Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
2007/05/28 10:59:56 (permalink)

Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands

Hot dog carts and trailers

Nick's Hot Dogs - Truck -located in Newburgh, NY, on route 207 just past the route 300 intersection on the right.
Sabrett nc's with a variety of toppings. Homeade chili sauce was pretty good.

Ed's Bun On The Run - Cart - located in Montgomery, NY on route 17K just past the route 208 intersection, on the right next to the hardware store. Look for the Orange County Choppers store. He offers a number of brands plus a good italian sausage!

Fran's Hot Dogs - Custom enclosed S.S. Pushcart Trailer - located in Montgomery, NY on route 208 north just past the 17K intersection, on the left past the Mobil station.
Serves Sabrett nc's

Dugout Dogs - Cart - located in Walden, NY on route 208 and Lake Osiris road. He is there on weekdays only.

New York Dug Out Dogs - Rte 32 South, Odd Lot parking lot. Sabrett n/c hot dogs and Sabrett Hot Sausage.

Happy Dog - Rte 17K and Rte 416, Montgomery, NY. Sabrett n/c hot dogs with all the toppings.

Rte 52 Hot Dog Cart - Sabrett n/c steamed just right! Town of Newburgh, NY on route 52 south under the Thruway overpass. About a mile south of the route 300 intersection.

Captain Hot Dog - Rte 28 located at the Mt. Pleasant rest area just outside of Boiceville, NY. Great Sabrett hot dogs steamed with all the toppings. Captain Hot Dog has great chili dogs, all home made! See pictures below.

Olive General Store - Electric push cart- Rte 28, Olive Bridge, New York. Boar's head natural casing hot dogs. You can get all the typical toppings including an award winning chili rated by Al Roker.

Tommy's Hot Dogs -Truck- Rte 32 north, Tillson, NY. Sabrett n/c hot dogs with various toppings. Try the baked beans and cole slaw!

Hot Dog Shops

Kacey's Cafe - on route 208 north, Wallkill, NY is now serving Sabrett nc's. Her place is about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile north of the route 300 intersection

Texas Lunch - Rte 208, Wallkill, NY. Next to school bus depot. A real Texas Weiner in Ulster County, New York

Sammy C's - Rte 52, Newburgh, NY, just south of the Rte I84 jct.

Pete's Hot Dogs - Rte 9W South near armory. Regional favorite.

Soul Dog - Poughkeepsie, NY. They are known for their gluton free foods!

Coney Island Restaurant - Middletown, NY. Great Coney Dogs, regional favorite.

Rich's Hot Dogs - Middletown, NY. Sabrett n/c hot dogs steamed just right. The Coney Dogs are great too.

Dallas Hot Wieners - Kingston, NY. Two locations in Kingston and one in Saugerties, NY. They have their own variation of Texas Weiners. Regional favorite.

ENJOY!

54 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/05/28 12:19:33 (permalink)
    I think I forgot to mention that I visited The "Likkers" ice cream and hot dog shop in Kingston, NY a few weeks ago. I dont know what kind of dog he serves, but it was probably about 8 to the pound. (When i asked he said, "We get our dogs over in Greenport." I dont know what that means? The chili sauce was OK; I suspect it came out of a can without any "improvements". Not really worth the trip, except for the ice cream.

Cheers, John
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/05/28 14:31:29 (permalink)
    I think you mentioned it but they were closed or something at the time. I don't think they are known for their hot dogs but apparently someone likes them. As for the chili sauce, the stuff I had was not canned, possibly he is cheating now? When I was there the day or so after they opened the chili sauce was a mix between Texas Lunch in Wallkill, NY and Dallas Weiners. I had slaw on mine too, noone else in the area I know offers that. I haven't been back since.

Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1878
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/05/28 22:37:30 (permalink)
    Hello again ,

Great report on the Hudson Valley spots .
    The only one we did not hit on the last Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour was Dallas Weiners in Kingston .
    All reports coming out of there are very positive so a visit this summer is not out of the question .

