The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

I just finished reading...

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
I just finished reading... Wed, 06/6/07 1:45 AM (permalink)
I know this should be under the "what are you reading" but I'm really excited about this book and want everyone to know (ok, i'm being seflish)
It's called Lover of Unreason and is about Sylvia Plath's widow Ted Hughes and his lover Assia Wevill. I don't want to give too much info but it is fascinating! I read it in two days! I've also just started the first couple of pages of Children of God which was recommended by desertdog...I think. Lover of Unreason has also inspired me to write poetry so i've signed up to join a poetry writing group at the public library. I'm so excited. Staying home with the kids can pretty much delete your brain cells so I'm looking forward for some intellectual stimulation!!!

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
    RE: I just finished reading... Wed, 06/6/07 5:46 AM (permalink)
    Just curious, was he having an affair with this lady while married to Plath? Could that be part of the reason for her demise?

naxet76

RE: I just finished reading... Wed, 06/6/07 10:57 AM (permalink)
      yes! it started sometime towards her end. Assia was pretty much written out of ted and sylvia's history so these two authors did an incredible job of research. They dug through old letters, talked to all her friends who knew her, her sister and finally in 1996 Ted Hughes decided to grant them an interview about this private matter which he'd never done before. But, I think whether Assia was involved ornot, plath would've killed herself anyway. She was very jealous and possesive of Hughes. Let me just say also that Assia Wevill was quite a character; I didn't really like her according to how all her friends portrayed her and the things she did. You must read this book I could NOT put it down!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: I just finished reading... Wed, 06/6/07 12:12 PM (permalink)
        Our performing arts company performed Ted Hughes' translation of Racine's "Phedre" back in 2004. There's no question that Ted Hughes felt a personal connection with this particular greek tragedy. The way Phedre loses her mind is eerily similar to what he may have been experiencing with his wife. In fact, he wrote the translation late in life, just before his last work "Birthday Letters," which together, shows how much Sylvia Plath was on Ted Hughes' mind late in life.

naxet76

RE: I just finished reading... Wed, 06/6/07 1:39 PM (permalink)
          correction: All God's Children by Rene Denfeld

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
            RE: I just finished reading... Wed, 06/6/07 3:33 PM (permalink)
            OK, naxet76. I thought you were referring to the sequel to The Sparrow, which was a fascinating and excruciating read.

Tom

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
              RE: I just finished reading... Sat, 05/18/13 3:48 PM (permalink)
              MAYDAY, The Decline of American Naval Supremacy, by Seth Cropsey.

I've not been upset by our shrinking Navy. The term "rightsized" has been used, and being retired military, I thought that I understood the choices we have made.

The author, a former Undersecretary, has caused me to rethink. Maybe we need more, and cheaper, single purpose ships, more subs, and more but smaller carriers.

I have my own doubts about smaller carriers, as big one give economy of scale (something he doesn't directly mention). Three smaller carriers (update of the WW II Jeep concept) to replace one big fleet carrier would carry the same number of planes at almost twice the cost.......bad economics

It is a little hard reading, but I would not be surprised to see members of congress read this new book.........or at least have a staffer read it and brief them.

Update 15 July 13  The Wall Street Journal reviewed the book today. The reviewer, a retired Admiral thinks that it is an important book. He too notes the problem with smaller ships. Half the size is not 1/2 the cost, and he notes that procurement issues are a money pit. Like industry, the biggest cost for the Navy is people. Money spent on automation pays off for the 25 yr service life of a ship. The new LCS costs a lot for it's size, but runs with a crew of about 30. With less automation, a ship with LCS capabilities would need to be larger and crewed with 130.

The admiral notes that an army can be built quickly. As a student, I once saw a case study of how to put an extra million men in the army in 60 days. A Navy takes many years, and expansion depends on the ability on industry to build. According to Cropsy, in the history of the world, no state that gave up naval power has ever recovered it, and no former naval power has remained a powerful nation. (He exempts the British navy, because that was a friendly handoff to a close ally, the USA) 
              <message edited by tmiles on Mon, 07/15/13 12:47 PM>

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                RE: I just finished reading... Sat, 05/18/13 4:30 PM (permalink)
                Philip Margolin's latest.... Slight of Hand. Good mystery!

tmiles

RE: I just finished reading... Sat, 07/6/13 4:10 PM (permalink)
                  The Magical Stranger by Stephen Rodrick.  The author mostly known as a sports journalist looks into his fathers death. Rodrick Sr. was the pilot of a EA6 "Prowler" (aka "Pig") that went down when the author was just a kid.

