cod fish

Cheeseburger
2007/06/19 12:36:07
Hi all.....I was at the supermarket (publix) this weekend and I was going to buy some cod fish. It was $17.00 per pound!! I asked the guy behind the fish counter when did the price get so high and why and he just said he didn't know. Have any of you noticed this?
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: cod fish 2007/06/19 12:54:20
As for the WHY--because the cod were severely over fished and the population is in serious trouble--as to when--quite a while back--in a lot of the country cod was unavailable until recently when the Chinese started harvesting it--but they are SMALL fillets--the bigger North Atlantic cod are rare these days. I know that the price of dried cod --in the box is about 8 times what it was 15 yrs ago.
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2007/06/19 13:12:41
Thanks tiki. I didn't realize that cod over fished. I was talking about the thick atlantic cod.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: cod fish 2007/06/19 15:48:30
We use to fish cod, used line and tackle. They are a deep water fish, hang around the bottom. To reel those suckers in it was like reeling in a boot full of water. No fight, just a lot of work.

A good sized cod was anywhere from 20 to 30lbs, but they could run a lot higher. Somertime they became wormy so we liked the smaller ones 12 to 18lbs, didn't seem to have any worms. But alas, they are no longer there.
Now most of our cod is Icelandic, whatever that means, could be caught anywhere. Chow Jim
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2007/06/19 15:56:43
Canada's abundant cod stocks off of Labrador and Newfoundland were fished to the brink of extinction in one of the most ecological disasters of the 20th century. Grand Banks got closed. Fishermen in New England could only go out and fish on certain days and within certain hours. A wooden cod hangs in the State House in Boston as a symbol of prosperity. Not any more. Unbelievable that the saying "you could walk across the Atlantic on the backs of the cod" is no longer true. We managed to fish out an entire ocean.
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2007/06/19 16:34:06
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Now most of our cod is Icelandic, whatever that means, could be caught anywhere. Chow Jim

Every day a plane flies from Iceland to Boston, Jim. There are people on the plane, on the top deck, but a lot of top quality cod comes in as freight. Iceland has done a good job managing their cod stocks, so they still have cod to sell. Fishermen in Iceland can still work hard and make a good living too. I remember fishing for cod too. (out off Noman's land near Marthas Vinyard) We sold our extra for 5 cents a pound and got enough for gas. After the Russian factory ships came through there was not much left.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: cod fish 2007/06/19 19:49:56
I was in Nova Scotia not long ago and they had a huge Russian mother ship visible from the coast and its job was to receive the fish from their huge fishing ships with nets that were better than a mile long. They would bring the fish back to the mother ship for processing. They remained legal by fishing outside of USA and Canada's territorial limits but it still caused an uproar in the Nova Scotia Newspapers.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2007/06/19 20:27:27
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Every day a plane flies from Iceland to Boston, Jim. There are people on the plane, on the top deck, but a lot of top quality cod comes in as freight. Iceland has done a good job managing their cod stocks, so they still have cod to sell. Fishermen in Iceland can still work hard and make a good living too. I remember fishing for cod too. (out off Noman's land near Marthas Vinyard) We sold our extra for 5 cents a pound and got enough for gas. After the Russian factory ships came through there was not much left.