Another Hot Dog Cart trailer is between south of Middletown on the way to Goshen on right . Great dogs also .

Benzee
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/09/18 21:10:04 (permalink)
    I stopped by Worlds Best Hot Dogs and Hamburgers today and was greeted with a locked door and a sign stating Sorry, We Are Only Available For Catering.

There is however another place opening up on 9W soon. He is tossing around whether he is going to offer Sabrett or Thumann's. It would be nice to have a Thumann's dog around here, I don't know of anyone in the Mid Hudson Valley that offers a Thumann's n/c or skinless hot dog.

There is a hot dog truck called NY Dugout Dogs located at Rte 32 south and Gardnertown Rd., Newburgh, NY. He serves Sabrett n/c and Sabrett hot sausage.

If you are driving up Rte. 28 toward Phoenicia, NY, check out Captain Hot Dog at the Mt. Pleasant rest stop. He serves Sabrett n/c 8/1 dog and has a medium heat chili among other toppings. Closed Wednesdays.
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/09/18 21:34:54 (permalink)
    I was born and raised in Kingston, and remember well, the Dallas Hot Weiner shop- back in the day there were 2 hot dog shops- Texas Hot Weiners and Dallas Hot Weiners- sounds like they may be now owned by the same family- my husband was raised eating their dogs and when we went back 8 years ago for a short visit- he had lunch/snack three days in a row at the North Front St location. Since then, a close family friend of ours has given me the recipe- I make a batch about 6 times a year and freeze it- and when he has to have a fix, out comes the sauce- the buns and Boars Head franks get steamed and he's a happy camper. Funny, but living now in Dallas, we have yet to find any dogs here with the "Dallas Hot Weiner" sauce!
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/09/18 23:21:39 (permalink)
    Gosh...that's disheartening about World's Best (in Newburgh, N.Y.) going out of business. He had such a good product, and a nice little store. Too bad. Hate to lose a good one.
    The Bear
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hot Dog King

I stopped by Worlds Best Hot Dogs and Hamburgers today and was greeted with a locked door and a sign stating Sorry, We Are Only Available For Catering.

There is however another place opening up on 9W soon. He is tossing around whether he is going to offer Sabrett or Thumann's. It would be nice to have a Thumann's dog around here, I don't know of anyone in the Mid Hudson Valley that offers a Thumann's n/c or skinless hot dog.

There is a hot dog truck called NY Dugout Dogs located at Rte 32 south and Gardnertown Rd., Newburgh, NY. He serves Sabrett n/c and Sabrett hot sausage.

If you are driving up Rte. 28 toward Phoenicia, NY, check out Captain Hot Dog at the Mt. Pleasant rest stop. He serves Sabrett n/c 8/1 dog and has a medium heat chili among other toppings. Closed Wednesdays.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/09/19 01:06:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mland520

I was born and raised in Kingston, and remember well, the Dallas Hot Weiner shop- back in the day there were 2 hot dog shops- Texas Hot Weiners and Dallas Hot Weiners- sounds like they may be now owned by the same family- my husband was raised eating their dogs and when we went back 8 years ago for a short visit- he had lunch/snack three days in a row at the North Front St location. Since then, a close family friend of ours has given me the recipe- I make a batch about 6 times a year and freeze it- and when he has to have a fix, out comes the sauce- the buns and Boars Head franks get steamed and he's a happy camper. Funny, but living now in Dallas, we have yet to find any dogs here with the "Dallas Hot Weiner" sauce!

