McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
  • Reward points : 0
McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 1:47 PM
Just made the trip through the Maritime Providences and Maine. McDonalds is selling lobster rolls. I had one and it doesn't compare with most of the ones that I have had in that area, but its a hell of a lot cheaper. I think I have seen them in New Hampshire. They definately ain't in Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 1:51 PM
I heard on the news this morning that McDonalds is opening a cajun style restaurant in New Orleans! The horror!

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 1:58 PM
I was warned by the locals in Maine about those rolls, could've had one---I suppose---but we had to make a second trip to the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport! Heaven on a bun!

Sundancer7
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 2:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stanpnepa

I was warned by the locals in Maine about those rolls, could've had one---I suppose---but we had to make a second trip to the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport! Heaven on a bun!

I was driving back from Gloucester and passed the Clam Shack. I looked attractive and I stopped and got a box of clams. They were wonderful and I wish I had bought some other things they listed.

I was not making a recco for McD's Lobster Roll, but it was not bad for the price.

I saw where another poster indicated the McD's was opening a Cajun joint in NO. I saw the same story on Headline News by CNN. They would have had to have bought the concept.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 2:16 PM
McRib is back on the menu again here in Kentuciana.

Sundancer7
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 2:20 PM
I bought a McRib several years ago when they first came out. I thought they were pretty tasty then. Seems like I recall a lot of onions. Maybe that was what it taste good. Seems like it was a synthetic rib

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 2:30 PM
As I posted elsewhere on this site, McD's is selling crabcakes in some of their places on MD's eastern shore. They've been doing this for a couple of years.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 3:26 PM
McDonald's hasn't tried selling cheesesteaks here in the Philly area. The Roy Rogers chain sold them in their restaurants when they had locations in the area and they weren't all that bad. I think they're still on the menu where Roy Rogers are (NJ, NY, MD).

fogwater
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 3:53 PM
I live in Nova Scotia. I thought it was a joke when I first saw a sign for the McLobster Roll. Like, you gotta be kidding! But no. It's real. I haven't tried it and probably won't. I know someone who did and she wasn't dissatisfied, but not completely and deliciously sated either. McDonald's just opened its first downtown Halifax location very recently. I know the cost can be high for lobster rolls (cause they're made outta lobster!) but if you think of it as a special occasion thing then you can get a really good one without the anono-bun.

I love lobster. Mmmm.

bbqeater
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 3:57 PM
McDonald's also sells lobster rolls in some of their Connecticut and Massachusetts locations. I believe they started about two or three years ago. They're actually not bad for the price.

jgleduc
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 4:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that McDonald's sells their lobster rolls throughout New England - at least I've seen them in MA and RI during the past several summers. I suppose it makes sense from a marketing viewpoint; they may not be as good as the real thing, but they're cheaper, probably often easier to obtain (get one on your lunch break without heading through beach traffic and the like) and there are plenty of people who have lobster on their mind this time of year.

JL

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 4:29 PM
Are those McLobster rolls with butter or mayo or ketchup/mustard and pickle?

CheeseWit
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 4:34 PM
...or special sauce??
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Are those McLobster rolls with butter or mayo or ketchup/mustard and pickle?

CheeseWit
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 4:36 PM
Next thing you know, they'll be selling Rippers and Cremators in North Jersey! Yikes!!!

tamandmik
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 5:04 PM
I was just on the droning Connecticut Turnpike this past weekend, returning from Boston. Sure enough, on the rest stops on that road, McDonalds was offering Lobster Rolls. Previously, they were only offered in a McD's I saw in Machias Maine, which I think holds the distinction of being the eastern most McDonalds in the US. I will tell you all that there was no way I could order one, regardless of how good they looked. Try Red's in Wiscasset Maine instead! That's the real deal.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3581
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 5:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CheeseWit

McDonald's hasn't tried selling cheesesteaks here in the Philly area.