I don't mean to de-rail this thread but the mention of Noman's Land brought back a memory. A good friend who was a scalloper lost his boat and his life there with his two black labs. Unfortunately the only thing that washed up on shore was the boat. He used to bring me scallops in the shell with the roe and all "European Style". They were delicious.
seatown22
Junior Burger
RE: cod fish 2007/07/22 02:20:45
Wow, that is really interest about the cod being overfished. Does this include black cod and lingcod? I used to fish lingcod in Canada and it seemed like we couldnt keep em out the boat (pretty anecdotal data, i know)...
I recall McCormicks in Seattle having a really good cod dish that i remember being cheaper than most the other stuff on the menu... maybe those prices have changes since last time i went in
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2007/07/27 13:49:04
We've been overfishing cod for the past 500 years off of the Canada/ New England coast.If you read your early histories, cod fishing is a continuing motif. Thank you, John Cabot!
I remember years ago, Maine fishermen selling their catch to Russians just off the boundary waters. The Russians usually offered a better price than the native markets.
Unfortunately, the Russians, the Japanese and the Icelanders all overfish and they scrape the bottom- taking everything.
rainroosty
Junior Burger
RE: cod fish 2007/07/27 13:58:22
Cod, at Publix, is nowhere near $17 per pound. That's at least $5 overcharge. I think your Publix is doing something crooked. (at least according to what we pay here in South Florida).
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2007/07/27 16:17:33
i just paid $10.99 a pound for U.S - caught, never frozen cod at Whole Foods...(needless to say, i bought about 5 pounds, portioned it up, and vacuum sealed what i didn't use immediately for the freezer!)
the plainsman
Junior Burger
RE: cod fish 2007/07/30 19:34:24
Beardsly's Dried Codfish used to be available in supermarkets in a small box, used to look like shaved wood excelsior packing. My mom would soak it in water and use it in a recipe(on the box)to make Codfish cakes. Have been looking for it to no avail. Probably the victim of the cod overfishing, too. I guess I liked it as that was 30 years ago and I still remebered the name!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2007/07/30 19:50:48
I just paid $4.99 lb. for fresh Pacific cod the other day. I prepared it New England style, broiled, then topped with seasoned breadcrumbs, drizzled with butter. It was to die for. No difference in taste or size between Pacific and Atlantic cod.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2008/05/23 20:14:18
Well, its Friday night in Milwaukee, and just about every restaurant here is serving a fish fry.Just wanted to report on a fun place here in Menomonee falls that has an excellent fry made with cod.The restaurant is called the Schwabenhof,and is really a rather large hall with a bar attached.Looks good for wedding receptions, etc...The all you can eat dinner is beautifully lightly breaded and deep fried cod,choice of potato pancakes,french fries or baked potatoe,cole slaw and the obligatory marble rye bread and butter.The price is $8.95- a real steal here.While this is not an elegant place,everything on the walls is written in German,the music is piped in accordian type GermanFest style tunes,and totally appropriate for the type of restaurant it touts to be.While the fish is excellent, the cole slaw was tasteless.I will ask for a different type of side dish next time.I was with two of my favorite people,but the only experience that ruined our dining pleasure was a woman next to us constantly complaing how slow the service was(Even getting on her cell phone to complain to someone!)We felt badly for her husband, who pretty much sat there and said nothing.So, instead of getting totally annoyed,we made up a story of their life.Quietly,of course!! All in all,a fun time and good food-which is what i consider roadfood to be.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 07:15:36
Not to doubt you but I'd be very surprised if in fact it was actually cod.
My guess it's probably pollack at that price. Still a good white fish used for many catch of the day or fish and chip type dishes.
I haven't checked the landing numbers recently but I know most areas are closed to cod fishing at this time. Chow Jim
umbada
Hamburger
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 14:35:41
Fresh cod here in Nova Scotia is $6-7 a pound. Locals prefer haddock, a seafood staple, and about the same price as cod. Most fish n chips places only serve haddock. Haddock is considered a cleaner fish than cod, thus the preference.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 17:31:50
I do love both cod and pollock and have caught them in Boston and the Cape Cod area. I prefer haddock because it does not have parasites. Cod is full of worms. Here in W. PA cod was $16.95/lb the other day. I bought Maryland crab and made crabcakes! Looking forward to getting back to AK next week and having king crab and halibut.
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 18:05:12
if cod is full of worms, why is it served nation-wide?
agnesrob
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 18:12:44
Full of worms?
Robearjr
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 19:04:38
I saw fried cod today on a menu at $9.99 and fried Whiting at 8.99. I didn't get either, but I was at Jad's CaddyShack in Essex Maryland and that place has pretty healthy portions.

umbada
Hamburger
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 19:36:08
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

I do love both cod and pollock and have caught them in Boston and the Cape Cod area. I prefer haddock because it does not have parasites. Cod is full of worms. Here in W. PA cod was $16.95/lb the other day. I bought Maryland crab and made crabcakes! Looking forward to getting back to AK next week and having king crab and halibut.

