Pizza in Italy--yuck!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Cheeseburger
2007/06/11 23:03:26
Italy needs to learn how to make pizza from us Americans. On a trip to Italy some years ago, we had pizza in Rome near the Colliseum. It was served to us cold (they heated up pizzas for the locals who came in after us but somehow ours weren't). The dough was heavy and tasteless, and pretty much ranked below Chuck E Cheese. So to avoid making the same mistake in Florence, we ASKED the locals for the best pizza joint, and they directed us to a pizza house that was packed with locals. OK, so the pizza was slightly better, came on a thin crust, so thin--almost as thin as a flour tortilla. The topping were bland and skimpy, as was the cheese. So you can imagine how the rest of our dining experiences in Italy went--spaghetti, risotto, lasagne, etc. Give me a good Italian restaurant in any downtown USA anyday!
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/11 23:28:52
Errrrr...not to doubt that you didn't enjoy the food that you ate in Italy, offlady, and I am sorry about that, but I have to tell you, I have been to Italy numerous times, all over the peninsula(particularly Rome), and I have eaten very good pizza, pasta, etc. The average meal in Italy outshone the average meal for which I would pay comparable prices in the US. Overall quality of vegetables, fruits, pasta, etc. were not to be beaten. I certainly didn't eat in fancy places in Italy, either. Maybe there were just some unfortunate recommendations that you and your husband were given?
I can think of a couple of pizzerias and restaurants that serve pizza in Rome which were excellent right off the top of my head. I wish I could have given you the recommendations in time.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/11 23:47:07
"Offlady", last November, I spent two weeks in Italy. I thought the food AND the pizza's were, incredible!!! Especially a little pizza restaurant around the corner from the Panthenon. The pizza was fantastic! Thin crust with fresh tomato sauce, fresh buffalo mozzerella and fresh garlic. Another one with tomato sauce and anchovy and I was in pizza heaven.
I was in Rome, Naples, and the Amalfi coast from Sorrrento and Positano to Salerno. The food, especially the sea food was pristine and the pizza's-wherever we ate them, were just wonderful. If your used to thick dough pizza loaded with "the kitchen sink", then naturally, we couldn't expect you to appreciate fabulous food made with quality fresh ingredients the "old fashioned way".
Next time, save your money and go to Las Vegas!
This coming November I'm off to Italy again. This time to Tuscany. A completely different gastronomic
experience from what I had in Rome and the South. I can't wait for the truffle hunt I have been invited to at the end of my trip.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 01:25:45
No, nobody needs to make pizza like the Italians. The Americans can just suffer. Nice thin semi-burnt crust, very light toppings, baked in a wood oven. Best pizza on the planet. Been all over Italy and never had a bad meal. But the pizza was stellar!
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 05:02:48
Sorry, Offlady, but I have to agree with the others. In my trips to Italy, I have to say that I never had a bad meal and the pizza and pasta were consistently wonderful. There are only two possibilities here as I see it:

*Either you happened to find some of the only bad restaurants/pizzarias in Italy.
or
*Your expectations of what Italian food should taste like have been influenced by consistently mediocre American versions of these dishes.

After all, there are people who believe that a hamburger should taste like those that come from McDonald's and who turn their noses up at a real burger cooked on a grill. Sadly, this syndrome may have affected you in regard to Italian food.
doggydaddy
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 06:40:56

Are you sure you weren't in Japan? Now there is a place where the pizza is lacking...

Your profile shows you are living in Hawaii. Not that I was searching for pizza during a recent trip, but I love to look through the Yellow Pages wherever I go. My observation was that the on pizzas there are basically chains. I'm not sure that Italian food transfers well there either.