Jack in the Box put them on the menu here, complete with ad of a guy going to Philly as a nerd and coming back as a "dese and dose" stud. I haven't tried them---------just doesn't seem to be the right atmosphere to enjoy one of the world's great sandwiches.

CheeseWit
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 5:15 PM
EdSails: that's how I feel about all of these "local specialties" that McDonald's is adding to menus. Mickey D's needs to concentrate on their own specialties and make them the best they can be. Hey, they tried doing their version of a Burger King Whopper, and that failed.

Sundancer7
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 5:46 PM
I was at the McD's at Innsbruck Austria and I was surprised that they sold wine and beer.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

DaveM
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 6:47 PM
Poutine (Fries, cheese curds, and gravy) is sold in McD's in Quebec, as well as McPizza.
DaveM

Sundancer7
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 6:58 PM
DaveM: You know, I saw Poutine in Nova Scotia last week and did not know what it was. Now I know. I saw it several places after that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

tamandmik
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 10:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I was at the McD's at Innsbruck Austria and I was surprised that they sold wine and beer.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I could have sworn that back in the 1970's, some California McDonald's sold wine and beer. I do know that out there, some Pizza Hut's do. We (of course) don't have that option in New Jersey!

LizzieR
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/13/03 10:51 PM
We just returned from Maine and were shocked to find lobster rolls at McDonald's near Freeport. My son even took a picture of the poster in the window so that people at home (N.Y. and Pa.) would believe it. We decided to try one and found it rather small but acceptable. It's hard to ruin lobster!

Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 12:40 AM
Don't be so shocked and horrified by the fact that McDonald's is selling lobster rolls. For one thing, it's not bad lobster, and more importantly, it's the exact same lobster you'll be served at probably over 90% of the places that serve lobster rolls in New England. (Unless there's an old man in a yellow rainslicker tending a large aluminum pot on the dock out back, the lobster roll you order anywhere is going to be made with the exact same lobster chunks that are processed and packaged at a plant somewhere on the Maine coast or in Nova Scotia. It ain't fresh lobster, but there's nothing wrong with it.) It's not substandard lobster, it's just less expensive because of the bulk ordering that McDonald's is able to do because of their size.

Furthermore, New England tradition holds that the only right, just and proper vehicle for said lobster chunks is a J.J. Nissen frankfurter roll, the same ones you buy at the supermarket bread aisle for your backyard cookouts at $1.50 a pack. People who get snooty about the rolls, or claim that lobster rolls are best on big, fluffy "homemade" bakery-style rolls, are secretly laughed at behind their backs. So if it's the same lobster and the same rolls...what exactly is so laughable about McDonalds lobster rolls?

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 1:24 AM
I just read a New Orleans Times-Picayune review of Mickey D's offering in the Cajun line. After reading it I realized that the article described an insipid mass-produced-for-the-masses pseudo-Coonass menu.

Think Guiness Stout Lite!

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7386
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 7:36 AM
I remember visiting Seattle back in the late 1980's. This was back in the days when I didn't know any better. I went into a McDonald's there and they had fish and chips on their menu! When I moved there in the early 90's seattle was no longer the salty dog town it used to be so they took fish n chips off the menu and added espresso and lattes since Seattle was now chic, trendy and happening!

tamandmik
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 8:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Don't be so shocked and horrified by the fact that McDonald's is selling lobster rolls. For one thing, it's not bad lobster, and more importantly, it's the exact same lobster you'll be served at probably over 90% of the places that serve lobster rolls in New England. (Unless there's an old man in a yellow rainslicker tending a large aluminum pot on the dock out back, the lobster roll you order anywhere is going to be made with the exact same lobster chunks that are processed and packaged at a plant somewhere on the Maine coast or in Nova Scotia. It ain't fresh lobster, but there's nothing wrong with it.) It's not substandard lobster, it's just less expensive because of the bulk ordering that McDonald's is able to do because of their size.

