First Watch

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4486
  • Reward points : 0
First Watch - Sun, 08/10/03 8:52 PM
Anyone been to one of these?

Love'em.

We have a few in Cincinnati, and I ate at one in downtown Tampa before boarding a cruise a few years back. Don't know where else they might be located. Wonderful breakfasts....

(edited for spelling)

haximon
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: First Watch - Sun, 08/31/03 11:25 PM
First watch is also in Kansas City (I grew up there before moving to Cincinnati)

Ralph Isbill
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: First Watch - Sun, 08/31/03 11:43 PM
I also found First Watch somewhere outside of North Kansas City. Great breakfast. If you find one be sure to try it Ralph from Oklahoma

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
RE: First Watch - Mon, 09/1/03 7:12 AM
OK, So tell us about the First Watch Menu????

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: First Watch - Mon, 09/1/03 8:54 AM
there is one in Tampa that we stop in every so often, as to menu, the basics plus a lot of omellette choices as well as 'skillet' combo's where everything is put in and served to you in a handleless skillet over a wood holder.....also care is taken for health-conscious appetites(like I would know?) with the usual bean sprouts,tofu,etc.
Food quality is generally good but IT'S A CHAIN!! always very busy 'get em' in and get em' out' is the reigning philosophy.....much better idea is to head up dale Maybre hwy about a mile and go to "SUBWORLD''which is not a subshop at all,although their subs are glorious....best breakfast joint in town(lunch as well), no frills,atmosphere , just great food....Al-The-mayor need not concern himself with first watch, he is a Bubworld man through and through

TJ Jackson
RE: First Watch - Tue, 09/2/03 9:52 PM
Yeah, I mentioned there are a few in Cincinnati - yes, it is a chain.

Some chains are pretty good though :-)

In any case, Mr Mayor: http://www.firstwatch.com/site/pages/menus.html

(it's a breakfast and lunch only place, as far as I know)

paul and louise
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: First Watch - Sun, 09/7/03 4:57 PM
louise and i discovered first watch in cinci
we were staying at the omni-netherland plaza
after dinner at the palm court we needed to find a good but affordable breakfast-i believe it is on 8th and vine
we loved the food and the service
the wait was long-thus the name
"first watch" others eat, then others can watch you eat
i would imagine they are a success wherever they locate

fummunda
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: First Watch - Fri, 09/12/03 11:34 PM
First Watches in Kansas City are immaculate and tastefully appointed, the service is fast and friendly, the food is fresh and made with care and imagination. VERY high marks I give it. And that's why I CAN'T STAND IT. It's just too...adorable, and while loads of people adore adorable, I'd rather break my fast at something a bit cruder and ruder, just as long as no health codes are violated. Still if you're buying...

Wordchick
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: First Watch - Sun, 09/26/04 8:13 PM
We've had a couple of them open here in the St. Louis area but I haven't taken time to try it as yet. In the early morning (or the late, late of night) I want to go somewhere that's filled with the smell of cooked bacon and hot coffee.

I don't mind going to the nouveau-trendy places for "brunch" because I'm usually awake and lucid by mid-morning. But when it's early, I have to be somewhere by 8-9 a.m. and all I've had is half a cup of instant joe on the way out the door, I don't want to have to think of which fancy marketing language will get me bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and coffee.

Basic is good. :-)

Milt
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: First Watch - Sun, 09/26/04 9:28 PM
We discovered First Watch this summer on vacation. We ate in Overland Park, KS on 95th at Metcalf and found it to be very enjoyable. I reported on it in a report on our trip a couple of months ago, but didn't realize that they are as large as they apparently are. I was under the impression that they only had thirteen locations in Missouri and Kansas. Are they growing that fast, or do these thirteen reflect one operator rather than the whole operation? Our general impression was that the concept is very reminiscent of Le Peep.

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: First Watch - Sun, 09/26/04 11:41 PM
First Watch and LePeep are safe, clean and BORING......
They are insidious and BORING.....