mark
Tedbear
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 07:01:19
On second thought, if you were comparing the pizza in Italy to the pizza served in Gary, Indiana, then I can well understand the disappointment that you felt. As all veterans of this board can tell you, pizza originated in Gary, Indiana, and this city is still the pinnacle of excellence in that type of food--at least according to someone who is now banned from this site.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 08:05:13
The only thing I can think is that you are a person who enjoys The Pizza Hut and Olive Garden. Many people do think that is real Italian food.............how sad.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 08:45:38
I've been to Italy a few times, Sicily when in the Navy and Umbria for leisure. In both regions the traditional pizza was different but yet very good to great.
Most of the pizza I consumed there was from a bakery not a pizza shop per/se. It was a by product of the bread bakeing I think, I found out that the ovens there never go out, always very warm to hot.
Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy yours as much as I did. Chow Jim
Fieldthistle
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 08:53:01
Hello All,
I've never been to Italy, but my wife has and she has nothing but praise for
the food there. It has influenced the way she cooks now.
We have 6 or seven Italian restaurants around here in the Harrisonburg, Va.
that are owned by Italian immigrants. We have gotten friendly with 3 of the
owners and discovered that they often prepare some dishes, especially pizza,
for what they consider American tastes. They are delighted when someone asks
for or choses one they offer that is truly of Italian design. My wife has
brought back a pizza and I can tell by just looking at it, and then tasting it,
that it is not a typical American style of pizza. The ingredients are fresher,
more herbs are used and they aren't blended into a sauce, but placed on the pizza,
and often there is no sauce, but some kind of tomato (dried or something), and the
cheese is buffalo mozzerella. The crust are home-made which makes a tremendous difference.
They are delicious and different to the pizza I am accustomed to.
But, don't cry for my tastebuds and you may consider me a hayseed, but I prefer American style
pizza and thus, probably Americanized Italian dishes. I say prefer, but will not
limit myself to.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
stevefinn
Hamburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 09:12:50
My wife is from Italy, and our "home" pizzas are from scratch--and I mean scratch. Yeast, water, flour, sauce from garden-grown tomatoes, mozzarella (okay, we don't make that) and frequently sausage that her parents regularly make. Best pizza I've ever had, and this from someone who didn't even like Italian food until I met her (and got engaged 5 weeks later). Her sauce and her mother's are amazing. I've tried to describe it to people before, but can't. The best I can do is to say that it "explodes" in your mouth. She's from the Calabria region, but I don't if pizzas in Italy differ regionally (I expect so).
firecommander3565
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 09:35:04
I have been to Italy a couple of times and it can be really a hit or miss when it comes to food. A friend and I once had a pasta dinner, with the generally trimmings, soup , salad and a bottle of wine and it was $68.... that was 20 years ago.

We devised a plan, we started to watch where the locals gathered for lunch, where was there a crowd of NON tourist? Down form the Vatacian in Rome, we found a place called the Pizza House. It was by far the best food and cheap, really cheap. We ate like kings for $20.

So the lesson is stray away from the tourists, look for the locals and you will discover the gems .
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 10:00:16
quote:
Originally posted by firecommander3565

I have been to Italy a couple of times and it can be really a hit or miss when it comes to food. A friend and I once had a pasta dinner, with the generally trimmings, soup , salad and a bottle of wine and it was $68.... that was 20 years ago.

We devised a plan, we started to watch where the locals gathered for lunch, where was there a crowd of NON tourist? Down form the Vatacian in Rome, we found a place called the Pizza House. It was by far the best food and cheap, really cheap. We ate like kings for $20.

So the lesson is stray away from the tourists, look for the locals and you will discover the gems .

One time when staying very close to the Vatican, we did virtuly the same thing. With great results! We all enjoyed a great dinner and the owners and staff were delighted to have us.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 12:12:25
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
I've never been to Italy, but my wife has and she has nothing but praise for
the food there. It has influenced the way she cooks now.
We have 6 or seven Italian restaurants around here in the Harrisonburg, Va.
that are owned by Italian immigrants. We have gotten friendly with 3 of the
owners and discovered that they often prepare some dishes, especially pizza,
for what they consider American tastes. They are delighted when someone asks
for or choses one they offer that is truly of Italian design. My wife has
brought back a pizza and I can tell by just looking at it, and then tasting it,
that it is not a typical American style of pizza. The ingredients are fresher,
more herbs are used and they aren't blended into a sauce, but placed on the pizza,
and often there is no sauce, but some kind of tomato (dried or something), and the
cheese is buffalo mozzerella. The crust are home-made which makes a tremendous difference.
They are delicious and different to the pizza I am accustomed to.
But, don't cry for my tastebuds and you may consider me a hayseed, but I prefer American style
pizza and thus, probably Americanized Italian dishes. I say prefer, but will not
limit myself to.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

I'm not doubting you FT, but I can't fathom why the ingredients would be any fresher if you ask for an "italian" style pizza? It's the same kitchen, the ingredients are coming from the same place. And I don't understand why they'd keep their fresh ingredients for only these rare special order pizzas and use less fresh ingredients for their regular pizzas.
Maybe they do business this way, but IMO, they're nuts.

