many encounters with warm, stale juice that has sat around all day long after the frozen concentrate met the tap water. Or worse, even started to get that fermented taste.
Rick F.
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 02:39:37
quote:
Originally posted by Donna Douglass

Donna
Quick personal note. Where do I know you from? School sounds right--HS in California, grad school in Memphis, seminary in Evanston seem most likely. Or am I out of my mind, which is possible or even likely?
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 06:53:44
Sorry Rick, I'm an Ohio girl all the way. "Girl" said with tongue in cheek as I'm 78 years old.

The only time I've not lived in Central Ohio is the nine years we spent in Phoenix, AZ from 1990 to 1999.

Donna
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 07:34:37
Greyghost,

Come to my house

John
doggydaddy
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 08:34:14

=== sprinkled w/ cheap paprika for color. Totally tasteless, don't know why they even bother - most people leave them on the plate to be discarded. What a waste!===

What is funny as one place I have been told to put just a little on the plate as they do not eat the potatoes. Well yeah, that's understandable if all you use is a little garlic powder, paprika and butter flavored oil.

===It sounds like these diners are serving a reconstituted dehydrated sliced or shredded potato. They are a crappy product. The problem is probably a labor situation===

Of all the jobs required for prep, slicing, chopping or shredding potatoes, the task will fall on a dishwasher. It is so easy.... A caveman can do it.
There are plenty of potato products that are available in every form and I avoid them. However I cannot create proper hash browns from scratch, no matter how I try. I will buy the pre-shredded, packaged potato. The only folks who use dried potatoes are the U.S. Military. The last time I saw dried potatoes was 30 years ago in the Navy.

Now, as far as diner complaints go, I have a couple to throw back at the customers.
Do not ask for an egg whites only. Keep that dietary restriction at home.
Most diners do work with what is pre-prepped. Do not ask for a Western omelete sans peppers or a Vegetable omelete minus tomato.
I have had to make an egg white omelete with vegetables that do not include tomato, forcing us to prepare and make a quick melange of vegetables on the griddle somewhere between the eggs and pancakes. The frustration is that orders are backing up as you create this and the customers do not like to wait.
No seperate checks.
If you want crisp bacon, ask for it. Every diner has a bacon press or two...

mark
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 09:01:12
Ingredients:

1 lb Russet baking potatoes, peeled and grated
3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper

Equipment needed:

Large stick-free frying pan (at least a 9" diameter bottom)
Potato ricer

Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large stick-free frying pan on medium high heat.

While the pan is heating, use a potato ricer much like you would a garlic press, and press out as much moisture as you can from the grated potatoes. If you don't have a ricer, you can use paper towels to absorb some of the moisture from the grated potatoes, but it doesn't work nearly as well.

When the oil heats up to the point of shimmering, but not smoking, add the grated potatoes. Spread the potatoes out along the bottom of the pan. They should not be too thick in any one place, no more than 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the poatoes. After a few minutes, lift up one edge of the potatoes and see how done they are. When they have fried to a golden brown they are ready to flip. Use a large spatula to flip the potatoes over all at once, or divide the large potato cake into halves or quarters and flip. Again, when golden brown, they are ready to serve.

Serves 4.

Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 11:01:51
My complaints echo a few others' posted already:

Watery orange juice that costs $1.50-plus for a small glass.

Requesting crisp and drained bacon and it still comes limp and under-done.

Barely-toasted, limp toast.

Undercooked home fries.

Poached eggs that have either barely been cooked or that are almost hard-boiled.

doggydaddy
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 11:17:22

===Barely-toasted, limp toast.===

In a perfect world, diners should have a combination jukebox/ toaster at every table.

mark
hungryguy
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 11:28:52
Non-dairy creamer, if they don't have half and half or cream, I ask for some milk.
Hard shriveled up sausage links.
I ask for my scrambled eggs light so they are moist, but sometimes I get them watery (undercooked).
Other food mixed in with your food, such as: a piece of onion in your scrambled eggs.
sizz
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 12:24:55
quote:
doggydaddy Posted - 05/28/2007 : 11:17:22
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a perfect world, diners should have a combination jukebox/ toaster at every table.