Ive lived in Dallas for years and I have never seen a Dallas hot...Anything!
    As a matter of fact, the only hot dogs I know of in Dallas are at "Wild About Harry's" on Knox Street. I don't think Dallas is a hot dog kind of town.
    But, you can get Sabrett dogs at Central Market. With or without the natural casing.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/09/19 07:03:00 (permalink)
    quote:

My first time to Dallas Hot Weiners was about 52-53 years ago. The original was not at it's present location. Weiners was the only thing the old guy sold besides soft drinks. We use to go back once a year to visit my parents and always had lunch there a couple of times.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/09/19 12:48:45 (permalink)
    For many years there's a hot dog truck that's been at the intersection of Route 100 and Route 134 in Millwood, NY (Westchester County) called CHARCAEL'S HOT DOGS.
    I pass it it almost every day on my way home from work. But I've never sampled his dogs, because if I'm going home I'm on the way to my supper.
    Anybody ever stopped there?
    Ron
    BrooklynBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/09/19 13:55:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hot Dog King

Hot Dog King – Thank you for the up-date on Worlds Best -- what a shame!
    We’re doing a very mini-tour tomorrow with our grandkids from Australia. Had planned to end it at Worlds Best. We’ll now change our schedule.

Bill

Benzee
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2007/09/19 15:25:15 (permalink)
    hello all ,

I should 've read this thread before venturing out today. I went by Worlds Best in Newburgh today and Hot Dog King is correct it is closed and a sign on the door stating they will be doing catering only .
    It looks as though the equipment is still there as chairs were up on tables .
    So I swung by Petes in Newburgh for two number #5 's . raw onions and mustard .
    Good dog , and service .

Guess Worlds could not make a go of it . We will miss it as we did have it on our 1st Hudson Valley tour earlier this year.

Benzee
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/29 11:58:20 (permalink)
    Hello, Hot Dog King, glad to see you back on the boards with updated hot dog places.

I mentioned to Benzee recently that it might be nice to get a small tour of Soul Dog, Andy's place, and Big W BBQ together sometime in July- are you interested?

Kozel (see the forum Big W BBQ) has suggested July 12 for a visit to Big W along with a factory tour of a company that builds modular homes.
    Unfortunately, that date doesn't work for me.

Cheers, John
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/29 14:18:44 (permalink)
    John,
    I am interested, just name the date.

BTW, have you been down rte 32 recently around Maple Hill (between Bloomington and Rosendale)? A month ago there was a guy selling hot dogs next to the granite countertop shop, it looks like they spent a few dollars setting up a fence and picnic tables but I never see anyone there anymore.

Matt
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/29 21:37:15 (permalink)
    Never saw a hot dog setup there , but , then, I haven't been to Kingston all that often recently - I'll check it out next wek as I'm going to have to visit the lumber yard in Rosendale next week.

Cheers, John
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/29 22:13:09 (permalink)
    Re: CHARCAEL'S HOT DOGS. great hot dog stand and now they've opened a indoor joint in Hawthorne just off the saw mill at marble avenue exit (well actually first light turn right, down to the next light right again and they're about a 1/3 mile on the left). Great dogs and even greater hamburger / cheeseburgers. Planning on posting a full out review with pics at some point in the future. When I get the address and other details I'll post them to this thread. But if your in the area of the truck or the restaurant give em a try, you won't be disappointed.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/29 22:20:33 (permalink)
    Would one of you New York hot dog experts please explain to this Texan what, "Texas Sauce" is?
    ScreenBear
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 00:08:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow

Would one of you New York hot dog experts please explain to this Texan what, "Texas Sauce" is?

Here's a good article on it, written for the Smithsonian, I believe. It attributes it to Paterson, N.J. A good read.
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wiphtml/essay6/essay6a.html
    Bear
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 00:15:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow

Here's a good article on it, written for the Smithsonian, I believe. It attributes it to Paterson, N.J. A good read.
    http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/wiphtml/essay6/essay6a.html
    Bear

Very interesting. But, I don't understand why they just didn't call it, "Greek sauce".
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 00:16:57 (permalink)
    Well, regardless, I'd eat it. With onions, please.
    ScreenBear
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 00:40:36 (permalink)
    The theory, or lore, if you will, is that the original purveyors wanted to imbue their hot dogs---already a common staple in America---with an exotic identity.