Furthermore, New England tradition holds that the only right, just and proper vehicle for said lobster chunks is a J.J. Nissen frankfurter roll, the same ones you buy at the supermarket bread aisle for your backyard cookouts at $1.50 a pack. People who get snooty about the rolls, or claim that lobster rolls are best on big, fluffy "homemade" bakery-style rolls, are secretly laughed at behind their backs. So if it's the same lobster and the same rolls...what exactly is so laughable about McDonalds lobster rolls?

LuckyBishop:

Let me ask you, why then is Lobster Roll offered only in New England area locations, if they are able to order in bulk, and thus save money, why then are they not offered nationally? Given what you just said, if there were lobster rolls offered in a south Jersey McD's, I would actually consider trying it, once! I suspect many others nationally would follow my lead. It is probably my all time favorite delicacy!

fogwater
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 9:24 AM
quote:

Well, Laughing Bishop, I guess I don't mind being snooty when it comes to McDonald's because there are other options. Where I live, (Nova Scotia), you often do get to eat fresh lobster. You sometimes even get to meet your food first. I like the idea of eating food close to the source. McDonald's is certainly not going to suffer from me not being a customer, or even deriding it. My question is: why must they ape local customs? I guess the answer, as usual, is $$. I don't mind giving money to people making a livelihood, but I don't like to feed behemoths. They can fend for themselves.

I agree that cheap white rolls are good to hold lobster. They have to sort of dissolve from all the butter too. I don't mind rolls made by human beings and not machines.

cheers.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6232
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 11:40 AM
Fortunately there are those remaining 10% (according to Laughing Bishop) of places in NE where they serve REAL lobster meat in their rolls.....not processed or packaged or frozen. By now everyone should know that the lobster meat in that roll came from dead lobsters found in the tanks every morning and hopefully cooked that day. No lobster company in their right mind would take a perfectly good alive 'n kickin' bug and cook it up for meat for a sangwich! So you can only hope for meat that was not dead too long and cooked up properly. As for the roll.....a grilled Stop-N-Shop brand does quite nicely. One of the few places in New England that hand-picks their own lobster AND crab meat.....Yankee Lobster on Northern Ave. in Boston. The crab is even better than the lobster if you can believe it.

johnnym
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 12:46 PM
quote:

I think 90% is an exaggeration. I had several family members work at a tiny 6 table seafood shack in mid-coast Maine (New Harbor), and my cousin spent a lot of time handpicking meat out of fresh boiled lobsters for the rolls. If that place, which was great, but tiny, uses fresh meat, then I have to believe that more than 10% of the places along the coast do.

Lucky Bishop
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 3:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Let me ask you, why then is Lobster Roll offered only in New England area locations, if they are able to order in bulk, and thus save money, why then are they not offered nationally?

For the same reason they only have green chile cheeseburgers on the menu at McDonalds in New Mexico: it's a regional thing. Sure, there are people outside of New England who know what lobster rolls are and like them, but those people are a small minority. They wouldn't sell enough of them outside of New England to make it worthwhile!

tamandmik
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/14/03 3:28 PM
You know what? I think I would also take a shot at a green chile cheeseburger!

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Fri, 08/15/03 12:11 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tamandmik

Let me ask you, why then is Lobster Roll offered only in New England area locations, if they are able to order in bulk, and thus save money, why then are they not offered nationally?

For the same reason they only have green chile cheeseburgers on the menu at McDonalds in New Mexico: it's a regional thing. Sure, there are people outside of New England who know what lobster rolls are and like them, but those people are a small minority. They wouldn't sell enough of them outside of New England to make it worthwhile!