Fieldthistle
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 13:18:11
Hello All,
Scorereader, I apologize for the way I wrote, especially apologize to my friends who operate
these businesses. All their ingredients are fresh, but to make an American style pizza they
use a sauce that has the ingredients in it. Often for their special "Italian " authentic pizza,
they prepare it differently. Once I ordered a hamburger, mushroom pizza. It was like a regular
American style pizza. Another time, the wife ordered a cheese mushroom pizza the way he would make it
in Italy. It was on the menu. It looked, tasted, and was prepared differently. Instead of sprinkled cheese
that melts and mergers with the other toppings together, it was placed on the pie in uniform, nice round portions.
The "sauce" was not really a sauce, but I believe a dried tomato or half dried that cooked and blended
into the crust, cheese, and other additives (mushrooms and herbs) while it was in the oven. And most of all,
the herbs and seasonings that were added, such as basil, garlic, and whatever, were fresh and sprinkled all
over as a topping. Most American style pizza seems to have those ingredients in their sauce. At least that is
how it is in my neighborhood.
I used the word, "fresher" perhaps wrongly. They are separate and thus more distinct, more rich and identifiable.
It is my opinion. My wife has been educating me on true Italian food, and it is different from what I
have experienced all my life. It sounds trite, but the American Italian food seems more of a blending of
ingredients that produce one flavour, while what I've been given of what I'm told is true Italian food
is a wonderful wildfire of various flavours, that are each discernable, yet merge together for a wonderful taste.
I am not sure I am explaining this right. I am sorry if I'm not.
The businesses I spoke of do not have 2 standards, but rather have a varied way of how they make their foods
depending on what the customer asks for. Am I making any sense?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/12 17:05:39
quote:
Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
Scorereader, I apologize for the way I wrote, especially apologize to my friends who operate
these businesses. All their ingredients are fresh, but to make an American style pizza they
use a sauce that has the ingredients in it. Often for their special "Italian " authentic pizza,
they prepare it differently. Once I ordered a hamburger, mushroom pizza. It was like a regular
American style pizza. Another time, the wife ordered a cheese mushroom pizza the way he would make it
in Italy. It was on the menu. It looked, tasted, and was prepared differently. Instead of sprinkled cheese
that melts and mergers with the other toppings together, it was placed on the pie in uniform, nice round portions.
The "sauce" was not really a sauce, but I believe a dried tomato or half dried that cooked and blended
into the crust, cheese, and other additives (mushrooms and herbs) while it was in the oven. And most of all,
the herbs and seasonings that were added, such as basil, garlic, and whatever, were fresh and sprinkled all
over as a topping. Most American style pizza seems to have those ingredients in their sauce. At least that is
how it is in my neighborhood.
I used the word, "fresher" perhaps wrongly. They are separate and thus more distinct, more rich and identifiable.
It is my opinion. My wife has been educating me on true Italian food, and it is different from what I
have experienced all my life. It sounds trite, but the American Italian food seems more of a blending of
ingredients that produce one flavour, while what I've been given of what I'm told is true Italian food
is a wonderful wildfire of various flavours, that are each discernable, yet merge together for a wonderful taste.
I am not sure I am explaining this right. I am sorry if I'm not.
The businesses I spoke of do not have 2 standards, but rather have a varied way of how they make their foods
depending on what the customer asks for. Am I making any sense?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

OK, OK - no apologies needed here. I just wrote for clarification - which you did superbly.
I don't know if I agree with the idea that American italian is a blended flavor while Italian cooking has more discernable flavors. But, no matter. consider yourself well explained and equally as well understood. confusion has been wiped away.

yours,
scorereader
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/17 12:02:22
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

"Offlady", last November, I spent two weeks in Italy. I thought the food AND the pizza's were, incredible!!! Especially a little pizza restaurant around the corner from the Parthenon.
(snip)

Uh, isn't the Parthenon in Greece?

Glad you enjoyed your trip, though!