In my posting I said that haddock were considered "cleaner." I didn't want to get into details. But you've really opened a can of worms.

So what now? There are parasites in fish and cod seems to have them more frequently. However, most parasites are removed in the fish plant. The ones missed are killed by cooking and are harmless. I still buy cod with full knowledge of the reality and so do many others. However, now you know why, in cod country, haddock is preferred to cod.
Poverty Pete
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 20:35:28
quote:
Originally posted by Sneetch

i just paid $10.99 a pound for U.S - caught, never frozen cod at Whole Foods...(needless to say, i bought about 5 pounds, portioned it up, and vacuum sealed what i didn't use immediately for the freezer!)

Why would one think it virtuous to buy never frozen fish, then toss it in the freezer?
cecif
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 21:19:29
quote:
Originally posted by umbada
So what now? There are parasites in fish and cod seems to have them more frequently. However, most parasites are removed in the fish plant. The ones missed are killed by cooking and are harmless. I still buy cod with full knowledge of the reality and so do many others. However, now you know why, in cod country, haddock is preferred to cod.

As one who has HAD a parasite from undercooked seafood, I can't agree with the harmless comment. I'm taking lleechef's word for it and avoiding certain types of fish. That parasite did me in and took the docs a long time to diagnose for some reason. Pretty awful experience! (Thanks Lisa, I'm happy to know more about cod... since you know I live in "cod heaven"!)

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 21:33:09
quote:
Originally posted by agnesrob

Full of worms?

Absolutely. That's why I never buy cod.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 22:46:38
I hate to break the bad news but halibut also has parasites. Not that it will make me stop eating it.......or cod for that matter. All of the cod and halibut are "candled" by fish workers that pull out the worms with tweezers. Yes, I know it sounds nasty but that's how they do it.

Oh, cecif, I did not realize that you lived in Beverly! Shucks, my Black Cow restaurant is right up Rt. 1A in Hamilton.

cecif
RE: cod fish 2008/05/24 22:59:33
quote:

Oh, cecif, I did not realize that you lived in Beverly! Shucks, my Black Cow restaurant is right up Rt. 1A in Hamilton.

LOL, Lisa I know... we have discussed it elsewhere (months ago at least)... in fact every time I drive by I think of you! I haven't been in for a long time but when I do I know I am supposed to tell someone you said hi (I think it was the BC). And some day soon, I promise, I will get back to the Daily Catch (too many people on the 6/1 meet'n'eat to go there... sigh). Last time you looked though, I was probably listed in Marblehead.
Robearjr
RE: cod fish 2008/05/25 08:36:10
Now that I think about it, I've never seen Cod, Halibut or Haddock sushi/sashimi. Perhaps this ommission could be due to the parasites.
ann peeples
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2008/05/25 09:51:26
Well, whatever I had,Jim,it was one of the best fish fries I have had in the Milwaukee area!
MissJohnnycakes
Junior Burger
RE: cod fish 2008/09/30 19:01:17
For a good read about cod, including its long history of overfishing, get the book called "Cod." Also available as a set of CDs. The author has also written books about salt procurement and oysters. The back section includes recipes from around the world.

Black cod is not a true cod. It certainly tastes and feels like cod, though (delicate and delicious).
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2008/09/30 19:10:21
quote:
Originally posted by umbada

Fresh cod here in Nova Scotia is $6-7 a pound. Locals prefer haddock, a seafood staple, and about the same price as cod. Most fish n chips places only serve haddock. Haddock is considered a cleaner fish than cod, thus the preference.

Also, Haddock has a higher protein ratio than any other fish.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2008/09/30 19:13:53
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

quote:

Why would one think it virtuous to buy never frozen fish, then toss it in the freezer?