Greatest idea I have ever seen.............................. a toaster at every table, .............. there was once a restaurant in LA ( I believe on Wilshire Boulevard ) that had just that....... a toaster at every table and I always wondered why breakfast joints never picked up on that idea.........
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 13:10:14
quote:
Originally posted by sizz
a toaster at every table, .............. there was once a restaurant in LA ( I believe on Wilshire Boulevard ) that had just that....... a toaster at every table
Does Johnie's Coffee Shop, Wilshire and Fairfax ring a bell?
MandalayVA
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/28 20:59:50
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Adjudicator for the win!

My complaint--overcooked omelets. The cooking that doesn't get into the hash browns seems to go into the omelets.
WIBEARFAN
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/29 11:35:09
Mine is not having my over medium eggs cook correctly,
I always get them over easy. What's with that. Also
since many places can not get it right I always order
scrambled.. hate cold eggs that taste like rubber.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/29 12:10:25
While I love diner food, especially breakfast, it’s really hard to find a place that can do it all well. Certainly breakfast potatoes should be standard well done fare, but for everything else, I’ve got to admit I’m so fussy about the “perfect breakfast” that it’s hard for ANY place to do it all 100% right every time.

I usually order

Eggs over hard (I don’t mess with scrambled eggs out, no matter where—too difficult, and except for poached eggs over toast, I don’t really care for runny yolks. Sunny side up just wierds me out)
Bacon crisp or sausage patties well done. Country ham is great when I can get it, but I want it browned and chewy, not just warmed through.
Hashbrowns very crisp – I’ll agree with those who hate gummy, underseasoned potatoes.
Wheat toast dry – I hate toast swimming in butter that someone has added with a brush, and would rather add a bit of jam at the table.

It just occurred to be that while I love a bloody rare steak, insist upon pork chops with a bit of pink hue to them, and adore sushi, all foods very much undercooked, I must have my breakfast stuff cooked to death….wonder what’s up with that…..
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 02:03:53
My biggest complaint would be the small glasses of milk you get when its ordered. I've ordered chocolate milk and its come out in a glass so small, my kids would have ordered two of them.
louweezy
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 14:28:17
quote:
Originally posted by lindsey

TWO WORDS.............HASH WHITES! What is with these cooks that think cooking hashbrowns on one side......then plating them is Aok??? These suck....and I always have to order them well done......repeating...cooked on BOTH sides! There should be a law against this!!!!!!!!!

Beat me to it! We call them Hash Beiges. We were in MI for a long weekend & ate at several "dinery" small places. Not 1 single place could make edible hash browns.
2 more: Lousy eggs benny. Bad sauce, cold eggs. yuk
Listen up folks, if the eggs look done in the pan or on the griddle, you blew it. Overdone. Nothing worse than overcooked scrambled eggs.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 16:22:16
Unless you're like me and insist on scrambled eggs and omelets brown, firm and well done. No soft stuff, no gooeyness, no snot. Now that's the way to cook scrambled eggs. I see the way Gordon Ramsay serves up his idea of scrambled eggs and I want to vomit.
Grizzly
Junior Burger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 17:37:43
My biggest complaint about breakfast is fast becoming the ridiculous increase of price in the last 10 years. There was a time not long ago you could have a square breakfast (meat, potatoes, eggs, bread and juice or coffee) for somewhere around five dollars. Now, the children's breakfast prices are even higher than that.

Unfortunately, some of our chain breakfast entities have started pushing pricing up close to what you would pay for dinner. Now, a lot of the Roadfood/Mom and Pop places are stepping up their prices since there are a flurry of folks willing to pay $10 for an omelette at IHOP/Denny's/Village Inn, etc.

I guess I better get used to it just like I had to get used to:

ground beef at 3.99/lb.
10lbs of potatoes at 3.99!
bar and grill chicken wings $.30.

The cheap ingrediants the upper crust didn't want 30-50 years ago, the food producers and grocery stores figured out we would pay what they ask for it. Nice choice, pay or not eat.