Tom
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 00:43:39
Last time I was in Europe, they had not re-located the Parthenon. It was still in Greece! Perhaps the above poster was thinking of the Colosseum?? I never had a bad meal in Italy. Or France, or Belgium or Spain.......it's NOT American cooking for sure. It's not better or worse, just different.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 01:14:35
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Last time I was in Europe, they had not re-located the Parthenon. It was still in Greece! Perhaps the above poster was thinking of the Colosseum?? I never had a bad meal in Italy. Or France, or Belgium or Spain.......it's NOT American cooking for sure. It's not better or worse, just different.

Sorry about that. I have changed Parthenon to the correct, Panthenon. Which, hopefully, I have spelled correctly. If you had ever been to the Panthenon in Rome, or, had even heard of it, you would have known exactly what I meant and would have realized how easy it is to make a "dyslexic" mistake in confusing these two famous and historic buildings.
unabashed
Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 01:31:31
quote:
Originally posted by offlady

Italy needs to learn how to make pizza from us Americans. On a trip to Italy some years ago, we had pizza in Rome near the Colliseum. It was served to us cold (they heated up pizzas for the locals who came in after us but somehow ours weren't). The dough was heavy and tasteless, and pretty much ranked below Chuck E Cheese. So to avoid making the same mistake in Florence, we ASKED the locals for the best pizza joint, and they directed us to a pizza house that was packed with locals. OK, so the pizza was slightly better, came on a thin crust, so thin--almost as thin as a flour tortilla. The topping were bland and skimpy, as was the cheese. So you can imagine how the rest of our dining experiences in Italy went--spaghetti, risotto, lasagne, etc. Give me a good Italian restaurant in any downtown USA anyday!

ITALY STARTED PIZZA we changed it
your just too americanised if you went to to china you would not enjoy thier fried rice....if you went to england you might hate the breakfast...(thats a big ass breakfast DAMN)...but don't feel bad in anyway about it "YOUR AMERICAN" nothing wrong with that at all i just find that we are kinda pampered....stuck in our ways.....our pallets have became dull so im all for other cultures ways and why they are eating it that way but as for the pizza in italy they are plain and simple all about the fresh ingredints simple good comfort food....and probally alot more healthier than our version.........but im all for to each his own.....so enjoy what ya like/love in the GOOD OL USA.... but when you journey elsewhere it will always be different....
at the moment im really into greek food and maltza ball soup........yea new diner opened up ......and its called "THE DINER" NO **** ITS IN FREDRICK MD AND THE FOOD IS WOW........if your up this way check it out its worth a drive......ill post web address and directions soon kinda late its in frederick md
bye for now
ron
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 01:41:45
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

quote:

"Offlady", last November, I spent two weeks in Italy. I thought the food AND the pizza's were, incredible!!! Especially a little pizza restaurant around the corner from the Parthenon.
(snip)

Uh, isn't the Parthenon in Greece?

Glad you enjoyed your trip, though!

Tom

Sorry, I hate when I do that. Of course, I mean't, the Panthenon.
And, yes thank you, Tom. I did have a great trip.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 02:08:46
Well, I still stick to my story.....I never had a bad meal in Italy. Great pizza, great pasta, great gnocchi, on and on.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 02:22:00
quote:

Well, I still stick to my story.....I never had a bad meal in Italy. Great pizza, great pasta, great gnocchi, on and on.

I agree! I think the secret is, understated, simply prepared, uncomplicated dishes made with local fresh ingredients and a thousand years of "practise".
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 04:45:50
I prefer a style of pizza that is as simple as possible and probably a lot closer to what people are saying would be found in Italy than the usual American product. I like thin crusts and I never get more than one topping. I do not like too much cheese or sauce to the point where the thing is more like tomato soup on a roll. I want to taste whatever topping I do choose as a pure flavor, not a mishmash with a dozen other things. And I like a sprinkling ofherbs--especially on a "4 cheese" pizza (no tomato sauce). All this is by way of saying I'm on the side of the Italians.
Tedbear
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 04:52:43
quote:

quote:

Sorry about that. I have changed Parthenon to the correct, Panthenon. Which, hopefully, I have spelled correctly. If you had ever been to the Panthenon in Rome, or, had even heard of it, you would have known exactly what I meant and would have realized how easy it is to make a "dyslexic" mistake in confusing these two famous and historic buildings.