Wallyum
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: First Watch - Mon, 09/27/04 1:41 AM
My parents eat at the downtown Cincinnati location on a regular basis. I've been there a couple of times and have been impressed enough to wake up to go back. I sleep late on Sunday to get back onto my weekday schedule. I can wake up at noon and cruise until I drop the kids off at school on Monday morning. The First Watch thing disrupts my schedule, but so far it's been well worth it.

TJ Jackson
RE: First Watch - Mon, 09/27/04 8:54 AM
I've never heard of Le Peep, but just looked at their[url='http://www.lepeep.com/national.asp']locations page[/url], and looks like they are nicely spread out and close enough to Cincinnati already (Indianapolis is well represented) that we might get one fairly soon.

Looks [url='http://www.lepeep.com/menupages/']good[/url].

Milt
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: First Watch - Mon, 09/27/04 9:05 AM
We ate at the original LePeep in 1979. It was on Larimer Street in an old warehouse district off of downtown Denver. It was extremely busy, the food was very good, the atmosphere was charming. We thoroughly enjoyed our "find" on that trip to Denver. Years later, a chain of the same name arrived in the Atlanta area. It wasn't the same. Someone had franchised the name and tried to follow an adjusted version of the original menu. It just wasn't the same. Just the same, we occasionally eat at LePeep - but not very often - maybe one a year or so.

berndog
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: First Watch - Mon, 09/27/04 11:12 AM
Never heard of First Watch, and it does seem an unusual name for a restaurant. There's the TV show Third Watch, referring to the evening shift worked by the police, EMS, and fire dept. staff in the show. Does the name refer to the night shift, whose workers get off in the morning and often go out to have a big breakfast the way most of us day workers have dinner as our main meal?

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: First Watch - Mon, 09/27/04 12:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by berndog

Never heard of First Watch, and it does seem an unusual name for a restaurant. There's the TV show Third Watch, referring to the evening shift worked by the police, EMS, and fire dept. staff in the show.

I'm quite partial to Night Watch: Do you suppose they're thinking about breakfast here?

(apologies to RVR.)

veggienow-hotdogthen
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: First Watch - Sun, 01/29/06 12:47 PM
I LOVED First Watch when I lived in Kansas City (because I could get an omelette with loads of fresh avocado), and since I've moved to Portland, Oregon, I've had to resort to making my own at home on Sundays.

Here's a tip you'll surely appreciate, though, if you find FW to be a little too in-the-box. Try Neighbors Cafe in Lee's Summit (suburb of Kansas City, MO). It's changed hands several times over the years, but the last time I was there, they still offered a free, fresh-from-the-oven plate of cinnamon rolls while you wait for your order. Be ready to hang out in the crowded vestibule while you wait for a table on the weekends, unless you're willing to sit with your "neighbors" at the community-style tables in the center of the dining room. Don't ask for the corner seat--it's reserved for a visually-impaired regular and his guide dog--as you'll see if you read the sign on the wall.

The tables are printed with local business' ads, including things like pest-control companies. You can also pick up a couple of coffee mugs with the Neighbors logo and a sampling of the ads.

Basically, this is a place to get coffee from a properly seasoned pot, and about 1200 calories and 200mg of tasty cholesterol on one plate for well under $10. Enough sustenance to get out there and plow the south 40!

Take home a gooseberry pie if you've never had one, but be prepared to add sugar--or at least to pucker up!

quote:
Originally posted by fummunda

First Watches in Kansas City are immaculate and tastefully appointed, the service is fast and friendly, the food is fresh and made with care and imagination. VERY high marks I give it. And that's why I CAN'T STAND IT. It's just too...adorable, and while loads of people adore adorable, I'd rather break my fast at something a bit cruder and ruder, just as long as no health codes are violated. Still if you're buying...

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: First Watch - Sun, 01/29/06 2:20 PM
We loved First Watch. Discovered them when we moved back to Ohio from AZ, where as far as I knew then, there was no First Watch. There is at least one now in Scottsdale.