ALL GOOD
Hamburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 18:19:19
The best hashbrowns I have ever had are at the George Webb diners in the Milwaukee area. My husband orders them extra crispy and has never been disappointed and that says alot. He is very picky about his hash browns. George Webb's is the BEST. Their eggs are also exceptional (and have flavor). In fact, my picky husband's standard order there is: 3 eggs over easy, double hash browns extra crispy, double order of french fries extra crispy, toast, bacon and a bowl of chili. Try it sometime!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 18:39:14
quote:
Originally posted by GLINIECKI

The best hashbrowns I have ever had are at the George Webb diners in the Milwaukee area. My husband orders them extra crispy and has never been disappointed and that says alot. He is very picky about his hash browns. George Webb's is the BEST. Their eggs are also exceptional (and have flavor). In fact, my picky husband's standard order there is: 3 eggs over easy, double hash browns extra crispy, double order of french fries extra crispy, toast, bacon and a bowl of chili. Try it sometime!

Hope he works out.
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 19:19:42
I recently took my daughter to breakfast at a diner. I ordered my favorite - eggs benedict. We had been to this particular place once before, and I'd had the same thing and liked it.

This time, I don't know if they were rushed or what, but the eggs were nowhere near cooked. It was hidden at first by the Hollandaise sauce, but once I cut into it, BLECCH!
Greyghost
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 19:22:39
GLINIECKI,

Welcome to Roadfood! My eyes are bulging out just considering the feast your husband eats for breakfast.
I have a healthy appetite but am no match for your husband. If I ate all that, I would be full for a day and a half at least. I am really impressed.

Grizzly,

You are not alone in observing constant price increases. Around here it is a price creep, more than a price spike which seems to be what you are experiencing. Here in River City, you can still get a full breakfast with all the items you mentioned for $5.69 with unlimited coffee. Ten years ago it was $5.00. Not a bad creep for a decade, but the increase only happened in the last two years.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/30 19:31:24
Happy to see another George Webb fan!! My husband and I have never had a bad breakfast there-and especially the hashbrowns.They always get my eggs just right-over medium IS over medium.And we love the hashbrowns well done with cheese...
KIMMYJ1962
Hamburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/31 13:03:02
I once had a waitress tell me that "No matter how long we cook the hash browns, they aren't gonna get any crisper than that!!" Allllrighty then! HMPH
I'd like to add that those hashbrowns were definitely HASH BEIGES!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/05/31 13:33:12
GLINIECKI, not the most common name. I had a Milwaukee Sentinel route with a Tony Gliniecki on Milwaukee's NW side. If he's a relative tell him Mike says hi.
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/06 12:45:23
I completely agree with alot of the posts in this topic..especially the ones about the undercooked bacon...there is nothing worse! I love the toaster at every table idea! Diner owners definitely need to realize that there is a difference between scalloped potatoes, home fries and hash browns...and they should learn how to make each one! I know I'm going to get it for even thinking of posting this next line on here, but it has to be said: I have not yet had a hash brown at a diner that even comes close to the ones they make at Mickey D's. I love that they are crispy on the edges and just soft enough in the middle. I know, I know...people are never going to take me seriously after this one...but I can't help it..its the ONLY thing I actually like from there for breakfast.
Greyghost
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/06 18:56:25
I have found a local diner that meets my needs. My new favorite is Dewey's Diner 51 Fuller Road, Albany, NY.
It is a very old family owned diner with a long history, just the kind I like. The diner dates from the 1930's and when you walk in you are walking into history.

When you walk inside, you are greeted with genuine enthusiasm and made very welcome. Every customer is
presented with the Times Union newspaper upon seating. There is a reason for this as orders are done from scratch and take a bit longer and the newspaper occupies your time.

This is not to say the food takes a long time, but it is not fast food. Instead, it is fascinating food. My sacred home fries are done from scratch from real cubed potatoes and are cooked till done. Simply wonderful. You also have ample opportunity to meet and greet the friendly regulars which is always a plus in my book.

My other complaint against diners was sausage and I have no complaint here. This diner also cuts the sausage in half but it is large dinner sized sausage and quite satisfying. I guess when you are family owned and have been in business since the 30's you learn some things.