You're getting closer, but you're not quite there yet. That magnificent building in Rome is the Pantheon, not the Panthenon.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 11:24:29
quote:
Originally posted by BT

I prefer a style of pizza that is as simple as possible and probably a lot closer to what people are saying would be found in Italy than the usual American product. I like thin crusts and I never get more than one topping. I do not like too much cheese or sauce to the point where the thing is more like tomato soup on a roll. I want to taste whatever topping I do choose as a pure flavor, not a mishmash with a dozen other things. And I like a sprinkling ofherbs--especially on a "4 cheese" pizza (no tomato sauce). All this is by way of saying I'm on the side of the Italians.

I agree. And, would add, they are not easy to find in America.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 11:27:14
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

quote:

quote:

You're getting closer, but you're not quite there yet. That magnificent building in Rome is the Pantheon, not the Panthenon.

Thank you, Tedbear. I had a feeling I had it spelled inccorectly.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 21:49:04
I love the "quattro stagione" wood fired oven pizza; you know, the really thin almost cracker crust, fresh tomato sauce, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, and then each quarter different; one with pancetta, one with artichoke hearts, one with porcini, and one with pimento. I don't know how authentic it is, but I love that pizza. Is the style similar to that in Italy? The thin crust and the fresh ingredients?

Tom
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/06/18 22:49:03
quote:

I love the "quattro stagione" wood fired oven pizza; you know, the really thin almost cracker crust, fresh tomato sauce, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, and then each quarter different; one with pancetta, one with artichoke hearts, one with porcini, and one with pimento. I don't know how authentic it is, but I love that pizza. Is the style similar to that in Italy? The thin crust and the fresh ingredients?

Tom

Yes! That's the style of pizza I had in the restaurant near the PANTHEON.
Ouisch
Junior Burger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/13 23:30:14
I've only been to Italy once, and the pizza was....different. Not saying it was bad, but I'm definitely more accustomed to our American variety. We tried the pizza in Rome and in Florence, and both times the ingredients were laid out in quadrants; they didn't cover the whole pie with pepperoni and mushrooms, they put the pepperoni in one quarter, the mushrooms in another, black olives in another, etc. Oh, and they left the pits in the black olives. I nearly broke a tooth biting into it.
Julietflower
Junior Burger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/17 08:52:28
I enjoyed it a lot,,,,, still remember the taste..........

Juliet

BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/17 09:15:01
We had pizza in Rome, in the Embassy area. It was in a semi-basement. We had to go down a couple of stairs. They were playing American country music, but only spoke italian. Fortunately, pizza and prosciutto were enough to get the message across. It was excellent. Had pizza in other parts of Italy, too and all were good. We live in Ct. and they have wonderful pizza here with which to compare.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/17 09:35:06
quote:

quote:

Tom

Yes! That's the style of pizza I had in the restaurant near the PANTHEON.

For those of you interested, the name of the pizza restaurant I wrote about near the Pantheon is, "La Sagrestia"
address: Via del Seminario 89, Roma.
Enjoy!
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/17 10:01:56
I wonder what a visitor from Italy would say when the Domino's guy comes to deliver.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/22 22:51:12
As good as the pizza is in Italy, there are so many other things that are even better. The seafood, the vegetables, the perfectly cooked and sauced pasta, the amazing cheeses, the salumi, the gelato and the best coffee in the world. Don't forget the regional specialties which make the term "Italian food" mean different things from place to place, region to region. I'm guessing that the originator of this thread went on a bus tour of Italy, ate at the places that feature tourist menus, and ordered what she'd order at home, e.g., Spaghetti and Meatballs. A trip to a wonderful place like Italy (or most any other country for that matter) is wasted when the traveller goes with the expectation that it'll be just like home and if it's not, then it's "yuck."
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 00:04:52
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

As good as the pizza is in Italy, there are so many other things that are even better. The seafood, the vegetables, the perfectly cooked and sauced pasta, the amazing cheeses, the salumi, the gelato and the best coffee in the world. Don't forget the regional specialties which make the term "Italian food" mean different things from place to place, region to region. I'm guessing that the originator of this thread went on a bus tour of Italy, ate at the places that feature tourist menus, and ordered what she'd order at home, e.g., Spaghetti and Meatballs. A trip to a wonderful place like Italy (or most any other country for that matter) is wasted when the traveller goes with the expectation that it'll be just like home and if it's not, then it's "yuck."