For the reason, no one wants to buy thawed frozen fish and then re-freeze it.
GCD1962
Hamburger
RE: cod fish 2008/09/30 21:42:18
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

quote:

I do it all the time. I buy fresh from a supplier in Alaska, and some from a supplier in Maine. The difference is that when I get the fish I know it is super fresh. I can't eat it all at once, so I freeze the rest. When you buy already frozen, you don't know the source or when it was processed, or how long it has been held in the freezer
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2008/10/01 00:49:24
A curious sign today in Wal*Mart on cod: FRESH ALASKAN COD PRODUCT OF CHINA. I know that we can see Russia from Alaska but DANG! those are some swimmin cod arriving in Alaska via China! I politely asked the pimply-faced young man behind the counter what the sign meant. He shrugged his shoulders and shuffled away behind the lobster tank that was devoid of lobsters. SCARY.

GCD, who is your Alaskan supplier?
brittneal
RE: cod fish 2008/10/01 01:13:22
I remember as the chef at the Boston Half-Shell in Denver in the late 70's that cod was one of the biggest and best sellers on the menu. i learned right off to check it close as it could have some nasty worms. We almost exclusively used scrod and they were free of parasites. For a while there was a shortage and we were buying larger cod from fresh off the docks and having it direct air shipped at least 3 times a week. It got so bad that we just quit selling it for months. Suppoesedly they are harmless when cooked fully but after pulling some of those worms out i refused to risk it.
By the way, my Kroger fish market had some nice cod a bit ago for 6 bux a pound but it was previously frozen.
I also read that dried/saly cod had shot up to around 20 bux/lb and a lot of places quit selling it. Taking a peek i saw that Gortons had it for 35/lb! the reason poeple bought it was not only for year round storage but for its reasonable cost. thats to much just for fish balls or creamed cod. lobster would be better and cheaper!
britt
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: cod fish 2008/10/01 01:24:06
lleechef,

Where are you located in Western PA? What Town?
FriedClamFanatic
RE: cod fish 2008/10/01 13:45:26
For those of you who have more interest in the subject, there was a great book written, called "The Cod:A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World" which traces much of the history of fishing them and the industries that mushroomed from them. Mark Kurlansky, I think was the author's anme and he also worte an interesting book on salt
easy1
Junior Burger
RE: cod fish 2008/10/01 14:14:55
quote:

I hate to break the bad news but halibut also has parasites. Not that it will make me stop eating it.......or cod for that matter. All of the cod and halibut are "candled" by fish workers that pull out the worms with tweezers. Yes, I know it sounds nasty but that's how they do it.

I've been to lunch at the Black Cow, excellent! Right across the street from the Old Talbots building/store, very nice town, I know some people who work in the town hall.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2008/10/01 18:07:45
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

lleechef,

Where are you located in Western PA? What Town?

Rochester, not far from where buffetbuster lives.

easy1, thanks for your comments on the Black Cow!

Giant Eagle is advertising Alaskan fish during the month of October. Unfortunately the halibut, salmon, pollock and flounder were all frozen. Nothing against frozen fish but I prefer fresh so I opted for the U-10 sea scallops from New Bedford.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: cod fish 2008/10/03 08:57:26
I eat a lot of seafood and live in an area that was ONCE the leading purveyor of fish to the nation. Those days are gone and not likely to return in the near future.
Cod growing up was readily available fresh and at a resonable price.
Today the only cod or haddock that can be found has all been preiviously frozen. This is all due to offshore factory ships where the catch is processed at sea. A good product and hard to tell that it was at one time frozen.
Ground fishing {day boats} are severly restricted on the number of days they can fish and at what time of the year also. I don't know of anybody investing in new gear or even boat repairs at this time due to restrictions.
The gulf of Maine has reported the return of cod in good numbers recently, hopefully it's a trend moving in the right direction.
Chow Jim
GCD1962
Hamburger
RE: cod fish 2008/10/08 22:13:36
Good Alaska Supplier for Halibut, Salmon, etc.
http://www.alaskaseafood.com/ (ask for Dan)
http://www.islandseafoods.com/content/ (great selection & prices)
http://www.alaskacannery.com/ (call and ask for current pricing

Great Supplier in Maine for Fresh Haddock, Scallops, lobster,etc.
http://www.gilmoreseafood.com/price.html