In industrial Paterson, the wide open spaces of Texas provided that fantasy cachet. And that, as they say, is the rest of the story...maybe.

The Bear
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 09:36:57 (permalink)
    Despite what the article cited above says, Texas hot Dog Sauce here in the Hudson Valley has no tomato in it. I had long thought it did have a tomato base, but learned better from one of our Roadfooders ( an ex-HV resident, now living in the Dallas TX area) who posted a recipe that really works and has no tomato in it. I made a small batch based on his recipe last week and it was very very close to what they serve at Kingston's famous Dallas Hot Wieners.

Also, it is my opinion that the sauce was originally developed to disguise the taste of an inferior hot dog, and, at least here in the Hudson Valley, the quality of the hot dog has always been secondary to the quality of the sauce. Also, I've never seen a hot dog deep fried in any Texas Hot Wiener joint around here - they are steamed and grilled on one of those rolling grills and served on a steamed roll. Deep frying seems confined to North Jersey and some places in Connecticut. Also, the order of applying the dressings is: mustard, sauce, diced raw onion. And an order for them around here goes, "Two with everything".

Cheers, John
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 17:54:02 (permalink)
    Thanks, pmrkr2-
    I have to admit Charcaels's does not look very appealing from the looks of the truck.
    But I will try a couple of dogs there soon, and I will share my 2 cents worth of opinions.
    Ron
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 17:57:01 (permalink)
    actually had a works dog there today and all i can say is don't let the looks fool you and remember it's roadfood not le cirque
    Benzee
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 20:30:11 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

For any Hudson Valley Hot Dog Lovers we did a tour last year and had a great time .
    We visited Richs , CI Rest, Petes , Texus Lunch all were good .
    We usually have a few meets at Coney Island Rest. in Middletown with up to 15 attendees .

Benzee
    Guilty One
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/06/30 21:13:44 (permalink)
    That picture of Captain Hot Dog should be published somewhere.

They are all good but I think that one tops.
    tdj_tx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/07/01 13:29:54 (permalink)
    quote:

mland, could you post your recipe here, unless it's top secret.
    I posted mine a few months ago and would be interested in seeing how
    yours compares to mine.
    Matt Gleason
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/07/01 17:14:40 (permalink)
    I took all of the pictures except the Coney Island and Soul Dog, both were sent to me. Coney Island Restaurant is next door to a bus depot so whenever I am there with a camera, there are buses and loads of people blocking my view. I believe Coney Island Lou sent me that pic. Soul Dog was sent to me by the owner.

Here are some others that come to mind although I am not sure if these carts are open on a regular basis:

There is a hot dog stand on rte 28 near Margaretville, NY called Grandma's. The stand is a small RV setup for food vending.

There is a hot dog cart on rte 28 in Boiceville, NY, just past 28A, called Matt's Hot Dogs. He sells Sabrett with the basic toppings.

Olive General Store has an electric Boar's Head push cart outside their store. They are on Rte 28 just before the Olive Bridge entrance to the Shokan resevoir. Yes, they have Boar's Head hot dogs with all the stuff including a homemade chili sauce. The chili is different and was made up of beef, black beans and other typical chili ingredients. I would say that the chili from this place and Captain Hot Dog ranks the best for the resevoir region.

This past weekend I spotted someone selling hot dogs at a turn-around across from the Suzuki motorcycle shop on Rte 28 just outside of Kingston. I am not sure where that is, Kingston, Hurley or what but it's about 1/4 mile from the Hickory BBQ!
    NAAMikey
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/07/04 17:05:40 (permalink)
    What about hod dog joints on this side of the Hudson River(Eastern), other than Soul Dog?
    There is a place on Rte 82 in the town of Hopewell Junction, called "In the dog house". Also there is a sweet lady on the corner of Old Rte 9 and Myers Corners rd, which is good.
    Mike
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Hudson Valley New York Hot Dog Stands 2008/07/04 17:14:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report...yes,the New York/New Jersey hotdog!!!!!!!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1