Well said!
sizz
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 00:08:16
Pizza in Italy is good........................ Pizza in the United States is Superior. Lets face it we here do every thing better. .Nowhere in Italy will you find a better pizza then the pizza you'll find in Connecticut / New York and Chicago .....
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 00:11:32
Yeah, well what about the rest of us that don't live in those three areas. We can only dream...........
sizz
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 00:56:42
quote:

Yeah, well what about the rest of us that don't live in those three areas. We can only dream...........
Well Madam I see your from Dallas so you can always fix yourself a world renowned Texas BBQ beef brisket sandwich and let the Italians dream of one day coming to Texas to feast on what you have...........
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 01:01:17
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:

Well Madam I see your from Dallas so you can always fix yourself a world renowned Texas BBQ beef brisket sandwich and let the Italians dream of one day coming to Texas to feast on what you have...........

Very nice. But, I'm a MALE not a female. Where did you get "madame" from, pray tell.
sizz
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 01:29:51
quote:

Very nice. But, I'm a MALE not a female. Where did you get "madame" from, pray tell.

With a name like "TwinWillow"............................... you mean "WeepingWillow" was already taken? ....lol
this reminds me of the Johnny Cash song "My Name is Sue" I suppose your screen name will make you a stronger person and I apologies for the assumption that you were a madame least you poke me in the nose.............. I once made the same mistake with a fellow roadfooder named " Fieldthistle " who is now my friend. Let's hope the same scenario will repeat itself. ............... Frank
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 01:33:40
No Problem. "Twinwillow" was the name of my vineyard in Sonoma in Northen California.
We had two large weeping willow trees at the entrance to our vineyard. Hence the name.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/31 10:18:29
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

I wonder what a visitor from Italy would say when the Domino's guy comes to deliver.

The same thing that I would say -- "Sorry, you've got the wrong house!"
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/08/27 18:07:28
hey,
Having been to Italy many times,I got to tell you,the pizza there is unique to "The Boot". When I first went to italy in the early 70's,pizza was hard to find outside Naples, With the influx of American tourist in the 80's, 90's and today,they've learned to give us what we're looking for when we go there. I think in so doing, they discovered their own regional dish, and now pizza is everywhere...not just a food of the Neopolitans. Now real Neopolitan pizza can be found everywhere. It's the thin crust,woodburning oven pizza so many of you have been talking about.
There is another pizza, all over Italy,especially in Rome called Pizza Rustica. It's best described as being closest to Square "Sicilian" Pizza you get in many places here in the states.. Last time I was there, they were serving it like so many pizzarias now serve it here..by putting pans of many types out in a row for customers to choose the toppings they like best.There they served it by weight..so many lira per kilo. You indicated how large a piece and they cut you a slice,weighed it on a scale,priced it and gave it to you. . You could order quite a few small pieces...and try a nice variety. I wish some pizza places would adopt that idea...by weight slices.
By the way I like pizza capricosa(Spelling?) pizza with "evrything". Each place I went to had different toppimgs. Once in Florence, a pizza capricosa had a poached egg in the center of the pie!!!
My favorite surprise was potato pizza..a white pizza with thin slices of potato ,dizzled olive oil, salt pepper and spices/
When I'm in Italy I try a different place everyday. Yes American pizza(New York style..Chicago pizza isn.t pizza,but more a pizza layer cake) is different...but in the land where pizza was invented,Pizza Still Rules.
Hope this didn't rattle on too long, but Pizza is my passion!
leethebard
UrbanSpaceman
Junior Burger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/08/29 09:55:49
My parents are actually leaving on vacation for Italy at the end of this week. I'm interested in hearing what my dad thinks about actual Italian pizza considering the only toppings he tolerates on pizza are pepperoni and sausage. He's also convinced that it wont top Chicago-style pizza, specifically Lou Malnati's. I thought most if not all Italian pizza was more vegetable based?
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/09/05 13:29:55
i'm kinda shocked at the OP. to go all the way to Italy and then dismiss it as yuck, and they need to cook like us
i've only been to venice, but the pizza i had there nearly blew my head off it was so good. very simple with the best ingredients. had a prosciutto and fresh artichoke pizza that i still wish i could recreate
jmckee
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/09/05 17:41:37
Other topics to be launched in this series:

Sauerbraten in Germany: What a joke!
Jambalaya in Louisiana? I don't think so
What do the French know about pommes frites?
Hey Minnesota! You call this lutefisk?