It pays to order at least 20 lbs as air freight is high at around $3.00 lb. Even with the air cost the cost at times is less than you would pay locally, and it is far superior
Bill Reynolds
Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2009/02/22 02:05:19
   I remember back in about the mid 70's a Long John Silver opened in my hometown in Tenn. and when I first went there I remember reading that their fish were cod. I loved that fish so much that I was there at least once a week and to tell the truth I still go to the ones down here from time to time, just not as much. I just wonder with the shortage of cod if they are still doing it or if they have gone to something else, maybe the black cod? The fish they are selling now are still quiet tastey, IMHO.
beijinger
Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2009/02/22 03:16:27
          9 years back arrived in Guangzhou China to meet the lady who a few years later became Mrs. Beijinger and changed my life. She had never been to Guangzhou and ofcourse I'd never ventured to China. The plan was we would fly immedately Cdidn't know that) to meet her family well airplane being airplanes flight cancelled 6 hours of chat pursued (heaven) though neither of us  spoke the others language.
        We ventured out  in a blinding rain storm, tow to  occupy 6 hours we found a restaurant low and behold that had Alaska cod was fantastic!  Cooked lightly, lightly seasoned (Chinese seasonings) served pipping hot  skin on wrapped in aluminum foil. The other food was ok the cod we ordered 4 servings and they brought us 5. All the workers kept coming over to try to talk sit smile wave at me and the beauty of my dreams. 
         Had the cod of stunk who knows may never of found the girl i love. Don't knock China Alaska cod it won my heart. Hubert
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: cod fish 2009/02/22 12:43:17
Windy's is promoting cod on their fish sandwich. I just saw an add this am.
Joe
Phishmonger
Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2009/02/22 13:21:53
The cod being offered at Wendy's is Pacific Cod, caught in the cold Alaska (and environs) waters. Mild and flaky, I guess it's pretty good. When I owned a fish market, we thankfully were able to get FRESH cod and haddock. The haddock was cleaner, as previously discussed, and the cod had to be candled to eliminate the parasitic worms (which were harmless, as previously discussed), but very off-putting to encounter. IMHO, cod is superior in flavor and texture. I surely miss the availability of fresh seafood now that the store I sold ten years ago is closed, but find some pretty good stuff at a fish market about 20 miles north of here, and in occasional trips to Whole Foods (where the price is high, but the quality extraordinary). I think most of the cod sold in restaurants is Pacific Cod.
tmiles
RE: cod fish 2009/05/27 18:25:01
MissJohnnycakes

For a good read about cod, including its long history of overfishing, get the book called "Cod." Also available as a set of CDs. The author has also written books about salt procurement and oysters. The back section includes recipes from around the world.

Black cod is not a true cod. It certainly tastes and feels like cod, though (delicate and delicious).

I just got around to reading it. It was a best seller a few years ago. Excellent book. Thanks for reminding me to read it.

brickie
Cheeseburger
RE: cod fish 2009/06/10 12:50:08
Just go get your own!
They're biting
http://www.bunnyclark.com/update.htm
post edited by brickie - 2010/04/27 20:31:27
Kai31410
Junior Burger
Re:cod fish 2009/06/12 00:13:38
INGREDIENTS:
  • 5 oz. rice
  • 2½ oz. shredded codfish
  • 1 medium sized onion, sliced
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
  • 12 tablespoons oil
  • 2 stock cubes, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons seasoned soy sauce
  • dash of black - or white pepper
  • 1 - 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • ¾ liters coconut milk
METHOD / DIRECTIONS:
  1. Heat oil; add the sliced onions.
  2. Also add the garlic, tomatoes, black - or white pepper and the stock cubes.
  3. Then add the soy sauce, the shredded codfish and stir.
  4. Let simmer; codfish should be light brown.
  5. Add the codfish and the coconut milk to the rice and stir.
  6. Cover the pot or rice cooker and cook.
  7. Serve with sliced cucumber and / or tomato.
_____
tours from toronto to niagara falls
Singletreff Singlebörse

