Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion

wrfc5
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 0
Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Tue, 06/5/07 9:21 PM
While my travels throughout the USA have led me to the inescapable conclusion that New Jersey and Connecticut are paradise for dog lovers, I have also come to appreciate the offerings of my beloved Virginia.

I've compiled a short list of great hot dog places here in the Commonwealth, based on my limited experience. Comments and additions are most welcome, and will be investigated promptly!

Vienna Inn, Vienna, famous for loaded dogs, patronized primarily by our friends in the intelligence services.

Roanoke Weiner Stand, Roanoke, a classic neon dog palace, friendly southwest Virginia hospitality.

Frank's Place, Buena Vista, Frank refers both to the dog and the Sinatra on the box. Friendly Massachusetts native owner brings a New England hot dog stand to a small town with spectacular Blue Ridge Mountain scenery as a backdrop (get it? Buena Vista)

Weenie Beenie, Arlington, the last of a once mighty chain.

Mr B's BBQ, Boyce, excellent dogs, locals swear the BBQ is the best in Virginia--who am I to argue?

I'm sure there are many more...

hep2thejive
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Tue, 06/5/07 10:12 PM
Gus's Hot Dog King
10725 Jefferson Avenue
Newport News, VA

That's "Newput" by the way....

I like this place. In addition to franks they have burgers, sausages, fries, shakes, etc. I think they use Hormel brand franks though. They're small dogs and I don't remember them having a casing - so there wasn't any snap. Nonetheless, I would go back in a heartbeat...it's a fun place.

Dog and Burger in Norfolk
2001 Manteo St, Norfolk, VA

Probably my favorite. I think it was once a small service station - now it's a burger and dog joint. It had more character when it first opened and it was more dive-like but the food is still solid.

Hep

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Tue, 06/5/07 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hep2thejive

Or as my Grandmother used to say, "Nawfuk".

wrfc5
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Tue, 06/5/07 11:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:

Or as my Grandmother used to say, "Nawfuk".

There is a really bad joke about "Nawfuk, Virginia", involving an italian train conductor, but since this is a family site, I will spare you the details.

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Wed, 06/6/07 4:49 AM
Hello All,
wrfc5, I am a fellow Virginian and invite you to
visit Harrisonburg, Va. and seek out Jesses' Quick Lunch.
They have the best hot dogs I've eaten. I eat them plain,
but most people order them with his special chili sauce.
And you must have their fries as well.
E-mail me if you ever plan to be in the area and maybe
we could share a dog or two.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

chriscubva
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Thu, 06/7/07 11:53 PM
Until a month ago I used to live in Virginia ( Winchester ). I remember there was a small hot dog chain there called "Sams". Come to think of it I think they had a few locations elsewhere besides Winchester. I also think ( not totally sure though ) they are tied in with Daily Grind Coffeehouses ( a chain who until very recently kept Starbucks from opening up in many parts of the Shenandoah Valley ).

Anyway, the hot dogs were good (not the best but not bad either ) and the prices were cheap too. Once I believe they had a special where $5 can get you 10 hot dogs.

Fieldthistle
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Fri, 06/8/07 10:18 AM
Hello All,
Chriscubva, we have a "Sams" in Harrisonburg. It is actually pretty good, but
not as good as Jesses'.
By the way, we miss you here in Virginia. Wish you hadn't left, at least before
you and I had met.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Fri, 06/8/07 4:01 PM
My husband is from south-central VA (Halifax County) and I have listened to him wax poetic about hot dogs he has known and loved. I'm glad to hear this is a fairly normal fixation in Virginia!

Where in that area or in the VA Beach area would y'all raccommend for a really good hot dog? We'll be up there in August.

BeachFc
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Fri, 06/8/07 4:27 PM
In regards to Virginia Beach, ironically, there was an article in the local paper this Monday reviewing a rather new hot dog place called Jamar Gourmet Dogs (I believe that's the correct spelling?). It is located off of Shore Drive in the Bayside Shopping Center.
The reviews were positive

Fieldthistle
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Sat, 06/9/07 6:49 AM
Hello All,
Mbrookes, it is good to know you have a good taste in men.
We try to keep it a secret, but Virginia husbands are really good hot dogs.
I have a nephew that is a policeman in Virginia Beach. I will ask him where
a good hot dog can be found.
Say hello to your husband from me.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

hep2thejive
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Sat, 06/9/07 5:25 PM
Famous Uncle Al's is down there too. They are becoming a chain - I think there are 6 or 7 now elsewhere in the USA. The local paper previously reviewed a number of other places - I'll try and dig up a link for you.