It's the same thing with the crab cakes, they only sell them on Maryland's Eastern Shore, you won't find them in the Baltimore area. Put em where the tourist biz is. Have Mcd's at home but McD's with crab - Lobster - ?whatever? nope, let's stop & give it a try! May be an attempt to draw in Mom & Dad when the kids yell for the familiar McDs.

jlobough
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Fri, 08/15/03 1:47 PM
I know now that football season is coming, McDonald's will be rolling out the Bratwursts in Illinois and Wisconsin (another regional promotion idea, much like the lobster rolls). We also see the McRib here (an insult to all reputable BBQ in my opinion). The brats are just another thing for the Bears fans and Packers fans to argue about.

Lucky Bishop
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Fri, 08/15/03 3:38 PM
I'm not actually much of a McDonald's fan (it's the sort of place I'll go to maybe once a month, and it's rare that I order anything but a Big Mac and fries), but out of curiosity last summer, I tried the hot dog they were offering then -- something like "The All-American Dog," with relish, onions and mustard -- and it was actually surprisingly good! Beat the heck out of anything from Weinerschnitzel, anyway...

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/20/03 6:23 PM
I am only a casual McDonalds casualty even though I know how to order for the freshest stuff (my son was a manager for a few years at McDees). London Mcky Dees sells beer. In Bejing, Mcky Dees does not do Peking duck or dumplings. Its stricly NY area Mcky Dees fare. And I have the menu to prove it. The only things is you have to be able to read Chinese to verify my claim.

Sundancer7
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/20/03 6:31 PM
quote:

I'm not actually much of a McDonald's fan (it's the sort of place I'll go to maybe once a month, and it's rare that I order anything but a Big Mac and fries), but out of curiosity last summer, I tried the hot dog they were offering then -- something like "The All-American Dog," with relish, onions and mustard -- and it was actually surprisingly good! Beat the heck out of anything from Weinerschnitzel, anyway...

Lucky Bishop: I believe they were actually selling Johnsonville Brats. I bought some in Canton, OH and they were great.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/20/03 6:36 PM
The Mickey D's around Austin have started selling Squashed McArmadillo. A regional favorite...

Sundancer7
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/20/03 6:46 PM
Bushie: Gag a maggot

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 08/20/03 6:57 PM
quote:

Bushie: Gag a maggot

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Lucky Bishop
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/21/03 1:20 AM
No, the brats were something different (for one thing, I think they sold those in the early fall, as an Oktoberfest thing). This was a frankfurter, no question. And rather a nice one at that.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6232
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/21/03 3:11 AM
MdD's could GIVE AWAY their lobster rolls and I still wouldn't eat one. That goes for their frankfurters, ribs, nasty little shriveled up wads of grease they call burgers, etc. etc. Their only redeming factor is that they sell diet Coke. If I couldn't find any local food or Roadfood, I'd rather stop in a grocery store, get a piece of decent bread and a slice of ham and make a sandwich, and take that and a glass of wine or cold beer next to a stream and sit on the bank and watch the water go by. Don't like fast food places, never did, never will. Can't teach an old chef new tricks, sorry.

Rick F.
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/21/03 8:46 AM
quote:

I bought a McRib several years ago when they first came out. I thought they were pretty tasty then. Seems like I recall a lot of onions. Maybe that was what it taste good. Seems like it was a synthetic rib

They were synthetic, sort of. When you grind pork fairly coarsely, form it into patties, and cook it, that's what you get. I used to do that w/ sausage in an Italian restaurant.) Anyhow, add the grill marks, BBQ sauce, onion, and pickle, and there you go. Me, I think it was the pickle that added something special. I've never had it on BBQ anywhere else.

Rick F.
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 08/21/03 8:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop Sure, there are people outside of New England who know what lobster rolls are and like them, but those people are a small minority.

I think that's the issue. I had never heard of a lobster roll until I started haunting this board!

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Fri, 08/22/03 12:40 PM
Recently Jack Osbourne of the MTV Osbournes show commented in an enthusiastic voice that the McRib is back. I gotta tell you I thought the McRib was one of the worst tasting conglomeration of reconstituted crap I have had the displeasure of tasting in a long time. Then again when I was sixteen, I may have felt differently.