post edited by Kai31410 - 2009/06/12 04:56:07
casadei
Junior Burger
Re:cod fish 2009/09/21 19:57:44
I asked my favorite sushi restaurant for the name of their supplier and contacted them directly.  Groomers Seafood 210-377-3474 here in San Antonio provides fresh fish and shellfish to most of the restaurants in San Antonio and a lot of South Texas.  What they get was still swimming 24-48 hours ago.  When you walk in, the cutting room has windows all the way around so you can actually watch your selection being cut to order.  There is no minimum order size.  And the prices and quality are far better than your local grocer.  A couple of weeks ago they had bought an entire boat's catch of Gulf White Shrimp and sold size 6-10, headless for $5 per pound.   Black Cod fillets are 14.95 per pound, Grouper fillets are 15.95/lb, Farmed Salmon 7.95/lb, Wild or Tasmanian  Salmon 11.00/lb. 
newflute
Junior Burger
Re:cod fish 2009/11/02 21:23:34
Everything is going up but $17 is like dope or something.  That's way too much.
What, is it some kind of sacrificial,  holy fish or something?
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
tmiles
Re:cod fish 2013/07/09 09:45:45
New update,,,,,,older topic.  It is not getting any better. We have short term idea folks who need to pay mortgages now, who think that there is plenty of fish, and only bad management keeping them from getting it. Others would ban fishing for a few years (and then for a few years more?) to let stocks recover.  I have not eaten cod in at least a year, but haddock is well available, and priced with steak, in the $5 to $10 range depending on quality and size.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:cod fish 2013/07/09 12:00:54
We eat cod on a fairly regular basis because it's one of the few non-farm raised fish available here in the Columbus area.  It's not cheap........usually $12.99/lb.  Alaskan halibut is $23.99/lb. " />.  When the season first opened I got 1 lb. and a can of jumbo lump crabmeat to make "crab-crusted halibut".  That meal set me back 50 bucks! 
During the season we also get fresh walleye and yellow perch.
Invariably when I tell someone that I'm a chef they always ask the same question, "What's your favorite thing to cook?"  To which I reply, "fish.....not shellfish......just fish".
So what the heck am I doing in land-locked Columbus??  
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:cod fish 2013/07/09 13:15:12
Target Stores claims to have committed to selling wild caught salmon only, no farm raised. Still, it will never be as good as totally fresh in Alaska.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:cod fish 2013/07/09 13:32:09
Something about buying fish at Target just doesn't seem right. 
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:cod fish 2013/07/09 14:05:59
The Wholefoods store I shop at here in Dallas has fresh Alaskan Cod fairly often. I think the price is about $19.95 LB.

I usually have them cut a piece for me from the thicker section. I like to bake it "Italian style" using the same ingredients and cooking style used for shrimp or clams oreganata but substituting the cod.
The link below is for shrimp oreganata but just substitute Cod for the shellfish. I use Panko for my breadcrumbs and EVOO instead of butter. And, lots of freshly chopped garlic and parsley. I don't saute the garlic separately. I mix everything in one bowl adding more Panko and another drizzle of EVOO over the top of the fish before putting in the oven to bake. Don't forget the fresh lemon! It's delicious!

http://homecooking.about....hrecipes/r/blsea39.htm
post edited by Twinwillow - 2013/07/09 14:12:44
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:cod fish 2013/07/09 14:23:35
I just looked at a post of mine on this thread from 7/30/07 where I said I had just paid $4.99/lb. for cod!!!  The price has almost tripled since then!  I don't care.  I'm still going to buy it here and go to Wholey's in Pgh. for those mammoth fried cod sandwiches, no matter what the price!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:cod fish 2013/07/09 19:32:55
I know it sounds goofy, Lisa, but certain Target stores in certain areas are  getting some top notch stuff. I work at one in a high end area, and people expect high end food. Believe it or not, the steaks are better than most supermarkets around.
tmiles
Re:cod fish 2013/07/20 15:23:40
I noted very nice cod at A&P (retail) Fish in Worcester Mass, at $6.99/lb today. They also had beautiful striped sea bass at $24.99. Around here, the only usual way to get striper is to be buddies with a fisherman, or catch it yourself. A&P retail is a division of a fairly large locally owned wholesale seafood company. They do a great job.
Update, I didn't stop in but cod was 4.99lb, today, according to the sign. Chix lobster 4.49.  (probably soft shell) 
post edited by tmiles - 2013/08/01 11:57:14