Hep

jmshumakersr
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Tue, 06/12/07 8:22 AM
Chriscubva, since you left Winchester just a month ago did you notice that the Sam's Hot Dog Stand on Pleasant Valley closed down in the last 6 months or so? I never heard a thing about what happened. I thought their dogs were very good and I thought their barbecue was excellent. There is one more on the north end of Winchester on Rt. 7 (Berryville Ave.) just west of I-81 in a shopping center. It's strictly a drive-up window. I drove in there one Sunday but they were closed and every other time I have been driving by on Rt. 7 there were no cars at the window. I was by there this past Saturday and once again, no one was there. They still have signs out so I guess it's still operating. I too am leaving Winchester in a few months (going back to Colorado) but before I leave I'm going to have another closeup look to see if the place is actually open.

exsquidao
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Tue, 06/12/07 8:43 AM
I lived in Va. Bch. for 4 yrs. (I'm from and live in Ct.)ex-wife is from Farmville Va., any how the only dog experience I remember occured about 4 yrs. ago when I dropped off my daughter at her Aunts for summer and on the way out to start heading back north I stopped at a little gas station / deli / convience thing and got a couple of dogs, they were red and mushy, now I well know the laurels of southern cooking (I.E. ex-wifes) but those were the absolute worst HD's I have ever encountered in my life.

Fieldthistle
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Wed, 06/13/07 5:21 AM
Hello All,
Exsquidao, I've been to Va. Beach dozens of times, and come to think of it,
I've never had a hot dog there.
Are there any good hot dog or Roadfood places in Farmville? I have thought
of visiting that town, but need a good Roadfood reason.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

exsquidao
  • Total Posts : 409
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Wed, 06/13/07 7:41 AM
Hi FT, the HD I spoke of was in Farmville, and I don't know of any RF places there because in the 5 times I have been there it was to drop off and pick up my daughter so aside from the one time I stopped to get those infamous HD's (lol) I have never even eaten around there, it is a very small town, there is a main street that has shops and resturants but not very many at that, the biggest draw seems to be an old carpet factory? that has been turned into shops and such, but again I never did any exploring as I was just always there for the express purpose of dropping off the kid, it is a very rural area but I'm sure there are plenty of RF places around if you did some research, sorry I cannot be of much service.

chriscubva
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Wed, 06/13/07 9:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jmshumakersr

Chriscubva, since you left Winchester just a month ago did you notice that the Sam's Hot Dog Stand on Pleasant Valley closed down in the last 6 months or so? I never heard a thing about what happened. I thought their dogs were very good and I thought their barbecue was excellent. There is one more on the north end of Winchester on Rt. 7 (Berryville Ave.) just west of I-81 in a shopping center. It's strictly a drive-up window. I drove in there one Sunday but they were closed and every other time I have been driving by on Rt. 7 there were no cars at the window. I was by there this past Saturday and once again, no one was there. They still have signs out so I guess it's still operating. I too am leaving Winchester in a few months (going back to Colorado) but before I leave I'm going to have another closeup look to see if the place is actually open.

I forgot all about that location ( Winchester's Pleasant Valley Road ) of Sams ebing closed. Not sure when or why they closed but at one time that location was a McDonalds and a Rally's before that.

I remember the Sam's on Route 7 ( Berryville Ave ). I imagine they dont do much in the way of business as other than Golds Gym, that shopping center is pretty dead. Wasn't always that way though, until 2 years ago what is now a church on the other end of that shopping center was Magic Valley Amusement Park. One of those indoor kiddie parks. Interesting and ironic considering this topic, I was told that place had the best hot dogs, pizza and hamburgers in town.
However being a place that targets young children I wasn't able to see if this was the case since I don't have any kids and they didn't allow adults to enter unless they were with a child.

Magic Valley closed a few years back I heard due to bad management. Wonder what happened to their roller coaster?

Me too moved to Colorado from Winchester. Denver.

chriscubva
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Wed, 06/13/07 10:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
By the way, we miss you here in Virginia. Wish you hadn't left, at least before
you and I had met.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Been to Harrisonburg many of times myself. Actually the very last place I ate at in Virginia before I moved to Denver was Panos on Main Street in that city. Good food. No Hot dogs though LOL.

I'll be back in that town later this year. Hopefully we can meet then. Harrisonburg is a nice place. Wish I could have said the same about Winchester. Due to personal reasons, I have no desire ever to step foot in that town again.