The restaurants are clean, roomy, the most pleasant young servers possible (not cutsey but very polite and helpful), and we love the variety of dishes. They are open only for breakfast,brunch/lunch and weekends are the busiest, therefore, the longest wait for a table, but not too much so.

Open kitchen and good service. And we've never felt rushed to finish and leave. In fact, they've encouraged us to linger and visit with our table mate(s). In spite of it's being a chain, it is a good one.

Donna

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: First Watch - Fri, 02/3/06 9:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by veggienow-hotdogthen

I LOVED First Watch when I lived in Kansas City (because I could get an omelette with loads of fresh avocado), and since I've moved to Portland, Oregon, I've had to resort to making my own at home on Sundays.

Here's a tip you'll surely appreciate, though, if you find FW to be a little too in-the-box. Try Neighbors Cafe in Lee's Summit (suburb of Kansas City, MO). It's changed hands several times over the years, but the last time I was there, they still offered a free, fresh-from-the-oven plate of cinnamon rolls while you wait for your order. Be ready to hang out in the crowded vestibule while you wait for a table on the weekends, unless you're willing to sit with your "neighbors" at the community-style tables in the center of the dining room. Don't ask for the corner seat--it's reserved for a visually-impaired regular and his guide dog--as you'll see if you read the sign on the wall.

The tables are printed with local business' ads, including things like pest-control companies. You can also pick up a couple of coffee mugs with the Neighbors logo and a sampling of the ads.

Basically, this is a place to get coffee from a properly seasoned pot, and about 1200 calories and 200mg of tasty cholesterol on one plate for well under $10. Enough sustenance to get out there and plow the south 40!

Take home a gooseberry pie if you've never had one, but be prepared to add sugar--or at least to pucker up!

quote:
Originally posted by fummunda

Welcome to the board,Veggie. Always glad to hear from another Portlander.

southjerseymichigan
  • Total Posts : 38
Re:First Watch - Fri, 08/21/09 12:41 PM
First watch is a FLorida-themed restaurant chain with a base in Florida and a strong showing in the Kansas City area, also very popular. I usually patronize the one on Armor Rd. in North Kansas City. They are only open for breakfast and lunch closing at 2 or 2:30. They do not carry beef products. May be orientated to the healthy eaters, not certain. Biggest problem is getting a parking place and then getting a table

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
Re:First Watch - Fri, 08/21/09 5:06 PM
I see there is one in Tuls Ok---will give it a fair shot sometime--the website shows SOME promise--but them Red Lobster looks awesome on the web when your here in OKLAHOMA and far from the coast and the pics of the wall at Arby's LOOK great.But like i said-i will give them a fair shot00i have a FEW chains l eally like.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
Re:First Watch - Fri, 08/21/09 5:27 PM
I went to a First Watch when one opened near me. A check of the customers and the menu indicated that it's the perfect Soccer Mom stop while waiting for the little ones to finish morning practices.

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:First Watch - Tue, 12/1/09 6:50 PM
The hubs and I ate at the one in Sarasota --- it was very good and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Andrea

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
Re:First Watch - Tue, 12/1/09 8:59 PM
We've been to them a few times a year for several years.   Better than some chains.  (my spouse doesn't care for Waffle House, and I do, but we agree on First Watch)
 and I do like their healthy eating options.   Great with special requests, too.

I do like their egg dishes, and they do a better job than most with poached eggs, something you can't always get the local diner to do....nice selection of Benedict's to choose from.

Don't care much for their muffins (too sweet) or their breakfast potatoes, which have no resemblance to hashbrowns at all.  Seem frozen right from the bag....

It's also nice you can get fruit as a side, and the coffee comes to the table for you to pour your own, which is great when the servers and slammed, no waiting.

Downside is the crowds.....

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:First Watch - Tue, 12/1/09 9:06 PM
The only breakfast chain I think is worth a hoot in this day and age is:
http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/