This time last summer I was reading a book about a B-24 guy and his time as a POW during WW II. That book eventually became a beat seller. Magical Stranger is better. Rodrick is a great writer, and a great reporter. The Navy gave him full access........rides in the planes, and sea time on the carriers, and he tells their story like few others could.
                  <message edited by tmiles on Sat, 07/6/13 5:49 PM>

jaylhorner

RE: I just finished reading... Sun, 07/7/13 9:10 PM (permalink)
                    Private Berlin...... Not to happy with book. Don't recommend it.

tmiles

RE: I just finished reading... Fri, 07/26/13 1:38 PM (permalink)
                      Daring Young Men by Richard Reeves. I missed it when it came out a few years ago, and even though the author is well known, I don't think it had much impact. The book is about the Berlin Airlift, and although well written and interesting to me, might as well be about an obscure battle during the Mexican War. Most folks are not interested. There is too much new history being made.

If you like history,especially early Cold War history, it is a good book and you should read it.

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                        RE: I just finished reading... Sat, 07/27/13 1:12 AM (permalink)
                        I'm in the middle of The Firey Cross by Diana Gabaldon on my lord knows how many trips through the Outlander series. Love all of her books. Waiting on the newest novel in March with eager anticipation.

tmiles

RE: I just finished reading... Sun, 08/4/13 4:07 PM (permalink)
                          Life, Death and Cheese, a review by Steven Jenkins, of the book The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti.  Mr Jenkins, a master cheesemonger himself, is an artist with words. In his review, he describes Paramo de Guzman, a Manchego type cheese as ,"Ari and I "discovered" Mr Molinaro's cheese, a cheese so fine as to rip the top of our heads off at first taste. As I exhaled, primitive fragrances fired my taste buds like an entire region's electricity grid lighting up. The cheese was what I call excruciatingly delicious- so good that it made me wince" 

As a shepherd, I had heard of the sheep milk cheese, but it was so expensive, that I never had any. (It was not in the review, but I have heard of a small taste going for $100 in a tappas bar). When it was made, in the 80s and 90s, it was the world's most expensive cheese, but Jenkins says that higher priced cheeses are common now. Expensive as it was, the maker went broke, and the name was sold off.
                          <message edited by tmiles on Sun, 08/4/13 5:47 PM>

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                            RE: I just finished reading... Mon, 08/5/13 10:38 AM (permalink)
                            Just finished The Drop by Michael Connelly and now reading A Game of Thrones.  I want to get through the 3rd one before the series comes back to HBO next year.

jaylhorner

RE: I just finished reading... Mon, 08/5/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
                              Chasing the Dime by Michael Connelly.... good mystery.

SodaDude

• Total Posts: 26
                                RE: I just finished reading... Mon, 08/12/13 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                For Liberty and Glory by James R. Gaines.  It tells the story of Washington and Lafayette during the American and French revolutions.

tmiles

RE: I just finished reading... Fri, 09/6/13 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                  hatteras04

Just finished The Drop by Michael Connelly and now reading A Game of Thrones.  I want to get through the 3rd one before the series comes back to HBO next year.

I've avoided reading Game, so that it will be fresh when I watch it. When a TV series ends too early, though, I try to find the book (if it was based on one) so I can see how it ends.  I am watching King's "Under The Dome" this summer. I only started watching, because I knew that I could read the book in case of early cancellation.

John B

RE: I just finished reading... Fri, 09/6/13 8:27 PM (permalink)
                                    If you read King's "Under the Dome" you'll find the book is nothing like the TV series. The book is much better and the characters are much more entertaining in the book. I gave up on the TV series.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                                      RE: I just finished reading... Sat, 09/7/13 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                      The Liberty Amendments - Restoring the American Republic by Mark R. Levin. 

This book offers real Hope for those who desire real Change through use of Article V (not to be confused with the "Fifth Amendment") of the U.S. Constitution

Whatever your political predelection, this work is important in that it brings attention and focus on that which has been there all along, but has yet to be used: the 'second method' of amending the Constitution. 

tmiles

RE: I just finished reading... Tue, 10/8/13 4:53 PM (permalink)
                                        TERROR RED by Hunt and Hunsinger. It's a  presidential hostage thriller that would make a good movie. I enjoyed it and it is a quick easy read, in an interesting double first person, format.

tmiles

RE: I just finished reading... Tue, 10/8/13 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                          John B

If you read King's "Under the Dome" you'll find the book is nothing like the TV series. The book is much better and the characters are much more entertaining in the book. I gave up on the TV series.

Yes , it got sort of crappy. I hung in there through the cliffhanger season end. I was under the impression that it was a summer series that would end in 10 weeks. I doubt that I will start with it again, if/when it returns.

I did like HUNTED on cable. It was not really great, but it came to a satisfying finish after 8 (I think?) episodes.  

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                                            RE: I just finished reading... Thu, 10/10/13 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                            This year I've been reading the books of Mayne Reid.  He wrote some of the very first westerns.  His best books are from the 1850s.  I'm currently enjoying "The War Trail" (1857).  The plot of this novel moves briskly (after the first 15 of its 100 chapters); the language is fresh.  It's not stodgily written at all.  I'm surprised that Reid hasn't been re-discovered before now.  Maybe some day he will get his chance.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com