I am glad I found them. Oh, the breakfast special including everything mentioned is under $6.00. It does not get any better than that.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/09 15:30:29
I second Dewey's I think it started up to serve the Truckers who had truck terminals up behind where it is located i.e. Dorns, M&M etc.
I used to help the dispatcher by picking up the long haul drivers from Deweys and bring them to the terminal, and I have got to say one of the best food feelings I ever had, was to enter that diner at 2:00 a.m. on a January morn, and get hit with the smell of fresh brewed coffee and sizzling bacon.

Right next to Deweys there was another diner I forget the name, but it wasn't as popular.
Kiowa1
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/09 15:51:22
quote:

quote:

Greatest idea I have ever seen.............................. a toaster at every table, .............. there was once a restaurant in LA ( I believe on Wilshire Boulevard ) that had just that....... a toaster at every table and I always wondered why breakfast joints never picked up on that idea.........

I hate "RAW" toast... I'd rather have it burnt than barely singed...

as for the toaster at every table idea... there will always be some yahoos who will stick just about anything in there, including forks and fingers (how do you want your Coke toasted???)... Breakfast after the bars close would truly be a memorable event...
Greyghost
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/09 20:11:54
santacruz,

The other diner next door is Inga's Diner. Many years ago there was a waitress that worked at Dewey's
named Inga who started up her own place right next door. Inga is long gone, but the diner bearing her
name is still there. I used to be a regular at Inga's, but when a favorite waitress was mistreated by a
new owner and quit so did I. I wrote about this under the heading Key Employee Quits...

In the old days, both diners were quite similar but drifted apart over time. Inga's under successive owners
tried to be more upscale while at the same time cutting corners. Dewey's still family owned has kept its
character, old fashioned, real country and authentic.

You are correct that both places are favorites among truckers as well as locals. Hours are limited though
both operate from early morning to about 2 PM. Neither would be open at 2 AM these days though.
Ashphalt
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/10 14:02:22
quote:
Originally posted by Kiowa1

quote:

quote:

I hate "RAW" toast... I'd rather have it burnt than barely singed...

as for the toaster at every table idea... there will always be some yahoos who will stick just about anything in there, including forks and fingers (how do you want your Coke toasted???)... Breakfast after the bars close would truly be a memorable event...

My thought about the toasters, exactly. Not to mention what children will do with a toaster and a glass of water.

I wonder about those places that have make-your-own waffle bars. There was one at the grad student/faculty cafeteria when I was in law school. One day I saw my Corporations Law prof attempting to make a waffle. Knowing that he liked to wash his Prozac down with vodka I quickly finished my lunch and left before the fire alarm went off.

We have a diner we like very much, except: they give you a choice of hash browns or home fries. Hash browns seem to be frozen, home fires seem fresh, but the hash browns are usually cooked and crispy, the home fries usually not. So it's crispy frozen taters or mushy fresh ones.
Robearjr
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/14 08:32:06
Most of the home fries/hash browns in Baltimore are pretty bad. It seems you get boiled potatoes that are cut and thrown onto a grill. There is never enough oil and they must over load the griddle, so most of the potatoes never get browned. You end up with either undercooked starchy or over cooked mush.

I also find the sausage quality is lacking. More often than not you get livery tasting meat that is loaded with gristle.

LuckyLabrador
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/15 18:02:56
Not enough bacon, EVER...comeon, 3 slices of bacon never gets the job done, I'll take 12 thanks !
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
RE: Diner Breakfast Complaints 2007/07/15 18:21:23
Breakfast is my favorite meal and diner breakfasts are my preference. I grew up in the NY metro area and there were many good diners.

However, I now live in the metro DC area and diner-type breakfasts are very difficult to find. The Double T (Baltimore and Frederick, MD.) is pretty good, but no where do I find a breakfast that has both good potatoes and homemade corned beef hash (not canned).

I had odd potatoes with breakfast at the Woodside Deli this morning in Germantown, MD. They were boiled, cut up with the skin on and looked like they had been finished with some kind of seasoning and maybe butter or margarine that combined to make almost a very thin liquid coating on the potatoes. They had some cut up onions with them and did not taste bad, just not what I had expected -- no crispiness or browning at all.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2