Fieldthistle
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Wed, 06/13/07 10:05 AM
Hello All,
Chriscubva, seriously, e-mail me before you come back
and we shall arrange a time to meet and have a good
Roadfood experience.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

Fieldthistle
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Sun, 06/17/07 4:28 AM
Hello All,
Mbrookes, I received an e-mail from my nephew, Aaron, and he
recommended 2 places, Uncle Al's and BJ for good dogs in Va. Beach.
I would also add the Purple Cow for just good food, not fancy,
just good.
By the way, my nephew, Aaron, is going to make me a great uncle
in December. He and his wife, Tracy, are expecting a baby. He sent
me ultra-sounds pics of Peanut. Life is wonderful. For now, the babe to be
is being called, "Peanut," a nick-name my poppa called Aaron.
I am so pumped up for them. It is Far Out.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Mon, 06/18/07 1:29 PM
Thanks for the hotdog info.
Congrats on the baby. My son just made me a grandmother for the third time by his wife's producing a boy. (Daughter has two precious girls) It just keeps on getting better. I love them all to pieces!

hep2thejive
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Tue, 06/19/07 10:12 PM
I went to Jamar Gourmet Hot Dogs today.

The guys that run it are really nice as was everyone else working in the restaurant.

I had a Hormel natural-skin dog (a decent snap) and my father had the Nathan's skinless. We ordered our dogs with mustard, chili and onions. There are other options as well (cheese, cole slaw). I should have taken pictures as the dogs looked really nice. The chili is not greasy at all and has a good flavor. The dogs are grilled and the fries seemed to be cooked to order. They also have a number of pies including fat free/sugar free if you happen to need to watch blood sugar or other things.

The atmosphere is really nice and family friendly as well.

Next time I'll have to try a slaw dog.

Hep

wrfc5
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Wed, 06/20/07 6:12 PM
quote:

I went to Jamar Gourmet Hot Dogs today.

The guys that run it are really nice as was everyone else working in the restaurant.

I had a Hormel natural-skin dog (a decent snap) and my father had the Nathan's skinless. We ordered our dogs with mustard, chili and onions. There are other options as well (cheese, cole slaw). I should have taken pictures as the dogs looked really nice. The chili is not greasy at all and has a good flavor. The dogs are grilled and the fries seemed to be cooked to order. They also have a number of pies including fat free/sugar free if you happen to need to watch blood sugar or other things.

The atmosphere is really nice and family friendly as well.

Next time I'll have to try a slaw dog.

Hep

Where is Jamar's located (what town?). Thanks.

hep2thejive
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Wed, 06/20/07 7:18 PM
Sorry, I should have read through this thread again. Someone mentioned Jamar in another thread and I got the two mixed up.

It's at 4081 Shore Drive in Virginia Beach in the Bayside Shopping Center. There are two hot dog places in that mall and this one is the newer of the two. I think the other one is next to a laundromat...

Barry

chauly
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Tue, 04/1/08 12:23 PM
Just popping in and out occasionally, but I just have a correction for the Buena Vista hot dog location. The name is actually Franks for the Memories, and we have waaaay more than just great hot dogs...

geographer
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Fri, 05/14/10 3:02 PM
Working my way through hot dog places in Norfolk...so far I would recommend Dog-n-Burger Grille and Tony Jr.'s....

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Hot Dogs in the Old Dominion - Sun, 08/14/11 8:50 PM

vs. 

OK, Virginia hot dog lovers: What's the difference between these two Star City stalwarts?

Yes, I know that the Roanoke Weiner Stand is on Campbell Street (in the Center in the Square area) In Roanoke, Virginia and the Texas Tavern is just a couple of blocks away on Church Avenue, but which one is better and how do the dogs differ?

On a number of occasions -- albeit over a quarter century ago -- I patronized one of these places (which was then known for serving ice cold Coke in those seven {?} ounce glass bottles with a straw) and which I THOUGHT was the Texas Tavern (hailed on this site). I dined there tonight for dinner and am now not convinced that I'm visiting the right place. The dogs were OK. And the place, from the inside, looks like the place I used to go to. But I'm pretty sure that the one I used to go to was closer to the Center in the Square area. THAT SAID, the seemingly competing Roanoke Weiner Stand (which I walked past also this evening but, alas, is closed on Sundays) looks NOTHING like the place I used to go (but seems to be at least near the spot I remembered).

Help! Did the Roanoke Weiner Stand used to look like the Texas Tavern 25-30 years ago? Or should I stop trick-or-treating at Timothy Leary's house?