Hepcat
  • Total Posts : 374
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 10/15/03 6:51 PM
Stanpnepa!
quote:
... but we had to make a second trip to the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport! Heaven on a bun!

Is there anything else you'd recommend at the Clam Shack other than lobster rolls?

Any other favourite seafood restaurants in Kennebunkport?

pfarmer241
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 10/16/03 10:32 PM
Visited the Clam Shack in Ipswich, MA and agree with Sundancer. The fired clams are the best I have ever had. I was raised in New England and they are the best.

pfarmer241
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Fri, 10/17/03 6:10 AM
If you want a lobster roll with REAL chuncks of lobster, try the Seafarer Tavern in WIckford, RI. Had to cut the lobster with a knife they were so large. Just the right amount of mayo and no other fillers.

Argent
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Fri, 10/17/03 7:40 AM
Dose this mean Maryland can look foward to the "McCrab"
I think I need an adult beverage

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Fri, 10/17/03 7:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Argent

Dose this mean Maryland can look foward to the "McCrab"
I think I need an adult beverage

Maryland already has a McCrab and his name is William Donald Schaefer.*

* Current Maryland Comptroller, former Baltimore Maryland and all-around curmudgeon. Apologies for the joke that (only) every single Marylander will get.

OGsama
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Wed, 12/13/06 11:38 AM
McLobster rolls aren't that bad, but they're far from good. I'd rather KFC's Poutine (fries with cheese crumbles and chicken gravy) if it has to be fast food.

As far as clams go, the best warm-water fried clams I've had were at a small diner named "Magnolia" back on one of the side streets of the French Quarter. My preference, however, runs toward old-water seafood and for fried northern clams I've had none better than the ones at Diane's, up the coastal highway near Five Islands, Nova Scotia. And while you're there, don't forget to stop in at the Five Islands Fish Market to get a nice (live or cooked) lobster and some mussels. You might even be able to get Yvonne to make up a meal-sized lobster roll if you're in for that instead of clams. Also in that area is the dutchman's cheese farm in Economy, a must if you like gouda.

On the matter of Freeport, I can't currently recall the name of the place, but there's a little sandwich and seafood shack down Rt.1 on the southern side of town, not far from the Hampton Inn. Absolutely brilliant fare to complement a weathered and worn exterior. Can anyone familiar with Freeport help me remember the name?

Milt
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Sun, 12/24/06 6:29 PM
Several years ago (1992 to be exact), we were told about lobster rolls before we made a trip to New England and the Eastern provinces. I tried them at several places starting in Montauk on Long Island and continuing north. We had McLobster while in Maine and - as has already been said - not bad for the price. It was way cheaper (read that any way you wish) than any of the others. McDonald's used hot dog buns while everyone else used a nicer roll. The tasting of various lobster rolls is one of the more pleasant experiences from that very enjoyable trip.

cwjudyjr
  • Total Posts : 126
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Mon, 12/25/06 4:00 PM
In Maryland, at times, Mickey D's has a crabcake sandwich. Never as good as Mom Moms!

Conrad

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: McLobster in Maine and the Maritime Providences - Thu, 12/28/06 2:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by OGsama

On the matter of Freeport, I can't currently recall the name of the place, but there's a little sandwich and seafood shack down Rt.1 on the southern side of town, not far from the Hampton Inn. Absolutely brilliant fare to complement a weathered and worn exterior. Can anyone familiar with Freeport help me remember the name?

I do think you are referring to Day's.. which technically is in Yarmouth, It is so close to the city boundaries.
It is right near the Muddy Rudder, and yes right by the Freeport Inn (Best Western), and the Freeport Cafe, which Holly Eats has reviewed.
The Hampton Inn is almost right in town, close to LL Bean.
http://www.hollyeats.com/FreeportCafe.htm