And as an added bonus: I guess you Chinese people think you can make hot and sour soup
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/09/05 21:08:42
Hey! Don't forget fish and chips in England. Yuk!
Grin
Junior Burger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 17:22:11
There's no doubt, American pizza is THE BEST!!! Thick and greasy like a slice of lard, yummm! We should teach the whole world how to make it. European chefs can only dream of coming up with something as delicious as our famous E coli topping.

"414,000 Pizza Cases With Possible E. Coli O157:H7"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/87574.php

Steroid beef, OGM vegs, antibiotics milk... here in the US we do know what to eat.

rainroosty
Junior Burger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 17:55:44
We love the pizza at Pizza Hut and also at the Olive Garden. I don't know if anyone here has had Olive Garden's pizza, but you'd be suprised!
It's a home-made style...great! I've also had the same experience with the pizza at Cheesecake Factory......good stuff!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 18:03:29
quote:
Originally posted by Grin

There's no doubt, American pizza is THE BEST!!! Thick and greasy like a slice of lard, yummm! We should teach the whole world how to make it. European chefs can only dream of coming up with something as delicious as our famous E coli topping.

"414,000 Pizza Cases With Possible E. Coli O157:H7"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/87574.php

Steroid beef, OGM vegs, antibiotics milk... here in the US we do know what to eat.

Welcome aboard. Great first post! Laughed my a#s off.
porkbeaks
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 19:38:34
quote:
Originally posted by rainroosty

We love the pizza at Pizza Hut and also at the Olive Garden. I don't know if anyone here has had Olive Garden's pizza, but you'd be suprised!
It's a home-made style...great! I've also had the same experience with the pizza at Cheesecake Factory......good stuff!

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 20:15:35
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:
Originally posted by rainroosty

Me too!
divefl
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/12 20:27:20
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

The only thing I can think is that you are a person who enjoys The Pizza Hut and Olive Garden. Many people do think that is real Italian food.............how sad.

Ouch.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/13 05:41:08
My mother's family lives in Torino and Milano. A standard "quick lunch" is a plain slice of pizza, just a little tomato and cheese. Nothing drippy like American pizza. I can't eat American pizza. I love the food in Italy! Especially the gnocchi!
paoconnell
Hamburger
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/15 19:50:34
According to my son, pizza was invented in Naples, where he was stationed when he was in the Navy. In that city, there are only a limited number of way that pizza is made. No anchovies, mushroom, and black olive pizzas; that's not on the list. IIRC Pizza Margharita, one of the varieties sold, is close to a basic American cheese pizza, but has buffalo mozzarella and sliced tomatoes on it (Maybe with fresh basil? someone here will know).
Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/15 21:17:16
A good Margherita pizza is going to have fresh basil, the leaves, and plenty of it, not the shake on basil that comes out of a herb jar. A Margherita pizza is a pretty basic pizza but when made right tastes very good. Along with basil, a good sprits of olive oil, fresh garlic, mozzarella cheese, sliced Romano tomatoes and you have a great pizza. The fresh basil it what gives it its distinctive flavor. Actually very simple.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/22 06:49:18
Let's keep this simple. Pizza is Italian and Italians make Pizza. Pizza Hut, Olive Garden etc make imitations...some ok, some poor. Pizza Hut does NOT make Pizza. It makes a dough thing with red sugar water. A friend of mine who manages a Pizza Hut told me they put sugar even in the dough!!!
In Italy I've tasted traditional Brick oven pizza from wood fired ovens with every topping possible. Loved pizza with a poached egg.
In Rome try "Pizza Rustica" similar to our sicilian pizza..served by weight.
In my 62 years,I've eaten pizza from around the world. Many call their creations pizza,but Italy still makes the original...AND BEST. Italian American pizzarias are great...many superb, but add the Italian setting,put a slice in my hand, and there is nothing,NOTHING, better than a real slice of real pizza in real italy. Over! Done! That's it!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/23 17:31:51
Having just returned from the Tuscany area of Italy, I am attaching a photo of one of the very best pizzas I have ever had. Taken in a small restaurant in Montepulciano, It is a wood oven baked thin crust pizza loaded with FRESH PORCINI mushrooms and house made sausage. Don't tell me you can get a pizza like this in the US.[img][/img] #9;11/23/2007 #9;145
Mosca
Filet Mignon
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/12/08 22:42:32
Oh good lord twinwillow, that looks awesome.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2